Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

- News Ticker

Donations - Please consider donating to The Ocarina Network to keep us afloat. More detail can be found in this topic. •
The Ocarina Network - Serving the ocarina community since April 27th 2008
Welcome to The Ocarina Network, a place for ocarina enthusiasts from all around the globe!

You're currently viewing The Ocarina Network as a guest.

If you join The Ocarina Network, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customising your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. On top of that we have a great number of music scores and backtracks for you to download.

Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Register at The Ocarina Network!

If you're already a member please log into your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
  • Pages:
What instrument do you not like?
Topic Started: 10 Aug 2011, 12:15 AM (15,692 Views)
Jubal
Member Avatar
Tree Hugger - Food is your right

Is there an instrument you can't stand listening to, or one you just don't like in general?

I don't like the trombone/baritone. Maybe it's because I'm still in a school band and I've associated the sound with arrogance and immaturity. I used to be okay with them but the trombonists in our band used to try to sound bad on purpose because they thought it was funny. And then they would go on about how woodwinds are completely useless in every situation, after we out played them. So now whenever I hear one of them playing out I just think "Wow, I really don't like that sound."
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Everett Ocarinas
Member Avatar
aka Kalasinar

Electric guitars. Hate the damn things.

passaggio
Member Avatar
♪♫ Je veux vivre dans ce ręve qui m'enivre. ♪♫
Intestinal endoscopes. You didn't say musical. XP
Actual answer to your question: Nothing I can think of. I like musical instruments!

[edit: Ohhh. Nevermind, I've found one: What Kres said below (i.e. vuvuzela). Especially at the World Cup.]
Edited by passaggio, 10 Aug 2011, 12:41 AM.

Achint
Member Avatar
Fat Mouse >^_^<

I love the sound of certain electric guitars, like my Fender Telecaster when playing with a clean sound (mostly for blues :D)

I can't stand distorted electric guitars with a thin distortion >.>
It sounds disgusting... almost bee like.

Krešimir Cindrić

Vuvuzela.

WindSong
Member Avatar

I know that I'm probably going to offend somebody, but the only one I can think of is bagpipes.

I guess they're not quite so bad if they are off in the distance.

Cavalier
Member Avatar
Always look on the bright side of life.
Ocarinas are pretty lame sounding :P
Hmm, that's a good question. I don't like that stringed instruments are so expensive, but I love the sound.

Music Forever
Member Avatar
Look on the bright side.
I'm sure there's another instrument out there I don't like, and I'm sure I'll offend someone for saying this, so sorry if I do, but I absolutely cannot stand the sound of a Clarinet. They do not go well with anything and are useless. I just really dislike them...
Edited by Music Forever, 10 Aug 2011, 01:36 AM.

Ocarina_Noob
Double Ocarinist x 5
The plastic soprano recorders from primary school. No matter how well you learn a song, it still sounds horrible.
WindSong
10 Aug 2011, 12:34 AM
I know that I'm probably going to offend somebody, but the only one I can think of is bagpipes.

I guess they're not quite so bad if they are off in the distance.

I hate them too
Edited by Ocarina_Noob, 10 Aug 2011, 01:42 AM.

Music Forever
Member Avatar
Look on the bright side.
Oh yes, plastic soprano recorders and bagpipes always sound bad as well. I agree with the above ^

Jubal
Member Avatar

While I strongly disagree that clarinets are useless, I can understand why you don't like the sound of them. Sometimes I don't either, and I play it. :rofl:

I'm more of a bass clarinet player anyway.

Also, this thread isn't meant to offend anyone. Everyone has the right to post their opinion, even if it disagrees with yours. :)

RJ924
Member Avatar
My ocarina has no hair...either

I really dislike electric guitars also. The most frustrating instrument I have tried to play is the xaphoon. I just can't get a consistently good sound out of it.
RJ

Jack Campin
Member Avatar
Opener of Catfood Tins

I play cheap plastic recorders a lot. I like being able to simply astonish people with what you can do with them. (I'm also learning the bagpipes).

I used to loathe the Hammond organ. Then I saw "Eraserhead". It was brilliant for that. If you want an instrument to evoke a world where fat ladies sing weird songs in radiators while being bombarded with giant sperm, people's brains get used as pencil erasers and mutant babies explode into roomfuls of foaming pus, it's just the ticket.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Gnz4sWnSDE

I still don't get the acoustic guitar. I don't think they've made a movie yet that was boring enough for it to work as a soundtrack. Maybe a documentary on the history of bookkeeping errors.

OkamiFlautist
Member Avatar
Flautist & Ocarinist

Clarinets. Especially people playing them with bad or chipped reeds. I can't stand the squeaking >.<

Jubal
Member Avatar

Roger, many many people have reported the same thing as you regarding the Xaphoon. It's just not a very great instrument. If you want a sound like that, I would recommend a Chalumeau. Or if you don't already play it, a clarinet.

Also, this may get me hung, but I'm not fond of bassoons. I'm not sure why. I don't hate them, but I also don't like them.

DarkAlchemist
Member Avatar
Vice Fuhrer Nicole The Dark Alchemist
The harmonica. Their sound is extremely unpleasant to my ears.

And I absolutely love the sound of electric guitars with loads of distortion on them. XD

Edit: I don't lke the sound of the melodica, either. =/
Edited by DarkAlchemist, 10 Aug 2011, 03:45 AM.

Zephyr
Member Avatar
Inline Ocarinist
Quote:

Is there an instrument you can't stand listening to, or one you just don't like in general?

I don't like the trombone/baritone. Maybe it's because I'm still in a school band and I've associated the sound with arrogance and immaturity.

That's unfortunate, especially since I specialize in both those instruments. Or used to anyway. I don't really have the time to devote to them anymore, hence the Ocarinas.

Personally, I don't have any real issues with any instruments. Whenever I hear them I basically think "I wish I could learn that." If I learned an instrument for every time I thought that, there probably wouldn't be any left to learn.

lallave2006
Member Avatar
Senpai
bag pipes hate the dame things

brunocbreis
Member Avatar
Inline Ocarinist x 5
I don't like the harmonica either, nor do I like distorted electric guitars. And the oboe and the clarinet are a bit annoying :/

Bateleur
Member Avatar
Meh.

I hate the sound of horrible 70's/80's synthesizers. Also, I can stand an Otamatone as long as it is played in tune. Otherwise? I would love to brutally destroy it with a grapefruit spoon.

This is the best obnoxious sounding instrument. The Rackett!

Edited by Bateleur, 10 Aug 2011, 04:42 AM.

Cavalier
Member Avatar
Always look on the bright side of life.
I just realized what it is... My sister was practicing the clarinet today. I asked if she could play it softer or less annoyingly, she couldn't. Not a fan of the sound. I'm sure a bunch of people will argue with me, but it's my least favorite of the concert band type instruments. I'm surprised no one else said Clarinet!

edit: I actually read through the whole thread; someone already said they didn't like it...
Edited by Cavalier, 10 Aug 2011, 05:22 AM.

Dullahan
Member Avatar
Don't you just love soundwalking?

Hmmm I'd say the only instrument I don't like is the recorder. Not because I don't like the sound, but because it was so tortuous in elementary school, that I grew a very deep disgust towards them. I like them when people play them, but I can hardly get one myself.

Muchietan
Member Avatar
Inline Ocarinist x 5
I don't like drums, I mean they sound great yeah, but in terms of playing? I can't stand them, this is possibly due to the fact that I don't have the co-ordination to play them.

I don't like bagpipes either though

Sigurthr
Member Avatar
Flutist and Ham Radio Operator. Talarđu Íslenska?

Saxaphones. I HATE THEM SO MUCH.

I used to judge all reeds by my hatred of sax, but then I got to hear Oboe and English horn in person, they are lovely! There are a lot of instruments I dislike, but no others that I truly hate.

Re: Kres, I don't count vuvuzela as an instrument. I categorize it under "idiot powered air horn".

Ocarinadiva
Member Avatar
Play what makes you happy. - Achint

I'm not a huge fan of banjo, but I think it has more to do with the kind of music you usually hear played on the banjo than the actual sound of the instrument.

TimGreen
Member Avatar
Play what makes you happy. - Achint
Hmmmm.... I cant really think of an instrument i don't like in general. All instruments i have heard that i didn't like only sounded bad in certain circumstances. Any annoying instrument can be used to sound good. I have really disliked almost every instrument being used at some circumstance, but i just loved the sound at another instance. It really depends on the player. The instrument is just an extension of the player's emotions and soul (if used correctly). SO... At least in my opinion, every instrument can sound great or horrible. It really just depends on the player.

Poltergeist
Member Avatar
Pink Elephant on Parade

Violin! A solo violin sounds horrible, and only in large groups, combined with groups of violas and violoncelli is it okay to listen to this abomination. But I love the viola da gamba, it is a very sophisticated instrument. And the erhu. Unlike the violin, it sounds pleasing. And alive. A violin is something Death may play if he doesn't play the xylophone.

Flamencos
Transverse Ocarinist
Poltergeist, have you ever heard mmm.. Rondo Capriccioso? Maybe this piece convince you to give violin a chance. :D

I love all instruments. I cannot stand the sound of Vuvuzela, but I cannot call It does not deserve to be called "an instrument" for me.
Actually I don`t like plastic ocarina sound, too.

Krešimir Cindrić

Sigurthr
10 Aug 2011, 06:41 AM
Re: Kres, I don't count vuvuzela as an instrument. I categorize it under "idiot powered air horn".
You get a cookie for saying that, Sig. :cookie: I just couldn't think of a better music instrument I really have negative feelings towards. :D

@Flamencos: concerning plastic ocarinas, I dislike them very much (look at my signature), especially the feeling of them - they seem so cheap and mass produced, it is like an insult to the real ocarina. But, I have to admit, with all my negative feelings towards plastic ocarinas, there are a few of them whose sound is practically indistinguishable from the sound of clay ocarinas of the same type and brand. Noble alto C is one of them, and so is Focalink soprano C - surprisingly good plastic ocarinas! I do, however, think these high quality plastic ocarinas have one good purpose: they can be used in elementary schools for teaching small children music.
Edited by Krešimir Cindrić, 10 Aug 2011, 11:32 AM.

Sarume
doremifaso

Sigurthr
10 Aug 2011, 06:41 AM
Same goes for me. Before Kresimir mentioned it, i didn't even think of it as an instrument.

An instrument of annoyance maybe.

------

I can't really say that i dislike any musical instrument, even though I doN't really like playing my harmonica, probably because of the depressive moods it give me :/

Flamencos
Transverse Ocarinist
Vuvuzela is an instrument invented to play on nerves.

Krešimir Cindrić: I`ve never heard them so i can`t state my own opinion. Maybe you are right and there are some good plastic ocarinas. But indeed, plastic ocarinas are better in one thing. Clay ocarinas are far easier breakable.
Edited by Flamencos, 10 Aug 2011, 02:04 PM.

Jubal
Member Avatar

Quote:

Saxaphones. I HATE THEM SO MUCH.

I love my saxophone. I will admit however that out of all my instruments it is the most boring to play...
Edited by Jubal, 10 Aug 2011, 09:41 PM.

Achint
Member Avatar
Fat Mouse >^_^<

*is surprised no one said ukulele*

Jonny Sutton
Member Avatar
The Lonely Ocarinist
GreaterAnticipation
10 Aug 2011, 09:37 PM
Elven hasn't got here yet. xD

DarkAlchemist
Member Avatar
Vice Fuhrer Nicole The Dark Alchemist
Aw don't jinx it Achint! :(

Bateleur
Member Avatar
Meh.

I'd just like to mention that out of courtesy I didn't mention the ukulele, but mostly because it doesn't actually have a bad sound. Just that it's so entertaining to poke fun at. :D

aniki91344
Member Avatar
up up down down left right left right B A start
These posts are making me laugh so hard I'm about to choke on my dinner! Seriously, that vuvuzela, what were they thinking?!

If the Vuvuzela doesn't count, then I'm at a loss. I can't think of any instrument I don't like...

If I had to choose, I guess I'll go with the glass harmonica. It's not that I hate it, I actually kind of like it, it's just that the sound makes me feel like that instrument is trying to steal my soul or something, lol. I guess it's similar to a child's fascination with licking a 9 volt battery.

Ameline
Member Avatar
Merf?
You can add me to the list of people who really do not enjoy the recorder. When I was in elementary school a lot of the other kids would make them sqqquuuueeek as loud as they could just for giggles, gives me a headache just thinking about it... Actually, I don't like any instruments sound much when someone is purposely trying to play badly just cause its funny (facepalm)

starhero
Member Avatar
Kenjo The Pomeranian!!!
Do you count the voice as an instrument?(I hate it the most regarding lousy, extremely lousy singers...)

Yet I think it is the best instrument too...

Krešimir Cindrić

Koketsu
10 Aug 2011, 10:02 PM
GreaterAnticipation
Elven hasn't got here yet. xD
Just wait for it :D

kissing
Member Avatar
tyrannical dictator

GreaterAnticipation
No, because no one hates ukulele :rofl:

Achint
Member Avatar
Fat Mouse >^_^<

kissing
11 Aug 2011, 04:32 PM
GreaterAnticipation
No, because no one hates ukulele :rofl:
hahahaha just you wait Sam, not everyone is ukulele friendly as some of us =P

Jhaemes
Member Avatar
wow

Hang Drums.

Around 6000 usd used, nonsense for what is essentially a steel pan.

aniki91344
Member Avatar
up up down down left right left right B A start
Wow, I just learned a new instrument... Hang drums. 5 videos into youtube, with people playing those, and I think they sound awesome!

Xun
Double Ocarinist
There are two instruments that give me a headache just to hear them, the suona (from China) and the bombard (from Europe). They are both double reed instruments and have a flared end bell, sort of like a trumpet. I wonder if their evolution is linked somewhere in the past because both these instruments are very similar in appearance and sound. I don't have problems with other reed instruments, it's just the sound of these instruments irritate me to no end.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
ZetaBoards - Free Forum Hosting
ZetaBoards gives you all the tools to create a successful discussion community.
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · Instruments And Music · Next Topic »
Add Reply
  • Pages:

Find us on TwitterFacebook | Read the FAQ