Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

- News Ticker

Donations - Please consider donating to The Ocarina Network to keep us afloat. More detail can be found in this topic. •
The Ocarina Network - Serving the ocarina community since April 27th 2008
Welcome to The Ocarina Network, a place for ocarina enthusiasts from all around the globe!

You're currently viewing The Ocarina Network as a guest.

If you join The Ocarina Network, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customising your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. On top of that we have a great number of music scores and backtracks for you to download.

Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Register at The Ocarina Network!

If you're already a member please log into your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
  • Pages:
Obscure art forms
Topic Started: 21 Jul 2011, 07:20 PM (8,360 Views)
Matt
♪♫♪
Art, to me, is any medium in which you express yourself. That being said, there are many obscure forms of art. For example, a form of art I enjoy is route setting; that is, in indoor rock climbing, bolting holds on a wall to create a sequence of moves the climber must make to reach the top of the climb (or route). Similar to a video game, the person enjoying it must be of a minimum skill level to enjoy the entire work.

What obscure art forms do you enjoy?
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Kani
Member Avatar
Programming code, it might seem like just simple text for someone not into it. But it's really a big challenge writing code which can be understood easily by other programmers and yourself and at the same time works well.

Jack Campin
Member Avatar
Opener of Catfood Tins

It doesn't get more obscure than painting on discarded chewing gum:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-11677462
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/11/14/street-art-ben-wilsons-ch_n_783353.html#s182224

Ren_Miles
Member Avatar
Inline Ocarinist x 4
Wow the thing about the gum painting is very interesting! I find it amusing that someone can take something ugly and turn them pretty. :)

passaggio
Member Avatar
♪♫ Je veux vivre dans ce rêve qui m'enivre. ♪♫
Would love to stumble on a gum-painting one day! Truly special.

Not too obscure, but I love to mimic any sound I hear through whistle & beatbox. :) Brings me joy when I get it right.

Sora
Member Avatar
BOOM!
CSS is poetrty

Wire Man
Member Avatar
Wire Sculptor
I paint and reassemble skeletons I find that are in good condition. Last one I did was a feral cat. I have a lot of skeletons cleaning right now.

fermataheart
Member Avatar
"High and Mighty"
Some people paint with blood. Morbid, yes, but very striking.

z-kun
Member Avatar
/人◕ ‿‿ ◕人\
The gum painting guy reminds me of another Londoner who makes tiny scenes out of railroad miniatures all over England. I forget the name of the blog at the moment, though.

My friend wants to make a fur coat out of road kill as a satire piece (and I want to tan some rat skins for use in 1/6th scale projects. I mean, how cool would it be to have a 1/6th scale dire rat to go along with my elves and goblin?). Also, one of my other friends has a cousin that scans random dead animals that she finds so she can print out the scanned image for a collage she's making. o_O'

Customizing dolls and action figures isn't that obscure in itself, but some of the choices I make are kind of unusual/obscure. I sometimes have a hard time finding the right bodies to use as bases due to apparently obscure height and skintone combo requirements, and because I prefer to make guys with a variety of body types (generally slender/average) instead of all just "married to a Bowflex." Like my middle-aged overweight elf with stubble that he got from a wizard. Kind of the opposite of what you'd expect most anime fans who are fond of D&D to make when it comes to elves (he's charming, but he's no dainty pretty boy). I had to design a fat suit for him because overweight 1/6th scale figures with 25+ points of articulation pretty much don't exist. Granted, his ear got broken so I need to repair it, and he needs a pinch more stuffing on one side of his gut because he's a little lop-sided. And even though I've added to his cheeks, his face still seems a little too slim. x.x I also have a girl I need to make a zaftig corset for, because her body type just doesn't exist in 1/6th scale (A girl with some squish to her? What is this madness?!). I've got some customs of somewhat obscure anime characters, although it's actually not uncommon to see customs of obscure anime characters (it's possible to get many of the most popular character these days; so there's less need to make the most mainstream characters when many average and obscure characters aren't marketed in 1/6th scale).

darcado
Member Avatar
Transverse Ocarinist x 2
Living on its own is an art !!

Kabir
Member Avatar
I'm stuck to an ocarina!
darcado

Living on its own is an art !!
I like living... its fun!

Crystal Clay Ocarinas
Member Avatar
Ocarina designer and crafter (working my way to perfection)
Wire Man
12 Dec 2011, 10:12 PM
I paint and reassemble skeletons I find that are in good condition. Last one I did was a feral cat. I have a lot of skeletons cleaning right now.
Nice, like Ryan, the guy at Obscura antique and oddities?

OberonOcarinas
Member Avatar
~•Ocarina maker•~

I dont know how rare it is anymore, but I like to perform contact juggling (or sphere manipulation). Its a total art form in my opinion. :3

Crystal Clay Ocarinas
Member Avatar
I personnaly make chainmaille (I'm going to be on TV on an art show :)) and I make masks in clay. I also make ocarinas Duh.. and draw and write :) yay and sometimes,I do some magic tricks and some juggling! I'm very good at doing Houdini-esque shows (tied up in ropes and escaping).
Edited by Crystal Clay Ocarinas, 25 Dec 2011, 09:26 PM.

Stephen Bobchin
Member Avatar
Close the World, Open the Next

Might have to trade a sword for some of your chainmail ;)

Edit: Since I haven't posted to this thread, I am a swordsmith. Not so much obscure as rare.
Edited by Stephen Bobchin, 25 Dec 2011, 09:44 PM.

Crystal Clay Ocarinas
Member Avatar
Stephen Bobchin
25 Dec 2011, 09:43 PM
Might have to trade a sword for some of your chainmail ;)

Edit: Since I haven't posted to this thread, I am a swordsmith. Not so much obscure as rare.
That would be nice!

Tootieflutie
Member Avatar
Double Ocarinist x 3
I love the chewing gum painter! Sure makes you look at things differently!
Edited by Tootieflutie, 26 Dec 2011, 09:17 PM.

AmandaCeline
Member Avatar
Double Ocarinist
The chewing gum painter is awesome, I love how it's not even vandalism because gum isn't public property!

Percheron
Member Avatar
The Therian Ocarinist
I try to pratice Haida/Tlingit art forms. So far by just drawing them, but if I ever get the tools, I want to try to carve on wood next

Jack Campin
Member Avatar
Opener of Catfood Tins

Anonymous paper sculptures left in libraries around Edinburgh:

http://thisiscentralstation.com/featured/mysterious-paper-sculptures/

Philip
Member Avatar
KypSyd

Wow those paper sculptures are absolutely beautiful

Jack Campin
Member Avatar
Opener of Catfood Tins

Geometric patterns stamped out with snowshoes in frozen lakes:

http://www.mymodernmet.com/profiles/blogs/simon-beck-snow-art

Achint
Member Avatar
Fat Mouse >^_^<

90's kids - remember this guy?

hylian_shieldmaiden
Member Avatar
Can't settle on an avatar pic.
@Stephen Bobchin: You're a swordsmith?!?! That's so cool! I wish I could become a swordsmith! :jumpy:

Also, that gum artist is really cool! I wish someone would do something like that around where I live... Lord knows there's zillions of wads of gum ready for painting around here ;)

I grew up in an artistic family, so I've dabbled in various media over the years. I wouldn't say any of them are obsure though; I mostly do regular stuff like pencil sketches, painting, digital painting, sewing/cosplay-making, a bit of leather work and leather-burning... I've recently decided to try my hand at painting and assembling a couple of metal miniatures (like, for D&D and Pathfinder, both of which I'm currently learning to play). I also bought a My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic blindbag, and have started to re-paint her (planning on turning Cherry Spices into Sweetie Belle :3 ).

I'd love to learn how to work with fiberglass. And Wonderflex. And chainmail. And several other things. c:
Edited by hylian_shieldmaiden, 27 Mar 2012, 05:55 AM.

Stephen Bobchin
Member Avatar
Close the World, Open the Next

Yes, I am a swordsmith, and I used to do demos at Ren faires.
I can also add bench-jeweler to the list thanks to my grandpa taking my month of leave and teaching me his trade in depth.

edit: album showing a ring I made: http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10150812287064832.505099.512169831&type=3

Basically, if it involves manipulating metal, I seem to be fairly good at it. (one of the few things I can think about what I want to make, and actually make it how I want)
Edited by Stephen Bobchin, 27 Mar 2012, 06:40 AM.

Unsoph
Member Avatar
Unsophisticated By Nature
@Stephen Bobchin
Wow Stephen, that is utterly amazing. I seriously wish I could follow in that sort of trade. Maybe I still can, or maybe I'll pick-up some other kind of craft in due time.

All I really can do around now is small league image manipulation and poetry.

FortyTwoBlades
Member Avatar
Plays With Sharp Things
Stephen Bobchin
27 Mar 2012, 06:38 AM
Yes, I am a swordsmith, and I used to do demos at Ren faires.
I can also add bench-jeweler to the list thanks to my grandpa taking my month of leave and teaching me his trade in depth.

edit: album showing a ring I made: http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10150812287064832.505099.512169831&type=3

Basically, if it involves manipulating metal, I seem to be fairly good at it. (one of the few things I can think about what I want to make, and actually make it how I want)
What kind of swords do you primarily make? I'm not a maker, but I AM a retailer, professional designer, and enthusiast of all sorts of edged items so my interest is piqued! I'd love to see photos of your work. :pirate:

Lord Seg
Member Avatar
Resident Lurker, Future Overlord
@Stephen Bobchin I can't see the ring but I have seen some of your swords which are amazing :jumpy: Have you thought of attempting to make a metal ocarina?

Jack Campin
Member Avatar
Opener of Catfood Tins

Quote:

I'd love to learn how to work with fiberglass.

I've made a few useful objects with it - like wrist supports for my girlfriend when she had a chronic sprain (remoulding them to fit when she lost weight). But I've been wary of getting too much into it after finding out what happened to Niki de St Phalle, the greatest artist ever to work with it:

http://www.nikidesaintphalle.com/

Horrible lung damage and rheumatoid arthritis. She kept working at a furious rate for her entire life despite knowing that her artistic medium was destroying her.

SuperBobKing
Member Avatar
Quadruple Ocarinist
I wanna see some of your swords Steven

Drockja1206
Member Avatar
Pendant/Transverse oc player.
That guy who makes the patterns in the snow reminds me of an etch-e-sketch.

The Doctor
Member Avatar
Actor Writer Whovian Musician Snake Charmer Sword Fighter Genius Ocarina player and humble too
This may seem small and insigifigant compared to all of that, but I Papercraft. It is a art form that involves making 3 demential models completely out of paper! It's really fun to do! Here is a picture of a life size Link
http://www.papercraftmuseum.com/life-sized-link-images/
Yes it is paper! I make make models on a much smaller scale, but some day I would like to make Link
Edited by The Doctor, 18 Oct 2012, 03:49 PM.

Roxas1154
Member Avatar
I want PIE!!!!
...wow that is amazing O.o i would love to be able to do that!!!

hylian_shieldmaiden
Member Avatar
Can't settle on an avatar pic.
Is papercraft difficult? I've been kinda interested in making a life-sized OoT Link model for a while now, but I don't really wanna attempt to do it if I'm just gonna screw up and waste money on paper :blush:

SuperBobKing
Member Avatar
Quadruple Ocarinist
Some models are, some aren't, but I would definitely recommend starting on something simpler, because your first few probably won't look too great. Also don't start on something really small, say a tank the size of a matchbox car with instructions in a foreign language that is incomprehensible like I did (after that a toothpick started seeming humongous).

The Doctor
Member Avatar
Actor Writer Whovian Musician Snake Charmer Sword Fighter Genius Ocarina player and humble too
You Papercraft SuperBobKing? nice... what are some of the favorite models you have done?
Ocarina1231

By the way, dont try to do the life size link... hundreds of sheets of paper, hundreds of hours of work. Go to papercraftmuseum.com to find all kinds of cool models, including much smaller and easier Zelda models
Edited by The Doctor, 18 Oct 2012, 09:59 PM.

SuperBobKing
Member Avatar
Quadruple Ocarinist
I have done a little, but not very much because of lack of time for it. But I probably will just consider the one I am working on a loss and move on, partly because the paper I got to use is made of two layers, and they tend to separate when wet an come apart. Plus it is really thick and doesn't look very good. What type of paper do you recommend?

The Doctor
Member Avatar
It can be heavier and harder to work with, but I recommend standard card-stock. It is thicker than regular paper, giving the model more stability. however, as I mentioned before it can be harder to work with with very precise, clean folds. But hey, I think it is worth the extra effort because it give the model more stability. I tend to use regular printer paper for smaller models, but if I am making something big, like a Papercraft weapon, then I defiantly use card stock. Another thing that i find helpful is stuffing the model with tissue paper. This give also give the model more stabilty and helps with the gluing later on in the model
Good Luck!
Ocarina1231

SuperBobKing
Member Avatar
Quadruple Ocarinist
What if a model is of a decent size with a lot of large faces, but also has a lot of small details?

The Doctor
Member Avatar
SuperBobKing
18 Oct 2012, 10:55 PM
What if a model is of a decent size with a lot of large faces, but also has a lot of small details?
If you show me the model that you are building, I can recommend which paper.
Ocarina1231

Jafafa Hots
Member Avatar
Old. Just really, really old. Also tired.
I've done a bit of antiques restoration. Not the "strip and refinish" disasters, but making an item look its best without changing the original materials, or doing repairs as non-destructively as possible, restoring degraded early thermoplastics (from the 20's-50s) to their original state. These early plastics start doing nasty things and any you find these days don't look like they were supposed to.

Also I have done massive amounts of historical research - primary research - on hundreds of early US manufacturers. Added to public knowledge, etc. Those days are mostly past now... but it feels like it was a kind of art. People who had been in the field decades were surprised at what I uncovered.

Um, in my teens and early 20s I did some outdoor art installations using various found or made objects. I'd do them at night and finish by morning. Not always with what you might call permission. Used to have photos of them, dunno what happened to them.

Some I did in the woods. In one case I carved a series of clayish hills (all in a row like big humps) next to a pond into a castle-like walkway with a curving "grand staircase" that took you down into a "courtyard" I made in a forested area... made a circle of standing stones and logs (like totems) surrounding it... built a metal bridge over a stream to get there and blazed trails to it from a number of directions. Installed a circle of heavy-duty seating with posts made from those thick yellow wooden road edge guards each sunk 4 feet deep.

Needless to say it became a popular nighttime fire spot. It's long gone now, the farmer sold all the land, there are houses there now.

Anyway that was maybe a kind of art.
Oh, hah... forgot the towers my friend and I used to build, some out of snow, some out of trees, about two stories tall.
One two-story, lashed-trees with trees as cross-slats, a-frame tower... we actually moved. We dug the footings out, and then a bunch of us guys actually carried the thing several hundred yards and "replanted' it. That was HARD.
Edited by Jafafa Hots, 19 Oct 2012, 10:09 AM.

SuperBobKing
Member Avatar
Quadruple Ocarinist
Ocarina1231
19 Oct 2012, 03:16 AM
SuperBobKing
18 Oct 2012, 10:55 PM
If you show me the model that you are building, I can recommend which paper.
Ocarina1231

I haven't even thought of trying to make this, but it is a good example of what I am talking about.
http://myhobbycraft.blogspot.com/search/label/APC

The Doctor
Member Avatar
Thats a hard one....
I would probably use a lighter paper like regular printer paper. Some of the parts would not work well with Card stock
Ocarina1231

Jack Campin
Member Avatar
Opener of Catfood Tins

Art from recycled pianos:

http://www.pianoasart.com/piano-as-art/index.htm

Jack Campin
Member Avatar
Opener of Catfood Tins

Theo Jansen's Beach Beasts:

http://www.strandbeest.com/

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · Artisan Crafts · Next Topic »
Add Reply
  • Pages:

Find us on TwitterFacebook | Read the FAQ