Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

- News Ticker

Donations - Please consider donating to The Ocarina Network to keep us afloat. More detail can be found in this topic.
The Ocarina Network - Serving the ocarina community since April 27th 2008
Welcome to The Ocarina Network, a place for ocarina enthusiasts from all around the globe!

You're currently viewing The Ocarina Network as a guest.

If you join The Ocarina Network, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customising your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. On top of that we have a great number of music scores and backtracks for you to download.

Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Register at The Ocarina Network!

If you're already a member please log into your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
  • Pages:
What instrument do you not like?
Topic Started: 10 Aug 2011, 12:15 AM (15,939 Views)
Jubal
Member Avatar
Tree Hugger - Food is your right

Bass clarinet is the best instrument on this planet. (Nevermind that I play it - I'm not biased!)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Puui1jZ8Qg

But I agree on one part. Band directors that don't know how to do their job adequately stick people on bass clarinet and allow them to sound bad on it because they don't think it matters much. So there are a lot of sounding ones.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Amerred
Member Avatar
Can't play pendants
Vagabond Satyr
9 Dec 2014, 07:28 PM
Regardless, I never really heard a good bass clarinet player. I should probably look it up on youtube one of these days. :P
I think that connects back to what I was saying - hardly anybody actually plays it, let alone starts on it, so they can get by even if they aren't that talented. They CAN be good, but a lot of people (that we see, at least, on the amateur and/or youth level) just... aren't. They don't have any motivation because nobody's really competing with them. The drive only really comes about at higher level things, which are more serious and do involve competing against a number of others.

The system that Jack brought up is interesting. That actually seems to be a problem in elementary/middle schools - when kids start and they first join band, the band tends to be unbalanced, with way too many kids on one instrument (saxophone, in my experience). It does even out (somehow) in the higher grades, but the younger school groups tend to have that problem.

Jubal - why do both players have wing-like appendages on their bass clarinets? I've never seen this before... though admittedly I don't spend a lot of time around bass clarinet players and I don't generally play them (but this is due more to lack of access).

Jubal
Member Avatar

They're a bass clarinet duo that just plays stuff like that and adds stuff like wings to make the performance more lighthearted. The bass clarinet is a very real and very professional instrument outside of school (and inside school if the person playing it is competent). Orchestras and jazz bands use them, including some rock groups like Gorillaz, Muse, Dave Matthews band, etc. If you're majoring in clarinet you're going to have to learn to play it proficiently at some point.

Amerred
Member Avatar
Can't play pendants
Jubal
9 Dec 2014, 09:09 PM
If you're majoring in clarinet you're going to have to learn to play it proficiently at some point.
Huh. That's good to know (well, to a degree - I still don't have easy access to one). I've actually been interested in that (i.e., a performance major for clarinet) for a while now, and I've looked into it a good deal, but I keep having doubts. I mean, it's a hard field to break into successfully, and so I keep questioning whether I'm good enough, you know? I don't think I'm bad, but at the same time I don't actually know if I'm good enough to get into a college or (subsequently) an orchestra (unfortunately they seem to require college/conservatory degrees for consideration most of the time - if they didn't I might just save myself the risk and work until I could get in on skill alone). I'll admit that I'm not entirely sure how to go about working towards my goal(s) short of practicing and working with whatever groups time and money allow... Tell me, Jubal - you seem pretty knowledgeable about this. I've looked up and read a good deal on this sort of thing to help me answer questions that I've had before. However, you seem to be in a similar position to me - much more than anything else that I've come across. What's your perspective on this*? What can you tell me about it? I already know some things, but with any luck I'll be able to pick up facts more specific to my situation in particular. You can PM me, if you like - don't wanna meander on about something more or less irrelevant to the thread itself.

* "this" refers to a performance (or otherwise music) major and everything connected to it, including before college, college itself, and life/afterwards.

Jubal
Member Avatar

I sent you a PM.

Anyway, back on the topic of the banjo. A newly revived instrument, the cello banjo sounds gorgeous in my opinion... And less twangy to please the naysayers:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ALU0CG13EI

Amerred
Member Avatar
Can't play pendants
That's quite the interesting instrument - a banjo made to play cello music... Though that's quite a niche, especially considering that most people would just play/listen to cello music on a cello... I wonder, does it have the same fingerings as a cello?

FrozenNorth
Member Avatar
Inline Ocarinist x 5
Jubal
10 Aug 2011, 12:15 AM
Is there an instrument you can't stand listening to, or one you just don't like in general?
Did anyone mention the theremin?

The instrument can be played to make lovely music, but unfortunately, there are probably only a dozen or so people in the world who can. Most players sound awful.

Jubal
Member Avatar

Amerred
11 Dec 2014, 03:30 AM
That's quite the interesting instrument - a banjo made to play cello music... Though that's quite a niche, especially considering that most people would just play/listen to cello music on a cello... I wonder, does it have the same fingerings as a cello?
It was actually made a long time ago for banjo ensembles. The strings are tuned the same as a cello so yes, it's exactly the same. It's also the same as a mandocello (mandolin cello), tenor guitar, tenor banjo, mandola, viola, etc. (just an octave lower than most of these.)
Edited by Jubal, 11 Dec 2014, 04:03 AM.

Bayou Mama
Member Avatar
Conflict resolution is only a half step away!
Jack Campin
10 Aug 2011, 02:28 AM

I still don't get the acoustic guitar. I don't think they've made a movie yet that was boring enough for it to work as a soundtrack. Maybe a documentary on the history of bookkeeping errors.
The movie "Harold and Maude" comes to mind as having a soundtrack based on acoustic guitar. Granted, there were sometimes multiple acoustic guitars, drums, etc., but I think Cat Stevens played acoustic only on the songs for the film's soundtrack. I am not really sure if someone played an electric bass, but the predominant sound was acoustic guitar. I still love the movie and the soundtrack...💖

As for an instrument I'm not crazy about, the piccolo is it for me. I played the flute all through school and never could stand the sound of a piccolo.

Ocarinas I own:
Spoiler: click to toggle

MasterOfKawaii
Member Avatar
Kinda okay...
Cavalier
10 Aug 2011, 12:50 AM
Ocarinas are pretty lame sounding :P
Hmm, that's a good question. I don't like that stringed instruments are so expensive, but I love the sound.
Same here. I hate ocarina with a burning passion. ; Do

But seriously though, I really don't like recorders. But that is mainly because of what I (and every other American fifth-grader) was put through with them...

Also the muse emotocon is pretty neat so I think I'll just plop it on in here at the end... :muse: ...There we go...

segevrl
Member Avatar
I play pendants too!
I have no problem with drums, but I don't like being around a metal drummer while he practices XD

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
« Previous Topic · Instruments And Music · Next Topic »
Add Reply
  • Pages:

Find us on Twitter Facebook | Read the FAQ