Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

- News Ticker

Donations - Please consider donating to The Ocarina Network to keep us afloat. More detail can be found in this topic.
The Ocarina Network - Serving the ocarina community since April 27th 2008
Welcome to The Ocarina Network, a place for ocarina enthusiasts from all around the globe!

You're currently viewing The Ocarina Network as a guest.

If you join The Ocarina Network, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customising your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. On top of that we have a great number of music scores and backtracks for you to download.

Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Register at The Ocarina Network!

If you're already a member please log into your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Giorgio Cataldi/Tytoalba ocarinas; news molds AC
Topic Started: 2 Sep 2011, 11:22 AM (25,860 Views)
pandorado100
Member Avatar
Premium Poster
That's a beautiful ocarina Tytoalba. I like the long tail. It helps in stabilizing the ocarina on high notes since it gives the right pinky something to grab onto. :)
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

pandorado100
Member Avatar
Premium Poster
I really like the looks of your 272 g ocarina. The angled windway and the swooping curve of the tail make it seem like it would be very comfortable to hold and play.

pandorado100
Member Avatar
Premium Poster
Giorgio, OOT means Ocarina of Time from the Legend of Zelda. Perhaps he was asking if you were planning on painting your ocarina to look like it. He also wanted to know how much it would cost. :)

Giorgio OOT significa Ocarina of Time dal Legend of Zelda. Forse stava chiedendo se si stesse pensando di dipingere la vostra ocarina a guardare come . Voleva anche sapere quanto costerebbe.
Edited by pandorado100, 21 May 2014, 12:11 PM.

pandorado100
Member Avatar
Premium Poster
Glad to help, Giorgio. I am still waiting for your ocarina to arrive. But we have an old saying that goes, "Good things come to those who wait." :)

Buone cose verranno a chi sa aspettare

pandorado100
Member Avatar
Premium Poster
I like the new colors Giorgio. How durable are the finishes? Would they be tough enough to withstand occasional knocking about without chipping or peeling?

I always love looking at red ocarinas. :)

pandorado100
Member Avatar
Premium Poster
That's a very nice group of AC ocarinas, Giorgio. I see you have a 13 hole. Can you play a low G3 using the third subhole? How strong is the sound? I always thought that it was very hard to add a third subhole to an alto ocarina because the large chamber volume makes the sound unsteady and weak.

pandorado100
Member Avatar
Premium Poster
I wouldn't be so concerned about having a responsive ocarina for playing fast passages mostly because I can't play really fast tempo songs. I like some back pressure in an ocarina because it helps me to control my air output better. If the windway is too wide open, I run out of breath during sustained notes.

I would definitely be curious to see if you have solved the squeaking problem with all the holes open. I have a couple of 13 hole soprano C ocarinas that I have to be very careful with my breath in order to avoid squeaking.

pandorado100
Member Avatar
Premium Poster
@ Bayou Mama

You are lucky that Mark is such an honorable guy. He did say on FB that he liked the Tytoalba ocarina so much that he wanted to keep it for himself. :)

pandorado100
Member Avatar
Premium Poster
Bayou Mama
21 May 2015, 07:06 PM
@Pandorado: I figured I would pry it from Mark's fingers at the U.S. Ocarina Festival in the fall if necessary! ;) Seriously, I promised Mark that I would buy him a dinner or drinks when we meet in Allen, Texas. I really do appreciate that he took time to play Giorgio's ocarinas and select one for me in Budrio. The nicest people play ocarinas!
Let's see, I know Mark loves fried chicken, piyan and sushi. He probably wouldn't say no to some Texas barbecue and he's a fiend for biscuits, mac 'n' cheese and Swedish meatballs.

I base that on all the pictures I have drooled over on Mark's FB page. He's quite the foodie. :rofl:

pandorado100
Member Avatar
Premium Poster
I like the barn owl but I have to admit to being really envious of the large owl ocarina that one of the Sweet Potato Gassodan members was playing in Budrio. It was so cute!

Bayou Mama, I spelled it wrong. Pidan is also known as century egg. It's a special fermented egg that looks totally disgusting since the yolk is a black color from being treated with quicklime and buried in ash. Mark says it's absolutely delicous though. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Century_egg

pandorado100
Member Avatar
Premium Poster
I like the looks of your SP V alto G, Giorgio. The shape and finger hole arrangement looks like it would suit my hands. I have trouble with ocarinas that have too large a distance between the right ring finger and right pinky holes because I have very short pinky fingers and can't reach that easily.

pandorado100
Member Avatar
Premium Poster
tytoalba
1 Jun 2015, 04:36 PM
Hello Jeanne!
If desired, you can use any model to make a tailor-made for you.
Giorgio, I have been thinking of getting an Alto E some day. I would prefer Asian style fingering since I would have problems covering the left pinky hole on an Italian style ocarina. They tend to be very large.

Is it possible to make such an ocarina so that my right pinky finger can cover the last hole without stretching too far? I also prefer Taiwanese style subholes but I can play Japanese subs if necessary. Or maybe I should consider getting a 10 hole for better sound stability?

I like a medium to high breath pressure with some resistance when I blow so I don't run out of air too quickly when I play long notes. I prefer a clear sound with not too much texture.

What do you think? Can this be done effectively? :grin:

pandorado100
Member Avatar
Premium Poster
tytoalba
1 Jun 2015, 10:41 PM
Let me get better. We are talking about an Alto / Soprano E, or an Alto / Tenor E?
In the first case, I can use a mold of a Soprano F, excluding the sub holes. In the second case I can use a mold of the Tenor F, again excluding the sub holes.
In this way we avoid the burden of making the mold from scratch.
At the same time, with a 10-hole ocarina with fingering Asian, resolve many problems with the left little finger.

As for the problems of the right little finger, you'd better take a picture of the right hand, so that it is visible in scale 1: 1

Regarding the pressure, I would adopt a by the wind with reduced height.

The sound will tend to be pure, with slight texture.

If you need a 12-hole, it will take much longer because of the new mold.
I would want an Alto range ocarina in E, Giorgio. I already have a soprano Eb from from Hamlett. :)

I am not sure how to go about sending you a 1:1 picture of my right hand. Would a selfie of my hand taken with a metric ruler beside it be good enough? Or do you want to see a close up of me holding one of my ocarinas that you are familar with such as the Night by Noble?

pandorado100
Member Avatar
Premium Poster
tytoalba
2 Jun 2015, 05:48 PM
Ok. As soon as I get rid of the backlog, I'll make an Alto / Tenor "E".
Meanwhile, send me the picture with ruler with PM or via FB
Okay, will do. I'll send it to your FB account. I can take a snapshot with my cellphone and upload it.

There's no big rush so you can take plenty of time to clear up your backlog. I want it to play a song in E major using C major fingering so it will match a backtrack. I tried playing the song in the original key and it has too many sharps for me to follow.

I now understand why Mark likes to have ocarinas in all the tunngs of the chromatic scale. :grin:

pandorado100
Member Avatar
Premium Poster
tytoalba
2 Jun 2015, 08:19 PM
If you agree, I would do 10 holes with a range from "E4" to "A5". This way we keep the holes small enough.
Yes, I think that will do very well Giorgio. Thank you. I am in the process of trying to locate a metric ruler. I know I have one somewhere but all I can find are my American system yardsticks. I could take a picture with them but then you would have to convert it to metric. :grin:

Fortunately, I am in no rush for the ocarina. I will send you the picture when I can. :blush:
Edited by pandorado100, 3 Jun 2015, 07:15 AM.

pandorado100
Member Avatar
Premium Poster
That model IV AC looks very sleek and elegant. I love how your designs are so polished looking.

I saw your special two octave ocarinas posted on Facebook by Paolo Gavelli. That's a very interesting one. It's totally different from the traditional ocarina shape but it looks very functional. I like the arrangement of the finger holes. How did you manage to achieve a two octave range in an alto ocarina when the common belief is that the chamber size is too large to achieve sound stability when adding extra holes? You have made an important breakthrough, Giorgio.

pandorado100
Member Avatar
Premium Poster
Thank you for the explanation Giorgio. I used Google Translate and also checked it with Bing translator so I think I understand what you said very well. :)

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
« Previous Topic · European Ocarinas · Next Topic »
Add Reply

Find us on Twitter Facebook | Read the FAQ