Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

- News Ticker

Donations - Please consider donating to The Ocarina Network to keep us afloat. More detail can be found in this topic. • Updates - The 2013 TONs of FUN Christmas Contest!
The Ocarina Network - Serving the ocarina community since April 27th 2008
Welcome to The Ocarina Network, a place for ocarina enthusiasts from all around the globe!

You're currently viewing The Ocarina Network as a guest.

If you join The Ocarina Network, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. On top of that we have a great number of music scores and backtracks for you to download.

Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Register at The Ocarina Network!

If you're already a member please log into your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Can I silence the volume of an ocarina?
Topic Started: 12 May 2010, 10:31 AM (1,685 Views)
reaper84
Beginner
Hello!

Since my neighbours live just one wall away from me, I cannot play around the clock. So I am curious if anyone knows or has heard of a technique to silence the volume of an ocarina. I wouldn't care if the sound quality would suffer, aslong as I can keep practicing in the late hours at least to some extend. I play 12 hole :ocarina: tenor by the way. :)
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Krešimir Cindrić

I'm afraid there is no simple solution to that.

Karl from Mountain Ocarinas experimented with a box in which you put your ocarina and blow into a tube which is connected to the ocarina.

Here is a video of the OcBox.

Also, Karl made a practice booth from a plastic trash can: a video of the Ocarina Booth.

I think a better solution would be to get a quiet ocarina for practice. The Muse from Songbird is pretty quiet and it has a deep sound. There are also many other quiet ocarinas.
Edited by Krešimir Cindrić, 12 May 2010, 11:02 AM.

kissing
Member Avatar
tyrannical dictator

Yeah, sure you can:

Spoiler: click to toggle

Crowler
Member Avatar
emergency medical hologram
Not the best solutions, but you can silence your ocarina by covering the fipple, or, you could make a popping noise, by... Well, quite hard, blunt tonguing. The 'popping' sound should be quite quiet, and while you're not playing as you usually would, you can perform the fingerings, while still being able to hear if a note is wrong.

reaper84
Beginner
Thanks for your helpful input! :)

@kcindric
Although the OcBox seems very excessive and clunky, it does seem like an appropriate solution. Actually I am quite supprised, why no major ocarina retailer/producer offers something similar. I could easily imagine a more streamline version of it. Maybe I'll eventually build one my own.

@Crowler
Covering the fipple won't work for my ocarina, but the the popping-noise-trick sounds very promising. I will definitly try it later today!
Edited by reaper84, 12 May 2010, 01:44 PM.

Philip
Member Avatar
KypSyd

When I started playing I had a major problem. I would work 3 nights a week at a supermarket and get home at 11:30 on those nights

I started playing on a plastic ocarina and had an issue with playing as everyone was sleeping by the time I got home.

One day at work they were giving away gift bags with a womans magazine. Problem was we received the bags too late and the offer had expired. My manager told staff we could get as many bags as we like because they were going to throw them away

Long story short, inside these bags was a scotch tape gift wrapping packet. Its the same product as this link:

http://www.scotchbrand.com/wps/portal/3M/en_US/ScotchBrand/Scotch/Products/ProductCatalog/?PC_7_RJH9U52300LM30I87QR3ES18H7_nid=7JGW21D1FPgsTF1RRQ4PQRgl7KW19N50VGbl

but it came in a pack and the tape was already pre-cut to around 5cm (2 inches for the americans reading this)

It was PERFECT. I would use it to cover the sound hole completely and it wouldnt affect my playing. One piece lasted about 3 weeks. I could still "hear" the notes but it just sounded like blowing against a wall. Each note gave a different blowing sound so it was still enjoyable to play.

Once I got my ceramic ocarinas though, I had to come up with something different! I wasnt about to put adhesives on the back as I treat the ocs like gold lol

So now what I do is blow on top of the mouthpiece, missing it completely. You will find that by playing it at the correct angle, you will still get different blowing sounds for every note!

Sorry for the long answer but I hope it helps. If you have a plastic oc, just cover the sound hole at the back. If its a ceramic oc, blow on top of the mouthpiece

OcLover
Member Avatar
Triple Ocarinist
Yes, there is a way to silence the ocarina. Use a piece of tape to partially cover the voice (sound) hole. I fold over each end of the tape so it doesn't stick and is easy to pull off. Don't press the tape down into the voicing area, just around the edge. Anyway, see the picture, it will make sense to you. You might need to experiment a little by covering more or less of the voicing area. This will lower the volume of your ocarina. I've tested this using a decibel meter and it cuts the volume in half or lower especially the higher pitches, where the neighbors would be more likely to complain.

Posted Image

Edit: I was getting my picture uploaded and preparing my answer, but it seems KypSyd has sort of the same idea as mine and beat me in posting to this thread.
Edited by OcLover, 13 May 2010, 12:30 AM.

alejandro
Member Avatar
Alejandrooo Ale-Alejaaandrooo
if you have a mountain ocarina, you can try the silencer linked in my signature. it doesn't actually silence it, just reduces the sound a lot.

reaper84
Beginner
I'll try the scotch-tape-trick tomorrow. I am curious about how my poor ocarina sounds after this treatment.

Thanks a lot for your input! :)
Edited by reaper84, 16 May 2010, 08:22 PM.

Sherb
Member Avatar
Nyanyanyanyanya

what i do, is blow into a different part of the oc. (see spoiler below)
As long as the air hits the soundhole, you will get nothing but an airy sound.
But thats good. if you listen as you make the fingerings, you can hear the tune... but in INCREDIBLE airiness.
Higher notes are harder to acheive

where to blow

Taboo
Member Avatar
Moderate
Oh yeah theres a really easy way to doing this. Theres a few. There blowing as soft into the ocarina as you can and it'll quiet down, but this depends on the type of oc you got. Try. finger without blowing into the oc and just have the music playing allong in your head. Finally, if u have like a small rig or something, cover up the sound hole on the back of the ocarina and play nothing will come out unless your blowing really hard. I say the best way would be to finger and not blow theres no sound and u still get some practice. Hope I was some help.

J0hnnyH4ck3r
Member Avatar
Time-Travelling Kamikaze
Whenever I play the ocarina my neighbors don't like how loud the ocarina is. When that happens, I stick a straw in the mouth piece.

Picture of my "silencer"
Edited by J0hnnyH4ck3r, 17 May 2010, 07:27 AM.

Faolan
Member Avatar
Triple Ocarinist
@j0hnnyh4ck3r:
That's not such a good idea actually. You could scratch the wind way or even damage the fipple unintentionally. Just because the straw is plastic doesn't mean you can't do some damage. I never put anything harder than a q-tip in my windway (to clean it).

kissing
Member Avatar
tyrannical dictator

Straw should should be ok.
Some ocarina makers recommend polishing the airways with thick paper with some friction.

tomg
Member Avatar
The bicycling ocarinist.
kissing
17 May 2010, 08:38 AM
Straw should should be ok.
Some ocarina makers recommend polishing the airways with thick paper with some friction.
I would not stick a straw in the windway.

There are some differences between a plastic straw and folded paper. First the straw is harder than paper, second the end of the straw has an edge which the paper doesn't really have. Third the paper makes contact with most of the windway while a straw only, depending on how much the straw is "flattened" to fit, contacts a small area. The net result is that the straw is much likely to make a scratch in the windway while the paper polishes it more or less equally.

Pumpkin
Double Ocarinist x 4
I just wanted to say that this is all very useful. When I first read this topic I was like "No you can't, Duh, it's an ocarina not a saxophone or something". But thankfully I was wrong ;)

vincentmrl
Member Avatar
Pendant Ocarinist
this is useful indeed, now I can finally play my ocarina at 2pm and study it, I never have time otherwise because I study piano too, I had to mess a lot with the tape but I achieved the "silencing". I love how this tape never stops getting sticky even after it gets wet a lot.

Gyzyn
Member Avatar
Triple Ocarinist x 3
Hi Vincent! Nice to see you here. All hail Klonoa, the king of video games!

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
« Previous Topic · Question and Answer · Next Topic »
Add Reply

Find us on TwitterFacebook | Read the FAQ