Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

- News Ticker

Donations - Please consider donating to The Ocarina Network to keep us afloat. More detail can be found in this topic.
The Ocarina Network - Serving the ocarina community since April 27th 2008
Welcome to The Ocarina Network, a place for ocarina enthusiasts from all around the globe!

You're currently viewing The Ocarina Network as a guest.

If you join The Ocarina Network, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customising your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. On top of that we have a great number of music scores and backtracks for you to download.

Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Register at The Ocarina Network!

If you're already a member please log into your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
  • Pages:
Dinda / Lanna Ocarinas - Thailand; Etsy shop
Topic Started: 28 Jul 2009, 01:13 PM (56,072 Views)
Ocarinabird
Member Avatar
Pendant Ocarinist x 3
Wollemi Pine
16 May 2015, 05:14 PM
Ocarinabird
16 May 2015, 05:01 PM
Does anyone know if there is a particular reason why there are only ever AC's on the etsy shop?
The other models tend to get bought up quickly.
I guess... Though, I check Etsy every other day or so and I never see them anyways
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Amerred
Member Avatar
Can't play pendants
Well, Dinda doesn't post nearly so often I don't think. And people do tend to buy the non-ACs pretty quickly... Can be within hours, maybe minutes (though in that case it could just be a custom order - he'll tell the buyer in advance when he's putting the ocarina up for sale so they can be there and buy it before anyone else). Aside from that, ACs tend to be the most popular and lucrative model. That's why most of the time plastic ocarinas will be AC (and SC, sometimes) - they've gotta spend a lot on one mold, and ACs happen to be the best choice because they're so... common? Basic? Something along those lines. They're the standard. So it could just be that.

Now that I think about it, I think Wollemi's point was that people buy the non-ACs soon after they're put up. The ACs you see are likely from previous sets, in fact. Partly because ACs are so common, they're not as sought after and are therefore left behind. You see the ACs that people weren't interested in gradually increasing in number because people don't buy them, instead choosing the others. That's why there are always way more ACs than anything else - because there are leftovers. I'd imagine that if you only counted up the brand new ones, there'd be a much smaller disparity.

pandorado100
Member Avatar
Premium Poster
Based on my experience, you have to practically camp out on Dinda's Etsy page to get one of his ocarinas in alternative tunings like D or G. I'm still kicking myself for missing out on the Eb ocarina he had for sale a couple of years ago.

He posts Bb ocarinas for sale fairly often. I actually prefer that over my Dinda AC. Sarawut will make an ocarina for you in the tuning you want if you ask him.

Wollemi Pine
Member Avatar
Triple-Double Ocarinist

A Dinda Bb just showed up.

Wollemi Pine
Member Avatar
Triple-Double Ocarinist

New Dinda ocarinas on Etsy!

WindSong
Member Avatar

So nice!
Thanks for the heads-up.
And here's me... trying to reduce and limit myself to the absolute necessities.
I do love my Dinda double AC. It's one of my necessities. :)

subverse
Pendant Ocarinist x 3
I just grabbed one of those doubles. I have been wanting to try out one of these.

Vendace
Member Avatar
Double Ocarinist
Does Dinda still make Ocs? And do they take custom orders? I'm not really sure where I can contact them

pandorado100
Member Avatar
Premium Poster
Vendace
18 Mar 2016, 06:06 AM
Does Dinda still make Ocs? And do they take custom orders? I'm not really sure where I can contact them
The maker of Dinda Ocarina is Sarawut Bugkhuntod. Here is a link to his Etsy store page. If you click on the Contact Shop Owner button, you will be able to leave a message for him. He doesn't speak or write English but he can use Google Translate so try not to use slang or complicated phrases when you write. https://www.etsy.com/shop/DindaOcarina

You can also send a PM to Sarawut on Facebook but I think it's best to stick with Etsy. https://www.facebook.com/ohmygodda?fref=ts

Vendace
Member Avatar
Double Ocarinist
Thanks pandorado. I'll check into it

Readalie
Pendant Ocarinist x 3
Look what came in the mail last week! I'd been stalking the etsy shop for months waiting for a 12-hole AC with a look that I liked, and I finally, finally managed to catch one (and by the time I was done with the check-out, the only other AC was gone as well!).

I'm in love with it already. I only have an STL DIY and mini soprano to compare it to, but it's a nice bit smaller and lighter than the DIY. The sound is lovely, and the way the breathing scales feels a lot more natural to me than with the DIY (I adore my DIY, though, don't get me wrong!).

The Dinda really surprised me with how easily I was able to reach the high notes with it, which is a really nice feeling to have as a beginner. Moreover, the high notes aren't as loud as with the other ocs I've played, which I'm sure the other people in my building appreciate even more than I do! Onthe downside, I've been having some difficulty getting the hang of the subholes to sound quite right--which I'm blaming more on my own lack of skill than the oc itself. For the most part, this seems like the perfect ocarina for my current skill level, and I'm so happy I managed to snag it!

One other issue I've been having: I'm not the only one in love with the new ocarina. My cat sometimes used to pester me while I practiced, now she comes running every time she hears so much as a note! She likes to try and headbutt the ocarina (or my face, whichever's closer).

Video (recorded via phone, so don't expect decent quality)

Posted Image
Edited by Readalie, 24 Apr 2016, 12:07 AM.

pandorado100
Member Avatar
Premium Poster
That's a nice one. Dinda hasn't been posting that many ocarinas for sale recently so you were lucky to grab one before it went.

Vendace
Member Avatar
Double Ocarinist
They had two sopranos up I should have grabbed one of. Next time for sure.
Edited by Vendace, 24 Apr 2016, 09:40 AM.

Readalie
Pendant Ocarinist x 3
pandorado100

That's a nice one. Dinda hasn't been posting that many ocarinas for sale recently so you were lucky to grab one before it went.
I know, I'm still a bit disbelieving about it (even though it's hanging around my neck right this second). Any idea why he hasn't been making as many lately?

Vendace
24 Apr 2016, 09:40 AM
Ooh, I remember those--they and the double were both still up when I bought mine. Sorry you missed them. :C

I'm still keeping an eye on the shop, even though I'm not planning on buying any others at the moment, so if I see any up I'll be sure to let you know.
Edited by Readalie, 25 Apr 2016, 12:26 AM.

Vendace
Member Avatar
Double Ocarinist
Readalie
25 Apr 2016, 12:22 AM
pandorado100

I know, I'm still a bit disbelieving about it (even though it's hanging around my neck right this second). Any idea why he hasn't been making as many lately?

Vendace
24 Apr 2016, 09:40 AM
Ooh, I remember those--they and the double were both still up when I bought mine. Sorry you missed them. :C

I'm still keeping an eye on the shop, even though I'm not planning on buying any others at the moment, so if I see any up I'll be sure to let you know.

Yeah I saw it but was out of town. I just purchased a takashi double so I was waiting before I bought another till at least when I got back. Oh well I just gotta wait till the next one :)

pandorado100
Member Avatar
Premium Poster
I follow Dinda Ocarina on Facebook and he hasn't been posting that many updates there lately. Perhaps he is busy with other things? I always look forward to seeing photos of his little son, Baby Din although he's not a baby anymore but a fine young toddler. I've watched him grow on FB. :)

I think you can still place custom orders on the Dinda Ocarina Etsy store page. I saw a new video posted by Pat Anderson where he is playing a klui that he ordered from Dinda. It's a inline flute. It sounds really nice. If you have FB, you should be able to view Pat's video. He is playing Ode to Joy. https://www.facebook.com/pat.anderson.142/videos/10207477298705454/
Edited by pandorado100, 25 Apr 2016, 01:03 PM.

Readalie
Pendant Ocarinist x 3
There are five new ocs up at the etsy shop! Three Alto Cs, one Alto Bb, and one Soprano F. Good luck, anyone who wants one!
Edited by Readalie, 31 May 2016, 07:59 PM.

Pat Anderson
Member Avatar
Triple Ocarinist x 2
Sarawut seems to be focusing on his Thai flutes, the kluis, these days. I was his first customer for a klui! Here is a video I made a day or two ago playing the klui. I saw a YouTube Sarawut made and contacted him to order the flute, he does respond both through the Etsy store and messages on his FB page.
Edited by Pat Anderson, 1 Jun 2016, 04:12 PM.

Vendace
Member Avatar
Double Ocarinist
Does anyone know if Sarawut makes ocarinas in a tenor or bass pitch? I was going to message and see what he might charge to custom order one.

Amerred
Member Avatar
Can't play pendants
I have a tenor/alto A from him, so he does make lower-pitched ocarinas. And he seems really flexible in terms of custom work regardless. So... go for it.

Wollemi Pine
Member Avatar
Triple-Double Ocarinist

He does custom orders. Just make sure he reserves it in your name on etsy. Some years ago, I had asked him to make a triple ocarina, his first ever. He made the ocarina and placed it on etsy, and it got bought by someone else.

Amerred
Member Avatar
Can't play pendants
Yeah, the way he does it (or has done it) is that he tells you when he'll post it for sale so that you can be the first one there to buy it.

Vendace
Member Avatar
Double Ocarinist
Wollemi Pine
12 Jun 2016, 06:20 PM
He does custom orders. Just make sure he reserves it in your name on etsy. Some years ago, I had asked him to make a triple ocarina, his first ever. He made the ocarina and placed it on etsy, and it got bought by someone else.
Thanks for the info. Can it actually be reserved, or like Amerred said will he just tell me the time and I have to be on there exactly when?

Amerred
Member Avatar
Can't play pendants
Well, not sure how useful it is since it's a week later, but... the latter has been what I've heard from most people (I've never ordered custom stuff from him before). It's definitely possible that he's changed it and does reservations now, though. Although be aware that it's on Etsy, so anyone can still buy it. The most he can do to reserve it is put in the description that it's for you or perhaps ask the buyer to verify themselves upon purchase. All in all, though, this is probably more of a question to discuss directly with him if you haven't already.

Wollemi Pine
Member Avatar
Triple-Double Ocarinist

I've reserved stuff on Etsy before. You arrange it with the seller and they would put "Reserved for <insert your name>" in the title of the listing.

Vendace
Member Avatar
Double Ocarinist
Well I sent a message asking about the prices of his gemshorn/horn ocarinas. He hasn't replied so I guess we shall see. I was thinking of getting one made in G

Vendace
Member Avatar
Double Ocarinist
So I got a reply back from him, and he only makes them in A. So I am ordering a custom one of those out there, so hopefully that goes well. He is doing a custom design, and said he would let me know if it works.

CanadianLights
Member Avatar
Some band kid playing ocarina.
Oh man! I'm pumped ahah. I just snatched the Alto G Dinda just put on listing. I've never strayed from alternate tunings before, so the G is a first. Here's a link Dinda Ocarina

Looneytunes
Beginner
Did this thread die now that I finally discovered ocarinas and got a Dinda? :c

spoonyspork
Member Avatar
L'il Tooter
Looneytunes
24 Jun 2017, 09:11 PM
Not now that you posted! :)

I've got a bunch, though didn't like my DAC so sent it on to kissing, along with an Eb I never played enough. Also sent my bass and a couple others to someone in payment for sheet music, though I really liked the bass (have other basses so thought it'd be a fair deal).

My *favorite* of his is an AF. I don't play it as much cause I usually need the extra notes on my DAF (ICO not Dinda), but it's just a lovely-sounding ocarina.

Love, LOVE his finishes too! Would love to figure out how to do it someday, though my asking him what it even is has been unsuccessful (I think there's a loss in translation... pretty sure google translate is confusing us with a 'who's on first?' scenario in which I'm trying to ask what kind of finish it is and he's seeing me ask if it's a finish XD)

Which one did you get? One of his AC's, or a funky weird one, or...? :)

jordan.1210
Member Avatar
Transverse Ocarinist x 3
I have an Alto Bb from Dinda and absolutely love it! Most of the other instruments I play are in Bb so it fits right in.

pandorado100
Member Avatar
Premium Poster
spoonyspork
25 Jun 2017, 02:43 AM
Looneytunes
24 Jun 2017, 09:11 PM
Not now that you posted! :)

I've got a bunch, though didn't like my DAC so sent it on to kissing, along with an Eb I never played enough. Also sent my bass and a couple others to someone in payment for sheet music, though I really liked the bass (have other basses so thought it'd be a fair deal).

My *favorite* of his is an AF. I don't play it as much cause I usually need the extra notes on my DAF (ICO not Dinda), but it's just a lovely-sounding ocarina.

Love, LOVE his finishes too! Would love to figure out how to do it someday, though my asking him what it even is has been unsuccessful (I think there's a loss in translation... pretty sure google translate is confusing us with a 'who's on first?' scenario in which I'm trying to ask what kind of finish it is and he's seeing me ask if it's a finish XD)

Which one did you get? One of his AC's, or a funky weird one, or...? :)
Freddy Medina said once that Dinda uses a technique called engobe for most of his ocarinas that have that lovely swirled bitonal pattern. He managed to pry that out of Sarawut despite the language barrier. Since you are a ceramics buff, you would probably know what that means. I always thought he mixed two different colored clays together but Ross and Robert have told me that's not a good idea due to the differences in shrinkage rates.

spoonyspork
Member Avatar
L'il Tooter
Ah! Yes that makes sense, though it's totally different results (as far as feel) that I get. I've attached an example of one I've done with colored engobes :)
Attached to this post:
Attachments: IMG_0623.jpg (69.27 KB)

Siscoe
Beginner
Hi guys,

I was wondering if anyone else in Canada has ordered an ocarina from Dinda. I placed my order at the end of August but I still haven't received it. I was going to give it 3 months before I contacted him as items shipped from Asia can take a while.

Thanks,

Siscoe

Mystic_Ocarina
Member Avatar
Double Ocarinist
Siscoe
20 Oct 2017, 06:57 PM
Hi guys,

I was wondering if anyone else in Canada has ordered an ocarina from Dinda. I placed my order at the end of August but I still haven't received it. I was going to give it 3 months before I contacted him as items shipped from Asia can take a while.

Thanks,

Siscoe
Hi! Did your order got tracking? Or maybe you can ask him directly on facebook page :)

spoonyspork
Member Avatar
L'il Tooter
I ordered one around that time too. Not in Canada, but also still haven't received it. I thought the deadline was 30 days so filed a dispute so I still could, and feel bad cause I had something like 90. I've gotten like 10 ocarinas from him with no issue before now. The tracking number has had it still sitting in Thailand since the first week of September. He's already made me a new one and sent it... Hopefully this one makes it. XD

I'd say to contact him -- it's never taken more than a couple weeks to get to me before this one, and shouldn't take any longer to get to Canada.

I wonder if a bunch of stuff just got misplaced at the Thailand post that day...

Wollemi Pine
Member Avatar
Triple-Double Ocarinist

I'd contact him. I usually received my orders from him within a few weeks.

Mystic_Ocarina
Member Avatar
Double Ocarinist
spoonyspork
21 Oct 2017, 04:55 AM
I ordered one around that time too. Not in Canada, but also still haven't received it. I thought the deadline was 30 days so filed a dispute so I still could, and feel bad cause I had something like 90. I've gotten like 10 ocarinas from him with no issue before now. The tracking number has had it still sitting in Thailand since the first week of September. He's already made me a new one and sent it... Hopefully this one makes it. XD

I'd say to contact him -- it's never taken more than a couple weeks to get to me before this one, and shouldn't take any longer to get to Canada.

I wonder if a bunch of stuff just got misplaced at the Thailand post that day...
I can ask you if anyone of your Dinda Ocarinas got moisture problems? Because all TON members that I asked says it ocarina hight notes dont sound good within a minutes. This is because they are made of Stonewere, a non porous clay :(
Also mines have that problem. Is usually in doubles and Alto C.

spoonyspork
Member Avatar
L'il Tooter
Mystic_Ocarina
21 Oct 2017, 06:29 PM
spoonyspork
21 Oct 2017, 04:55 AM

I can ask you if anyone of your Dinda Ocarinas got moisture problems? Because all TON members that I asked says it ocarina hight notes dont sound good within a minutes. This is because they are made of Stonewere, a non porous clay :(
Also mines have that problem. Is usually in doubles and Alto C.
Only with the double. I love all my others, though my Eb tends to squeak. I actually sent my double to kissing, and he has the same problem. XD

Mystic_Ocarina
Member Avatar
Double Ocarinist
All the doubles have that problem and lot of more of them... I was looking for a perfect double/Triple from Dinda for a lot of time :(

Siscoe
Beginner
Hi guys,

I took your advice and sent a message to Sarawut and said he will make another one to send to me. He also put in an inquiry at the local post office. Hopefully it will turn up somewhere.

Thanks for the advice.

Siscoe

spoonyspork
Member Avatar
L'il Tooter
Siscoe
23 Oct 2017, 02:50 PM
Hi guys,

I took your advice and sent a message to Sarawut and said he will make another one to send to me. He also put in an inquiry at the local post office. Hopefully it will turn up somewhere.

Thanks for the advice.

Siscoe
Check to see if tracking shows it moving again. After sarawat sent me the new one, I checked the first for giggles, and it was in my city XD ... I expect to see it today. It started moving again the day he went to inquire, so I suspect everything taken that day just got forgotten about (it originally made it past the first office, but was 'stuck' at the out bound one).

Now I gotta figure out how to best repay sarawat, cause the other one should be here in a couple days XD

Mystic_Ocarina
Member Avatar
Double Ocarinist
Anyone that have a dinda alto C, double or triple for sale/trade?
Is one of my favourite brands but because my two doubles from dinda have moisture problems I would like to get one tested by a Ton member... Thanks :)

Siscoe
Beginner
Hi folks,

I just wanted to say I received me Ocarina yesterday safe and sound. Sarawut put in a request with the post office. I'm not sure if he made another one or it was the original. Either way I'm happy and it was a good experience. Now I just need some time to play with it :)

Siscoe

Wollemi Pine
Member Avatar
Triple-Double Ocarinist

Does a happy dance for Siscoe! :boogie:

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
« Previous Topic · Asia and Pacific Ocarinas · Next Topic »
Add Reply
  • Pages:

Find us on Twitter Facebook | Read the FAQ