Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

- News Ticker

Donations - Please consider donating to The Ocarina Network to keep us afloat. More detail can be found in this topic. Ľ
The Ocarina Network - Serving the ocarina community since April 27th 2008
Welcome to The Ocarina Network, a place for ocarina enthusiasts from all around the globe!

You're currently viewing The Ocarina Network as a guest.

If you join The Ocarina Network, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customising your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. On top of that we have a great number of music scores and backtracks for you to download.

Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Register at The Ocarina Network!

If you're already a member please log into your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Mountain Ocarinas; Quality durable inline ocarinas
Topic Started: 20 Nov 2009, 04:02 PM (39,262 Views)
Sigurthr
Member Avatar
Flutist and Ham Radio Operator. Talar­u ═slenska?

I just ordered a Poly C! I just want an Oc I can take everywhere, and I mean EVERYWHERE. I'll have to learn inline fingering, but hey cant be that hard right?

I made a fall/crush/vibration/shock proof case for my Songbird 5-hole OoT, but it is heavy as hell, Lol. Cuts down the portability a ton.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Sigurthr
Member Avatar

The thing I love most about my MOs (besides the ease of linear inline fingering) is the overtones and undertones it produces. My Mo Poly G is airy on the high notes, but, I use it as my on-the-go Oc so I don't really care. Playing an oc is 50% liking the sound and 50% enjoying the physicality of playing.

Having those harmonics in the mix can add depth to a melody line instead of it sounding thin or flat.

Sigurthr
Member Avatar

Corian is a material that once molded has to be shaped and then polished mechanically, any scratches deeper than a few hundreth's of an inch would be difficult to remove, thus surface flaws.

Sigurthr
Member Avatar

Hardwoods just came in stock! About 10 Gs and 5 Cs.

Sigurthr
Member Avatar

That was probably my (now Gabe's) Vampire Poly G. I ordered it special from Karl. He had more back then too.

Sigurthr
Member Avatar

it does look like a remote lol. The old ones were worse, they were legos!

Sigurthr
Member Avatar

I want a hardwood but I want one that really looks like wood; no fancy colors! Lol. Damn me for being picky. In fact I think you have one of the older hardwoods that looks like real wood, Ubi, don't you?

Sigurthr
Member Avatar

I know they ARE real wood, I just meant that I prefer the ones that LOOK like it. I fully realize the reason they are dymondwood, and I agree! But I wish they didn't come in those colors, or mixed colors. I guess I want a Mo Hardwood Dymondwood that looks like Hind made it, if that makes any sense (matched grain lines, similar grain patterns, one monochromatic color scheme).

Yeah that strip, I hate it lol, sorry. Last I saw they had some green, blue, and purple hardwoods, ick! I would love ones that look like nameable hardwoods like Grenadilla, Kingwood, Cocobolo, or even simple woods like Maple and Cherry.

Sigurthr
Member Avatar

That first one you linked is exactly the type I am interested in.

Too bad it isn't in stock in a C version. As soon as I am able to buy more Ocarinas, if that one is still up I think I'm going to have to buy it before it is gone! lol.
Edited by Sigurthr, 9 Aug 2010, 01:04 AM.

Sigurthr
Member Avatar

Yep, I've always referred to Ubi as our MO expert.

Sigurthr
Member Avatar

Yup, just ask for more!

About the airyness: if you don't have a fingering chart remember to not cover L4 (left hand pinky hole)!!! L4 is the "subhole".

MOs are pretty much even breath type ones, but Ubizmo and I play them as type twos in order to achieve extended range. The airyness will indeed go away when you get used to the breath. A lot of times it is from having L4 covered all the time (which makes it hard to play on pitch) or from underblowing because of perceived volume (voicing is on top so it sounds much louder to the player than other ocarinas, which causes the player to compensate by underblowing).

Also, right thumb before left!

Sigurthr
Member Avatar

New Hardwood G's in stock.. check out the best one avialable!:

Spoiler: click to toggle

Sigurthr
Member Avatar

Haha yes it does! Black finger holes even look like seeds!

Sigurthr
Member Avatar

Mountains use a reversed thumb hole order, so to play D lift your right thumb instead of your left. If you do not reverse the thumb holes the tuning will be very very far off for the high notes.

You can either play MOs as nearly-even breath ocarinas or as rising breath, depending on your individual skill with ear training. Rising breath affords more range at the cost of more complex fingerings.

Plus, who knows if the older ones perform exactly like the current ones, but the thumb hole fingering should be the same.

Sigurthr
Member Avatar

The wood MO uses is resin impregnated and behaves more like plastic than wood. It is completely unaffected by temperature, moisture, and nearly unbreakable.

Infra that is a BEAUTY, it appears to not have a poly liner unlike the new ones. That has a wooden labium and all the finger holes are wood drilled! I'd wager the windway is wood as well!

Sigurthr
Member Avatar

The hardwood MOs really are fantastic, especially when you are experienced with MOs already, you really get to appreciate it.

Karl really is a great guy as well. I've had several phone calls with him and he is always a pleasure to work with.

Now, if only he can make some headway with the ProRange....

Sigurthr
Member Avatar

I remember a time when Ubizmo had avatars, both here and on C&F. I still remember those sandals.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
« Previous Topic · America Continent Ocarinas · Next Topic »
Add Reply

Find us on Twitter Ľ Facebook | Read the FAQ