Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

- News Ticker

Donations - Please consider donating to The Ocarina Network to keep us afloat. More detail can be found in this topic.
The Ocarina Network - Serving the ocarina community since April 27th 2008
Welcome to The Ocarina Network, a place for ocarina enthusiasts from all around the globe!

You're currently viewing The Ocarina Network as a guest.

If you join The Ocarina Network, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customising your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. On top of that we have a great number of music scores and backtracks for you to download.

Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Register at The Ocarina Network!

If you're already a member please log into your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Mountain Ocarinas; Quality durable inline ocarinas
Topic Started: 20 Nov 2009, 04:02 PM (38,380 Views)
Jack Campin
Member Avatar
Opener of Catfood Tins

Very practical instrument but I would never have bought it if I'd known about the backwards thumbholes, nor will I buy another one or recommend one to anybody else unless that misfeature gets changed. It's not just inconsistent with other ocarinas, it's inconsistent with all other woodwind instruments - the left thumb is always the one that gets most of the action. Since I play dozens of other woodwinds I don't need one with a gratuitously weird feature like this.

We've already got one ocarina fingering design with crazy ergonomics in the Langley, we don't need another.

The thumbholes are also weirdly stepped, due to the two-shell construction. I found it difficult to close them accurately. So I filled in the "step" with epoxy, to form a smooth rounded rim. Works much better now.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Jack Campin
Member Avatar
Opener of Catfood Tins

Hard to describe. Maybe I'll see if my camera can get close enough to show it. I mixed up a tiny amount of epoxy and applied it (about the volume of a match-head) with the point of a cocktail stick, wiping it around so the whole surface of the "step" was coated. Smoothed it around. This was deliberately not quite enough to finish the job - I left it for a day, pressing the epoxy into shape as it firmed up. Next day I applied another coat, again shaping it as it hardened. Third day I did the final touch-up with another droplet. This is such a time-consuming and delicate process it would never be economically viable to do it in the factory. The result is a profile like a quadrant of a circle, level with the surface of the ocarina at the top and flush with the vertical surface of the inner hole inside.

Would probably be a useful training exercise for a dentist.

Jack Campin
Member Avatar
Opener of Catfood Tins

Scottish music by and large works better than Irish - most Irish tunes have evolved to fit the extended range of the flute or whistle, whereas Scottish music often uses the 9-note G-up-to-A range of the Highland pipes, or goes one tone above that. I didn't include any Highland pipe tunes because there are about 20,000 of them!

Mountain Ocarinas' own books have a pretty good selection.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
« Previous Topic · America Continent Ocarinas · Next Topic »
Add Reply

Find us on Twitter Facebook | Read the FAQ