Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

- News Ticker

Donations - Please consider donating to The Ocarina Network to keep us afloat. More detail can be found in this topic. •
The Ocarina Network - Serving the ocarina community since April 27th 2008
Welcome to The Ocarina Network, a place for ocarina enthusiasts from all around the globe!

You're currently viewing The Ocarina Network as a guest.

If you join The Ocarina Network, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customising your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. On top of that we have a great number of music scores and backtracks for you to download.

Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Register at The Ocarina Network!

If you're already a member please log into your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
  • Pages:
Your Homemade Ocarinas; Post 'em here
Topic Started: 23 Jun 2010, 03:05 AM (30,281 Views)
Member Avatar
There will be cake.
Hey all! Post any and all pics of ocarinas that you made from scratch! Here are MINE Sound samples are also welcomed!
Edited by 511100, 24 Jun 2010, 09:32 PM.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Adam
Triple Ocarinist x 4
. . .
Edited by Adam, 28 Jun 2016, 05:38 AM.

Member Avatar
There will be cake.
Wow! How did you make that decor? That is a good looking one! And the double looks pro!
Edited by 511100, 24 Jun 2010, 09:32 PM.

David F.
Will make ocarinas for food!

the ocarina in my avatar is one i made u can see the bigger version here
Spoiler: click to toggle

Adam
Triple Ocarinist x 4
. . .

Member Avatar
There will be cake.
No one else makes ocarinas???

David F.

Adam
25 Jun 2010, 09:22 AM
Thats a beautiful oc david, how did you fire it??

C ya
Adam
sorry for the late reply Adam but i bisque fired this ocarina then i did my own interpretation of a straw firing, i did 3 at a time and this was the best out of the three.

Adam
Triple Ocarinist x 4
. . .

Member Avatar
There will be cake.
GRRRRR! That was me growling at you.

Wire Man
Member Avatar
Wire Sculptor
Here's my most recent one. It's not done yet.

Spoiler tags added to image wider or longer than 600 pixels. Larger images stretch thw page.
Edited by speckles, 30 Sep 2010, 11:45 PM.

Member Avatar
There will be cake.
OK that is KOOL!

Dullahan
Member Avatar
Don't you just love soundwalking?

Wow! Nice Squid Oc!! It is a 10 Hole right? And what key is it in? Or is it just tuned with itself?

Nice Work!

Wire Man
Member Avatar
Wire Sculptor
Thanks! I was playing around with the idea for 4 years before I was able to build it. Yes, it's a 10 hole. It's tuned to C harmonic minor in a reverse fingering pattern. Far from traditional.

Member Avatar
There will be cake.
That is cool. Share more too!

Wire Man
Member Avatar
Wire Sculptor
Thanks! I'll have more to share once they're made, plus a ceramic vuvuzela in the form of a deep-sea gulper eel.

Member Avatar
There will be cake.
A gulper eel? I have seen those and am picturing the ocarina right now. Seems like it would be scary/creepy to play!

SecondSound
Member Avatar
The Sound of the Wind
I don't have a cam, but I have made a couple.

The don't seem to work though... :facepalm: :pendant:

tytoalba
Member Avatar
Inline Ocarinist x 2

Dear guys, so it was that about eight months ago I was infected by the fever building ocarinas and these are the first (not always nice to see) results.

Goudy Stout

tytoalba those are REALLY NICE. They all look really tidied up and i could imagine you selling these for a reasonable price, i'd love to see some more ocarinas you make sometime.

Heres my latest double AG ocarina (13 hole base)

Here are my three multi-chambered ones in my spoiler (the double AG wasn't sanded then so it looks really messy :( )

Anto
Member Avatar
TheOcarinaComparator coming soon ^_^
@ tytoalba :: Your ocarinas are very nice looking =D I like that they are 10 holes, better for the global tone of the ocarina =D Do you someday intend to sell them ?
@adam :: Your double Alto G is really nice looking =D dude, I can't wait for you to sell your ocarinas, seriously xD they really look awesome =D can we expect a sound sample of it ??
Edited by Anto, 19 Sep 2010, 12:57 AM.

Goudy Stout

AntoLeNice
19 Sep 2010, 12:56 AM
@adam :: Your double Alto G is really nice looking =D dude, I can't wait for you to sell your ocarinas, seriously xD they really look awesome =D can we expect a sound sample of it ??
Around next week when i have the time. Its the last week of this school term so we have all these tests and stuff to do so i dont have much time :) One thing about the AG is that because it has 13 holes, the chamber divide is MASSIVE, this kinda turns me away from having large range ocarinas with pretty poor sound quality (it has a strong tone though). Ill be trying to make a focalink forte triple ocarina replica in the holidays. Ive always loved the shape and i though that it would be pretty cool to have :) The one thing im also trying to do is have the overblow notes on the third chamber, so that might be a bit of an issue!

Wire Man
Member Avatar
Wire Sculptor
Those look amazing, Ty! I like the stoney texture a few of them have.

I just finished a soprano G tonight! Well, the body is done, the sculptural parts still have to be added. The higher notes are a little difficult.

speckles
Member Avatar
I’ve been hypnotized

tytoalba, your ocs are great! How do they sound?

@ Adam - As usual, beautiful work. :thumbsup:

tytoalba
Member Avatar
Inline Ocarinist x 2

Goudy Stout
19 Sep 2010, 12:55 AM
tytoalba those are REALLY NICE. They all look really tidied up and i could imagine you selling these for a reasonable price, i'd love to see some more ocarinas you make sometime.

Heres my latest double AG ocarina (13 hole base)

Here are my three multi-chambered ones in my spoiler (the double AG wasn't sanded then so it looks really messy :( )

Congratulations to the multi will be needed so much work!
I personally am still focused on moncamera to standardize construction methods, types and experiments to improve the efficiency of high tones.

AntoLeNice
19 Sep 2010, 12:56 AM
@ tytoalba :: Your ocarinas are very nice looking =D I like that they are 10 holes, better for the global tone of the ocarina =D Do you someday intend to sell them ?

Hi AntoLeNice
At present I sent to the oven and in a week I will withdraw, dopodicchč should monitor the volume reduction and the consequent change of tone.
Eventually many will surely be at peace with oneself and must still be coated with some waterproofing paint or some substance.
If you are interested in will show you which may later be found.
speckles
19 Sep 2010, 07:08 AM
tytoalba, your ocs are great! How do they sound?

@ Adam - As usual, beautiful work. :thumbsup:
Hi Speckles
You have a little patience because the sounds are not very organized.
For now I have the usual movie on Youtube don the notes compared to two of them
Ocarina test
Edited by tytoalba, 19 Sep 2010, 10:29 AM.

speckles
Member Avatar
I’ve been hypnotized

tytoalba
19 Sep 2010, 10:11 AM
For now I have the usual movie on Youtube don the notes compared to two of them
Ocarina test
Yours have the best sound of the lot.

Off topic: What brand is your tuner? The screen is very easy to read.

Wire Man
Member Avatar
Wire Sculptor
Personally, I like the way the last one sounds. I would like to know what type of tuner that is too. The one I'm currently using is a little...... not so good.

tytoalba
Member Avatar
Inline Ocarinist x 2

The Korg tuner is brand, model LCA 120

Wire Man
Member Avatar
Wire Sculptor
17 Sep 2010, 08:22 PM
A gulper eel? I have seen those and am picturing the ocarina right now. Seems like it would be scary/creepy to play!
Well, a lot of my artwork is based off of shock value. This current project isn't an ocarina, but more of a horn. I might shape the new porcelain ocarina into an eel, or something similar.

Those Korg tuners are pricey! They're some of the best in the business though.

Member Avatar
There will be cake.
Cool. Keep in touch. I'd like to see them!

Goudy Stout

Just leaving this here :ninja:

BTW, this is the one i made today :B

(It took around 5 hours)
Edited by Goudy Stout, 28 Sep 2010, 10:35 AM.

Krešimir Cindrić

Not bad, Goudy. Not bad at all :D In fact, you're getting very good at making multichamber ocarina. :thumbsup:

The next thing you may want to consider is compactifying the right part of the ocarina, where higher chambers are, so that the chambers are more narrow and finger holes of different chambers closer together (not finger holes of the same chamber, they are spaced nicely). This would allow much easier and faster chamber transitions. Of course, this is just nitpicking, but you're ready for it ;)
Edited by Krešimir Cindrić, 28 Sep 2010, 12:14 PM.

Goudy Stout

Thanks :) Since i have the sound pretty much covered, i really need to start working on the aesthetics and ergonomics of triple ocarinas. This probably will be my last triple for this year, but ill attempt a double sometime soon :)

After i read your post, i got the ocarina up to play a scale. The second chamber went completely airy and out of tune. The ocarina has started to crack a lot (first time burnishing :O ) and i think a crack appeared inside one of the chamber walls. Ill be taking this ocarina apart and fixing it tomorrow, i really hope this ocarina doesnt go to waste :(
I cracked it in half to sort out the problem (yes i took pics :3 ). Before i even took the halves apart i knew the problem. Some of the slip had dried before i put the halves together, and some areas were 'slip-less'. I cleaned up the insides (smooth = nicer tone) and am going to spray them a couple of times so tomorrow morning i can join the halves together without worrying about them being too dry (thanks to specks for the advice that im going to use :) ). Ive actually never felt this good about cracking an ocarina in half. It opened like one of those plastic toys that open, the emotion cant be explained in words :) . Next time i know to put more slip on (This is actually an issue as it has happened before, around 3 times!)

Anyways, less talk, more action.
Edited by Goudy Stout, 28 Sep 2010, 12:53 PM.

Member Avatar
There will be cake.
It looks really good! Better than I could have! I'm learning how to make one. I just don't know how to make the second chamber in the right key. But I can tune a 12 hole just fine. If you have any tips, let me know! :D

David F.

Goudy Stout
28 Sep 2010, 07:42 AM
Just leaving this here :ninja:

BTW, this is the one i made today :B

(It took around 5 hours)
thats some great work Adam! u never disappoint! :thumbsup:

Goudy Stout

Lol thanks guys. This ocarina is so not photogenic! It looks better in real life, so ill take some more angle pictures of it (once i join the halves together again :giggle: ). To rejoin leather hard or greenware pieces, i believe you have to make them moist so that the slip doesnt get its moisture sucked out too fast and then cracks. Anyways, because ive moistened this ocarina up a little, i just pushed the first chamber into shape XP just to make it look a little better!

Also, it overblows up to high A :jumpy:

Quote:

It looks really good! Better than I could have! I'm learning how to make one. I just don't know how to make the second chamber in the right key. But I can tune a 12 hole just fine. If you have any tips, let me know!
Im going to upload a picture of the halves i took, that should show you about the right size to get the second chamber to (compared to first). One thing while making a second chamber you have to remember is that the first note it should produce (before you put holes into it) should be a B or A. See that hole at the end of the second chamber? Thats a tuning hole, that makes me able to change the pitch of the first note (and timbre, of course this comes later :) ) so that it can go from a D to E and still sound in tune.

Thanks guys!

Edit: Ok! All fixed :) Chamber 1 and 3 are clean, but chamber 2 get's a little airy up top, so ill be focusing on fixing this from now on. Thanks guys again :D
Edited by Goudy Stout, 29 Sep 2010, 12:05 AM.

Dullahan
Member Avatar
Don't you just love soundwalking?

Wow!! Incredible work Adam!! As always!! But I need sound samples on ALL of your multi-chambered Ocs!!! :D

Goudy Stout

Dullahan
29 Sep 2010, 01:52 AM
Wow!! Incredible work Adam!! As always!! But I need sound samples on ALL of your multi-chambered Ocs!!! :D
I can get them on my latest two (double AG and this triple AC) but my previous double and triple are currently being fired at the ceramic shop, so i dont think ill be able to take sound-samples 'till i get them back!

Member Avatar
There will be cake.
Goudy Stout
28 Sep 2010, 10:47 PM
Im going to upload a picture of the halves i took, that should show you about the right size to get the second chamber to (compared to first). One thing while making a second chamber you have to remember is that the first note it should produce (before you put holes into it) should be a B or A. See that hole at the end of the second chamber? Thats a tuning hole, that makes me able to change the pitch of the first note (and timbre, of course this comes later :) ) so that it can go from a D to E and still sound in tune.
OK, Thanks! That actually helps a lot because I wouldn't know where to start!
Question: Do you sell or are you going to sell? That would be cool to have a real double or triple ocarina! C:

Goudy Stout

30 Sep 2010, 04:38 PM
Question: Do you sell or are you going to sell? That would be cool to have a real double or triple ocarina! C:
Im not selling yet :( But yes, i am planning to sell sometime in the future! I'm currently just trying to get to the level that i can successfully make any ocarina I want, because right now i am not there :(

The picture of the halves is the last one in my triple topic. I think many people skip the topic due to the abnormally large post :D I do post long when i have a lotto talk about :shame:

Member Avatar
There will be cake.
I got my ocarinas fired finally! Here is a soprano ocarina (don't know what key it's in, but the notes aren't flat or or sharp.) The tip of it broke and I fixed it, but I fixed it at school and there was red clay mixed in D:< . My SOITW (Smallest Ocarina In The World), and my Mini 5 Hole Sweet Potato Ocarina.
*UPDATE* My Bass homemade one sounds electric! I will post sound samples later. I made it like last year. Why isn't this pinned anymore?
Attached to this post:
Attachments: Soprano_12_H.jpg (2.4 MB)
Attachments: Soprano_12_H_Back.jpg (2.4 MB)
Attachments: Smallest_Oc_in_the_world.jpg (2.4 MB)
Attachments: Pendant_Sweeet_Potato.jpg (2.4 MB)
Edited by 511100, 19 Oct 2010, 11:13 PM.

kokiri
Member Avatar
Pendant Ocarinist
Hi everyone, your ocarinas look great!

I'm still a beginner and can't get it tuned right, but here are mine:
This one was my first one, and the thread about it is here: http://theocarinanetwork.com/topic/6774637/1/#new

And this is my second one (that I just cooked) modeled after Saria's ocarina:
Posted Image
It's made out of Laguna ovencraft clay because I don't have access to a kiln..it smells weird
Maybe it's toxic... :X

dwent
Member Avatar
Transverse Ocarinist x 3
kokiri
23 Oct 2010, 11:56 PM

It's made out of Laguna ovencraft clay because I don't have access to a kiln..it smells weird
Maybe it's toxic... :X
haha made me lol at work! :rofl:

i really like the look of this clay. it looks like a mix between stone and wood. the design is really neat too. i like this one.

I made my first out of Laguna's air-dry clay. it was terra cotta coloured, but dried a dark brown colour. it was all lumpy and not nice to look at. i don't have any pictures or sound samples of it though, so don't ask XP , i ended up giving it to my friend that showed me green verdugo's site. i have since made the change to wood as i also don't have access to a kiln.
Edited by dwent, 24 Oct 2010, 07:14 PM.

Member Avatar
There will be cake.
Wow, that looks awesome! Looks kinda old and stuff (thats a good thing). The one in the LoZ game is supposed to be old too. :thumbsup:

Everett Ocarinas
Member Avatar
aka Kalasinar

kokiri
23 Oct 2010, 11:56 PM
And this is my second one (that I just cooked) modeled after Saria's ocarina:
Posted Image
I love the rustic look of that Fairy ocarina, Kokiri, really stunning work - i prefer this over all Fairy ocarina replicas to date! Bravo! :thumbsup:
Edited by Everett Ocarinas, 26 Oct 2010, 05:23 PM.

kokiri
Member Avatar
Pendant Ocarinist
dwent

I made my first out of Laguna's air-dry clay. it was terra cotta coloured, but dried a dark brown colour. it was all lumpy and not nice to look at. i don't have any pictures or sound samples of it though, so don't ask , i ended up giving it to my friend that showed me green verdugo's site. i have since made the change to wood as i also don't have access to a kiln.

Was your air-dry clay the same kind as the one I used? I really wanted to try wood but thought I should practice more with clay first. Can you show us the wooden ocarinas you made?

Wow, that looks awesome! Looks kinda old and stuff (thats a good thing). The one in the LoZ game is supposed to be old too.

Thanks! It's old-looking mostly by accident...it was lumpy so I smoothed out the shape by scraping the drying surface

Kalasinar

I love the rustic look of that Fairy ocarina, Kokiri, really stunning work - i prefer this over all Fairy ocarina replicas to date! Bravo!

Wow thanks! Now if only the ocarina played the proper notes... :shame:

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
ZetaBoards - Free Forum Hosting
ZetaBoards gives you all the tools to create a successful discussion community.
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · Ocarina Making · Next Topic »
Add Reply
  • Pages:

Find us on TwitterFacebook | Read the FAQ