Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

- News Ticker

Donations - Please consider donating to The Ocarina Network to keep us afloat. More detail can be found in this topic. •
The Ocarina Network - Serving the ocarina community since April 27th 2008
Welcome to The Ocarina Network, a place for ocarina enthusiasts from all around the globe!

You're currently viewing The Ocarina Network as a guest.

If you join The Ocarina Network, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customising your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. On top of that we have a great number of music scores and backtracks for you to download.

Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Register at The Ocarina Network!

If you're already a member please log into your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
  • Pages:
Christoph Hense; Amateur ocarina maker and musician from Germany
Topic Started: 7 May 2011, 11:51 PM (5,942 Views)
Krešimir Cindrić

Christoph Hense learned making ocarinas from Olivier Gosselink. I met him in 2010 on the Festival in Germany, but this year at the Festival in Budrio I got to try (and buy) one of his double ocarinas. He is fairly new to ocarina making (it is his hobby) and doesn't sell ocarinas yet, but the prototypes he made so far are excellent.

The ocarina in my possession is a double alto (tenor) F made in the style of Olivier Gosselink (with the glaze done in Gosselink's workshop). The sound of this ocarina is very similar to the sound of Gosselink ocarinas: very crisp, clean, bird-like on the high chamber and beautiful, deep, resonant tone on the low chamber. The balance of chambers is excellent - the two chambers sound as one.

Click to see.

I have a video of Ocarinadiva playing this ocarina. I may upload it later.
Edited by Krešimir Cindrić, 8 May 2011, 12:00 AM.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

crumpy
Member Avatar
very very crumpy
Hmm, interesting. Not a fan of the looks personally, but I would very much like to hear that sound sample.

Lucky guy to be able to learn from Oliver Gossellink. I'm glad he wasn't too worried about giving birth to opposition by teaching his trade to another. This is the way it should be.

Nimue
Double Ocarinist x 3
I don't typically like glazes, but this is kind of pretty. It reminds me of a fish. Perhaps the lovechild of a cunner, a gourami, and a parrot fish.

Achint
Member Avatar
Fat Mouse >^_^<

Yea, agree with Crumpy. Not so keen about it's looks, but definitely very keen to hear what it sounds like!

Ocarinette
Member Avatar
Lone French ocarinist
I'm very jealous, but you already knew that ^^
A double that sounds like a Gosselink, that's good good news!

Yoshi
Member Avatar
Triple Ocarinist
wow that looks great! please upload the sound sample :D

Everett Ocarinas
Member Avatar
aka Kalasinar

The shape and colour is a lot more appealing in person to be honest, and once you hear it...well, let me just say it is one of the most beautiful ocarinas i've ever heard (and played, thankyou Kres for letting me play it!). I really hope Christoph continues to make such fine ocarinas and i hope it pays off for him someday - he's got talent and potential, he could do very well c:

Jubal
Member Avatar
Tree Hugger - Food is your right

Hey everyone,

Christoph now has a new website with some updates, including his new doubles. As a student of Mr. Gosselink, you can expect great things from his ocarinas, sound and looks wise. I've invited him to join TON. Here is the new website:

http://www.ocarina-studio.com/

pandorado100
Member Avatar
Premium Poster
Jade posted some pictures of a Cristoph Hense double she bought at Budrio this year. It's on her Facebook page if anybody's interested.

Wollemi Pine
Member Avatar
Triple-Double Ocarinist

Thanks for the update, Jubal!

miguel from portugal
Member Avatar
Portuguese ocarinist
They are incredible beautiful I had spoken with him and I'm thinking on buying one... I'm just waiting for a sound sample or a video

OcarinaFanatic
Member Avatar
Make music, not notes! >:(
that double is strange looking and only has 3 holes on the second chamber. :(

Jubal
Member Avatar

Don't be fooled, these doubles have a great sound. They are made that way for ease of play.

OcarinaFanatic
Member Avatar
Yeah, but they have less range. :(

Jubal
Member Avatar

I don't think they do actually. I'll look around again, but I think I remember reading that with the fingering it has the same range. Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I'll look again.

miguel from portugal
Member Avatar
Portuguese ocarinist
The higher note is a A

OcarinaFanatic
Member Avatar
That stinks big time. :(

RJ924
Member Avatar
My ocarina has no hair...either

I sent him an email. Miguel, do you know how much he charges for his double?
RJ

Jubal
Member Avatar

I too sent him an email asking about prices. I'll post the price here if it isn't already.

And no, I don't think it stinks that the highest note is A. I have no problem playing single chambers, so a little added range is great, no matter how much. What I have read for sure is that this multichamber is extremely easy to play, and has a gorgeous tone. If I am able to purchase one soon though, I'll give you guys the full details. :)

OcarinaFanatic
Member Avatar
Why? Many songs require more range then that.

Jubal
Member Avatar

You're right. But there's a plethora of songs that fit in the single chamber range too. Unless you're playing classical I doubt you'd get bored. Even if you were, a full range double won't help you much with classical either.

RJ924
Member Avatar

A Pacchioni double P also doesn't have two full octaves, but Maestro Pacchioni doesn't seem to be limited too much by this. ;) It's a matter of what is actually required with the music that you are playing. Many times you only need a few more notes to play a song, and not the full range of a double (or triple). I would like to have this ocarina if it plays as I am reading. I think it would be a wonderful addition to my collection. I really hope it sounds and plays like a Gosselink (some of my favorite ocarinas). I was playing my Gosselink AC earlier today, and kept having people sticking their heads into the room to see which ocarina I was playing. Later, they said it sounded extra good today. It was because of the Gosselink. It is just such an emotional ocarina. I really hope this double has that characteristic (same as my other Gosselinks).
RJ

miguel from portugal
Member Avatar
Portuguese ocarinist
I didn't give me a price just of the ocarina. Ocarina and post fees to Portugal was 120€.

About range.
Most of the pieces for brass instruments are in a range from low G to high A... Except of course high grade solo pieces...
So almost all Arban method for trumpet (that is used for almost all brass) are possible on that range.
Try to see the Venice carnival variations... And try to play it... If you can... Because unfortunately I can't
Edited by miguel from portugal, 12 May 2013, 09:57 AM.

Wollemi Pine
Member Avatar
Triple-Double Ocarinist

He only makes one type of ocarina?

miguel from portugal
Member Avatar
Portuguese ocarinist
By is site it seems so...
It seems bigger but is a alto C
Edited by miguel from portugal, 12 May 2013, 11:02 PM.

RJ924
Member Avatar

I have heard back from Christoph, and have ordered one of his ocarinas. It is in the mail. I won't get it until July 25 when my mail plane brings my packages from the states. Christoph is an apprentice of Olivier Gosselink. I think everyone knows just how much I love all 9 of my Gosselink ocarinas. I believe he is one of the best ocarina makers alive. Every ocarina I have purchased from him has been of excellent quality, and I love the feeling that his ocarinas can produce when being played.

Christoph is only just now beginning to sell his ocarinas. He uses the same square voicing as does Olivier Gosselink, so I am sure the sound is comparable. I am very happy to be getting this ocarina. It is basically a 10 hole ocarina with a second 3-hole chamber on the side. The first chamber plays "C" to "E", and the second chamber plays "E" to "A". Here is the picture of the one that I requested:
Posted Image

I was originally drawn to the following two ocarinas because of their outstanding appearance, but after studying the pictures there was just something special about the one I chose (to me anyway). He still has some of these available.

Posted Image

Posted Image

The price for me with shipping to the USA was $160.00 (US). I thought that was very reasonable. Some people might like a greater range out of a double ocarina, but my experience has shown me (and I play a lot of music out of close to 100 songbooks) that you rarely need more range than what this ocarina offers. I am planning on doing a full review of this ocarina in the future. I believe Christoph's email and website is in a post above if you would like to know more about him or contact him. His English is very good (at least in the emails I have received from him), and he is a very nice man.

RJ

Wollemi Pine
Member Avatar
Triple-Double Ocarinist

Interesting shape. Kind of looks like a pregnant ocarina. :)

CKeene
Member Avatar
Lion Tamer
I have been interested in these for awhile. However, my concern has been how comfortable a seal you can get on the first holes with the globular second chamber. It seems awkward but I'd love to hear from someone or see any clips that might come out from anyone who buys one.

pandorado100
Member Avatar
Premium Poster
@ CKeene

I saw pictures of a Hense double that Jade picked up in Budrio. You could always ask her how it plays. :)

RJ924
Member Avatar

I will do a review of this next month to let everyone know more about this ocarina. I'll try to do a video also.
RJ

RJ924
Member Avatar

Here is the double F I have coming also.
RJ

Posted Image

Jubal
Member Avatar

That looks exquisite. Did you ask him about it or is it on his website? Is there a price difference? Soprano F or Alto/Tenor F?

Sorry for all the questions :D

RJ924
Member Avatar

I did ask him about it. I did not see it on his website. I knew that he made this ocarina in both soprano c (that's an alto c to most of us), and in a tenor F (or AF). He got back with me and told me that this was the best of his tenor F's and offered it to me for at a discount rate since I just purchased the other one. I'd rather not say how much I paid for this one since I wouldn't want to cause him any grief. I really enjoy communicating with Christoph. I think we would get along very well if we lived close. I think the same thing about Olivier Gosselink (his teacher).
RJ

Jubal
Member Avatar

Interestingly enough, Christoph lives extremely close to where I used to live in Germany and where my family still lives. And a trip to Germany is in my near future, so a visit to him would be great if he was okay with it. The trip may not be for another year so I will have to consult with him then.

TheZ
Member Avatar
Multichamber Ocarinist
Christoph speaks English, does he not? Also, does the second chamber have the ability to perform accidentals?

Jubal
Member Avatar

He does speak English very well. I'm not sure about the second chamber.

Jubal
Member Avatar

Christoph Hense has some new ocarinas, including a 5 hole double with Pacchioni fingering.

Can we edit out the "amatuer" ocarina maker part in the title? Now that he has released his products and is selling full time, it might not be the appropriate title.

PappyBadger
Member Avatar
Keeper of Song & Time
I didn't see any pricing or color options. Would I just email him to see what is available or is there another site he uses to sell his ocarinas?

Jubal
Member Avatar

You would email him.

PappyBadger
Member Avatar
Keeper of Song & Time
Thank you Jubal!

Jubal
Member Avatar

Christoph wanted me to pass along the message that he has now opened an online shop.

http://ocarina-studio.dawanda.com/

Like Rotter's store, he isn't able to set up an international cart, so those outside of his region should email him to inquire about an ocarina. Prices for shipping are €15 for Europe and €25 for the US.

CKeene
Member Avatar
Lion Tamer
Thanks for sharing. I'll definitely be ordering some while I'm here in the UK. Easier to work out the shipping.

Amerred
Member Avatar
Can't play pendants
It's great to see that he's moving more towards selling now. And it's always something to see the influence of Gosselink in his work.

Not sure how the subtitle editing will work - it's Kresimir's thread. But maybe the admins can override it (well, yeah, they almost definitely can).

TheZ
Member Avatar
Multichamber Ocarinist
Would it be safe to assume that he uses the same naming system as Gosselink, Soprano C being Alto C?

Jubal
Member Avatar

Yes, he does. I really like that red double of his but I'm not in a position to buy ocarinas right now.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · European Ocarinas · Next Topic »
Add Reply
  • Pages:

Find us on TwitterFacebook | Read the FAQ