Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

- News Ticker

Donations - Please consider donating to The Ocarina Network to keep us afloat. More detail can be found in this topic. ē
The Ocarina Network - Serving the ocarina community since April 27th 2008
Welcome to The Ocarina Network, a place for ocarina enthusiasts from all around the globe!

You're currently viewing The Ocarina Network as a guest.

If you join The Ocarina Network, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customising your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. On top of that we have a great number of music scores and backtracks for you to download.

Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Register at The Ocarina Network!

If you're already a member please log into your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
  • Pages:
Dinda / Lanna Ocarinas - Thailand; Etsy shop
Topic Started: 28 Jul 2009, 01:13 PM (58,387 Views)
Toratas
Pendant Ocarinist
Alright so was walking down that very busy Sunday Night Market in Chiang Mai (Northern Thailand) and I stumbled across a young lad selling Ocarinas :D
I really did not expect to find them in Thailand and since I was going to Japan afterwards I wasn't even looking but there they were ;)
His English wasn't that good but if I got him right and my memory does not decieve me he told me; He makes them himself and found out about it / practices online (gave him the address to this forum of course).
So I talked to him for a while he showed me a couple of Songs (mostly Zelda related) I played one or two for him and of course wanted to buy one. Sicne I already have an Oc tuned in C I got one of his in F. So eventually he pulled a bigger more ornate one out of his satchel (Obviously he did not want people to see that one ^^) He told me he only made two of them and stopped since they were too much work. So we kept talking and now he really had my attention since I wanted that one ;)
And yea in the end I bought one in F and he simply gave me the other one for free! Well yea I suppose he expected me to haggle a lot (it's what you do in thailand otherwise you get ripped off big time ;) ) But I really enjoyed the hour or so I sat there talking and stuff so I didn't mind paying a little extra (about 6Ä btw)
As far as I can tell they are of pretty good quality and I did a little research online, now that I'm back home and found out that Dinda or Lanna is some kind of Ocarina Group in Thailand.
Found this Youtube Profile (That's not him by the way but the engraving on the mouth piece is the same.

Here are some pictures, oh I got the little pouch from the owner of a guest house in Thailand she was so sweet, she'd cook for us and stuff ^^

Posted Image
The one in F

Posted Image
Um he wasn't so sure about the Key... B maybe oO? sounds nice and mellow.

Posted Image
Both of them + Pouch <3
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Panch
Member Avatar
The Whistlemaker

Wow! I'm in Thailand right now too! I really need to look this guy up! Did he give you a phone number or email? What price did he give you for them?

DeepRed
Member Avatar
Taking a break from Signature requests
Wow those are beautiful ocarinas! He's really talented!
I love the rustic look of the second one, the designs almost look like aboriginal paintings!
The guy should really set up a website!

kumpy
Member Avatar
Inline Ocarinist x 2
I was just in Thailand a few months ago! I spent a few months there traveling! I went to Bangkok and southern areas where the beach was! I wanted to get to Chang Mai but I heard the rock climbing was better in the south. I searched for ocarinas in thailand and actually found a few cheap ones that were not in tune. My girlfriend lives and is from thailand. Are they good quality? Are they worth getting or was it more for the experience?

izza
Member Avatar
Pendant Ocarinist x 3
I might ask my cousin to find one for me as he has a handicraft shop and factory in Chaing-Mai ^^.
or somehow I will go visit him.
Most of ocarina making in Thailand are very cheap and have not in tune.
You are very lucky to have a good quality one.

Toratas
Pendant Ocarinist
Can't find the piece of paper he gave me right now but I'm sure it's arround I'll try to find it :/
I suppose he's around the Night Market (The one that "starts" at one of the main old town gates) every time so you might just want to try your luck ;)
Both of them together were 300 Baht which is, as I said about 6Ä.
Well I'm not really experienced but I'll try to do some recording to give you an impression on the sound.

:edit:
Ah found the piece of paper:
ohmygodda@hotmail.com
(+66)085-0298316
Edited by Toratas, 29 Jul 2009, 05:55 PM.

Jhaemes
Member Avatar
wow

Originally "Dinda Ocarinas - Thailand; Etsy shop" combined topic.

http://www.etsy.com/shop/DINDADA?ref=seller_info

They look pretty good :D
Edited by speckles, 1 Jul 2011, 12:56 PM.

Wire Man
Member Avatar
Wire Sculptor
Jhaemes
8 May 2011, 10:21 PM
Those do look good! I think she uses the marbled clay like I do occasionally.

Poltergeist
Member Avatar
Pink Elephant on Parade

Wire Man
8 May 2011, 10:40 PM
Jhaemes
The ocarinas look gorgeous. But "she" is a guy.

reikokuna
Member Avatar
Black sheep among your daily lurkers
I recently found this maker is now selling some of his ocarinas through Etsy!

Here's a link:

I have emailed him asking how much his ocarinas in Bb would be, and how much shipping would cost. Hopefully I get a reply, since I've really been wanting a Bb!

He makes 12 holes, with Taiwanese subholes :)

---
Oh, and before I forget, here's his youtube channel, with sound samples!

WindSong
Member Avatar

I like the look of these ocarinas. :)

Achint
Member Avatar
Fat Mouse >^_^<

These ocarinas look really nice! And they do sound quite nice and mellow. The sound is quite nice too. Something quite different about it... can't place my finger on it :/

reikokuna
Member Avatar
Poltergeist
8 May 2011, 11:47 PM
Wire Man
8 May 2011, 10:40 PM
Jhaemes
The ocarinas look gorgeous. But "she" is a guy.
8-D ...actually, there are two people who make use of the ohmygodda@hotmail.com email that is used for contacting Dinda ocarinas.

If you ever send them an email, and get a response, the email name that you see, might first sound like a "joke" (especially to westerners and others who are not Thai), but this is actually the name of the main owner of the email, who happens to be a "She".

The guy whose photo you see on the Etsy shop, he is Sarawut (nickname: Da). The email owner, who is a she, her name is Wanna (nickname: Na).

I found this all out while researching about them randomly, and ocarinas in Thailand. :))
...since I've been in correspondence with either Na, or Da (guessing it's the latter) since the start of the week or so.

I saw a picture of them as undergrads (I think, since Da looked so much younger, or at least, had shorter hair)... :shame:

I found that Da is a Sculpture major, and Na is a Print major. Not sure if they're married or anything, but they do use the same email, and attended the same university.

:ninja: (I feel like a stalker! XD)
Edited by reikokuna, 19 May 2011, 10:32 PM.

Jhaemes
Member Avatar
wow

Can't believe their ocarinas haven't sold yet, I'm after the marbled clay effect ocarina.

speckles
Member Avatar
Iíve been hypnotized

Jhaemes
13 Jun 2011, 12:27 AM
Can't believe their ocarinas haven't sold yet, I'm after the marbled clay effect ocarina.
Has anyone bought one of their ocs and received it yet?

Jhaemes
Member Avatar
wow

speckles
13 Jun 2011, 10:12 AM
Jhaemes
13 Jun 2011, 12:27 AM
Has anyone bought one of their ocs and received it yet?
I don't know, it seems they don't have any "feedback", whether that's due to not having sold the ocarinas yet, or whether people have bought them and are still waiting for them.

EDIT: http://www.etsy.com/shop/DINDADA/sold

Seems a few were sold weeks ago. Hopefully to TONians :D
Edited by Jhaemes, 13 Jun 2011, 10:18 AM.

spoonyspork
Member Avatar
L'il Tooter
I just bought THIS one ^.^ (I had extra after selling everything off and buying the MaxRange triple) ... I will give it a through review once it's here!

Saki
Member Avatar
Surprisingly not dead
The Dindadas look very well made and sound pretty good on youtube, and are as cheap as a focalink AC-C. I'll be looking forward to your review, spoony.

Jhaemes
Member Avatar
wow

spoonyspork
16 Jun 2011, 01:36 AM
I just bought THIS one ^.^ (I had extra after selling everything off and buying the MaxRange triple) ... I will give it a through review once it's here!
Awesome, you bought my favourite out of the ones listed :)

speckles
Member Avatar
Iíve been hypnotized

Congratulations, Spoony, it's a beauty! :D

Walden
Member Avatar
An humble ocarina-player.
I like those. Like the shape of turn-of-the-century ocarinas.

Poltergeist
Member Avatar
Pink Elephant on Parade

A real beauty! I hope it is as good as it looks. And I hope there won't be any trouble with the seller or the shipping. I'd really like to get one of these - but only if I've read a good review of ocarina and seller.
Edited by Poltergeist, 16 Jun 2011, 06:02 PM.

spoonyspork
Member Avatar
L'il Tooter
Poltergeist
16 Jun 2011, 06:01 PM
A real beauty! I hope it is as good as it looks. And I hope there won't be any trouble with the seller or the shipping. I'd really like to get one of these - but only if I've read a good review of ocarina and seller.
Well, so far I've had a few updates from the seller 'packing now' and then 'send now' and now have a tracking # which is valid when I put it into the Thailand tracking site! He also sent pics of the post receipt with the date and origin in plain view :)

Also, the Thai post tracking site is the easiest foreign tracking thing I've seen. Someone really put a lot of thought into making sure it could be understood between languages. Nothing to do with the seller of course, but pretty cool anyway.

speckles
Member Avatar
Iíve been hypnotized

Jhaemes
13 Jun 2011, 10:16 AM
I don't know, it seems they don't have any "feedback", whether that's due to not having sold the ocarinas yet, or whether people have bought them and are still waiting for them.
I just checked and they have one "feedback" now. And it's a good one. LINK

Pj221
Member Avatar
Pendant Ocarinist x 4
I'm starting to get that "need to have" urge for a Dindada. I love the finishes and they are very reasonably priced, even after you factor in the shipping. I noticed that they added two new ocs to their store, one in Bb and one in D.

speckles
Member Avatar
Iíve been hypnotized

Pj221
20 Jun 2011, 04:34 AM
I'm starting to get that "need to have" urge for a Dindada.
I'm getting that itch myself. Unfortunately, I owe my sister money, and that has to be paid back first.

Jhaemes
Member Avatar
wow

That Bb is just awesome, just under 30 GBP in total for me.

I'll see if I've got any money left over, need to get a Tenrai and a few other things with my birthday money.

spoonyspork
Member Avatar
L'il Tooter
It's here!!! And I *love it*. New favoritest single chamber oc ever. It's so tiny I thought at first he'd sent a soprano... but nope!

I'll put in a more in depth review later, but for now:

Looks: AWESOME

Sound: Great! It is in tune and is *very* strong. The breath requirements are the easiest of any I've played - soft but not ridiculously so. The very last note squeaks if you blow too hard, and 'too hard' is quite soft.... but that's the only disadvantage I can find.

That's it for now! I'm packing to head to TN for a while so don't have time for a proper sound sample or pics... will post in the reviews section when I can! :)

reikokuna
Member Avatar
Maybe this thread should be combined with the first thread about Dinda ocarinas from 2009?

Link: http://theocarinanetwork.com/topic/6705856/1/#new

I posted on there on May 11th, I didn't see Jhaemes' newly made thread at that time, for some reason, so I was lead into looking for, and finding the first thread about it. o.O

Stephen Bobchin
Member Avatar
Close the World, Open the Next

just ordered an alto c and sop c from him
http://www.etsy.com/transaction/57260032
http://www.etsy.com/transaction/57258641
The ones I bought
Edited by Stephen Bobchin, 2 Sep 2011, 03:08 AM.

Stephen Bobchin
Member Avatar

Didna just updated his stock, has some extremely nice looking ocs in his store now

Jack Campin
Member Avatar
Opener of Catfood Tins

I love the way their cat gets into the pictures.

The video I listened to sounded good too. Added reverb but it did give a good idea of how the instrument would sound in a real performance.

Stephen Bobchin
Member Avatar

well, I have 2 on the way, Sop C and Alto C, so I'll be able to give a review soon

DustyLad
Member Avatar
Double Ocarinist x 4
I look forward to those reviews!

passaggio
Member Avatar
♪♫ Je veux vivre dans ce rÍve qui m'enivre. ♪♫
I really like the marble-chocolate finishes of those ocarinas. :)
Steve, I look forward to your reviews, too!

Stephen Bobchin
Member Avatar

ok, I got them today in the mail. on thing I can tell you for sure, I love the Sop C, but I don't like the alto c too much. I'll explain in depth when I actually get time to write a review + record sound samples.

DustyLad
Member Avatar
Double Ocarinist x 4
Can't wait, i was pretty interested in the AC, i'd love to know what you find wrong with it.

fightingfish18
Beginner
Well I actually bought one from him in the market last night (I'm in Chiang Mai on vacation, I'm actually an expat living in Pattaya.) Not that I'd know anything about Ocarinas, as this is my first one, but I got the C alto from him. The only thing about ordering online. He charges $35 + 12 shipping. I got the same product from him in the market for 370 THB, and that's about $12.. I like the way it sounds though, and I'm having fun learning, and the guy was really nice. If I knew more about Ocarinas, I'd give a more detailed response, but I like it.

Stephen Bobchin
Member Avatar

I won't be doing a review of the Didna ocarina, because I gave it away to a friend of mine.

Jubal
Member Avatar
Tree Hugger - Food is your right

Looks like I just found my next ocarina.

They don't have any tuned to Bb currently, so I'll wait a little bit to see if they get some in. If not I'm going for the Alto C.

EDIT: Gosh, I must be stupid or something. They do have one in stock.
Edited by Jubal, 17 Oct 2011, 04:03 PM.

Stephen Bobchin
Member Avatar

they normally have 3-4 of them in stock

spoonyspork
Member Avatar
L'il Tooter
Sooooo yeah, I never reviewed this either, eh?

Well tonight I had a song in my head. One of *those* songs that just wouldn't leave til I tried to play it. So I whipped out my Dinda and hit record.

Keep in mind I just had it in my head and didn't try to get it perfectly right or even the whole song - just the main melody out of my head. So apologies to my UK friends for butchering the heck out of this XD

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/15770123/Untitled%20%2824%29.wma <-- for those who can play wma for the raw sound, which was much better (at least on my end) than the converted file.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/15770123/Untitled%20%2824%29.mp3 <-- should be able to play on anything that can do mp3

I feel it at least shows this is a pretty decent sounding ocarina. It really is my favourite single-chamber now, of all I have owned and/or sold. It fits perfectly in my hands, is very ergonomic, has very easy breath requirements, sounds strong yet sweet, etc. It's just... really nice. Not much more to say on it. It's worth it. More than worth it. Even MORE than worth it if you're like a poster above and can get it for $12 USD.

Jubal
Member Avatar
Tree Hugger - Food is your right

They've posted an Alto A ocarina with an interesting design.

AG7
Member Avatar
Pendant Ocarinist x 5
Are there any sound examples? If so, where can I find them?
Edited by AG7, 10 Jan 2012, 11:02 PM.

jonathan626jb
Member Avatar
Inline Ocarinist x 3
Those look awsome, but I am saving up to buy a noble alto c, sop. c, and a sop. f.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
ZetaBoards - Free Forum Hosting
Join the millions that use us for their forum communities. Create your own forum today.
Learn More · Sign-up for Free
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · Asia and Pacific Ocarinas · Next Topic »
Add Reply
  • Pages:

Find us on Twitter ē Facebook | Read the FAQ