Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

- News Ticker

Donations - Please consider donating to The Ocarina Network to keep us afloat. More detail can be found in this topic. •
The Ocarina Network - Serving the ocarina community since April 27th 2008
Welcome to The Ocarina Network, a place for ocarina enthusiasts from all around the globe!

You're currently viewing The Ocarina Network as a guest.

If you join The Ocarina Network, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customising your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. On top of that we have a great number of music scores and backtracks for you to download.

Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Register at The Ocarina Network!

If you're already a member please log into your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
The quality of Gretsch ocarinas.; Forgive me if this has been answered.
Topic Started: 11 Oct 2011, 05:25 PM (2,718 Views)
Jubal
Member Avatar
Tree Hugger - Food is your right

Gretsch ocarinas have sparked my interest, due to their historical significance. Are they all as terrible as we've heard? I've searched around but can't really find a clear answer. While most people with Gretsch ocarinas tend to speak poorly of them, are there ANY great/decent/passing-for-a-musical-instrument Gretsch ocarinas out there? Has anyone had any good experiences with them?

I'll likely purchase it anyway, so I'm hoping there is some shred of hope that it will be somewhat playable. :whistle:
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

hirohiigo
Member Avatar
Double Ocarinist x 2
The ones I have (alto C and soprano C from the WWII boys-in-service pack) are pretty awful. That's all the experience I have with Gretsch, but I enjoy having them for their historical significance.

Jubal
Member Avatar

hirohiigo
13 Oct 2011, 05:05 AM
The ones I have (alto C and soprano C from the WWII boys-in-service pack) are pretty awful. That's all the experience I have with Gretsch, but I enjoy having them for their historical significance.
Interesting, what does this boys-in-service pack look like? I'm interested in the ones issued in the war more than anything, so I'd rather buy one of those than just a 40's Gretsch.

hirohiigo
Member Avatar
Double Ocarinist x 2
Here are some photos:

Spoiler: click to toggle

I've attached some sound samples, too.
Attached to this post:
Attachments: gretschalto.wav (2.37 MB)
Attachments: gretschsoprano.wav (2.2 MB)

Jubal
Member Avatar

Wow, thanks! Thats really cool. They're very airy, but they still sound better than I imagined. And that alto is actually really cool looking. Thanks for sharing!

Jack Campin
Member Avatar
Opener of Catfood Tins

I would love to see somebody do an authentic period video of the music from the Gretsch books, with the players in uniforms from the time. Maybe a military history museum might help and sponsor it? They might even let us use a B-29, a vintage truck or a PT boat as a performance space.

hirohiigo
Member Avatar
Double Ocarinist x 2
Well I did a quick Youtube video with the Gretsch arrangement of the Marine Corps Hymn some time ago:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xaV1Ph2dX8E

Jack Campin
Member Avatar
Opener of Catfood Tins

Getting there! I still want the original plastic and the saggy pants, though.

Kitten Forest
Member Avatar
Double Ocarinist x 2
From the sound samples, the soprano doesn't sound too bad. Has anyone tried the G ocairna? I came to this thread because I recently found one on ebay and I thought it would be cool to try as I've never seen a plastic ocarina that wasn't in C, as well as having the historical aspect. That being said, I would like to know if anyone can comment on the quality any further than the above posts as I do like to play plastic ones on the go.

OberonOcarinas
Member Avatar
~•Ocarina maker•~

I have an Alto C that someone actually took the time to tune and it's actually pretty good for a plastic (Bakelite) ocarina. It plays more like an Alto D and requires a strong amount of pressure to play, but it's the best vintage plastic ocarina I've come across

Kitten Forest
Member Avatar
Double Ocarinist x 2
I recently fixed up a SG one I got on ebay, and after a thurough wash and a bit of tape, I'm pleasantly surprised with the sound. I can't get the highest 2 notes to play at all, but considering the age and the crack down the side seam, I'm actually pretty happy with it.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
« Previous Topic · America Continent Ocarinas · Next Topic »
Add Reply

Find us on TwitterFacebook | Read the FAQ