Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

- News Ticker

Donations - Please consider donating to The Ocarina Network to keep us afloat. More detail can be found in this topic.
The Ocarina Network - Serving the ocarina community since April 27th 2008
Welcome to The Ocarina Network, a place for ocarina enthusiasts from all around the globe!

You're currently viewing The Ocarina Network as a guest.

If you join The Ocarina Network, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. On top of that we have a great number of music scores and backtracks for you to download.

Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Register at The Ocarina Network!

If you're already a member please log into your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Night Ocarinas; I can't seem to find info about these ocarinas anywhere.
Topic Started: 7 Aug 2011, 01:02 PM (2,657 Views)
pajamieez
Member Avatar
:ocarina: Amateur
I'm currently in the market for a high quality Alto C single or double. However, despite the great reputation of Focalink and Songbird, I've been seeking out different brands, one of them is the Japanese Night Ocarina, which has been overviewed by Kissing here. I've been searching the net for information one of these really earthy sounding ocarinas but have little success. Does anyone on TON have an opinion about NIGHT ocarinas?

Also, I found this page here that seems to be the same brand but look totally different from the one Kissing reviewed. Are they the same maker or just an imitator?
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Jack Campin
Member Avatar
Opener of Catfood Tins

I have a soprano in F. "Earthy" isn't a word that comes to mind - it's got a rather pure sweet tone.

Ergonomically I find my Fiehn in F a lot easier to play (no subholes getting in the way) so I use it more when I want an ocarina in that pitch. The Night sounds better, though.

kissing
Member Avatar
tyrannical dictator

Interestingly enough, apparently Night ocarinas are the easiest to find within Korea and Japan.
They're the standard ocarinas found in local music stores and department stores (or so I've heard).

Most other makers sell online, as ocarinas aren't particularly widespread.

bluebell
Member Avatar
Compulsive collector
The current models are offered by one seller on eBay. The Website is correct.
I own one of their discontinued models, a Night AF. I love it. It does sound different to a focalink, and when it comes to my AF, i find the Night easier to play and sounds nicer than my Foca. However I wouldnt say that the Focalink would not be a bad choice either.

Quillion
Member Avatar
Programmer Ocarinist
I would love to buy one of their alto C, but I could not find it anywhere on ebay or any other place. Anyone have a direct link as to where I can find it?

Jhaemes
Member Avatar
wow

Quillion
7 Aug 2011, 03:02 PM
I would love to buy one of their alto C, but I could not find it anywhere on ebay or any other place. Anyone have a direct link as to where I can find it?
Here

If you look through the seller's store there's also a cheaper one.

pajamieez
Member Avatar
Wow... TON really comes through big time! Thanks everyone!

Everett Ocarinas
Member Avatar
aka Kalasinar

Rakuten often has Night ocarinas listed, I just bought a Night Mini Soprano C recently from a seller on there.

Traitor to Heaven
Member Avatar
Traitorous Soloist
These ocarinas look interesting, and I'm rather surprised I hadn't encountered them before. I'll save my money and get one of the AC. I hope they're worth it :D

Jubal
Member Avatar
Tree Hugger - Food is your right

Nice but... sort of expensive. However, people seem to be vouching for them. I'd like to try one out as well.

bluebell
Member Avatar
Compulsive collector
The Fioretto is their premium series. Their standard series isnt that much lower in quality, but the price is.

Also, dscontinued province series ocasionally appear second hand on Ebay. I have a permenant watch on Night ocarinas for those. And when i win a lottery I'll get a full set of the Fioretto to comapre them ;)

WindSong
Member Avatar

There's a 'standard' model on eBay: Here

Not as expensive as the Fiorettos. I keep looking at it. Would love to hear an overview of it.

That site in your link is the Gakki Night site. I was confused about that too, but it seems like they have changed their design.

*Interesting note: Looks like they are having some kind of a collaboration with Sojiro on Sept 25. They have his picture on their site. :)

pajamieez
Member Avatar
WindSong
8 Aug 2011, 03:15 AM

Not as expensive as the Fiorettos. I keep looking at it. Would love to hear an overview of it.

That site in your link is the Gakki Night site. I was confused about that too, but it seems like they have changed their design.

*Interesting note: Looks like they are having some kind of a collaboration with Sojiro on Sept 25. They have his picture on their site. :)
I saw that weird Sojiro collaboration too! I wonder if it's gonna be a new ocarina or something. I could have sworn that Sojiro makes his own ocarinas though, I wonder what this team up is gonna be like.

bluebell
Member Avatar
Compulsive collector
Personally i prefer the design on the standard a little more. And the price :)

Also, from what i can get out of translate is the the event is an annual "ocarina night" that they hold, and this year Sojiro is their guest of honour. But the translation is a bit off....
Edited by bluebell, 8 Aug 2011, 05:22 AM.

agocs
Member Avatar
Inline Ocarinist x 2
Has anyone purchased this standard Night ocarina yet? Any experiences?

Mark Chan
Member Avatar

I purchased 2 Night ocarinas today on Amazon. One of them is the Standard AC (Lavendar), and the other is a plastic one by Noble (Ivory). I'll share my thoughts once I get them.

Mark Chan
Member Avatar

I got my NIGHT ocarinas, so here are my first impressions.

Standard NIGHT AC is a pretty nice ocarina.
Pros: It is very easy to play. Beginner friendly breath requirement. No acute bend needed. Beautiful clean sound with a slight hint of a texture (don't know how to describe it).
Cons: Smells like nail polish. The shape is like an L, making it tough on the wrists. When trying to reach high D and above, very easy to cover a hole while trying to hold ocarina.

NIGHT by Noble Plastic AC
I love this plastic ocarina so much! It is so much better than Focalink's plastic AC imo.
Pros: Breath requirements are low, and it sounds amazing! Feels great in the hands!
Cons: Condensation is a problem with all plastic ocs, but other than that, can't find much fault with it.

NIGHT Standard AC

NIGHT by Noble

Fred
Member Avatar
Serial Ocarina Philanderer
nice pics mark chan good to see a fellow photographer making good photographs :P

Mark Chan
Member Avatar

Thanks! I try to make them look presentable enough to make people want them, lol. :D

Fred
Member Avatar
Serial Ocarina Philanderer
your inspiring me to get started photographing mine before my order with larry comes in :p

Mark Chan
Member Avatar

I'd love to see them. Product photography is not my specialty, so I'd like to see how you do it. :)

OtakuOcarina
Member Avatar
Pendant Ocarinist
WindSong
8 Aug 2011, 03:15 AM

That is for sure their Fiorettos are so very expensive. I was looking at getting the Tenor Fioretto. wow way way too much money .
Is there acute bending technique with the NIGHT by noble ocarina's?
Edited by OtakuOcarina, 2 Aug 2015, 12:10 AM.

kissing
Member Avatar
tyrannical dictator

You can use acute bending on any ocarina. Most good quality ocarinas don't require you to do so if you have good breathing technique.

In my opinion, Night ocarinas are overrated and overpriced. They were around before ocarinas became highly popular and less expensive options of equivalent quality became popular.

They simply have not followed the times and have left their prices as they were before many competitors became available. In terms of sheer quality, I don't think they're worth it.

Stephen Bobchin
Member Avatar
Close the World, Open the Next

Please keep in mind that Night ocarinas are COMPLETELY different than Night by Noble ocarinas.

carbon
Lurker
Additionally, keep in mind that many people's ideas of brand are stagnant. They try an ocarina and that ocarina becomes representative of a company for all time. Since visiting Japan (and Night), Night has had at least one line redesign of their FIoretto ocarinas. I'm not sure about their lower cost ensemble line, but they were pretty good too. I tried all of them when I visited the Night factory in the summer 2014. I was also able to try a number of other brands that Night distributes...

Kissing

They simply have not followed the times and have left their prices as they were before many competitors became available

Their prices reflect their value within their market. I don't think anyone knows the market better than Night ocarina. I read an Japanese article a year or so ago that said that they have like 70% of the Japanese market. It might be even more, but I don't want to over-state it. I'm working now, but I'll see if I can find it later.

Basically, Night REALLY knows the ocarina market in Japan.

kissing
Member Avatar
tyrannical dictator

Night is simply the mainstream brand that gets sold in the local music stores and you can even find on department store shelves. They have had a firm hold on this mainstream market for years; before the other ocarina brands arose and became plentiful.

They are that mainstream, ubiquitous brand that a non-hobbyist would most easily run into.

Fortunately they are good quality; albeit relatively expensive for what you get. Clearly a magazine article is going to justify such things in a positive way. But I guess they are taking advantage of their widespreadness in the mainstream market; something a lot of other ocarina brands do not have as smaller scale operations (mainly sold online on their own websites).

Even in Korea, you find Nights everywhere in ample quantities at high prices. To the market savvy shopper, Night is the expensive, department store ocarina to avoid spending a lot of money on when there are many other brands you can buy from which offer similar or higher quality at better prices. They are the department store ocarina people may buy without much research.

Perhaps it is expensive to get the ocarinas out there on mainstream shop shelves; and hence the higher costs.

Clearly its a different story in Western markets, where every Asian ocarina requires thorough research to purchase xD

carbon
Lurker
You are mistaken, but frankly - the conversation isn't worth my time to point it out, especially since people will believe you anyway because of your reputation.

Jack Campin
Member Avatar
Opener of Catfood Tins

I don't see any great substantial disagreement between what the two of you are saying.

kissing
Member Avatar
tyrannical dictator

carbon
3 Aug 2015, 11:58 PM
You are mistaken, but frankly - the conversation isn't worth my time to point it out, especially since people will believe you anyway because of your reputation.

Wow that's a bit of a low blow.

I know that you have some experience in the ocarina market that I have not had, but the same goes around for you. You don't know what personal experiences and encounters I have had shopping for ocarinas in Korea and the people I have consulted with.
This is hence a difference in opinion regarding the ocarina market.

But hey, it's tempting to try and discredit someone and flee when you don't like someone's opinion.

I don't know what you attribute as my "reputation", but I believe reputation in general develops when someone consistently gives information which turns out to be true.

As for Night; I am not criticizing their business nor quality. I am just pointing out that in my ocarina market research, I have found them to be regarded as the department store ocarina and are expensive for what you get. If you don't agree with that, feel free to present your facts rather than bitter sentiment ;)

carbon
Lurker
Lol ok. You're extrapolating and drawing incorrect conclusions. I don't want to call to or have the energy to call you out...and this topic will be lost to the ages.

Think of it like this... You think a company hasn't kept up with the times, but they do more than what you think they do.

From a consumer perspective, sure... But you're leveling statements about business philosophy. Frankly, you're talking about what you know about and what you don't know makes you wrong... One day we can chat on Skype , but not today...

And yeah, people trust you - even when you're factually incorrect,

No offense intended. For the record I think you're sincere (this time) but wrong . Enjoy your "win" Lol...
Edited by carbon, 4 Aug 2015, 12:29 AM.

Tentenguy
Member Avatar
That guy

carbon
4 Aug 2015, 12:26 AM
Can confirm, used to blindly trust everything he said.

TBH I don't think it's fair to make blanket statements in general, especially when they're questioning the quality of an entire brand. If you had made it clear that what you said was an opinion, this would be different, but from my perspective, you're acting as though it's a fact that NIGHT ocarinas are
>overpriced
>not high(est) quality
>overmarketed
I will say that I do think they're overpriced, I will say that I think that they aren't the right ocarinas for everyone, and I also think that there are too many of them. That being said, to say that they are inferior to many other ocarinas is probably not true.
To some, a Night by Noble Plastic AC is the perfect ocarina. To others, it's a TNG Purple Clay triple. For me, I think Pacchionis and Takashis are great. What I'm saying is that there is no right ocarina for everyone, and there is no wrong ocarina for everyone.
(Except the OoC Replica, and even that has it's use as a prop)

kissing
Member Avatar
tyrannical dictator

Tentenguy
4 Aug 2015, 01:11 AM
carbon
4 Aug 2015, 12:26 AM
Can confirm, used to blindly trust everything he said.

TBH I don't think it's fair to make blanket statements in general, especially when they're questioning the quality of an entire brand. If you had made it clear that what you said was an opinion, this would be different, but from my perspective, you're acting as though it's a fact that NIGHT ocarinas are
>overpriced
>not high(est) quality
>overmarketed
I will say that I do think they're overpriced, I will say that I think that they aren't the right ocarinas for everyone, and I also think that there are too many of them. That being said, to say that they are inferior to many other ocarinas is probably not true.
To some, a Night by Noble Plastic AC is the perfect ocarina. To others, it's a TNG Purple Clay triple. For me, I think Pacchionis and Takashis are great. What I'm saying is that there is no right ocarina for everyone, and there is no wrong ocarina for everyone.
(Except the OoC Replica, and even that has it's use as a prop)
I have made it clear it was an opinion. Scroll up and reread this post:

kissing

In my opinion, Night ocarinas are overrated and overpriced. They were around before ocarinas became highly popular and less expensive options of equivalent quality became popular.

They simply have not followed the times and have left their prices as they were before many competitors became available. In terms of sheer quality, I don't think they're worth it.

@carbon
I'm not sure what's getting peoples' panties in a knot over this topic.

I have an opinion about Night. I have seen and played many of them in person in stores. I did my market research both directly in stores and online and spoke to various people who are well inside the ocarina market (eg: Ocarina Museum of Korea's curator), and that is the impression of Night that I have deduced. I have nothing to gain in providing my opinion, which is based on firsthand research and primary sources.

If you disagree and have experiences that point in another direction, feel free to contribute your findings.

But seriously, personally attacking my image in public, implying I have hidden agendas is really low. Face me with facts and your own opinions on the matter. If you want someone to insult, find someone else. This is not the place for it, and I am not interested in what you have to gain in attempting to discredit my integrity in front of the ocarina community.

Claytone
Member Avatar
Double Ocarinist x 2
Since when do forum users have to mark their comment as "opinion"?
What else could it be?

kissing
Member Avatar
tyrannical dictator

When your name is carbon, it's fact. When he disagrees with your opinion, it makes you factually wrong.

Just summarizing my observations based on the above conversation..

Stephen Bobchin
Member Avatar
Close the World, Open the Next

For points one and two, I have to agree, they are overpriced for what they are, and they aren't the highest quality. That said, I don't consider maparams the highest quality, so use that as a way to gauge my biases if you wish.

carbon
Lurker
kissing
4 Aug 2015, 08:40 AM
When your name is carbon, it's fact. When he disagrees with your opinion, it makes you factually wrong.

I honestly don't care about your opinions. Once again, I'm not interested in calling you out or anything. In your assessment of Night and in your assessment of me and my statements, you've made factually incorrect assumptions. It isn't worth my time to correct them, especially since 1. people probably will believe you anyway and 2. even when confronted with factually correct information I doubt you'll change your rhetoric.

It's that simple. It's nothing personal. It is what it is. It's not a big deal.

kissing
Member Avatar
tyrannical dictator

carbon
4 Aug 2015, 03:22 PM
kissing
4 Aug 2015, 08:40 AM

I honestly don't care about your opinions. Once again, I'm not interested in calling you out or anything. In your assessment of Night and in your assessment of me and my statements, you've made factually incorrect assumptions. It isn't worth my time to correct them, especially since 1. people probably will believe you anyway and 2. even when confronted with factually correct information I doubt you'll change your rhetoric.

It's that simple. It's nothing personal. It is what it is. It's not a big deal.
I think this topic has really blown out of proportion.

We are going to have to agree to disagree. I think we have a core difference in how we interpret disagreement.

When asked to provide an opinion on something, anything (eg: What do you think of Night?), I don't believe there is a "factually" correct or incorrect opinion. An opinion is an opinion. It's a perspective - a personal impression one has about a certain thing, person or company. I expressed an opinion, and even explained in some detail how I have arrived to that opinion.

Everyone will have their own opinions based on their experiences, knowledge and background.
In such a community, I believe a certain level of mutual respect and tolerance is required towards other people whose opinion may differ from your's.
To me, this is a reasonable level of etiquette that can be expected on forums.

You, on the other hand, believe that the question "What do you think of Night?" has one encyclopedic, factual answer that only you can provide.
I get the impression that you believe that you are in some kind of superior position compared to others to provide the "right" answer.
No matter how objective you think you are, what you think of Night will always be your own opinion, not indisputable fact.

Sure, everyone has the opportunity to present their opinion based on a set of facts and observations that may make their opinion more plausible to others. However, blatantly telling someone that their personal opinion is "factually incorrect" is nonsensical and rude.

To me, the rational thing to do then is to respectfully disagree and present your opinion.
Given the time you have spent replying to this topic telling me how "factually incorrect" my opinions are, I think you could have channeled a lot of it actually discussing the subject matter.

I have nothing personal against you. In fact, I generally respect the vast experience and knowledge you have about ocarinas.
If you have something to contribute about Night ocarinas, please enlighten us.

carbon
Lurker
Yeah. I agree. Someone here is blowing this WAY out of proportion.

SpiritWind Ocarina
Member Avatar
Ocarina maker

I know you are both opinionated people but at least kissing has at least said you two are not going to agree on the subject and has made clear that all of this is up to your own personal opinion... Carbon, for some res you keep saying you're not gonna take the time to argue with him and yet always seem to want to have the last word...

Claytone
Member Avatar
Double Ocarinist x 2
Quote:

Carbon, for some res you keep saying you're not gonna take the time to argue with him and yet always seem to want to have the last word...
Let's continue in this thread:
http://theocarinanetwork.com/topic/7976760/1/

carbon
Lurker
FWIW : I don't think any ocarina provides a better value than the Night by Noble plastic (in my opinion).

I'm not really in the market for expensive ocarinas, so I'm a big fan of a plastic ocarina provide such a great value.
Edited by carbon, 6 Aug 2015, 07:47 PM.

kissing
Member Avatar
tyrannical dictator

carbon

FWIW : I don't think any ocarina provides a better value than the Night by Noble plastic (in my opinion).

I'm not really in the market for expensive ocarinas, so I'm a big fan of a plastic ocarina provide such a great value.

I think a big part of our misunderstanding is that I was not talking about the "Night by Noble" plastic.
I was talking about actual Night ocarinas - their original ceramic range.
I was not talking about the Night by Noble, due to Stephen Bobchin's post earlier in this conversation:

Stephen Bobchin

Please keep in mind that Night ocarinas are COMPLETELY different than Night by Noble ocarinas.

I don't really see the "Night by Noble" as a Night product.
It's stuck in my mind as primarily a Noble product, as it is nearly identical to Noble's plastic ocarina. I believe the "Night" branding is there for marketing purposes (eg: in Japan).

But yes, branding aside, they're GREAT ocarinas that have changed the ocarina world. I apologise if I didn't give enough credit to Night (though I wonder exactly how much Night actually contributed to the NbN).

Is this a Night by Noble ocarina?
Posted Image
Think again!

Mark Chan
Member Avatar

I showed my Night by Noble ocarina to Noble (Mr. Kim?) in Budrio and asked if it was the same thing as the plastics that were on display. He said it's the same. The new maroon colored ones certainly felt the same (but I didn't check with tuner). I played the older Noble plastic which was lighter breath than NbN. I prefer both subholes on the right hand, so I may pick up a new plastic Noble at the HongSeong festival in October.

carbon
Lurker
Mark:
I'm VERY curious if newer Noble plastic ocarinas have the same playing characteristics as the Night by Noble. I wish you would have bought one. This is going to make things even more confusing since there will be 3 different plastic Noble ocarinas in the wild, all of them with VERY similar appearances. The soft breath plastic vs the alleged higher breath plastic will be especially daunting...

Kissing :
I think the misunderstanding is that you think I have a problem with your opinion. I don't. To some people, even the NbN isn't a good value. Those people likely don't have a lot of disposable income and want something VERY inexpensive. Everyone has a different set of values and must make buying decisions based upon those values. I completely agree with that sentiment. You and I agree on more than you seem to recognize. That's okay. Like I said, I don't want to be in the business of correcting you or debating you. It isn't worth the time and TON has much better things.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
ZetaBoards - Free Forum Hosting
Create your own social network with a free forum.
« Previous Topic · Question and Answer · Next Topic »
Add Reply

Find us on Twitter Facebook | Read the FAQ