Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

- News Ticker

Donations - Please consider donating to The Ocarina Network to keep us afloat. More detail can be found in this topic.
The Ocarina Network - Serving the ocarina community since April 27th 2008
Welcome to The Ocarina Network, a place for ocarina enthusiasts from all around the globe!

You're currently viewing The Ocarina Network as a guest.

If you join The Ocarina Network, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customising your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. On top of that we have a great number of music scores and backtracks for you to download.

Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Register at The Ocarina Network!

If you're already a member please log into your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
  • Pages:
Guide 1: Making Good Recordings.; A guide for newbies.
Topic Started: 30 Apr 2011, 10:18 AM (11,109 Views)
Achint
Member Avatar
Fat Mouse >^_^<

Mark Chan
8 Jan 2014, 04:04 PM
Maybe this has been answered before: Sometimes when I make recordings with my Blue Yeti, it won't pick up the highest notes of my soprano ocarinas. My ears can totally hear it; but playing back the recording it's just silence or air. Any ideas on why this may be?
Sounds like clipping.

Have you got a auto-limiter set on the DAW? (The limiter will force the software to not record signals that go above a certain amplitude) Did you try pulling back the input gain?
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Elven Spellmaker
Member Avatar
== Cirno -- Opinionated Baka ==

My Samson CO1U has quite a bit of background noise, I'm not sure if this is just condenser mics. or the Samson in particular.
I am tempted to get the AT 2020, but I really don't want the same problem to crop up.

It's funny because I remember phoning up a company and asked them if they had one in stock and they told me to avoid it as the drivers are "flaky". I assume this is what they meant.

In the end I got my CO1U from eBay for much less than retail price.

Mark Chan
Member Avatar

Achint
9 Jan 2014, 09:10 AM
Mark Chan
8 Jan 2014, 04:04 PM
Maybe this has been answered before: Sometimes when I make recordings with my Blue Yeti, it won't pick up the highest notes of my soprano ocarinas. My ears can totally hear it; but playing back the recording it's just silence or air. Any ideas on why this may be?
Sounds like clipping.

Have you got a auto-limiter set on the DAW? (The limiter will force the software to not record signals that go above a certain amplitude) Did you try pulling back the input gain?
I don't have a limiter set (or at least I don't think so). I just use Audacity and record with the mic and nothing fancy. I pull back the gain so that it doesn't peak.

With the small amount of time I had before heading out to work today, I tried to reproduce the problem; but no dice.

There's one test that I want to test tonight when I get home: A test to see if I am blowing harder when I play with a backtrack. Maybe my brain is telling me that I can't hear as clearly with headphones on; so I'm subconsciously using more air so I can hear myself; thus making it sound airy. I'll make a recording with headphones on; and one without.

qbradq
Member Avatar
Pendant Ocarinist x 5
Can has sticky?

the_swede
Inline Ocarinist x 3
Hey,

I'm considering to get either the Yeti or the tbone sc450. Any chance that you have any experience with the latter?
Link: http://www.thomann.de/gb/the_tbone_sc450_usb.htm

You can get an sc450 bundled with a pop filter, a stand and a shock mount for around the same price as the Yeti alone. I've also considered Snowball and AT2020 but the Snowball lacks some nice features like headphone monitoring, mute button etc. while the AT2020 seems to lack all types of buttons and knobs.
Oh, here's another link: http://www.tbone-mics.com/en/product/information/details/sc450-usb-mikrofon/
Edited by the_swede, 6 Feb 2014, 06:32 PM.

the_swede
Inline Ocarinist x 3
If anyone is interested, I asked Thomann (probably one of the largest music stores in Europe) what they would recommend as an affordable way to record ocarinas. They recommended the Shure SM57LC or the AKG c1000s MKIV. I guess you would need a XLR-USB interface like Blue Icicle as well.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
« Previous Topic · Articles and Guides · Next Topic »
Add Reply
  • Pages:

Find us on Twitter Facebook | Read the FAQ