Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

- News Ticker

Donations - Please consider donating to The Ocarina Network to keep us afloat. More detail can be found in this topic. •
The Ocarina Network - Serving the ocarina community since April 27th 2008
Welcome to The Ocarina Network, a place for ocarina enthusiasts from all around the globe!

You're currently viewing The Ocarina Network as a guest.

If you join The Ocarina Network, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customising your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. On top of that we have a great number of music scores and backtracks for you to download.

Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Register at The Ocarina Network!

If you're already a member please log into your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
  • Pages:
The Interactive Ocarina Catalog; NEED HELP!
Topic Started: 10 Feb 2011, 02:44 AM (15,693 Views)
Ocarinadiva
Member Avatar
Play what makes you happy. - Achint

A few weeks ago I posted an image my husband made for the STL-F. A couple of Tonians asked that he make something for all brands. Well, this past Friday, he decided to do that and a whole lot more.

http://ocarinacatalog.com/

There are still a lot of ocarinas missing, but there is a Submission Form.

Also, if anyone wants to contribute some design elements, you can email them to feedback@ocarinacatalog.com

:)

Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Cavalier
Member Avatar
Always look on the bright side of life.
I love it!
I already added 3 ocarinas XD
All focalinks...

Sigurthr
Member Avatar
Flutist and Ham Radio Operator. Talarđu Íslenska?

Wow! Fantastic!! Cris, tell the hubby that the community is in his debt!

Ryguy27
Member Avatar
Ryguy27
Cool But it could use more color

Sigurthr
Member Avatar

Ryguy27
10 Feb 2011, 02:58 AM
Cool But it could use more color
It is a reference catalog, not a Children's Magazine.

Dullahan
Member Avatar
Don't you just love soundwalking?

Cris, please tell your husband he's considered a member of the family in ToN! WHAT A GREAT ADDITION! This is gonna be so useful! I'm gonna go add some! :) Thanks to you Cris, and many thanks to your husband!

Cavalier
Member Avatar
Always look on the bright side of life.
He's a keeper XD
I see nothing wrong with colors

Ocarinadiva
Member Avatar

Thanks all, I'll pass the positive feedback along :)

@Ocarina Sensei The photos you submitted were too big. I think they need to be 150x150

reikokuna
Member Avatar
Black sheep among your daily lurkers
This is great, Diva! We are grateful to you and your husband :)
I'll be sure to help add to it soon!

EDIT: Would it be possible to add an option for a different currency, especially if there is no set price for the ocarina in USD at the moment? Or should we just submit an approximate value, based on current exchange rates?

I was thinking of adding some entries for Rotter ocarinas, in case that is allowed.
Edited by reikokuna, 10 Feb 2011, 03:19 AM.

Elven Spellmaker
Member Avatar
== Cirno -- Opinionated Baka ==

I've just submitted the Focalink Forte Triple and Focalink Double SG.

Forgot to tick the multi-chamber for the Forte Triple. >.<

I also noticed the submission form suggests a range of A4-G8 like the STL website says. It should read A4-G7.

EDIT: The images I submitted were 150x150 iirc.

Other than that its a great idea, thank you both. :)

Ocarinadiva
Member Avatar

@ reikokuna Right now it is all in dollars. He hasn't figured out a way to get other currencies to work yet. As far as submitting Rotter ocarinas, by all means submit any brand you want. In the case of Rotter, don't submit any of his photos. My husband is waiting to hear back from him on that.

@ ESM The range has been fixed. 2 DSG ocarinas have been submitted and both of them had large pictures.

Elven Spellmaker
Member Avatar

http://z4.ifrm.com/12405/69/0/f5023051/SGDouble.png

http://z4.ifrm.com/12405/69/0/f5023054/ACTriple-F1Resize.jpg

Updated links. Forgot to resize them.

reikokuna
Member Avatar
@ Diva: If I were to submit my own photos of my Rotter ocarinas though, would that be fine?
Well for now I think I'll wait on that though. Since we have Fenrisfang, and Mr. Rotter himself as a part of the forum, the data may be better available direct from the source :)

Also, regarding photos...

When we submit an entry, but didn't have pictures at the time, is there a way to provide them later on, without having to make another entry?

Ocarinadiva
Member Avatar

@ ESM He took care of them.

@ reikokuna You can submit your own photos. Even if you don't have photos at the time, you can email them to feedback@ocarinacatalog.com.

Ryguy27
Member Avatar
Ryguy27
color or no color it is still a Great site

Philip
Member Avatar
KypSyd

WOW Cris this is really great...make sure you thank your husband from everyone at TON...he is a genius. A simple catalogue has always been lacking and many people have talked about the idea before but no one has ever taken action. Seeing it up and running really hammers home just how much it was needed. Very grateful!

reikokuna
Member Avatar
KypSyd
10 Feb 2011, 05:59 AM
[...] A simple catalogue has always been lacking and many people have talked about the idea before but no one has ever taken action. [...]
Hmm, now that this is mentioned. I actually think there was someone who tried to take action and make something similar.

Wasn't Antoine's Ocarina-comparator supposed to be something like this? I think he probably just didn't know enough to make a site that is as user friendly...and one that enables users to add to the data on their own. He also hasn't been around lately it seems.

--
It's really nice when someone who has talent and abilities, makes use of them to offer great (and free!) service.

I like that the site was launched right away, with a good amount of info just to start out and give a structure and some content...It's nice that there's that option to get involved.

There would be others who would feel that they have to do everything themselves, and though the intention is good...by the time something is completed, the information within might not be as useful as it would have been had it been available much earlier.

So again, I really like how this was set up rather quick, and that Diva's husband did not take it upon himself to personally struggle in providing everything.

Yay for getting the community involved in something! :D
Edited by reikokuna, 10 Feb 2011, 07:10 AM.

DavidRamos
Member Avatar

Wow. This is awesome! Kind regards to the hubby :D

Turbo852
Member Avatar

Wow, this is really cool!

Yes, thank your husband for this wonderful gift! I can see this being extremely useful!

I think we should feature a link to this somewhere easy to find on the forum.

Huhnthis
Member Avatar
Child of the Moon
This is really great. Your husband must be either real good with computers, or have a lot of spare time on his hands!
I'm truly amazed! :D

Everett Ocarinas
Member Avatar
aka Kalasinar

I'm such an idiot, i started submitting Woodsounds but i think i labelled the Soprano G as Alto C :facepalm:

My only feeble excuse is that i am not good with thinking straight in the mornings :shame:

Sorry for the mess up! All the other information is correct, its just that i named it incorrectly :(

When i get the chance, i will take some decent photos of my Woodsound Double Alto C, Woodsound Tenor F and my Woodsound Bass C (when it arrives!) and upload them as well. This is an awesome catalogue Cris, well done to your hubby and many thanks! :D

Edit: It is presumptuous of me to upload without Hyunil's permission, he has become a dear friend of mine, so i have emailed him asking him his opinions on how his work is presented.
Edited by Everett Ocarinas, 14 Feb 2011, 11:02 PM.

mrsunshine44
Inline Ocarinist
This is siiiiick! I submitted the Forte DAC by Focalink. I would suggest you add a section for Holes. like 4, 5, 6, 12, double, triple etc.

Ocarinadiva
Member Avatar

I sent him an email asking about that decision not to use holes.

His response:

Quote:

You know, I thought about hole number but dismissed it pretty quickly. I personally don't care much for the numbering system. Hind makes ocarinas with 12 holes but they don't fall into the normal range people expect 12 hole ocarinas to have. Hole number has become a shorthand to indicate range. You have a 7 hole noble that uses pendant fingering. Style + Tuning + Range covers it.

Also, I'd like to add that the search option works very well, so if multichambers isn't specific enough, you can search "double" or "triple", and it will narrow your search based on the information that is entered for each ocarina, since that information is in the title. You could do a similar search to find all pendants, etc. Number of holes can be misleading, because there are so many different fingering systems now. For example, any 10 hole ocarina with a split pinky hole is technically an 11 hole, though for many people an 11 hole means that there is one subhole to play one subtonic note. A 9 hole can be a transverse ocarina that is missing the left pinky hole for one less high note, or it can have a completely different fingering system like the Honest/Sincere brand ocarinas (which have a double thumb hole).
Edited by Ocarinadiva, 10 Feb 2011, 07:26 PM.

mandrew
Member Avatar
Devout seeker of perfection
What a great refference! This ought to be pinned so all can find it quickly!

Ocarinadiva
Member Avatar

A few new things have been added today :)

1. You can now submit a fingering chart with an ocarina.
2. You can now submit your name with an ocarina. This won't show up on the site but a "thank you" page is being planned to recognize people for their contributions.
3. Menaglio (Kres) and Woodsound (Kal) were added to the catalog!

reikokuna
Member Avatar
Fenrisfang
10 Feb 2011, 04:18 PM
@ reiko and everyone else: It's nice that you want to support the catalogue and add some photos showing ocarinas by Ocarinamusic. However, Hans would like to add his own photos and doesn't want those taken by others to be displayed on that site, because they might lack some quality. So please don't submit any photos of ocarinas made by Hans Rotter. Thank you ;)
:D that's what I figured. The official photos would definitely be better so I wanted to first wait and see...also, I didn't know what price I should put it as, in USD, since that's the only currency allowable in the system at the moment.

I believe Fenris, Mr. Rotter, and the rest of the Ccarinamusic team would be able to take care of providing the information better :)

Ocarinette
Member Avatar
Lone French ocarinist
This is awesome! Thankyou so much both of you!
:)

Pumpkin
Double Ocarinist x 4
Wow, this is so brilliant! It looks really good :)

Bateleur
Member Avatar
Meh.

I goofed up when I was making the entry for the Songbird Dove. :shame:
The range is actually A4 - B5. I really have no idea where the G#5 came from. XD

By the way, will an option for visitors to edit existing ocarina entries be added?
Edited by Bateleur, 11 Feb 2011, 05:57 PM.

RJ924
Member Avatar
My ocarina has no hair...either

Cris,
I just wanted to thank you and your husband for taking the time to do this. This is a great idea, and wonderful help to the ocarina community. Thanks for taking the time to help us all out with this great catalog! :)
Roger

Ocarinadiva
Member Avatar

Thanks for all the positive feedback everyone :D I'll be sure to pass your thanks along!

He sent me an update about what's been accomplished today:

Quote:

Update 11Feb2011:

New Features:

A Contribution Tracker
Updated "Appearance" sort order : Moved Zelda to the top
Updated "Range" sort order : Moved popular choices and "set" to the top.
Updated "Style" sort order : ordered by popularity
Updated "Material" sort order : ordered by popularity

Recent Ocarinas Added:

Songbird:
Dove
Muse
Majora Pendant
Fairy Pendant
OoT Pendant
OoT

Langley :
Micro
Mini
Tenor

Recent Fingering Charts:
Menaglio
Langley
Hind Inlines

Feature Requests/Notes:

Quote:

By the way, will an option for visitors to edit existing ocarina entries be added?

No. There are no plans to open the framework to user edits, though I'll probably invite another community member to help at a much later date. I already have someone in mind. For corrections, please send them to feedback@ocarinacatalog.com.

Other notes:

For now, one of a kind ocarinas don't have a place in the catalog. It is a difficult reality, but right now there is no way to list them and keep the catalog up to date. It sucks and I hate it but I don't have a good solution yet.

lnfra
Double Ocarinist
Cris: Oh thats a great website ;) very fast to access too.

Kres: Aw no wonder i coulden't find a catagory for Pacchioni :(. Was very excited thinking of entering my ocarinas into the website.

Sigurthr
Member Avatar

I'm just glad Hans is participating! It is a shame when a maker rejects inclusion into a wonderful community project, even if out of modesty.

Dear Hans,
Thank you for wanting to participate!

Elven Spellmaker
Member Avatar

Moved all posts relating to Rotter to a new thread located here: http://theocarinanetwork.com/topic/6943161/1/?x=90

Stickied your thread Ocarinadiva, this Catalogue is a good resource and lets hope it gets bigger and bigger. :)

Krešimir Cindrić

Elven Spellmaker
11 Feb 2011, 11:21 AM
I also still don't understand why Pacchioni wouldn't want to be in the catalogue. Either he's being too damn modest or humble or he's planning on retiring soon hence the increase in price and the fact he doesn't want his Ocs. getting a higher profile. :shrug:
I hope I can provide some clarification on this.

M° Pacchioni's response (translated somewhat freely to English by me):

I think that, at least at first glance, I am not interested in being included in this catalogue, being primarily a musician and independent craftsman and researcher (scholar).

I still do not have a stable production line and ultimately I am not interested in creating it - mine is not a commercial product, but a cultural one, a product of my research and I would like not to be confused with practice which is beyond my domain.
I interpret this in this way: Making ocarinas is not Pacchioni's main source of income. He has never been a full-time ocarina maker, but a university professor and a professional musician. The money he makes by selling his ocarinas is used to further fund his research in making and invention (evolution) of ocarinas that follow traditional style of Italian ocarinas as well as history of ocarinas, ocarina music repertoire, educational material for ocarinas, etc...

One can say that Giorgio is an "amateur ocarina maker", which is a funny thing to say, because he knows about ocarinas more than most of the professional ocarina makers, and his inventiveness and quality of his work (but not the quantity and scale of production) would, beyond doubt, put him in the same category with some of the greatest ocarina makers of the past, such as Donati, Mezzetti brothers and Vicinelli...

UPDATE: I heard from M° Pacchioni and he would like to add a few points to make things perfectly clear:

1) It makes no sense to catalog the results of an investigator and researcher, as his results are always moving and not stand to be stuck in a still image, you can not fix an image in constant motion.
2) I feel and I want to be a
- Musician
- Performer and
- The composer who loves this instrument and strives to try to develop quality, can not bear to be listed as a separate trade or business.
3) I ocarinas for several reasons:
a) because I do not find marketing tools that I meet.
b) because they are curious by nature and always want to explore the unexplored
c) because I love music old enough to want me to turn into a musician "old" with all the prerogatives of completeness that characterize
d) something I can not identify it pushes me to do it (maybe this is the main reason).

I hope that I explained to sufficiency Jon and I apologize for not having accepted his kind invitation.

My humble advice is that you could put a section in its catalog, where there would be, for completeness of information, products of non-professional musicians who make their own instruments.

Everett Ocarinas
Member Avatar
aka Kalasinar

I heard back from Hyunil Ko and he has very gladly given permission for his ocarinas to be displayed on the catalogue, indeed, he is actually very excited about the idea and is pleased to have his ocarinas included. He is going to send me a compressed file of all his product photos at some point, so hopefully i will be able to add some more Woodsound ocarinas to the catalogue in due course ^^

Ocarinadiva
Member Avatar

That's great Kal!

I got an update on the catalog and what's changed :

Quote:

Feature updates:

These are the last feature updates that will be added for a while.

Intuitive on-page viewing of fingering charts added. (LightBox)

Added a "share" button so that results can be shared with a URL.

Added Feedback and Contribute navigation.

I just tried out the share button and it is pretty cool.

Transverse Alto/Tenor C ocarinas that cost less than $50.

Sigurthr
Member Avatar

Range is wrong on Mountain Ocarina G's "G5-B6" it is officially F#5-B6, and an experienced person on it can easily get F5-C7 (which is the range I get on it).

Krešimir Cindrić

Indeed, Mountain ocarina in G has one sub-hole, unlike the one in C. Nice catch, Sig! :thumbsup:

EDIT: I informed Jon about it, and he fixed it. Woot! :D
Edited by Krešimir Cindrić, 17 Feb 2011, 10:02 PM.

Sigurthr
Member Avatar

XD Excellent! I love how much Jon (and by proxy, everyone else who has pitched a hand /pun) has dedicated himself to working on this. Simply fantastic!

ubizmo

Sigurthr
17 Feb 2011, 09:39 PM
Range is wrong on Mountain Ocarina G's "G5-B6" it is officially F#5-B6, and an experienced person on it can easily get F5-C7 (which is the range I get on it).
It's really not difficult to go down to E.

However, this raises an interesting issues about the MO C. The Interactive Catalog has its range as C5 to E6. The advertised range, however, is B4 to E6. The MO C has only 9 holes, but the tuning with all holes covered is below C5 by about 30 cents. To play C you must "push" the note up a bit. This, at least, is my experience. To play B, you just ease off a tiny bit and tip the ocarina up a little. The question is: Is B4 really in range or not? I'm inclined to say that it is, since the ocarina is designed to be played in this way.

On the other hand, even though I routinely play up to C7 on the G, and up to F6 on the C, these are not in the design specs of the ocarinas, so I wouldn't list them that way.

Ocarinadiva
Member Avatar

The range for the C MO is listed as B4-E6 now :)

RJ924
Member Avatar
My ocarina has no hair...either

I just looked at the Ocarina Catalog again, and my first thought was, "Wow! Someone has been busy." What a great job. This is a very unique and helpful idea. Thanks to Cris, Jon, and everyone else who has had a hand in this.
Roger

Sigurthr
Member Avatar

@Ubizmo Hehe, yes but I have a hard time getting that low E in tune on the fly in the middle of a phrase. So that note I chalk up to the experts =). I really think C7 and F6 should be in the advertised range, it is just about the easiest thing you can do on a MO when range extension is concerned.

P.s.; any update on the ProRange?

Member Avatar
There will be cake.
This is swell!

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · General Ocarina Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply
  • Pages:

Find us on TwitterFacebook | Read the FAQ