Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

- News Ticker

Donations - Please consider donating to The Ocarina Network to keep us afloat. More detail can be found in this topic. •
The Ocarina Network - Serving the ocarina community since April 27th 2008
Welcome to The Ocarina Network, a place for ocarina enthusiasts from all around the globe!

You're currently viewing The Ocarina Network as a guest.

If you join The Ocarina Network, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customising your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. On top of that we have a great number of music scores and backtracks for you to download.

Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Register at The Ocarina Network!

If you're already a member please log into your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Focalink Double Soprano G; Detailed Review
Topic Started: 28 Sep 2011, 10:10 PM (3,026 Views)
mmxz40
Member Avatar
Amateur Hobbyist
Focalink Double Soprano G (DSG)
Type: Transverse, Multi-Chambered
# of Holes: Total of 17 holes, 1 is a tune hole and not used 2 are subholes on the first chamber, the last 2 are split holes on the second chamber... I think?
Price: $84.00, not including shipping and handling. With it, it totals to about $104.00

Looks:
Triangular, transverse-shaped Ocarina, as though someone had extended the mouthpiece of a regular sweet potato ocarina and added another row of holes on it. Here's a picture. Theres a loop near the mouthpiece/windway where you can stick a neck strap.
picture of the current DSG

I don't have the old version of this particular ocarina, but apparently, according to someone on the forum (Forgot who, so I'm terribly sorry), the old version wasn't as bulky.

Size:

The DSG is actually pretty small, almost fitting the average human hand. It is about 6 inches long and nearly 4 inches wide. In metric, about 14 cm long and 9 cm wide. if I'm wrong with the measurements, its ok, I'm bad with math. just... understand that its a small Double Ocarina.

Ergonomics:
An ocarina of this size might give a person with large hands some trouble, but it should be easy to hold and carry around. its light weight makes it barely even a burden to carry around, is very comfortable to play.

Pitch/Tuning:
The DSG plays up to 17 notes through two octaves ranging from E5 to G7. As seen in its name, its a soprano G ocarina.

Sound Quality:
This is what really gets me. The ocarina SINGS. The notes are so clean and crisp that you can't help but play more songs on it just to hear it again. Sound on the low notes are just so full and enriching and as you climb higher up the scale they become bright and happy. even on the second chamber, the highest note sounds like a young bird's warble.

Summary:
Personally, I fine this to be a new favourite. It is an even breathed ocarina so all the notes can be played in an even volume, which can be good or bad depending on your preferences. If you have hearing problems, I wouldn't recommend playing the extremely high notes too often, which is fine, as you probably might not use them in every song you play. The ocarina came to me in a black padded carrying case with a snazzy cloth inside. No fingering chart, as recently Mr. Shih has included the fingering chart as an online document sent to you when he notifies you that he has received and shipped your order. The carrying case has also changed from a holster-like bag, to a rectangular bag with a velcro flap. I only just started using the double ocarina, so getting used to the two chamber will take a while... but it shouldn't be too hard to learn. Its a good place to start from after graduating from a single chambered oc to a multi-chambered one. I would gladly recommend this as a double to anyone wanting to add to their collection or wanting a new challenge for themselves.

Sound Demo:
None, because my Microphone is bad as it is and I don't want to ruin your ears with its high pitched sounds.
Edited by mmxz40, 29 Sep 2011, 05:41 AM.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

reikokuna
Member Avatar
Black sheep among your daily lurkers
Hi there! I think I have an older version of the DSG. I am very curious as to how different it really looks. Would it be possible to take a picture of the ocarina on its own, say, beside an object of comparison for size? And it would be lovely if you include the new case too. I have heard of Focalink coming up with new cases, but I have never seen them.

Thanks so much for the review. I really do enjoy my DSG :)

mmxz40
Member Avatar
Amateur Hobbyist
Of course here's some of the pictures.

image 1

The above image compares its size to my Dragon Tooth, which is already a rather large Ocarina...

Spoiler: click to toggle

This image shows the current rectangular case and the ocarina beneath it.

Everett Ocarinas
Member Avatar
aka Kalasinar

I was under the impression that Focalink always provided Dolce mulitchambers in these rectangular bags - i've never seen one come in a holster or anything else, aside from the Forte models that come in the zip up extra-padded cases. I got my DSG in 2009 and it came with the same rectangular case - i find them very useful for transporting ocarinas in, as i took all my Focalink cases with me to Budrio this year to transport new ocarina purchases.

Thanks for the review, i agree it is an ocarina that truly sings :)

reikokuna
Member Avatar
Black sheep among your daily lurkers
When you talked about a different carrying case, I thought you meant they really came out with a different one. I think I read a post somewhere that Focalink was trying to come up with better cases for their ocs, and that it'll be something to watch out for. Like what Kalasinar has mentioned in her post about, I too have never seen Focalink multichambers come in any other case. I believe this is the standard case that comes with all of them (at the moment anyway...except maybe for something like a Bass Quad). My Focalink multichambers all come in the same type of pouch. The one for the DSG is smaller though.

I also use the Focalink case for transporting some ocs. Lately I've been putting two transverse ocs in one pouch. Not the best protection ever, but works.

I have no issues with chamber divide on mine. Do love the voice of this one :)

Elven Spellmaker
Member Avatar
== Cirno -- Opinionated Baka ==

Kalasinar
29 Sep 2011, 11:46 AM
... always provided Dolce mulitchambers in...
Just to get this out there, in the e-mails sent between Zack and me when I got my Forte Triple he referred to them as Dloce Ocarinas not Dolce as everyone has been saying for a while.

If it was a mistake then he made that mistake thrice in one e-mail. XD

/offtopic

Jhaemes
Member Avatar
wow

Elven Spellmaker
29 Sep 2011, 07:44 PM
Kalasinar
29 Sep 2011, 11:46 AM
... always provided Dolce mulitchambers in...
Just to get this out there, in the e-mails sent between Zack and me when I got my Forte Triple he referred to them as Dloce Ocarinas not Dolce as everyone has been saying for a while.

If it was a mistake then he made that mistake thrice in one e-mail. XD

/offtopic
Actually, Dolce is the "correct" term.

We had a similar discussion in TC a while back, so I emailed Mr Shih to get clarification.

Spoiler: click to toggle

Edited by Jhaemes, 29 Sep 2011, 07:53 PM.

OcLover
Member Avatar
Triple Ocarinist
In regards to the case, I guess it depends on who you buy from. The multichambered Focalinks I got from Songbird and directly from Focalink had the rectangular black bag. The DSG I got from Ted's DoReMe ebay store came in a small Focalink box with a triangular pouch, like one you would get with a single chamber oc. Not sure if Ted did some pouch switching or if he sent out what originally came with the DSG. We'll never know for sure since we don't know where Ted sources his ocarinas from. Anyway, the DSG fits in the triangular case just fine.

mmxz40
Member Avatar
Amateur Hobbyist
I was under the assumption that Focalink had sent out their multichambered ocarinas in the triangular pouches. then again, I'm not sure of anything anymore @.@'

Elven Spellmaker
Member Avatar
== Cirno -- Opinionated Baka ==

How weird. O.o

Posted Image
Attached to this post:
Attachments: DloceEMail.png (177.2 KB)

OcLover
Member Avatar
Triple Ocarinist
Is there even a musical term "Dloce"? I think Zack just made a simple spelling error.

Everett Ocarinas
Member Avatar
aka Kalasinar

I always thought Dolce and Forte were Italian words that Zack chose to differentiate between his two multichamber models - 'sweet' and 'strong' respectively...

DeTerminator
Transverse Ocarinist x 4
My Focalink SG arrived today, and I must say I am very, very impressed with it! The tone is great, and the small size makes it easy to carry around with you, not to mention just pick up and play! I really like this small double, and it's hard to believe all that sound comes out of such a small instrument.

I recommend it to anyone as an addition to or substitution for the ubiquitous Alto C, for someone who might prefer a smaller sized instrument with a great sound. I have the Dragontooth, Purple Clay DAC, Blue and White Porcelain AC, and Hind Tenor for transverse ocs... and this one ranks right up there for tone quality and is just plain fun to play!

Now, I just have to figure out those little holes on the right chamber upper register side.. not too sure about how to access this pdf from Mr. Shih...regularDoubleACfingeringchart.pdf (494955 bytes) DL Time (46666 bps): < 3 minutes... So, can anybody help me figure it out? I tried with my electronic tuner, but haven't straightened it out. I'ts different from my other ocs. Thanks!

~Kerry

mmxz40
Member Avatar
Amateur Hobbyist
From right to left, the first hole on the right chamber is the tuning hole. You don't cover it. the rest are notes you play right after the highest note on the left chamber. Heres the pdf
Attached to this post:
Attachments: regular_DoubleAC_fingering_chart.pdf (483.35 KB)

DeTerminator
Transverse Ocarinist x 4
Thanks a lot for that info...that solves the mystery of that far hole on the upper chamber! I was having problems with that one, because it didn't seem to do anything. Now I have it down! That is one sweet little double ocarina, I like the small size, sweet tone, and the higher pitch, that to me, isn't annoying. Also, it is in the same pitch range that I whistle in (with my lips), so I can whistle something, and play it back on the ocarina. Very cool! Thanks for the above review for informing me about this one...

agocs
Member Avatar
Inline Ocarinist x 2
Hey Guys!

Does anyone have a fingering chart for the DSG with the proper notes?
I've ordered a Focalink DSG yesterday, and it seems that Mr Shih still has only the DAC fingering chart.

Tentenguy
Member Avatar
That guy

I believe they have the same fingerings.

agocs
Member Avatar
Inline Ocarinist x 2
Tentenguy
1 Feb 2012, 03:45 PM
I believe they have the same fingerings.
Of course they have. But the associated notes are different.

CAPNRAVAGER
Member Avatar
Transverse Ocarinist
I am getting to the point where my single just isn't challenging enough and I am seriously considering buying the Dolce Soprano G. Would any of the people here on TON recommend it for my first double oc? and do you have any suggestions on ways to learn double better for when I do purchase one?

Stephen Bobchin
Member Avatar
Close the World, Open the Next

I personally love my DSG, prolly the easiest chamber switching I've ever done (my lips just glide across it )

DeTerminator
Transverse Ocarinist x 4
I like mine very much! Just make sure that your fingers aren't too thick around, because the second chamber holes are close together. Medium size (whatever that is) fingers or close should work. It is a very cool ocarina, no doubt. I like the fact that it's small, yet still a double. The second chamber notes are high pitched, and sound like warbling baby birds, like mmxz40 mentions in his review. Nice, very nice ocarina. Definitely worth getting.
Edited by DeTerminator, 3 Apr 2012, 12:23 AM.

mmxz40
Member Avatar
Amateur Hobbyist
The Dolce DSG is my first Double, and I would gladly recommend it to any other ocarinist willing to make a jump to a double, but wanting something other than an ocarina in c

Snegurochka
Member Avatar
Beginner
Can anyone tell me how much this ocarina weighs? Also, do they ever make them with a different finish (I.e. not straw fired)?

I’d love to try a double chamber in the future, but I have really thin fingers, and have trouble completely covering the holes on many larger ocarinas, so I usually stick with sopranos. I haven’t run across many double chamber sopranos, though...
Edited by Snegurochka, 7 Jan 2018, 11:18 PM.

kilese
Beginner
Having just began playing this instrument today it is definitely light at 200g and the holes are fairly small too. Slightly more information below:

http://www.steinocarina.com/productsDetail.php?id=115

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
« Previous Topic · Ocarina Reviews · Next Topic »
Add Reply

Find us on TwitterFacebook | Read the FAQ