Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

- News Ticker

Donations - Please consider donating to The Ocarina Network to keep us afloat. More detail can be found in this topic. •
The Ocarina Network - Serving the ocarina community since April 27th 2008
Welcome to The Ocarina Network, a place for ocarina enthusiasts from all around the globe!

You're currently viewing The Ocarina Network as a guest.

If you join The Ocarina Network, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customising your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. On top of that we have a great number of music scores and backtracks for you to download.

Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Register at The Ocarina Network!

If you're already a member please log into your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
  • Pages:
New Ocarina Webstore!; Arenda Franken/Schwessie
Topic Started: 30 Jul 2011, 09:22 PM (5,185 Views)
Schwessie
Member Avatar
Ocarina-maker
Hi everyone,

I have great news!

I`ve not been online that much lately because of work, but behind the scenes I`ve also been busy with starting up my own ocarina webstore. I took two weeks off work to get most of the things arranged, like making the website, chamber of commerce, etc.

The website is not done yet, but I guess everything will be up and running in a few weeks. In the webstore I`ll be selling my handmade ocarinas and some accessories that I am also planning to make myself.

For now the store (Arenda`s Ocarina`s) will be in Dutch, but I think Google translate will get everyone the info they need. So, I hope everyone is as excited as I am about the website! The URL will be:

www.arendafranken.nl

And for all the other ocarina-sellers. Don`t worry... I still work 30 hours a week at my other job, so there will be anough customers left for you, :-)

So in a while check my new store. I`ll let you know when it`s up and running.

Bye,

Arenda.
Edited by Schwessie, 4 Aug 2011, 08:00 AM.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Dullahan
Member Avatar
Don't you just love soundwalking?

I'm hyped up for this Schwessie! I'll be looking forward to purchase one of your ocs!! ;)

Jhaemes
Member Avatar
wow

Awesome ^^

I'm looking forward to this.

Schwessie
Member Avatar
Ocarina-maker
Thanks Dullahan and Jhaemes,

I`m still busy making more ocarinas and other stuff for the shop. And ofcourse finishing the site.
Hope you habe a bit more patience.

Bye ,

Arenda

speckles
Member Avatar
I’ve been hypnotized

This is great! :thumbsup:

Arenda, I'm moving this to the European Ocarinas section. ;)

Ninja Ocarina
Dragon Toothist?
Hey Arenda, I'm sure i can speak for everyone when i say I'm really looking forward to seeing what you have to offer soon!!

Do you have any photo's or previews of the ocarina's you'll be selling?
would be appreciated.

Good luck with the store! :D

Yoshi
Member Avatar
Triple Ocarinist
Omg! I have watched your YouTube videos, and your work is beautiful! Sooo excited :D
Edited by Yoshi, 1 Aug 2011, 04:16 AM.

Ocarinadiva
Member Avatar
Play what makes you happy. - Achint

This is fantastic for people living in Europe! Best wishes Arenda! :D

passaggio
Member Avatar
♪♫ Je veux vivre dans ce ręve qui m'enivre. ♪♫
Awesome! :) I don't live in Europe, but look forward to seeing a new store come online.
Good luck, Schwessie!

Schwessie
Member Avatar
Ocarina-maker
Thanks Everyone,

Working hard to get everything done!

Arenda

Jack Campin
Member Avatar
Opener of Catfood Tins

From the videos, your stuff sounds good.

But I don't think the ocarina with a face is a good idea to turn into a product. It's too much like the Muse. Fine as a proof that you can do it, but I'd leave it there.

Most ocarina makers have some distinctive angle that only they can offer (Gosselink: imaginative zoomorphism, Menaglio: closeness to historic tradition, Meier and Songbird: intriguing designs, STL: a marketing apparatus, Hind: craftsmanship in distinctive materials and a sound nobody else tries for, etc etc). You need to figure out what yours is going to be.

You come across on screen as warm and friendly, the sort who'd be great with kids. You may not have thought about turning your personality into a marketing asset but if you did go into making ocarinas specifically for children you've got what it takes to make people believe they'll be good.

Schwessie
Member Avatar
Ocarina-maker
Thanks Jack,

I am trying for great sounding ocarinas... so Hind watch out, haha. Ofcourse the sound is different, because he uses wood. I think I will primarily go for organic looking ocarinas with a really smooth shape and finish. I am not going to use the face-ocarina in my store... only a picture to show people what is possible, just like you said. BTW.. I wasn`t trying to copy The Muse. I just made that one for fun... like the rest of my ocarinas. If I was... it would have looked exactly like the muse, lol.
Also most of the videos on Youtube are really old by now and the ocarinas have gotten much better since then. But the videos... that was how it all started. I just made ocarinas as a hobby and then people started asking me to make them an ocarina... so now I`m just upgrading a bit.
The 10/12 hole model I`ll start with looks a bit like the Echo from STL. But that also wasn`t copied. I already made a similar shape for an ocarina exchange before the Echo appeared. Now I made a new model and mold that people might recognise as my style. Ofcourse I`d still like to make an intriguing design every now and then, but I`ll see what I come up with lateron.
Oh and by the way... Jack,

You were right. I actually do work with kids. I work at a 24-hour care facility for children with lower IQ`s and behavioural problems. It`s tough sometimes, but I always try to give it my best. It`s hard enough that they can`t live with their parents, so I try to give them a stable environment with enough rules to give them the security and guidance they need, but I also try to put in as much fun and learning to make their time as pleasant as possible.

Arenda
Posted Image

Hi everyone... here`s a picture of the 12-hole. Ofcourse these aren`t glazed yet. Don`t have other pictures right now.
Tell me what you think.

Bye,

Arenda
Edited by Schwessie, 2 Aug 2011, 11:55 AM.

Vermin
Member Avatar
O·ca·ri·na - pla·ying - an·droid
Hmmm, it looks pretty cool. I hope you are good at basses. I am looking forward to a good one and if I buy from you, I won't be having to deal with taxes and customs or generally high shipping costs because of ordering abroad, since I will just order from the same country.
I don't completely understand, but it appears the webshop supports Paypal and iDeal as well through some other systems. I will be using iDeal for sure!
Now let me check out those youtube videos everyone is talking about :D

Jack Campin
Member Avatar
Opener of Catfood Tins

Very nice graceful shapes. They don't need an elaborate glaze.

If you see yourself making a 10-hole in E or 10-holes in custom-tuned scales, let me know.

Saki
Member Avatar
Surprisingly not dead
Your twelve holes look really, really nice! I love the shape.

Schwessie
Member Avatar
Ocarina-maker
Thanks Vermin, Jack, Saki,
I`m glad you like the shape. Oh and Jack... I can make ocarinas in custom scales, but those are going to be a bit more expensive bacause of all the work involved. Just have a look at the site when it`s done.

Sarume
doremifaso

They look so beautiful ^^

Would the be any price add if i requested one with taiwanese fingering?

Zackrocker
Transverse Ocarinist x 2
WOW I am impressed!

MurderlessCrow
Member Avatar
Ocarina Player x 9000!!!
those look like amazing ocarinas
have you got a price on them in U.S.D if its not too much to ask

Jhaemes
Member Avatar
wow

Doc_Oc
3 Aug 2011, 09:19 PM
In future, it'd be easier to do your own currency conversions using a simple Google search.

Say the currency was in euros and you wanted it in dollars.

You'd put into the Google search bar : X euro to usd

Schwessie
Member Avatar
Ocarina-maker
Sarume
3 Aug 2011, 09:10 PM
They look so beautiful ^^

Would the be any price add if i requested one with taiwanese fingering?
I am also going to offer personalized 10/12-holes. (optinal name in the ocarina / custom glazing), I guess different fingerins fall in that category too. The price will be 74,95 euros for a 10-hole, 79,95 euros for a 12-hole.

There are even more possibilities like custom shapes and custom tuning, but because of the time involved and difficulty the price will be higher too.

Doc_Oc
3 Aug 2011, 09:19 PM
The price for a 10-hole will be 64,95 euros, a 12-hole will be 69,95 euros. So about 92 and 100 dollars. But then you have a perfectly tuned and great sounding ocarina.

Vermin
2 Aug 2011, 01:06 PM
Hmmm, it looks pretty cool. I hope you are good at basses. I am looking forward to a good one and if I buy from you, I won't be having to deal with taxes and customs or generally high shipping costs because of ordering abroad, since I will just order from the same country.
I don't completely understand, but it appears the webshop supports Paypal and iDeal as well through some other systems. I will be using iDeal for sure!
Currently I don`t have any bass ocarinas yet, but as soon as the site is done I`ll start working on new models.
I will offer the possibility of custom ocarinas, so that might be an option. And yes I will offer Ideal and Paypal.
Edited by Schwessie, 3 Aug 2011, 10:01 PM.

Dullahan
Member Avatar
Don't you just love soundwalking?

Well, Arenda, let me tell you, those look fantastic!! I'm eager to listen to see sound samples and check what glazes do you coe up with. I'd like to see even some Shellac on those. :)

RJ924
Member Avatar
My ocarina has no hair...either

Very nice Arenda! I like the shape. I am looking forward to hearing some sound samples of them, and will be looking for your store's grand opening. I hope you will make some youtube videos showing off your new ocarinas (both their beauty and beautiful sound). I love to see more people making ocarinas. I am sure these will be excellent!
Roger

Jack Campin
Member Avatar
Opener of Catfood Tins

Quote:

I am also going to offer personalized 10/12-holes. (optional name in the ocarina / custom glazing)

Now THAT is clever. The only other instrument where I've seen that done is the accordion (some players get their name put on in rhinestones). You may be the first maker in the 150-year history of the ocarina to offer it.

I'm not enough of an egomaniac to want it for me, though.

Ocarinadiva
Member Avatar
Play what makes you happy. - Achint

Those look great Arenda. I'm looking forward to seeing the different options of glazing too. :)

passaggio
Member Avatar
♪♫ Je veux vivre dans ce ręve qui m'enivre. ♪♫
Personalization does sound like a clever idea!
And I love the shape of your ocarinas, Arenda. :) If you just put a clear protective glaze on, then you'd already have a wonderful, finished product (in my eyes).

Saki
Member Avatar
Surprisingly not dead
Quote:

If you just put a clear protective glaze on, then you'd already have a wonderful, finished product (in my eyes).

^I agree with this.

Schwessie
Member Avatar
Ocarina-maker
RJ924
4 Aug 2011, 01:21 AM
I hope you will make some youtube videos showing off your new ocarinas (both their beauty and beautiful sound).
Thanks! I will put up some more Youtube videos once the site is done!
Today I worked on some more ocarinas. Tomorrow... back to working on the webstore!
Edited by Schwessie, 5 Aug 2011, 08:50 PM.

Krešimir Cindrić

Schwessie
They look very elegant and beautiful. In my opinion, you shouldn't glaze them. It would only distract from their beautiful shape and make them less ergonomic (glaze is slippery). I say, paint them with natural shellac to protect the clay from absorbing moisture, and they will be perfect! :D
Edited by Krešimir Cindrić, 5 Aug 2011, 09:12 PM.

Cavalier
Member Avatar
Always look on the bright side of life.
Krešimir Cindrić
5 Aug 2011, 09:07 PM
Schwessie
They look very elegant and beautiful. In my opinion, you shouldn't glaze them. It would only distract from their beautiful shape and make them less ergonomic (glaze is slippery). I say, paint them with natural shellac to protect the clay from absorbing moisture, and they will be perfect! :D
Oh? And what type of oc would this resemble? Surely not Italians....

Anywho nice job, can't wait for the sound samples!

Schwessie
Member Avatar
Ocarina-maker
Cavalier
5 Aug 2011, 09:18 PM
They look very elegant and beautiful. In my opinion, you shouldn't glaze them. It would only distract from their beautiful shape and make them less ergonomic (glaze is slippery). I say, paint them with natural shellac to protect the clay from absorbing moisture, and they will be perfect!
I never worked with natural shellac before... but ofcourse the ocarinas need to be baked. Otherwise they won`t last long... the airway will deteriorate quickly. I know that you can add alcohol to the flakes and then paint with it, but I do`nt know if that works on fired stoneware. I`d have to figure that out. Also... doesn`t the color fade/come off easily? It might be a nice idea to paint them with shellac and then add a transparent glaze. That would be cool. If the color sticks with firing.
Hmmmm. I just reas somewhere that shellac doesn`t withstand heat very well, so stat`s not good.
Edited by Schwessie, 5 Aug 2011, 10:19 PM.

Krešimir Cindrić

@Schwessie, shellac is not a paint. It is a natural, non-toxic, organic lacquer, usually applied to wood to protect it and to give it shiny finish (so-called French polish). It is not a colour, but a transparent finish (with a slight brownish hue that varies in intensity as there are many types of shellac), so it will not fade. It doesn't come off easily, unless it is intentionally removed with alcohol.

Of course, ocarinas have to be fired before the shellac is applied, and not fired again - shellac is organic and burns in the high temperatures of the kiln, so it is not possible, or necessary, to apply a glaze over it.

Almost all modern and some old Italian ocarinas are painted with shellac, as well as MapAram ocarinas, some Focalink ocarinas and many others. It is necessary to apply over straw fired ocarinas, to protect the burning marks from being wiped off.

Schwessie
Member Avatar
Ocarina-maker
Thanks Kresimir... I might have to get some and try it!

Schwessie
Member Avatar
Ocarina-maker
Today I`m doing some trials to get the domain up and running... I hope the site will be online pretty soon!

Sarume
doremifaso

All in all i have to agree with kresimir that the ocarinas look wonderful without glaze already <3

Schwessie
Member Avatar
Ocarina-maker
Sarume
10 Aug 2011, 12:03 PM
All in all i have to agree with kresimir that the ocarinas look wonderful without glaze already <3
Thanks Sarume,
I might also make some with only a transparent glaze... I always like the simplcity.

lallave2006
Member Avatar
Senpai
they look very nice a bit pricy tho but its hand man so it should be woth it :D

Krešimir Cindrić

Hi Arenda,

You have a very lovely website. But the music theorist in me cringed when I saw one phrase which is so often and so unfairly used to described our beloved instrument. So, I suggest to you, not to use expressions like "gestemd in de toonladder van Fis-majeur". You should instead change it to simply "gestemd in Fis".

Why am I making a fuss out of it? Well, the first phrase implies that your ocarina is a diatonic instrument, while it is, in fact, a chromatic one. Chromatic instruments can be played in any key, unlike diatonic instruments, which are limited to the notes of one or two keys.

To say that an ocarina is "in the key/scale of F sharp major" is not correct, because it implies that the ocarina cannot play all the notes it can. You should simply say "in F sharp" (not major (majeur), not key, not scale (toonladder)), because this designates the transposition of the ocarina, not its key (ocarinas are not in the key, since they are chromatic).

Anyway, great work with the website, just please keep in mind my little remark... :thumbsup:
Edited by Krešimir Cindrić, 10 Aug 2011, 06:25 PM.

Schwessie
Member Avatar
Ocarina-maker
Thanks Kres,

I guess you are right. With several I did write that it plays the chromatics, but I overlooked the suggstion that the ocarina is a diatonic instrument. I think I`ll adjust that tomorrow. I was a bit surprised that you could already take a look. I put it online this afternoon but at my pc it`s not visible yet at www. arendafranken.nl. Maybe tomorrow. Sometimes it takes a while.

Jack Campin
Member Avatar
Opener of Catfood Tins

Actually when I mentioned custom tunings before, one of the things I had in mind was a D saba ocarina:

http://www.maqamworld.com/maqamat/saba.html (the "second form" they mention there, where the octave is flattened).

That's pretty difficult to do accurately with crossfingerings on a D major ocarina, easier if the ocarina is specially tuned that way. Conversely somebody who picked up a D saba ocarina would not be a happy bunny when they tried playing a major scale on it. So for me, saying an ocarina is in a specific key makes sense. The key is what the simple linear fingering pattern gives you with no halfholings or crossfingerings. Yep, you can do other scales - doesn't change the fact that one of them is more natural than any of the others.

Here's an E minor ocarina (by Nadishana):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t0GAEyjujkA
Edited by Jack Campin, 10 Aug 2011, 10:22 PM.

Schwessie
Member Avatar
Ocarina-maker
Jack Campin
10 Aug 2011, 10:17 PM
Actually when I mentioned custom tunings before, one of the things I had in mind was a D saba ocarina:

http://www.maqamworld.com/maqamat/saba.html (the "second form" they mention there, where the octave is flattened).

That's pretty difficult to do accurately with crossfingerings on a D major ocarina, easier if the ocarina is specially tuned that way. Conversely somebody who picked up a D saba ocarina would not be a happy bunny when they tried playing a major scale on it. So for me, saying an ocarina is in a specific key makes sense. The key is what the simple linear fingering pattern gives you with no halfholings or crossfingerings. Yep, you can do other scales - doesn't change the fact that one of them is more natural than any of the others.
Also true, but If you just write for example tuned in F. Then people would still know that playing the notes in the F-scale would be easiest with linear fingering.
I took a look at the D Saba scale. I guess playing a major scale with that tuning would indeed not be easy. Making an ocarina with a linear pattern in that scale can be done ofcourse, only I`m not sure if it`s possible to find a system for playing the chromatics / notes in between. It might be a fun challenge!

Poltergeist
Member Avatar
Pink Elephant on Parade

Schwessie

Also true, but If you just write for example tuned in F. Then people would still know that playing the notes in the F-scale would be easiest with linear fingering.

Not completely true. People in China might believe that an instrument "in F" plays the C major scale with linear fingering. They have a different way to name their instruments.

But on-topic: Great work, both the ocarinas and your webstore! I'm going to order one soon. Probably even a custom one, made specifically and officially in the key of F# (or any other, doesn't matter) instead of only "in F#". How much would that cost me extra? ;)

Schwessie
Member Avatar
Ocarina-maker
Hi Poltergeist,

I actually did change it back a bit and added tuned in (for example) F-major, so that it`s clear that the scales are not in minor and added that the ocarinas do play all chromatic notes. So I hope that it`s clear now for everyone.
The different options for custom ocarinas and prizes are on the site. The ones with custom tuning are the most expensive 149,95 euros, because they are also the hardest to make. There is only so much room to raise the basic pitch with a tuninghole, otherwise you lose the sound in higher notes. That`s why it`s very probable that I have to make more than one ocarina to get the right interior volume for the scale that you want. What do you guys think of the ocarina-stand?

Arenda

Poltergeist
Member Avatar
Pink Elephant on Parade

Schwessie
11 Aug 2011, 10:05 AM
I actually did change it back a bit and added tuned in (for example) F-major, so that it`s clear that the scales are not in minor and added that the ocarinas do play all chromatic notes. So I hope that it`s clear now for everyone.
It always has been clear for everyone, except for Kres. ;)

I don't want a specific pitch, I want it to be officially "in the key" of something, just to annoy Kres. Something like the words "Ocarina in the key of X" written on the instrument. :D
Edited by Poltergeist, 11 Aug 2011, 10:26 AM.

Krešimir Cindrić

Schwessie
11 Aug 2011, 10:05 AM
My original remark still holds. You should remove the word "major". Please, change it back to say tuned "in F". When you say it is tuned in "F major" it means it is NOT chromatic. You can write it is chromatic, but then you just make a contradiction. Do not worry so much about scales - you can play ANY scale on any ocarina, major, minor, everything...

Minor scales ocarinas, Jack is talking about, are usually played as diatonic instruments, not chromatic. If you listen to music performed by Nadishana, it is purely diatonic in one key. Then it is safe to say "ocarina in the key" or "ocarina in minor", because such an instrument is intentionally limited to one scale. True ocarinas are, same as piano, chromatic instrument, not tuned to a specific scale.

Poltergeist

I don't want a specific pitch, I want it to be officially "in the key" of something, just to annoy Kres. Something like the words "Ocarina in the key of X" written on the instrument. :D
It seems Poltergeist is exploiting you for his malicious and intentional sabotage of my efforts to educate people about music theory and the result are innocent victims, that get confused regarding music theory. I would recommend not listening to what that fool says.
Edited by Krešimir Cindrić, 11 Aug 2011, 10:39 AM.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · European Ocarinas · Next Topic »
Add Reply
  • Pages:

Find us on TwitterFacebook | Read the FAQ