Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

- News Ticker

Donations - Please consider donating to The Ocarina Network to keep us afloat. More detail can be found in this topic. •
The Ocarina Network - Serving the ocarina community since April 27th 2008
Welcome to The Ocarina Network, a place for ocarina enthusiasts from all around the globe!

You're currently viewing The Ocarina Network as a guest.

If you join The Ocarina Network, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customising your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. On top of that we have a great number of music scores and backtracks for you to download.

Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Register at The Ocarina Network!

If you're already a member please log into your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
  • Pages:
Your Homemade Ocarinas; Post 'em here
Topic Started: 23 Jun 2010, 03:05 AM (30,338 Views)
Ace Ocarinas
I will NEVER return to TON.
Here is one I never posted because it took a while to fix this one. It was out of tune and wouldn't make a sound past an octave but I fixed it with skulpy.
Dreamline Ocarina
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Gerald_G
Pendant Ocarinist
Here is one I made from recycled wood. The wood is from an old church bench.

Spoiler: click to toggle
Edited by Gerald_G, 13 Mar 2013, 08:11 AM.

Ace Ocarinas
The top two ocarinas on this page are ones I just finished. I would post pictures on here but my laptop is being realy special and I am to lazy to help it along this tyme.
http://danielocarinas.weebly.com/
Oops wrong link. Here we are. http://danielocarinas.weebly.com/ocarinas-for-sale.html
Edited by Ace Ocarinas, 2 Apr 2013, 02:15 AM.

blubflubify
Member Avatar
Inline Ocarinist x 2
These are the two most recent ocarinas that i have made!
Attached to this post:
Attachments: IMG_3088.jpg (156.07 KB)

Wollemi Pine
Member Avatar
Triple-Double Ocarinist

What is the black one...a whale?

blubflubify
Member Avatar
Inline Ocarinist x 2
Wollemi Pine
22 Apr 2013, 07:29 AM
HAha yep! i made both of those during a ceramic class, we were supposed to make whistles but i decided to go with ocarinas instead! :)

Ace Ocarinas
I have 4 new ocarinas! They are the top 4 posts on this page. http://danielocarinas.weebly.com/ocarinas-for-sale.html

Turtlewalker
Member Avatar
Where words fail, music speaks!
This is my first ever successful 10 hole Italian style fingering ocarina. It has a low breath requirement and it sounds like some of the antique H. Fiehn ocarinas.
I made this about 5 months ago.

This branch ocarina has a interesting tone that sounds similar to Egyptian. It plays 8 notes.
I enjoy playing this!
I made this May 17th of this year.

Ace Ocarinas
Turtlewalker
21 Jun 2013, 01:31 PM
This is my first ever successful 10 hole Italian style fingering ocarina. It has a low breath requirement and it sounds like some of the antique H. Fiehn ocarinas.
I made this about 5 months ago.

This branch ocarina has a interesting tone that sounds similar to Egyptian. It plays 8 notes.
I enjoy playing this!
I made this May 17th of this year.
Ah that is really good for your first working 10-hole ocarina. I know i'm on vacation from ton but I had to compliment you on that. I'd love to hear how it sounds. :)
Oh I didn't even notic the branch ocarina untill now. That looks realy cool. :D
Edited by Ace Ocarinas, 21 Jun 2013, 04:32 PM.

OcarinaFanatic
Member Avatar
Make music, not notes! >:(
Me too. It looks nice and ancient. :)

Jubal
Member Avatar
Tree Hugger - Food is your right

Your homemade ocarina looks a lot like a Teschner, very nice. I like the vintage look it has.

Turtlewalker
Member Avatar
Thank yous for the comments! :)
I am making mostly Pre-Colombian style ocarinas, but I will make an occasional 10 hole.

Here is a recording of the two ocarinas.

10 Hole Ocarina

Branch Ocarina

Turtlewalker
Member Avatar
This is a mini 6 hole ocarina key of D. It play exactly one octave. This is my first well tuned and well fired ocarina.

https://soundcloud.com/turtlewalker-1/mini-ocarina

Ace Ocarinas
Turtlewalker
10 Jul 2013, 01:19 AM
This is a mini 6 hole ocarina key of D. It play exactly one octave. This is my first well tuned and well fired ocarina.

https://soundcloud.com/turtlewalker-1/mini-ocarina
Aw it is cute but exactly one octave? That is 12 notes including sharps and flats. It must be a different type of fingering. I normaly make 6-hole ocarinas with 17 notes. Or is that because it is so small? :/ Oh wait a minute. All the holes are about the same size. Oh ok i'v got it. If all the holes are about the same size 12 notes is the range it should have. Carry on. :o

Ocari
Beginner
Here are all the ocarinas that i made
Posted Image
Posted ImagePosted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Roberto
Member Avatar
OcarinaJapan
Since I was ask for member TheZ I would like to post some (or a lot ) pictures of my Ocarinas I was working on. I have a Thousand Pictures of that with details making it but it's just only for remember my fails and try to do it better nex tine.
I'm focus now trying to get the best sound and shape of only two types of Ocarinas; Traverse 12 Holes AC but before I was making Bass AC, Soprano C, Doubles AC and some Inlines.
It is a hard work and demand a lot of time and effort but it's a really nice way to forget all about outside world for a while and got some great moments thinking about how the next Ocarina will be sound after some little changes.

I hope you like it as much as me.
Here are more pictures.
Attached to this post:
Attachments: IMG_2409.jpg (62.07 KB)
Attachments: IMG_2411.jpg (68.72 KB)
Attachments: IMG_2412.jpg (53.27 KB)
Attachments: IMG_2545.jpg (53.99 KB)
Attachments: IMG_2546.jpg (54.95 KB)
Attachments: IMG_2549.jpg (56.99 KB)
Attachments: IMG_2551.jpg (68.29 KB)
Attachments: IMG_2603.jpg (130.39 KB)
Attachments: IMG_2606.jpg (91.89 KB)
Attachments: IMG_2609.jpg (114.95 KB)
Edited by Roberto, 24 Aug 2013, 05:20 AM.

TheZ
Member Avatar
Multichamber Ocarinist
Wow! They look very nice, Roberto! :thumbsup:

Roberto
Member Avatar
OcarinaJapan
TheZ
24 Aug 2013, 02:08 PM
Wow! They look very nice, Roberto! :thumbsup:
Thank you ! I will post more pictures of many others Ocarinas.
Attached to this post:
Attachments: IMG_1362.jpg (72.29 KB)
Attachments: IMG_1364.jpg (74.53 KB)
Attachments: IMG_1369.jpg (80.56 KB)
Attachments: IMG_1370.jpg (91.98 KB)
Attachments: IMG_1371.jpg (87.21 KB)
Attachments: IMG_1722.jpg (69.57 KB)
Attachments: IMG_1723.jpg (71.92 KB)
Attachments: IMG_2040.jpg (71.04 KB)
Attachments: IMG_2044.jpg (73.46 KB)
Attachments: IMG_2045.jpg (70.47 KB)
Edited by Roberto, 24 Aug 2013, 03:41 PM.

TheZ
Member Avatar
Multichamber Ocarinist
I must say, I'm very impressed by the double. I like it's similar shape to Healing Ocarinas.

Mark Chan
Member Avatar

Beautiful ocarinas Roberto!!

Roberto
Member Avatar
OcarinaJapan
TheZ
24 Aug 2013, 03:44 PM
I must say, I'm very impressed by the double. I like it's similar shape to Healing Ocarinas.
Yes You have a nice eyes ! I really like Healing Ocarinas in Shape and Sound. The sound and resonance is powerful. I visited Mr Matsumoto (healing Ocarina Maker) when I was in Japan and he showme and explained some tips in making his Ocarinas so I'm trying to reproduce one by myself. Many factors affect to the sound especial clay and Wall thickness but I still in that work.
Mark Chan
24 Aug 2013, 03:46 PM
Beautiful ocarinas Roberto!!
Thank You Mark ! maybe I will be abble to produce a nice quality Ocarinas in a within a short time.
Edited by Roberto, 24 Aug 2013, 04:02 PM.

tytoalba
Member Avatar
Inline Ocarinist x 2

Nice ocarinas Roberto!

TheZ
Member Avatar
Multichamber Ocarinist
Roberto
24 Aug 2013, 03:55 PM
TheZ
Yes You have a nice eyes ! I really like Healing Ocarinas in Shape and Sound. The sound and resonance is powerful. I visited Mr Matsumoto (healing Ocarina Maker) when I was in Japan and he showme and explained some tips in making his Ocarinas so I'm trying to reproduce one by myself. Many factors affect to the sound especial clay and Wall thickness but I still in that work.
You know who would be interested in your visit to Toshikazu Matsumoto's? Ross Dubois of Oberon Ocarinas. Matsumoto is a big influence in his work.
Edited by TheZ, 24 Aug 2013, 04:48 PM.

Roberto
Member Avatar
OcarinaJapan
tytoalba
24 Aug 2013, 04:32 PM
Nice ocarinas Roberto!
Thank you so much !
TheZ
24 Aug 2013, 04:47 PM
Roberto
24 Aug 2013, 03:55 PM
TheZ
You know who would be interested in your visit to Toshikazu Matsumoto's? Ross Dubois of Oberon Ocarinas. Matsumoto is a big influence in his work.
I've never though someone in TON was interested in Matsumoto's Ocarinas ! It's a good news to know that someone got influence in making Ocarinas by a japanese Ocarina Maker like me. I was very influenced by Night Ocarina Provence series maker Mr Taniguchi a very big figure in ocarina making in Japan with more tan 40 years making ocarina for different companies like Night Ocarina, YAMAHA Ocarina and others. Now he still making his Ocarinas as the Brand of POPOLO. I knew him long time ago when I was in Japan and was very impressed for the shape and sound of his Works and the great Knowledge he has. He was one inspiration for me. The last Ocarina maker I knew in Japan was Pieta Ocarina maker Mr Maruyama and he makes one of the perfect Ocarinas (in my own opinión) in Japan.
I wil post some sound samples of the Ocarinas I wrote about here.
Edited by Roberto, 24 Aug 2013, 06:28 PM.

Ace Ocarinas
I am trying to make a max-range one handed ocarina. The design I came up with had 13 notes. I want to see if by changing the way the sub holes work and by adding one more hole I can give the ocarina 16 notes rather than 13. I am working on the ocarina now but it is no where near finished. I do however have some sketches I made a while ago of the idea. I will post a picture of the ocarina once it is done drying.
Max Range One Handed Ocarina Sketches

Wollemi Pine
Member Avatar
Triple-Double Ocarinist

This is my first handmade ocarina. What do you think?

Attached to this post:
Attachments: 1st_handmade.jpg (55.47 KB)
Edited by Wollemi Pine, 12 Nov 2013, 06:53 AM.

Jafafa Hots
Member Avatar
Old. Just really, really old. Also tired.
Wollemi Pine
12 Nov 2013, 06:53 AM
This is my first handmade ocarina. What do you think?

That's pretty creepy, making an ocarina out of someone else's hands.

I hope you at least had permission.

TheZ
Member Avatar
Multichamber Ocarinist
This is the ocarina I made yesterday. It's still drying, in the leather-hard state. It is my first ocarina that successfully makes sound. It obviously has some issues with ergonomics (poor hole placement).
+
I have a few questions, though, for future reference.
1) I wasn't able to give it more than 7 holes, which was pushing the limits. I'm able to get the top note to sound, but it takes a very specific breath pressure. How can I add more holes?
2) I've tried low breath ocarinas and disliked them, and this thing is a no-breath ocarina. :C How can I increase the breath requirement?
3) The ocarina sounds very tinny and toyinsh. How can I make it sound more mature?
Edited by TheZ, 5 Jun 2014, 01:07 AM.

Leyhog
Member Avatar
Intermediate?!
These two are one of my first clay ocarinas (I broke one in my bag, and was to ambitious with the other one :3), I made them in my sculpture class >:3

I know I should probably read the the thread for tips, but... it's like four pages com on :noes:
The Green one, I let dry so tuning was a pain :P. The pink I tuned while it was leather-hard so it is much better, it's for my friend :)

Any tips and such?

Claytone
Member Avatar
Double Ocarinist x 2
@Leyhog
They are beautiful!
I like especially the green glaze.
If you use a Dremel, tuning will become less painful.
The eleven students of my intensive course in music have passed their final exams and will soon get their university entrance diploma.
On this occasion I want to give a self-made ocarina to each of them, so I bought some clay, set up an improvised workshop and got started ...
After one experimentally shaped ocarina I returned to Epi Cai's hedgehog-like design. His epic ocarina making video inspired me to build my first ocarina half a year ago.

My mini-workshop
Posted Image
My growing little zoo
Posted Image
Posted Image
Attached to this post:
Attachments: CIMG3947.jpg (73.96 KB)
Attachments: CIMG3953.jpg (76.51 KB)
Attachments: CIMG3958.jpg (68.02 KB)
Edited by Claytone, 14 Jun 2014, 08:32 AM.

Endalion
Member Avatar
Triple Ocarinist x 3
Are you making those with some kind of cup as a mold, Claytone?

Claytone
Member Avatar
Double Ocarinist x 2
@Endalion
The upper part is formed around the half of a globular candy can.

Leyhog
Member Avatar
Intermediate?!
@Claytone

\\Thanks :)

Wow, you give ocarinas/whistles to each of your students *O*, that must be fun but also a lot of work :p. How is it like in an Art school?

Personally I decided that Art wouldn't be my career, but I still have the option (since I have one year left.

Claytone
Member Avatar
Double Ocarinist x 2
@Leyhog
Quote:

How is it like in an Art school?

Personally I decided that Art wouldn't be my career, but I still have the option (since I have one year left).
Although my school has a certain focus on music the intense course is no decision that determines my students' professional career.
From eleven students only one wants to become a professional musician.

Quote:

that must be fun but also a lot of work
The fun prevails by far. :)

Antiscian Cats
Member Avatar
`*-. Mineralogy! .-*`
blubflubify
22 Apr 2013, 02:51 PM
Wollemi Pine
22 Apr 2013, 07:29 AM
HAha yep! i made both of those during a ceramic class, we were supposed to make whistles but i decided to go with ocarinas instead! :)
I'm kinda' late to the party, but... is that an orcarina? O.O

Claytone
Member Avatar
Double Ocarinist x 2
Today my ocarinas left the kiln.
It's a pity that I have to give them away tomorrow! :cry:
Posted Image
Attached to this post:
Attachments: LK_Ocs.jpg (102.06 KB)
Edited by Claytone, 26 Jun 2014, 08:13 PM.

Ace Ocarinas
This is the first ocarina to be made that will be fired in my new kiln. Thought I'd show it off. :)
It is basically a large pendant ocarina but with 11-Hole Inline fingering.

New Ace Ocarina

Nightlark
Member Avatar
Maker

This is the only one I have a picture of on this PC.

Attached to this post:
Attachments: IMG_20140802_WA0000.jpg (89.12 KB)

Leyhog
Member Avatar
Intermediate?!
I added a few 5-hole, brightly glazed ocarinas to my small collection! Unfortunately the pink one fell out of my bag and broke :brokenoc: (it was just a chunk out of the mouth-piece so I glued it back on)

Here are the fronts, and the backs:

Sorry if it's not the best quality, and I have another green glaze one, but I put it away.

Claytone
Member Avatar
Double Ocarinist x 2
They look very nice, Leyhog, good work! :thumbsup:
Edited by Claytone, 24 Apr 2015, 09:11 AM.

geotjakra
Member Avatar
EpiCai Ocarina Maker
If you just want to practice making ocarinas, apparently you can just use a regular Plasticine to make one, I recommend a non-toxic one since you will be putting it to your lips, and also try to play in an air-conditioned room so the Plasticine does not get too soft when it has becomes warm after an extended playing time.

Ocarina made with regular local Plasticine. (Play-doh dried to fast and kinda crumbles easily as well as too soft to hold it's shape, I don't recommend using Play-doh):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L_At-Fgk8WE&feature=em-upload_owner

Ueueteotl
Member Avatar
Aztec Amulet Ocarinist
I made my first two ocarinas tonight after watching Chris Heuer's first few videos on how to make them (the sixth video in the series is where it gets fun: Vid 6).

The one on the left is in G or F# (can't tell since it's dried a little bit), and the right one is in F. They're both just simple 4-hole pendants.

Stuff I learned while making them:
-I made the one on the left first. I should've cleaned out the fipple a bit better, and the tuning is a little whacky, but it makes a more pleasant tone than the one I made on the right.
-I think I made the window a little too large on the right one...it is tuned alright I think, but if you don't get just the right amount of air on a note, it screeches. Also, one of the notes (fa) almost sounds like 2 notes at once, even when you do hit it right. I'll try to put something on YouTube or maybe a sound file so you guys can maybe give me your thoughts on why it does that and how to avoid it in the future.
-The left one has a lanyard hole in the bottom, but it won't stand up. I made the lanyard hole in the right one just under and behind the mouthpiece and I like it a lot better...you can stand it up.
-I could tell these were going to be a little bit skinny for me to hold right like a normal pendant, so I offset the finger holes a bit...I like it this way.

I'm going to try to make a few more tomorrow...I want to play with the voicings a little more on them. I want one shaped and tuned like the right one, but with the voicing of the left one :) If I can get one to sound right with the four holes, I'll spend the time tuning an extra hole or two in the back.

I'm going to let them dry through the week, then I want to fire them. I have a kiln I use for lampwork with glass, and I think it'll go up to 1700 F...unfortunately I know little to nothing about firing clay, and I don't want to blow up stuff in a perfectly good glass kiln and screw up my element :brokenoc: :brokenoc: :brokenoc:

I've been trying to read up on pit-firing and even bought a little $20 hibachi grill to test out with a few pieces. I made some little saucer-shaped test items to try this way. If it's not raining tomorrow, I might try those and see how it goes before attempting it with ocarinas.

If anyone has any tips on pit firing ocs, I'd love to hear them :grin: :grin: :grin:
Attached to this post:
Attachments: 20160610_233238.jpg (150.8 KB)
Edited by Ueueteotl, 11 Jun 2016, 06:12 AM.

Ueueteotl
Member Avatar
Aztec Amulet Ocarinist
Finally got around to firing the 2 ocs from my last post, along with another similar one I made later. I did it in a 14" barbecue pit in cherry wood chips and charcoal. The pic below is the only one I had immersed directly in the coals from the onset after warming up the greenware a bit - the other two were in a tin can with some holes poked in the side for a few hours before I immersed them and appear to be much more completely black.

Best I can tell digging around in the coals, everything I put in there appears to have survived! I have a few sacrificial pieces, some with a little sand mixed in (I was worried my Texas Blackjack clay might not handle the thermal shock that well), so I'm going to bust them open later and see what the cross section of the fired clay looks like.

I really like the black finish the charcoal put on it, and once I gently rinsed off the ashes, it doesn't even have a charcoal-y aftertaste like I thought it might!
Posted Image

Ok...I was pleasantly mistaken! The 2 ocs I protected with a tin can for part of the firing turned out to have WAY cooler coloration than the one buried in coals the whole time from my last post. Take a peek:
Posted Image

As an added bonus, I got to stay up playing with fire until like 4 in the morning. Totally worth my wife complaining to me about crawling into bed smelling like a smokestack! I can't believe you can fire stuff this pretty for like ~$30 in supplies, including the hibachi grill!! I also can't believe all my pieces survived...I need to break open one of the sacrificial pinch pots to see what they look like on the inside. Maybe after lunch :3

FIRE PIT:::::
Posted Image
Attached to this post:
Attachments: oc1.jpg (194.18 KB)
Edited by Ueueteotl, 26 Jun 2016, 07:36 PM.

pyr
Member Avatar
Beginner
Hello everyone, here on this picture is every of my attempts of making an ocarina, from my first fails to the lasts successfully working. They are all made with self-hardening clay
The oldest is the one the top-left corner and the last is on the bottom.
The two first red wasn't working like I was expect, the third attempt was working, but I drop it and it broke :brokenoc: , I have try to fix it as you can see. That why I put strings on every ocarina I made next, like this I am sure to not drop any other ocarina.
The rest work perfectly ;)
The big one is an ocarina of time replica.
They are still need some painting and gloss.

Photo
Edited by pyr, 22 Jul 2017, 12:58 AM.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
« Previous Topic · Ocarina Making · Next Topic »
Add Reply
  • Pages:

Find us on TwitterFacebook | Read the FAQ