Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

- News Ticker

Donations - Please consider donating to The Ocarina Network to keep us afloat. More detail can be found in this topic.
The Ocarina Network - Serving the ocarina community since April 27th 2008
Welcome to The Ocarina Network, a place for ocarina enthusiasts from all around the globe!

You're currently viewing The Ocarina Network as a guest.

If you join The Ocarina Network, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customising your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. On top of that we have a great number of music scores and backtracks for you to download.

Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Register at The Ocarina Network!

If you're already a member please log into your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Mountain Ocarinas; Quality durable inline ocarinas
Topic Started: 20 Nov 2009, 04:02 PM (36,203 Views)
RJ924
Member Avatar
My ocarina has no hair...either

I just got my MO warmstone G yesterday. It is absolutely beautiful in appearance. I like the heavier feel of it also (although it is very light). Mountain Ocarinas were my first ocarinas, and I have had the poly g and c for some time now. I like both of them, and play them almost daily. I quickly pulled the warmstone out of it's box and started playing it. I didn't like the tone, and thought it sounded very airy throughout it's range. I also thought the higher notes seemed "tighter" (if that makes any sense). Anyway, I was initially disappointed with it. I decided that I was going to learn the nuances of this new MO, so I began playing it a lot. I know it has only been a day, but I can say that I don't know why I thought it was difficult to play or sounded badly at first, because I now think it sounds great! My only fear now is that I might lose the cool pouch that came with it. Long live Mountain Ocarinas! :)
Roger
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

RJ924
Member Avatar

ubizmo
20 Aug 2010, 03:37 PM
Roger Jewell
19 Aug 2010, 02:59 AM
.........Like the poly MO, the warmstone (and other models) must be played assertively. It's very natural, however, when you first pick up a brand new instrument, to play it tentatively. That's why you were initially disappointed. The MO, more than some other ocarinas, sounds pretty bad when played tentatively. The low notes, which are meant to be as loud as the other notes, will go hopelessly flat, and the other notes will sound "dirty". After playing it a while, you corrected your breath pressure and got the sound you were looking for.

Ubizmo
Ubizmo, That is exactly what happened. It's obvious you have a solid understanding of MO's.
Roger

RJ924
Member Avatar

I just ordered a new hardwood G Mountain Ocarina. I've been meaning to get a set of Karl's hardwood ocarinas for some time now. I would have also ordered a hardwood C, but they are sold out at the moment. Karl has been very good to us down here. Several years ago, he gave me a tremendous deal on a bunch of poly ocarinas and lesson books so that I could teach our teenagers and children music with his ocarinas. I was able to give everyone that participated their own ocarina, then the work began.

It has been a joy to be involved in this project, and I am thankful for Karl's help. I was just playing tonight (before church) with my 12 year old son, and if he was the only person who learned (which he isn't), tonight's experience would have been worth it all. It was priceless...really. It sounded pretty good too.

I have a set of warmstone ocarinas that I am going to pass on to someone, and I wanted to get a hardwood set for myself. I think everyone should have a set of Mountain Ocarinas. They have one of the best guarantees ever, are highly portable, loud enough to be heard with other instruments and have a beautiful and unique sound. I will always support Karl and Mountain Ocarinas. They are a company whose standard for every instrument is "excellence". Well, that's my opinion anyway.

Roger
Edited by RJ924, 17 Mar 2011, 05:03 AM.

RJ924
Member Avatar

I received three ocarinas today. One of them was a Mountain Ocarina in the key of G. It is made from Rosewood with a strip of indigo. This thing is absolutely beautiful! I am so happy with it's appearance. I know that all of the MO ocarinas sound very close to one another, but this definitely sounds better than my warmstone or my poly. It's not a huge difference, but I can hear a difference. Now, I want a Rosewood/Indigo C to have a matching set.
Roger

RJ924
Member Avatar

My Mountain Ocarinas sound so good in our church building. There is just the right amount of reverb (echo) in that building to really make these ocarinas sing. I don't know how many times someone has stopped by the open door of the church as I was practicing, and comment on the beautiful sound. The lady living above our church has a maid that has repeatedly told me how much she looks forward to those days that I am there early practicing.

Like my Menaglio, however, they don't sound well in a sterile environment. It's not that they sound bad in that environment, but that is not where they shine. I was traveling through the Smokey Mountains (away from anything modern) for about 3 hours a few months ago. We had to stop a couple of times to.......well, we had to stop a couple of times along the way. When we did, I would pull out my MO and start playing towards the valleys. The echo that came back in some of those areas was amazing. I wish I had taken some pictures.

Anyway, I normally play these at church, and I played quite a bit this afternoon when nobody was there. I really enjoyed it, and just thought I'd let ya'll know.

RJ

RJ924
Member Avatar

I also like the Celtic music on this ocarina. It will play slow pieces beautifully, but I prefer to play lively music with this ocarina. It just seems to fit it very well.

RJ924
Member Avatar

I will get a new pro-line ocarina when it comes out, and am looking forward to the email telling that they are ready for sale. I hope he has a large initial run, because I think they will sell quickly.
Roger

RJ924
Member Avatar

I believe they are the same. You should email Karl Ahrens to be sure though.
RJ

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
« Previous Topic · America Continent Ocarinas · Next Topic »
Add Reply

Find us on Twitter Facebook | Read the FAQ