Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

- News Ticker

Donations - Please consider donating to The Ocarina Network to keep us afloat. More detail can be found in this topic. •
The Ocarina Network - Serving the ocarina community since April 27th 2008
Welcome to The Ocarina Network, a place for ocarina enthusiasts from all around the globe!

You're currently viewing The Ocarina Network as a guest.

If you join The Ocarina Network, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customising your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. On top of that we have a great number of music scores and backtracks for you to download.

Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Register at The Ocarina Network!

If you're already a member please log into your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
  • Pages:
Christoph Hense; Amateur ocarina maker and musician from Germany
Topic Started: 7 May 2011, 11:51 PM (5,518 Views)
Bateleur
Member Avatar
Meh.

I'm glad to see Christoph Hense being discussed. I bought a double from him and received it in early January.

Spoiler: click to toggle

It's essentially a Pacchioni DoppiaP. Mine plays from B4 - A6.

It's a really cute & interesting little ocarina. I had to tinker with the tuning quite a bit to get it how I wanted it, higher breath. It's very similar sounding to Gosselink ocarinas. The mouthpieces & voicings between this and my Gosselink C3 are very close in design. It's easily my most played ocarina since I got it in the mail. I love the sweet, chirpy tone and its great tone balance between the chambers.

I gave him feedback on the ocarina through email. He's continually improving his designs and likes to hear from his customers.
Edited by Bateleur, 27 Jan 2015, 06:46 AM.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

miguel from portugal
Member Avatar
Portuguese ocarinist
I'm very interested in this ocarinas, they seems beautifull and the feedbacks from players are good.
It seems that Christopher launch a webshop:

http://es.dawanda.com/shop/ocarina-studio

Amerred
Member Avatar
Can't play pendants
Anywhere someone could find a sound sample of Hense's stuff?

Bateleur
Member Avatar
Meh.

This should give everyone a good idea of how they sound.
(I also need to note that the bi chords were perfect on arrival but I did extensively retune the ocarina. Those should still be fairly accurate.)

https://soundcloud.com/bateleur5/christoph-hense-doppiap-1

edited: uploaded another sample with an actual song & not just scales.
Edited by Bateleur, 27 Jan 2015, 08:13 PM.

Jubal
Member Avatar
Tree Hugger - Food is your right

I'd love a double of his in Tenor F in the red finish like the Soprano C he has for sale now. Maybe when I have the money to freely make purchases again I'll ask if it's possible.

Bateleur
Member Avatar
Meh.

I think this one's really pretty.

I have too many Alto C's though!!!

Jack Campin
Member Avatar
Opener of Catfood Tins

The bitonal chords in that sample weren't good enough for me to consider using them. (Pacchioni's are only just acceptable, and when I figured out how to arrange a simple fiddle tune with double stops to exploit them, it just seemed like far too much hard work for the effect I got).

Chording is not the reason you'd want an ocarina like that.

Bateleur
Member Avatar
Meh.

I don't use them much myself. There isn't much past a couple of novelty tunes where I actually use them.

E123Timay
Double Ocarinist x 3
I gotta ask bataleur, is the sound sample you showed of your chris hense ocarina, reflective of all his other? I REALLY like the tone of his doubles I am thinking of getting one
(I'm also guessing that he uses the same naming system as gosselink?) soprano being alto, and so forth
Edited by E123Timay, 1 Feb 2015, 07:50 PM.

Bateleur
Member Avatar
Meh.

I don't expect him to have perfectly consistent doubles since he's pretty new at this. He also hand makes each one, opposed to Focalink's/TNG's/Noble's production lines. I think the tone between his ocarinas should be fairly consistent, but the breath slopes and finger hole placement will vary a little bit. After talking with him quite a bit, I highly doubt he's selling any lemons.

E123Timay
Double Ocarinist x 3
I still don't fully understand the pacchioni system. I know that it uses overlap to allow for smoother transitions and is overall a logical design, at the cost of range however. Compared to a regular double, how much range does this lose exactly?

TheZ
Member Avatar
Multichamber Ocarinist
The P goes up to G and the P* goes up to A.

E123Timay
Double Ocarinist x 3
Looks like I will be getting one come next paycheck! Christoph got back to me, hes gonna hold one of his doubles for a few days :) can't wait for it.

Feanolwë
Member Avatar
Spirit of Wisdom
Does anyone know whether he intends to move onto triple within some months / years?

Bateleur
Member Avatar
Meh.

I'm not sure, though if he ever decides to make a Pacchioni style triple with a high D thumb hole, I'll probably buy one immediately!

E123Timay
Double Ocarinist x 3
Just recieved my Hense ocarina today and wow do I love it! Its so different from the usual warm pure tone that my ocarinas carry. This is so chirpy and slightly buzzy and is suprisingly super loud for being a low breath ocarina

Bateleur
Member Avatar
Meh.

Pictures???? I'd love to know which one you ended up with, lol. His finishes are all so different and each have so much personality. Mine looks like a little coral reef fish!

Edit: I'm bad. I just impulse purchased two ocarinas from his web shop. :X
Edited by Bateleur, 19 Mar 2015, 06:13 AM.

E123Timay
Double Ocarinist x 3
haha Ill see if I can get some pics up today! :D I know the impulse is so bad! The level of quality is apparent, that much is for sure! and my color is similar to yours, but with differences. More green on top, and red in the middle. I think the ocarina is the most unique and lovely sounding alto c I have!

E123Timay
Double Ocarinist x 3
Hopefully someone can help here, but no matter what I try, I can't seem to get the last note on the first chamber(when all fingers are off). All I can get is this irritating squeak. I realize its supposed to sound a bit airy, being based on gosselinks, but the squeak is kinda annoying. I try not overblowing either, but then the note sounds weak...I've managed to get a good sound out of it like once. Anything I am doing wrong? I've tried different levels of breath, positioning the ocarina differently, angling my mouth differently, angling the ocarina differently etc

Everett Ocarinas
Member Avatar
aka Kalasinar

E123Timay
21 Mar 2015, 01:40 AM
Hopefully someone can help here, but no matter what I try, I can't seem to get the last note on the first chamber(when all fingers are off). All I can get is this irritating squeak. I realize its supposed to sound a bit airy, being based on gosselinks, but the squeak is kinda annoying. I try not overblowing either, but then the note sounds weak...I've managed to get a good sound out of it like once. Anything I am doing wrong? I've tried different levels of breath, positioning the ocarina differently, angling my mouth differently, angling the ocarina differently etc
Hi Timothee, without seeing it for myself i can only make guesses, but i would suggest getting a bright torch and shining it into the windway. Look down the length of the windway inside to make sure there is absolutely nothing stuck down there. Even if its really small, a bit of clay or whatever can cause all sorts of shenanigans where sound is concerned. Examine the exit closely too (where the windway ends at the voicing area) and make sure again that there is nothing blocking the passage of air. If you do have a blockage, that will surely be the culprit and you will need to dislodge it extremely carefully. A needle tool will do it, maybe a piece of flexible card, just be careful not to damage the exit of the windway. Those little metal sticks that come with Focalink ocarinas are also really useful for such, so long as one isn't heavy handed with them.

Next best thing to do would be to contact Christoph if you're still having trouble. He will know his work best, and he really is such a nice guy. To echo Bat's request, i'd love to see what finish you got on yours too, Christoph makes such beautiful ocarinas! I have one of his older doubles with the bulbous second chamber, it sounds gorgeous…though i think i may have to get one of these new doubles from him too!

@Bat: which ones did you buy??? I want to see pictures! Christoph's work is so pretty and unique! :jumpy:
Edited by Everett Ocarinas, 21 Mar 2015, 05:52 PM.

E123Timay
Double Ocarinist x 3
Thanks Jade! :) to be honest, bataleur offered to take a look at it for me. Apparently the issue is not that something is stuck in there, but rather that its too low breath. His ocarina also apparently had the same issue mine did, so I feel good that its nothing to do with something stuck in there or my own playing XD

Bateleur
Member Avatar
Meh.

These are my two new babies! Once the come in the mail at least. I've been eyeing a particular C3 for some time and noticed that he still had it for sale when I looked again! I also bought one of his cute bird pendants. I'm a sucker for the color blue. :X

On the note of Timay's double, I did have to tune mine higher in breath to have the first chamber high notes sounding properly every time. The voicing is solid but it just needed an adjusted breath requirement. The ocarina originally sounded like my Gosselink with its tuning slide completely inserted.
Edited by Bateleur, 21 Mar 2015, 06:04 PM.

E123Timay
Double Ocarinist x 3
Bateleur
21 Mar 2015, 05:59 PM
These are my two new babies! Once the come in the mail at least. I've been eyeing a particular C3 for some time and noticed that he still had it for sale when I looked again! I also bought one of his cute bird pendants. I'm a sucker for the color blue. :X

On the note of Timay's double, I did have to tune mine higher in breath to have the first chamber high notes sounding properly every time. The voicing is solid but it just needed an adjusted breath requirement. The ocarina originally sounded like my Gosselink with its tuning slide completely inserted.
They look so nice bataleur! I've seen those ones before for certain, hopefully I can get the one I want before it sells :3

Bateleur
Member Avatar
Meh.

I really like this 11-hole I got in the mail. I love the unique look of it. Sounds pretty good too! Touch of airiness on the top end but it's no more than any Gosselink or Menaglio. Strong sub-hole.

Edited by Bateleur, 30 Mar 2015, 07:51 AM.

pandorado100
Member Avatar
Premium Poster
Beautiful! Congrats on your new Hense 11 hole ocarina, Bat. :)

Ocarinadiva
Member Avatar
Play what makes you happy. - Achint

Congrats! It looks and sounds really nice.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
« Previous Topic · European Ocarinas · Next Topic »
Add Reply
  • Pages:

Find us on TwitterFacebook | Read the FAQ