Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

- News Ticker

Donations - Please consider donating to The Ocarina Network to keep us afloat. More detail can be found in this topic.
The Ocarina Network - Serving the ocarina community since April 27th 2008
Welcome to The Ocarina Network, a place for ocarina enthusiasts from all around the globe!

You're currently viewing The Ocarina Network as a guest.

If you join The Ocarina Network, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customising your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. On top of that we have a great number of music scores and backtracks for you to download.

Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Register at The Ocarina Network!

If you're already a member please log into your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Mountain Ocarinas; Quality durable inline ocarinas
Topic Started: 20 Nov 2009, 04:02 PM (40,471 Views)
lnfra
Double Ocarinist
I think this one is nicest :) and cheerful looking

Dosent it remind u of a watermelon? :P
Attached to this post:
Attachments: G_2341_RjJ9.jpg (19.46 KB)
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

lnfra
Double Ocarinist
I bought this Oc from a nice flute maker from chiff and flipple forum. The seller informed me that this is a old type G mountain ocarina. It don't look like the new ones on the website with 10 holes. The fingering looks more like those 9 hole C ocarina but on a G Oc. The sound rather clear I like it but seems very hard to hit the high C D E. Maybe I am doing it wrong. For these type of Oc are you supposed to blow harder or softer on the high notes? Hope someone can advise me.

(Hi in case anyone wonders, yes I still love my Pacchioni triple Oc it's just that I don't think I'll carry that baby out in my pocket and risk dropping it ! *gasp* I would really cry if that happened... :cry: )
Attached to this post:
Attachments: photo_1.jpg (126.84 KB)
Edited by lnfra, 26 Feb 2011, 07:16 PM.

lnfra
Double Ocarinist
Hi Sigurthr,

Ah yes silly me. I think u have identified the problem. I just scanned through the fingering chart and assumed since it looks so similar to the transverse (except no left pinky hole), then everything else is the same.

lnfra
Double Ocarinist
Hi Ubizmo,

Thanks for the tip!, I realized part of the problem was that i didnt hold the oc at the right angle. The other reason was that after a short period of playing there is condensation at the mouth piece because i was in a cold room. This somehow made it hard for me to hit high notes.

Also its very funny that you say this oc is softer then the newer models. Because i felt its already much louder then my focalink. LOL. I feel afraid to play it at night.
Edited by lnfra, 6 Mar 2011, 05:24 PM.

lnfra
Double Ocarinist
@Reiko Thanks for your suggestions! Yes i'm from Singapore. Its a humid and warm weather here almost all year round (But in Nov - Dec it tends to get cold, rainy and humid.)

Because of the warm weather we tend to have air conditioning in the buildings and homes (instead of heating hehe). So sometimes when playing ocarina in a room with aircon, it easily gets condensation :(. I noticed it on my clay ocs, but even more so on wooden ocs. Not so sure what to do except turn off the aircon? LOL.

@Sigurthr Hmm yes besides having less one hole (as compared to the current G model), it seems to be missing the poly liner. I remember watching a mountain oc video once where the maker Karl mentioned that they introduced the poly liner to make their ocs more resistant to moisture and also to have more accurate voicing.

As he is quite a perfectionist, in the past there was a bottleneck in the manufacturing as he had to manually check and file the labium of evey oc to ensure the best sound, after they changed to the liner he no longer had to do this.

BTW talk about mountain ocarinas, i believe they just updated their website to a new look :) !

http://www.mountainsocarina.com/

lnfra
Double Ocarinist
@Kalasinar Actually i was considering an portable oc for outdoors, when i found out about the mountain ocarinas I was interested in getting one, but i already missed your sale of the white warmstone C :(

Not able to afford one of those new hardwoods or warmstones, but still intent on getting a mountain oc (not the poly one coz it looks like a remote), i combed the forums and managed to find this mountain oc going for second hand. Maybe its a blessing in disguise because i didnt expect it to look that good either.

lnfra
Double Ocarinist
@ubizmo Hi!

Quote:

On the old model, the R1 tone hole is positioned close to the voicing, so that low B can be played by slightly shading the sound hole with the right index finger.

I did not know that :P and here i was trying to bend over (literally) or lower the breath among other things to try and get low B.

Goodness! i never knew he still has to check the poly ocarinas by hand. Mountain ocarina is really his labour of love isent it? When i saw his videos online talking about his ocarinas, its really infectious his enthusiasm.

I am not sure what wood my is made of, but it has a slight wooden smell so i believe it isent dymond wood.

lnfra
Double Ocarinist
@ubizmo Hmm if i measure the top of the ocarina (the side where it has many finger holes) its 9cm. The bottom part is 7.2cm. The height from the top and bottom is 2cm.

lnfra
Double Ocarinist
@Ubizmo

Well regarding squeezing the fingers, *roflol* i dont have a problem coz of my thin fingers. Finally i find an oc where having thin fingers is an advantage. (Normally it isent the case and i sometimes cannot cover the large holes on an asian ocarina.

About the right thumb hole being closer to the mouthpiece then the left...well this is my first mountain ocarina, also first inline, so i cant seem to feel anything weird. I suppose I may get irritated if i am used to the old layout and get a new model someday. (which I will ! those warmstones look so lovely)

About the high notes, you are absolutely right! Its not only the breath pressure, even if the angle is slightly off it dosent sound. But when it does sound its a very clear pure sound, that i have never heard from my other ocs. Until i get condensation that is :P

lnfra
Double Ocarinist
@DBX oh congratulations on your new ocs :) I like the G too, but more because of its smaller size. The C mountain oc is a bit large especially if wearing it on the neck.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
« Previous Topic · America Continent Ocarinas · Next Topic »
Add Reply

Find us on Twitter Facebook | Read the FAQ