Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

- News Ticker

Donations - Please consider donating to The Ocarina Network to keep us afloat. More detail can be found in this topic.
The Ocarina Network - Serving the ocarina community since April 27th 2008
Welcome to The Ocarina Network, a place for ocarina enthusiasts from all around the globe!

You're currently viewing The Ocarina Network as a guest.

If you join The Ocarina Network, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customising your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. On top of that we have a great number of music scores and backtracks for you to download.

Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Register at The Ocarina Network!

If you're already a member please log into your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
  • Pages:
Tenrai Ocarinas; A fairly new ocarina maker
Topic Started: 23 Jul 2011, 02:09 PM (9,312 Views)
Saki
Member Avatar
Surprisingly not dead
Since we don't have an official page for them yet...

Posted Image

Tenrai Ocarinas is an American ocarina company founded in 2010 that currently makes 6 hole pendants and 8 hole extended range pendants.

The 6 holes have a short windway, allowing easy fipple bending, and the 8 holes actually have subholes, which is rare for a pendant and makes them fully chromatic. Despite their high pitch, Tenrais sound sweet rather than shrill. They are also small and light enough to be worn as a necklace. They come in a variety of glazes, from simple to flashy. In the future, Tenrai will also be making 9 hole "hybrid" ocarinas, and standard 12 hole transverse ocarinas.

They sell off of their Ebay page: http://myworld.ebay.com/tenraiocarina/

You can also contact them for special orders through their email: info@tenraiocarina.com

Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/tenraiocarina

Reviews:
6 hole: http://theocarinanetwork.com/topic/7016253/1/
http://theocarinanetwork.com/topic/6984548/1/

8hole: http://theocarinanetwork.com/topic/7028944/1/
Edited by Saki, 23 Jul 2011, 07:37 PM.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Kartoonkid91
Member Avatar
Pokemon Master
I Love Tenrai Ocarinas!!!

RJ924
Member Avatar
My ocarina has no hair...either

We have two of these. I am impressed with the range of them, and love that I can easily play e flat and the low b.
Roger

DustyLad
Member Avatar
Double Ocarinist x 4
They look very nice, if i hadn't lost my taste for pendants i would have bought one already.

bluebell
Member Avatar
Compulsive collector
I am extremely pleased with my 2. I cant wait for the 9 & 12 holes!!!

OkamiFlautist
Member Avatar
Flautist & Ocarinist

I just ordered one of the Extended Range 8 hole ones from them. Can't wait for it to arrive!

Jubal
Member Avatar
Tree Hugger - Food is your right

I'll be buying the Japanese relief pendant. The 8-hole range, the songbook with the Forest Maze theme, and the 90% of the proceeds going to aid Japan is all too tempting.

passaggio
Member Avatar
♪♫ Je veux vivre dans ce rve qui m'enivre. ♪♫
I have their 6-hole obsidian. Really love it! It has great range & such beautiful tone. Easy fipple bends. And feels solid without being heavy...I wear it everywhere nowadays! Totally gonna be THAT girl. :D
(Only thing that bothered me a bit: The paint job didn't match the pretty Ebay pic exactly...but hey! Guess I expected that. Unique & still very beautiful.)

Anyway, I wanna try to get the Japanese relief pendant for an early-Christmas present or something. Hopefully, I'll convince someone I need it before Tenrai runs out. :S Though if that's the case, I'm gonna wait & see if they make sweet potatoes. That'd be cool.

p.s. Good work, Saki! I like this page.
Edited by passaggio, 24 Jul 2011, 04:02 AM.

Saki
Member Avatar
Surprisingly not dead
Just so everyone knows, China Sea is now out of stock, and new colors are coming soon. The newest is "Tahiti Grape", a blue/brown spotted glaze.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=260823855131&ih=016&category=10183&ssPageName=WDVW&rd=1#mainImage

DeTerminator
Transverse Ocarinist x 4
Eight- hole version in different colors is on Ebay now, for those interested. Price of the six- hole is up a little, too. Very nice pendants... eventually I will get the eight- hole, but think the various sixes that I have will work for now.

bluebell
Member Avatar
Compulsive collector
i love the new colours on the 8 holes.

Saki
Member Avatar
Surprisingly not dead
I <3 the new pendants. If I wasn't saving up for a double, they'd all be mine. All of them. I especially like how This one seems to glow.

Achint
Member Avatar
Fat Mouse >^_^<

Omg Saki, I was thinking of getting the exact same one! But like you I'm saving for a few other ocarinas and can't buy it xD Plus I've got the Japan relief one already...

OkamiFlautist
Member Avatar
Flautist & Ocarinist

Rofl, I was thinking of the same one as you two too XP Though I want to try my Japan Relief one first.
Edited by OkamiFlautist, 30 Jul 2011, 05:17 PM.

Jubal
Member Avatar
Tree Hugger - Food is your right

I need to start bringing in some cash :( These pendants look great! But I also want the Dove from Songbird.. so many ocarinas, so little cash.

passaggio
Member Avatar
♪♫ Je veux vivre dans ce rve qui m'enivre. ♪♫
Finally! :) Seeing the 8-holes out make me so happy. <3

bluebell
Member Avatar
Compulsive collector
I cant justify buying another 8 hole :( But they look so nice....

Music Forever
Member Avatar
Look on the bright side.
They look amazing! I'll definitely have to get one one day.

diranasaurus
Member Avatar
Inline Ocarinist x 3
I love my Tenrai pendant and can't wait to get one of the 8-holes. I couldn't justify buying a new 6-hole in one of the new glazes (even though I waaaant one), but I could get an 8-hole pendant in a new glaze.

Jhaemes
Member Avatar
wow

If nothing else comes up, I suspect I'll get a Tenrai after my next purchase ^^

EDIT: Now in the process of ordering a custom 8 hole Tenrai.
Edited by Jhaemes, 6 Aug 2011, 01:45 PM.

WindSong
Member Avatar

I've been searching to see if Tenrai has any plans to make an Alto C 8-hole. Haven't found anything.

Has anyone else heard?

Jhaemes
Member Avatar
wow

I recall someone getting a Soprano A, not sure about Alto pendants by Tenrai though.

I'd email, see if they would. I suspect they're saving Alto's until they make their transverse.

Saki
Member Avatar
Surprisingly not dead
I believe their nine hole may be an alto C. It is supposed to still be based off of the pendant fingering, but shaped like a transverse.

Achint
Member Avatar
Fat Mouse >^_^<

I actually asked Akira once about the potential of Alto Pendants, but she said that she doesn't like the idea of them because once they get bigger they don't really retain their "pendant-ness" and so the idea puts her off.

Plus she's got other stuff in the works such as:

Akira Tenrai

but, i am developing my 9, and 12 holes (which will be in the alto range), then wooden ocarinas afterwards, so there is a lot that i would like to accomplish before i consider creating larger pendants. :)

So yea!

WindSong
Member Avatar

Aah!
But Thanks!

I was just playing my Focalink Seedpod Alto C. I hadn't played it for a while. I like it. :)

The main reason I don't play it more is that quite a few of my songs need that lower A. I think if I had an Alto C English Pendant with subholes, I'd play it instead of my 12 hole transverse.

Achint
Member Avatar
Fat Mouse >^_^<

Oh, and Jhaemes all the 6-hole pendants are Soprano A's. I has it! :p

Jhaemes
Member Avatar
wow

Oh. I wonder if my 8 Hole will be a Soprano A too. That'd be great, since I don't own a Soprano A yet ^^

bluebell
Member Avatar
Compulsive collector
I think they are in C. Not too sure since i cant hear notes yet. But the diagram looks like a c on a keyboard.

Achint
Member Avatar
Fat Mouse >^_^<

No, the 8-Holes are all Soprano C's.

According to Akira, initially the 6 holes all used to be tuned to G#, but she tweaked them to go upto A.

Poltergeist
Member Avatar
Pink Elephant on Parade

Since both have the same size, both have the same lowest note, the "Soprano" A. But because of the different scale they are tuned to, the six holes are Soprano A's and the eight holes Soprano C's.

maria
Inline Ocarinist x 4
This is just a little ad that I made for the new Tenrai Ocarina of Time Replica. This replica is really accurate and sounds great too!

Posted Image

Sound Sample: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3jpMgedYqDc

Purchase the ocarina here: http://www.ebay.com/itm/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=250944770273#ht_2474wt_1299

Tenrai Ocarinas

Edited by maria, 6 Dec 2011, 09:04 PM.

bluebell
Member Avatar
Compulsive collector
That looks awesome. It really demonstrates the physical accuracy of the ocarina.

Roxas1154
Member Avatar
I want PIE!!!!
do they still sell 8 holes O.o ive benn wanting to get one but havent been able to find one :?

Kibbler
Member Avatar
Sick and tired
They haven't been putting them on eBay, but he'll probably make you one if you email him.

Roxas1154
Member Avatar
I want PIE!!!!
does it usually cost a little extra if you order a custom one, or is it the same price as the ones he puts up one ebay?

Kibbler
Member Avatar
Sick and tired
A glaze of your choice probably wouldn't cost more, maybe a few dollars, but I'd just ask him if I were you.

Achint
Member Avatar
Fat Mouse >^_^<

I remember getting an 8hole in a custom glaze for only $4 more iirc.

Roxas1154
Member Avatar
I want PIE!!!!
Are there any major differances between a 6 hole and an 8 hole ocarina?

Achint
Member Avatar
Fat Mouse >^_^<

The 8 hole has subholes.
That's the difference, however the quality control on the 8 holes is very iffy. The highest notes on the two I've owned were quite bad. I had sent the first one to be fixed but that voicing design just can't handle the high notes once the sub holes are drilled, so I'd steer clear of those.

Roxas1154
Member Avatar
I want PIE!!!!
so they have the exact same scale ? so it would be better to buy a 6 hole

Achint
Member Avatar
Fat Mouse >^_^<

Oh no, sorry I forgot to mention. The 6 holes are tuned to A, the 8 Holes to C.

Technically they're both tuned to A and are the same size, but once those subholes are drilled it raises the pitch to C.

Roxas1154
Member Avatar
I want PIE!!!!
ugh now i gotta think which one ill get :p

Achint
Member Avatar
Fat Mouse >^_^<

6 Hole for sure :P
Don't take a risk with 8 holes which might have bad quality and leave you disappointed.

If you want an ocarina in C, just go with a safe maker like Focalink or Terry Riley or Oberon (Eh? Eh? See what I did there Ross? xD).
I'm being presumptuous about that last one, I don't even know if he wants to sell them yet :p

Roxas1154
Member Avatar
I want PIE!!!!
he better sell them those ocarinas look sooooo AMAZING! XD are the 6 holes usually cheaper whit a custom glaze than an 8 hole

Achint
Member Avatar
Fat Mouse >^_^<

Yea, they are cheaper. But not by much really.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · America Continent Ocarinas · Next Topic »
Add Reply
  • Pages:

Find us on Twitter Facebook | Read the FAQ