Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

- News Ticker

Donations - Please consider donating to The Ocarina Network to keep us afloat. More detail can be found in this topic. •
The Ocarina Network - Serving the ocarina community since April 27th 2008
Welcome to The Ocarina Network, a place for ocarina enthusiasts from all around the globe!

You're currently viewing The Ocarina Network as a guest.

If you join The Ocarina Network, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. On top of that we have a great number of music scores and backtracks for you to download.

Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Register at The Ocarina Network!

If you're already a member please log into your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
  • Pages:
Takashi Ocarina by Kuolong Pan; A new website
Topic Started: 19 Oct 2011, 07:45 AM (23,822 Views)
Krešimir Cindrić

Great news! Maestro Kuolong Pan finally offers his ocarinas to public. I had the privilege to try one at the festival in Budrio. They are truly beautiful instruments. His prices seem very fair, so if you're looking for a superb, high quality ocarina in typical oriental style, look no further.

Posted ImagePosted Image
Posted Image

http://www.pankuolong.url.tw
Edited by Krešimir Cindrić, 19 Oct 2011, 07:47 AM.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Bateleur
Member Avatar
Meh.

I'm chuffed as chips! I'm glad to know that I can finally acquire a Takashi ocarina.... or seven. :)

Cambell
Member Avatar
That guy

Those white ocarinas look really nice, if a little strangely shaped (compared to the general Asian style). I quite like them, but I have spent more than enough recently :/

Everett Ocarinas
Member Avatar
aka Kalasinar

I remember being enthralled by Atsuko's wonderful Takashi ocarina in Budrio, thankyou so much Kres for posting this...i think i'm definitely going to get at least one of these C:

Ocarinadiva
Member Avatar
Play what makes you happy. - Achint

This is truly great news. I have a Takashi 4C, which I received as a gift two years ago, and it is a wonderful ocarina. I highly recommend them and hope to get a complete set one day.

Yoshi
Member Avatar
Triple Ocarinist
They are beautiful! Want so bad now D:

Everett Ocarinas
Member Avatar
aka Kalasinar

I just ordered an ocarina from Mr Kuolong Pan, i had a few questions to ask, and he was very polite and informative. Unfortunately i can only afford one ocarina this close to Christmas, but i hope to someday own the whole set, they are just so wonderful ^^

Dullahan
Member Avatar
Don't you just love soundwalking?

WAAAAAAAH!! I have been waiting for this moment for SO LONG!! I already had tried to contact him about it and he told his website would soon be available, but that was months ago! :D:D: I really need one of those.

Yoshi
Member Avatar
Triple Ocarinist
does anyone know about the breath requirement of these ocarinas? I'm very interested, but I don't want to buy one if they have too high breath =(

Bateleur
Member Avatar
Meh.

What breath requirement is too high? Unless one has a lung disorder of some sort, any instrument's breath requirement can become manageable with practice. Menaglios in general only take a fraction of the breath of a trumpet, clarinet, or concert flute. These most likely take a requirement similar to Focalink or TNG ocarinas. Perhaps Diva can chime in and tell us about her 4C.

Yoshi
Member Avatar
Triple Ocarinist
Yes but I know that i will not enjoy a very high breath ocarina, so I don't want to waste my time and money if it does require a lot of breath.

Ocarinadiva
Member Avatar

The one I have doesn't require a great deal of breath and is definitely suitable for playing long, slow melodic pieces. I find that I can play emotive, dynamic pieces on it but not run out of breath on long notes. I really like that characteristic :)

spencersocarinas
Member Avatar
ocarina maker

Krešimir Cindrić
19 Oct 2011, 07:45 AM
Great news! Maestro Kuolong Pan finally offers his ocarinas to public. I had the privilege to try one at the festival in Budrio. They are truly beautiful instruments. His prices seem very fair, so if you're looking for a superb, high quality ocarina in typical oriental style, look no further.
Interesting to see you now promoting Asian 12-hole ocarinas, Kresimir, after having nothing good to say about the characteristic subholes or the acute bend in my thread.
Edited by spencersocarinas, 20 Oct 2011, 01:43 PM.

Krešimir Cindrić

spencersocarinas

Interesting to see you now promoting Asian 12-hole ocarinas, Kresimir, after having nothing good to say about the characteristic subholes or the acute bend in my thread.
And you too probably think that I'm a racist who hates Asian people. This only demonstrates your inability to read my posts.

There are several ocarina makers who make ocarinas only in Asian style and make really beautiful instruments. I do, however, stand by everything I've said in your thread and I still think the concept of having 12 holes is on an ocarina ridiculous. But I have never said it is impossible to make a great instrument in that style.

Kuolong Pan's ocarinas are a great example how ocarinas in Asian style (which is, generally, not my preference) can be fantastic instruments.
Edited by Krešimir Cindrić, 20 Oct 2011, 03:03 PM.

spencersocarinas
Member Avatar
ocarina maker

Krešimir Cindrić
20 Oct 2011, 03:02 PM
And you too probably think that I'm a racist who hates Asian people. This only demonstrates your inability to read my posts.

There are several ocarina makers who make ocarinas only in Asian style and make really beautiful instruments. I do, however, stand by everything I've said in your thread and I still think the concept of having 12 holes is on an ocarina ridiculous. But I have never said it is impossible to make a great instrument in that style.

Kuolong Pan's ocarinas are a great example how ocarinas in Asian style (which is, generally, not my preference) can be fantastic instruments.
I never accused you of racism. I don't think anyone has, in fact. My comment had nothing to do with racism, but rather my surprise to see you promoting ocarinas based on what you deem a "ridiculous concept".

Stephen Bobchin
Member Avatar
Close the World, Open the Next

On topic: I've recently emailed Kuo Long Pan in regards to ordering his triple. As soon as I get a reply, I'll let ya'll know if they are available.

Edit: He is NOT selling multi-chambers yet, but sometime next year :(
Edited by Stephen Bobchin, 24 Oct 2011, 04:05 PM.

Everett Ocarinas
Member Avatar
aka Kalasinar

Well i just received an email from Mr Kuolong Pan this morning confirming the completion of the ocarina i ordered from him - i am really pleased with the level of communication and efficiency during the whole transaction, his website says that ocarinas can take up to six months to complete, but mine only took two weeks! Obviously the time will differ in other situations, say if it were a more complicated ocarina or a larger order, or if he is at the time swamped with orders - but still, this is impressive production time nonetheless and i hope to receive it sometime next week! I'll post my thoughts on it here when i get it or post a review if i have the time :)

Everett Ocarinas
Member Avatar
aka Kalasinar

Well the ocarina arrived today and i have to say that even though i was initially enamoured with Kuolong Pan's ocarinas beforehand anyway, actually getting mine today and having more time to play it, the ocarina really blew my mind because it is really so much better than i originally thought! The tone is so very very sweet and bright, so much like my Woodsound, but clearer in sound. Nowadays i find i don't like pure clean notes anymore, however i can't help but not like the sweetness of the Takashi and it is so expressive with its rising breath slope.

In regards to its appearance, it is gorgeous, and also has that handmade artistic touch which i find really charming (and is so lacking in other brands such as Focalink, Noble, TNG etc etc). It is really compact and small, such a cute little thing in all, and i've had no problems with ergonomics except that the right subhole can be a little difficult to cover sometimes. Something to get used to though, and i'm sure i will eventually because i've fallen for this ocarina. I am definitely going to be getting more of Kuolong Pan's ocarinas in future.

Takashi Red Clay Soprano C

Edit: Also forgot to mention, Kuolong Pan was such a pleasure to deal with and so very kind. It only took him two weeks to make this ocarina, and i was seriously impressed with such efficiency.
Edited by Everett Ocarinas, 10 Nov 2011, 09:25 PM.

Ocarinadiva
Member Avatar

Wow, it's gorgeous!! Congrats, and thanks for posting pics of the new soprano! The red clay is really quite stunning! :)

RJ924
Member Avatar
My ocarina has no hair...either

I placed an order for a 4C today. I gave my B&W Porcelain away to a dear friend who was really taken by our ocarinas. My son really likes my Hamlett AC, and plays it beautifully, so I gave it to him last week. My daughter absolutely loves my Hans Rotter ZFans AC, and is always taking it from me (she may wind up taking it to college...note: I really hope I can get another one of these), so I am in need of another AC. I hope it doesn't take too many months for it to arrive, but I am looking forward to getting it. I ordered the 4C in white. I love the colour of Kal's, but I really wanted an AC in white, and this is my chance.
Roger

Everett Ocarinas
Member Avatar
aka Kalasinar

Thanks Cris and Roger! All the colours Kuolong Pan makes are really stunning, especially the white and the red clay ones. On his blog i've even seen white ones with the black patches like on the red clay, which just reminded me of my Dalmatian (I would have asked for that colouring if i hadn't already ordered my red clay) ^^ I was tempted to get white, however the Pacchioni i have ordered is in white and for some strange reason i want to keep it as my main white ocarina (well...aside from the Muse i guess).

This is great news that you are getting a 4C Roger, i was tempted to get one as well but i couldn't afford both at the time, but next time i make an order (hopefully early next year) i will also get an AC and one other ocarina. I have not had the opportunity to try a Takashi AC, however if it is as good as the Soprano C then it will be an excellent ocarina to own i'm sure.
Edited by Everett Ocarinas, 11 Nov 2011, 11:25 AM.

Yoshi
Member Avatar
Triple Ocarinist
I just sent an email to order a yellow 4C! :D So excited

ubizmo

I will be in Taipei in January, and I hope to meet Pan Kuolong, and perhaps buy one of these.

RJ924
Member Avatar

My white 4C ocarina was just shipped. I am looking forward to getting this ocarina. He also included a tracking number so that I can keep track of it's journey. It took a while to make, but I bet it will be worth the wait. I'll take some pictures when it arrives.
RJ

Everett Ocarinas
Member Avatar
aka Kalasinar

Fantastic news Roger, i look forward to seeing pictures when you get it!

Last week i placed an order for a 4C, as well as a custom 7C (or a 5G if the 7C doesn't work out), so it will be lovely to hear your thoughts on the 4C in the meantime :)

Fenrisfang
Member Avatar

Yoshi

I just sent an email to order a yellow 4C! So excited

RJ924

My white 4C ocarina was just shipped. I am looking forward to getting this ocarina. He also included a tracking number so that I can keep track of it's journey. It took a while to make, but I bet it will be worth the wait. I'll take some pictures when it arrives.
RJ

Kalasinar

Last week i placed an order for a 4C, as well as a custom 7C (or a 5G if the 7C doesn't work out), so it will be lovely to hear your thoughts on the 4C in the meantime

So many (future) Takashi ocarina owners! :)
Please share your impressions once your ocarinas arrived. I'd love to know more about them! I hope all of you will enjoy them and thank you very much in advance.

RJ924
Member Avatar

I was practicing some Christmas music with my children when the dogs started barking outside. At this time of day, that usually means that the mailman was here, and the only reason he comes to the door is because he has a package. I couldn't believe it when I looked at the box, and it was from Kuolong PAN.

The ocarina is a beautiful white colour. It has a unique shape to it, and has a very long windway (neck). It fits my hand perfectly, and is about as heavy as most other AC ocarinas. I have posted a couple of pictures (front, back and with two other ocarinas for size comparison).

I was surprised at the clarity of all of the notes. This is a very expressive ocarina and has a nice (natural) rise in breath pressure as you go up the scale. It is a very comfortable ocarina to hold and play. There is no place to attach a neck strap, but that is fine with me since I don't usually use them anyway.

This isn't a review, and I have only played it for about 30 minutes so far, but it is obvious that this is a high quality ocarina. I immediately played some Christmas songs with it (with accompaniment from my children on their ocarinas), and it is perfectly in tune with our other ocarinas. I am very happy with this ocarina, and will be purchasing more from Kuolong PAN in the very near future.

Roger
Attached to this post:
Attachments: Front.jpg (651.02 KB)
Attachments: Back.jpg (656.1 KB)
Attachments: Three.jpg (643.07 KB)
Edited by RJ924, 16 Dec 2011, 07:43 PM.

Everett Ocarinas
Member Avatar
aka Kalasinar

It is beautiful Roger, the white glaze looks stunning! I can't wait until i get my new Takashi ocarinas, thankyou so much for sharing your thoughts on the 4C :)

Kani
Member Avatar
Posted this in another thread, but might as well put it here too

Got my takashi red SC now! About a month after my first mail to him. Well worth the wait for a hand-made, awesome ocarina!
The sound is great! It's easy to play, no need at all for acute bend and it's not very strict with breath control on low notes.

I only got 2 things I don't like with it:
It requires quite strong breath compared to my Purple Clay SC
Since the surface is quite rough the fingers get stuck sometimes when trying to block the subholes. But I think it's something I'll get used to later.

All the good things with it makes up for these small disturbances though!

Kabir
Member Avatar
I'm stuck to an ocarina!
Those white ones look great!

RJ924
Member Avatar

Kani
17 Dec 2011, 05:09 PM
Posted this in another thread, but might as well put it here too

Got my takashi red SC now! About a month after my first mail to him. Well worth the wait for a hand-made, awesome ocarina!
The sound is great! It's easy to play, no need at all for acute bend and it's not very strict with breath control on low notes.

I only got 2 things I don't like with it:
It requires quite strong breath compared to my Purple Clay SC
Since the surface is quite rough the fingers get stuck sometimes when trying to block the subholes. But I think it's something I'll get used to later.

All the good things with it makes up for these small disturbances though!
It's good to hear that other people like their Takashi ocarinas also. I found that the acute bend does help the notes to sound their best. When I first played it, I didn't consciously use the acute bend, and it sounded fine. After playing it for a couple of hours, I find I do use the acute bend (maybe it is more habit than anything).

I do not find that it requires a strong breath at all to play my 4C. In fact, I thought it was very natural feeling. I also do not have any problem with the fingers blocking the subholes that you mentioned. I did have that on a different ocarina, though, and I think you are right about becoming comfortable with your ocarina. The more you play it, the more naturally your fingers will go to the right place.

I am really enjoying this ocarina. As a matter of fact, we are going to practice some Christmas music in just a couple of minutes, and it will be the AC that I use. ;)

RJ

Everett Ocarinas
Member Avatar
aka Kalasinar

I just got my new Takashi ocarinas in the post today - Red 4C and 5G (my 7C is still being made). They are just...so awesome. It is so difficult to describe in words, but i love them already. Both have really bold and strong tones and they are so comfortable to play. They are both bigger than i expected them to be, and the 5G even has slightly elongated fingerholes on the left hand. The 4C in particular is my favourite, i think maybe now my quest for the most perfect Alto C is finally over C:

Posted Image

Lord Seg
Member Avatar
Resident Lurker, Future Overlord
That is great! :thumbsup: Now it will be even harder for me to save up the money for one, I am about halfway there. :shakefist:
What are your thoughts on the bag that came with it?

Everett Ocarinas
Member Avatar
aka Kalasinar

The holsters are really nice. When i got my Takashi 1C a while ago it came in a plain black holster that was much more padded than these, but i guess as size of ocarina increases, the less available the real padded holsters to go with them. These ones are slightly padded, and i love the design on them, but i don't think they'd do much to protect the ocarinas from a fall. I've never seen any holster that could though, when it comes to proper padding you have to look at proper cases like the Maparam or Noble ones.

OberonOcarinas
Member Avatar
~•Ocarina maker•~

Mr. Kuolong makes some absolutely stunning ocarinas. I really REALLY want to buy one but Ive exceeded my new ocarina purchases for the next two months already -_-

how long did it take to get your order from when you placed it? His website said 1-6 months...which I wouldnt mind waiting for such a splendid piece but Im hopeful that it takes less time :)

oh and whats the breath like if you dont mind my asking? As a professional musician Im sure he has them at absolute concert quality meant for performing but Im absolutely dumbfounded by the clarity and beauty of their sound XD

Ocarinadiva
Member Avatar

Wow, those are lovely! And I like the elongated finger holes too. It does look very comfortable to play.

RJ924
Member Avatar

Congratulations Kal. I have been in contact with Kuolong Pan about getting a complete set of these. My 4C is an excellent ocarina, and I consider it to be my best AC now. I agree about it being so comfortable to play. Thanks for posting these pictures.

Roger

Yoshi
Member Avatar
Triple Ocarinist
That's exactly how I felt when I got my 4C :) I can't decide which to get next!

Everett Ocarinas
Member Avatar
aka Kalasinar

Oh and i forgot to post earlier, Kuolong very kindly made videos of my ocarinas which he posted on his Youtube page:

Red 4C: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RVEoA0rDu2o

Red 5G: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JArNMhhJ_N8

@Ross: Hmm, now when did i place this order...oh i think around the beginning of December last year. I think time scale varies depending on how many ocarinas you order and also of course how many orders he is currently working on. Back when i ordered my Red 1C at the end of October last year, it only took him two weeks to make it and ship it out to me. My recent order consisted of three ocarinas (the custom 7C i ordered is almost finished i think) hence why it has taken longer i guess.
He has kept in excellent contact though and we've been chatting about ocarina making which is really nice. If i end up being even half the master craftsman he is, i'll be a really happy lady.

Ah and breath requirement is about moderate to high i guess, but closer to moderate. I mean i'm used to my Woodsound AC which is high breath, and the Takashi is a lot easier to play. I love my Woodsound AC but i struggle maintaining high breath for long periods of playing, when i got an Ogawa i thought i'd found an easier alternative but the breath requirement for that is too low for my tastes. The Takashi seems to fill in the gap between those two extremes, and overall to me it is most definitely the better of the three.

@Cris: Yeah they are surprisingly comfy, and i'm not used to elongated holes. I can cover them easily too with my puny fingers XD

@Roger: Thanks! Yeah i'm aiming for a complete set too but i can't afford them all in one go so i'm aiming to buy at least two each time i order. Orginally i only ordered the 4C and the 7C, but then i somehow decided i wanted the 5G too so it got added XD And yes, the 4C really is a wonderful ocarina, i remember wanting one so much ever since i first saw a picture of Cris's. I'm glad i don't have to go without anymore ^^

@Yoshi: Ooh the choices! Hmm, well i can definitely vouch for the excellent quality of both the 1C and the 5G, but my advice would be to get a tuning that perhaps you don't have yet. Or if you have all the tunings but aren't happy with one in your collection, try a Takashi in that tuning, you never know you might find it is better ;)

Penycat
Member Avatar
Ocarina lover at first site!
Does the 4C require the acute bend?

Everett Ocarinas
Member Avatar
aka Kalasinar

Yes it does need the acute bend for the very last note, just like pretty much every other twelve hole Alto C c:

Stephen Bobchin
Member Avatar
Close the World, Open the Next

Not every 12 hole needs acute bend (Gigorio Cataladi's for instance do not)

Everett Ocarinas
Member Avatar
aka Kalasinar

I said "pretty much" not all. My TNG DIY does not need acute bend either, and my Woodsound barely needs it at all.

SuperBobKing
Member Avatar
Quadruple Ocarinist
That's good to know. I might get one of the diys because it sounds great for the price.
Edited by SuperBobKing, 20 Mar 2012, 03:02 AM.

Everett Ocarinas
Member Avatar
aka Kalasinar

Takashi 7C arrived this morning. It is fantastic :D

Posted Image

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · Asia and Pacific Ocarinas · Next Topic »
Add Reply
  • Pages:

Find us on TwitterFacebook | Read the FAQ