Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

- News Ticker

Donations - Please consider donating to The Ocarina Network to keep us afloat. More detail can be found in this topic.
The Ocarina Network - Serving the ocarina community since April 27th 2008
Welcome to The Ocarina Network, a place for ocarina enthusiasts from all around the globe!

You're currently viewing The Ocarina Network as a guest.

If you join The Ocarina Network, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customising your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. On top of that we have a great number of music scores and backtracks for you to download.

Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Register at The Ocarina Network!

If you're already a member please log into your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
  • Pages:
Mountain Ocarinas; Quality durable inline ocarinas
Topic Started: 20 Nov 2009, 04:02 PM (36,332 Views)
jordan.1210
Member Avatar
Transverse Ocarinist x 3
Thanks for sharing that information! I can't wait to see what the final product looks like!
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Shinobinlove
Member Avatar
Music Ninja
Does anyone have an actual image of the CODA yet?

pandorado100
Member Avatar
Premium Poster
Congratulations to Karl and Susan for all their hard work into making CODA a reality. I hope it is a huge success.

Kitten Forest
Member Avatar
Double Ocarinist x 2
Daniel
11 Nov 2016, 01:21 PM
Shinobinlove, this is the only link I've seen to an image. From what I've read, there have been some changes since then, but I haven't seen other pictures posted.

Harp Player
Member Avatar
Triple Ocarinist
Shinobinlove
30 Mar 2017, 05:12 PM
Does anyone have an actual image of the CODA yet?
He only has pictures of prototype (printed) CODA Ocarinas posted. The mold order has been finalized and ordered the last I head, but it may look slightly different from the printed version.

Harp Player
Member Avatar
Triple Ocarinist
Here is the latest update from Karl about the CODA.

Quote:

Hi to you faithful Coda followers. I appreciate you, and I understand how frustrating the slow progress (and my infrequent posts) can be. At times, it's terribly hard for me to be patient also. There are just so many little steps in a project like this -- and a frustrating amount of WAITING (and follow up) whenever the ball is in someone else's court.

Here's the latest word from the mold makers: "After running the tooling schedule, I am showing the week of June 19th for the first samples."

Exciting, right? However, now it's time to manage everyone's expectations, including my own.

The first samples that come out of the mold are to test the functionality, cooling, accuracy, etc., of the mold. Ideally, when they first fire up the huge injection molding machine, celestial music will sound, bluebirds will alight on the hopper, and a shaft of golden light will stream through the factory window, illuminating a set of gleaming, perfectly-formed parts as they emerge from the jaws of the gentle giant. (Sigh!!)

More likely, though, since we have striven to be "steel safe," we'll need to tweak one or more aspects of the molds that produce Coda's four precision parts. Steel safe? Well, it's much easier to remove a little bit of steel from a mold surface to bring it into spec than to try to weld and form a tiny feature onto a mold. Anyway, tweaking requires disassembling the mold (big hunks of steel that weigh hundreds of pounds) and, uh... tweaking it. Then you reassemble the mold and try again... Hopefully, there will be nothing major to address since a ton (or more) of careful planning has gone into this so far.

After parts meet with my approval (I'm easy to please, right?Wink), then it's time to send portions of the mold out to a company that specializes in texturing mold surfaces and, finally, to another company that heat treats the mold cavities. Meanwhile, yet another company will be completing the precision horns and fixtures for assembling Coda. So... I'll be attending a lot of meetings, checking progress and quality of a lot of things, and writing a lot of checks. (SIGH!!!!!!)

So, what is a realistic time frame for getting Coda into your hands? Well, if all goes as planned, we could begin sales at the end of July. Yee-haa! That's what I'm striving for. However, I have enough experience with this type of project to expect unexpected challenges. When they come, you just have to roll up your sleeves and work through them. Thus, I'll also be very pleased if we have Coda on the market sometime in August.

That's all for now. Thanks for the kind, patient support. It is encouraging. Also, thanks for the feedback on price. Obviously, I can't always follow everyone's recommendations, but I always read your comments with great interest and learn from them. Tuna asked if supply would be limited at first. In theory, no. Let's see if that is true in practice. Will there ever be a "high-end" version of Coda? Well, if Coda takes off the way we hope it will, then a high-end version is a possibility in the future. Our focus for now, though, is to make an affordable instrument that plays like a high-end one. Tiny, tough, and light, great sound, 2 chromatic octaves, and fluid, intuitive fingering.

Vendace
Member Avatar
Double Ocarinist
I've never played an inline ocarina, but I'm really excited to see something like this come to fruition! Thanks for keeping us updated Harp player :)

Kitten Forest
Member Avatar
Double Ocarinist x 2
I've always wanted to try a Mountain Ocarina, but of course since this project began, there hasn't been any of the others made. I look forward to more updates!

Harp Player
Member Avatar
Triple Ocarinist
I wanted to let everyone know that Karl has received some sample CODA ocarinas. He is currently testing them to see if the molds need to be tweaked some. If he is happy with them then the next step will be getting them textured which will take about a month.

Wollemi Pine
Member Avatar
Triple-Double Ocarinist

Good to hear. The've been working on CODA for years, and MO currently doesn't have any ocarinas in stock - at least according to their website.

Sedi
Member Avatar
Pendant Ocarinist x 2
Can't wait to get my hands on one of those :). And I sure hope it's gonna be a huge success.

Harp Player
Member Avatar
Triple Ocarinist
A few days ago Karl promised to post some sound samples of the CODA by Saturday (July 22 2017). I am very excited to get to hear the instrument being played.

Bateleur
Member Avatar
Meh.

This is incredibly exciting news. I haven't checked in on developments for this ocarina since it was called the pro-range, so it was a fun info-bomb. Thanks, Harp Player! I'll gladly support MO in their launch of this new instrument. This is probably the most sophisticated instrument design that the ocarina family has ever seen.

Harp Player
Member Avatar
Triple Ocarinist
I have been checking on the MO site almost every day. Most days it only takes a few seconds, but every now and then something new will be there.

Kitten Forest
Member Avatar
Double Ocarinist x 2
I can't wait to see the finished product! I've heard so many good things planned for it.

yordan
Member Avatar
total amateur
Does this means, that Coda will replace entirely the single chambered MO's? The old warm-stone models were eye catchers...

Harp Player
Member Avatar
Triple Ocarinist
I don't know the answer to that. I just know that he suspended production of the older models while working on the final stages of the CODA. I know a lot of people would like to be able to purchase the old C and G.

Harp Player
Member Avatar
Triple Ocarinist
Here is the latest update from Karl about the CODA. Well it is actually some sound samples instead of information about the instrument. The recordings sound pretty good to me, but Karl in not real happy with the quality so he promises to post more later.

Quote:

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/0B0zhPrS1sbhVVEtjVUMxSlE1RkU

Okay, it 10 past Midnight on Saturday night, so I better slap up some sound samples. I'm not that technically savvy, so hopefully this link to google drive will work for you guys, at least temporarily. Frankly, I'm not real happy with these mediocre recordings, but I forced myself to post them because of my promise. I'll replace them with more and better recordings after I get some audio things figured out. Not having recorded in a long time, I had to set up a recording area in our bedroom, which I'm still tweaking. I think there may be some repeats, but I'm done with it for tonight!

Bateleur
Member Avatar
Meh.

There's definitely a chamber divide, the first chamber being a lot more textured. The sterile acoustics in the recording don't help I'm sure, though chamber divide is something that any double will have. The volume seems well balanced between the chambers based on the recordings though.
Edited by Bateleur, 23 Jul 2017, 09:48 PM.

Harp Player
Member Avatar
Triple Ocarinist
Texture is one of the side effects of the shape of inline Ocarinas. I think that the lower chamber wraps around the higher chamber so that would make it have more texture than the upper. I know that some people like texture more than others. I personally think that texture adds depth and power to the sound, but I know that is subjective and not everyone thinks that way.

Bateleur
Member Avatar
Meh.

It's difficult to play MO's if you're mainly used to transverse ocarinas. My Inline G plays very "open," that is with little to no back pressure, and the breath slope feels nearly even, especially pointing out the high notes that don't increase in breath. The sound & playing style definitely throws me off from what I'm adjusted to. Even so, this new instrument is too neat to pass up, plus MO deserves support with this launch. The R&D on the Coda seemed like a huge pain in the ass lol

Kitten Forest
Member Avatar
Double Ocarinist x 2
It sounds pretty good! Obviously not quite like my Hind double, but for the materials and the supposed price, it sounds like something I'd like. I've never used a double for range extension before since mine is meant for harmony, but I'm really interested in this and the G inline that was previously sold.

Harp Player
Member Avatar
Triple Ocarinist
I only have one transverse, it is one of Robert Hickman's 11 hole D's. I love the sound of it and how solid it is along the entire range, but I have a touch of carpel tunnel syndrome so I can't play it for more than a few minutes at a time.

Harp Player
Member Avatar
Triple Ocarinist
Here is the latest news about the CODA.

Quote:

Well, I've been holding off on posting because I keep hoping to share encouraging news.

Since back in July, I've been expecting parts any day, but issues keep coming up: the tool was still out for hardening, the color concentrate had not arrived yet, etc. As of yesterday, the latest word from the molder is, "Guys are finishing up another job and you are next in line for install. As soon as we are ready I will call so you can come down and see the parts."

In the original quote, we were supposed to have finished parts within 10 to 12 weeks. It's not like I'm counting or anything, but, as of today, 22 weeks have passed since I officially placed an order for the Coda injection mold, and 8 and a half weeks just since we received our first clear sample parts. As you can see, we are running a tiny bit behind.

Of course, this is frustrating, but any really important project requires patience. Hopefully, all the many challenges and delays will soon be a distant, vague memory once we have finished Codas in hand. We've waited this long. I'm at least 98.9% sure that waiting a little longer won't kill us.

As soon as I know anything more, YOU will be the first to know!

Harp Player
Member Avatar
Triple Ocarinist
Here is the latest update from Karl:

Quote:

This will just be a quick, big picture update. It is a busy time as we strive to be prepared for the Coda launch on many fronts.

We now have nice production parts (in dark brown), and the texturing came out very nice. If you are not excited about brown either, have no fear! We ran those parts only because we needed to get them ASAP to the ultrasonic welding equipment company so that they could complete work on our horns and fixtures. Without that ultrasonic welding equipment, we can't assemble Coda.

As far as when they will complete their work, the ultrasonic welding guys say, "...delivery [of the tooling] is 1st/2nd week November or ASAP." So, write that on your calendars! It looks like November is the month. And since I am NEVER wrong when I make a prediction... (A song from the Pirates of Penzance springs to mind here. If you don't get this one, you may need to go to a few more high school musicals.)

We finally have the needed color concentrate to make both black and slightly-transparent dark cobalt-blue parts. There were a lot of delays on this because we are working with a type of plastic that neither my molder nor the color concentrate people have worked with before, so you wouldn't believe all we've gone through just to get these color concentrates. (None of the suppliers had the cobalt blue resin, so it is a true custom color, but we could have bought stock black material instead of getting a custom color concentrate made. The only drawback was that we would have had to buy 15,000 or 20,000 pounds of it. Gulp! Hopefully next year!)

I've chosen a plastic called Zylar --a less common, more expensive resin-- because it is very tough, it molds a bit more precisely with less molded-in stress than either polycarbonate or ABS, and it is very safe, i.e., it's suitable for medical devices, reusable drinking ware, etc.

I mention the colors again because I think that two-tone Codas will look classy and more interesting. (The proof is in the pudding, though.) You see, Coda has four components: a top, a middle, a bottom, and a mouthpiece, so we can combine these components in different ways to create Coda Blue, Coda Black, and --for the really hardcore-- Coda Black & Blue. Wink (You are not alone. My wife didn't think that was funny either.)

Gotta run...

It looks like it won't be much longer now.

Harp Player
Member Avatar
Triple Ocarinist
Yet another update from Karl

Quote:

You guys are great! With all that I have going on, I don't always respond to your posts right away, but I always read them with interest.

Good news! I'll spare you most of the details. I spent the day at the ultrasonic welders yesterday. The new horns and fixtures, after some testing and tweaking, now work really well. This is especially encouraging because we designed and redesigned our joints several times to improve them, but there were still no guarantees, so perhaps you can imagine my relief.

At present, I have about a dozen assembled Codas that look and play nicely. Also, I took one of them and dropped it over and over onto solid concrete from a height of 4 to 6 feet. (We'll do more testing in the future.) Coda bounced every time and kept right on playing. Now, I don't present these as unbreakable, but they are designed with EDC in mind. An EveryDay Carry instrument should be small, light, and TOUGH, and I'm pleased to say that Coda lives up to my expectations.

Also, I was playing Coda at the small plant or factory yesterday, and four employees walked up to say they wanted one (or two). I later learned that one of the company owners took an assembled Coda home because he emailed to ask about the Coda book and to say that a couple of his piano-playing teens wanted Codas. While this is gratifying, the real test comes as we gradually find out how many people are willing to part with money to buy one. Time will tell, but I am optimistic. Whatever the case, this is the instrument that I personally have wanted for the last couple of decades but couldn't buy because it didn't exist.

But when, oh, when will Coda be available? Soon, but how soon? Right now they are doing a final polish of the ultrasonic horns and fixtures. Will they finish this week? Maybe, probably, but they couldn't say. As soon as they finish, I will personally transport the ultrasonic tooling over to the injection molding company. Then they'll have to set up their ultrasonic welder so they can perform the three welds on each set of Coda components. The injection molders are great guys, and they say they'll get "right on it," but is that next week (next week includes Thanksgiving), or the following...? And there are many other details that we are racing to get ready for launch. I say "we," but right now it's mainly me. Very soon, as finances allow, I'll have more help from wonderful people waiting in the wings, but Coda has been a BIG stretch financially, so it's still up to me to spin as many plates as I can.

Thanks again for your extreme patience! I'll keep you in the loop.

bigray
Transverse Ocarinist x 3
So close I can smell it. How much is it costing? He made it sound like it might be too expensive for the average joe.

Also he should help Apple make a decent iPhone

Kitten Forest
Member Avatar
Double Ocarinist x 2
I'm fairly clumsy, so this is an ocarina I would be interested in, but price could be an issue. Hopefully it's more affordable. Especially considering Amazon sells Focalink plastic ACs for $60 in Canada.

Saki
Member Avatar
Surprisingly not dead
When he was throwing out prices earlier in the year, honestly the price range he suggested sounded very low. I think he said like $50? This is a very precisely crafted double ocarina, and I think it should be competing with clay doubles in price range, not with single chamber plastics.

Amerred
Member Avatar
Can't play pendants
Damn, it's pretty close. I hardly ever come on, it's great to see everything new that happens each time. $50 is a fantastic price, but I thought I heard somewhere that it would be closer to, like... $100? Don't quote me on that, I'm not at all sure. But even $100 is very decent, to be fair, and I could see a relatively low price considering that the polycarbonate models in the past have been... VERY reasonable, to put it plainly. Just... super accessible prices. Very nice. Meaning that this one might actually be a decent bargain as well. Excited to see it getting closer after all this time, anyway.

Daniel
Member Avatar
Double Ocarinist x 3
Is there a fingering chart for the CODA to give a taste of what playing it would be like?

Saki
Member Avatar
Surprisingly not dead
The top chamber plays like the lower one, one octave up.

Harp Player
Member Avatar
Triple Ocarinist
The last I heard about the price is Karl is looking at $60 for the instrument price. He wanted to go with $50 but the cost of getting it to market has made him reconsider a little.

As for the fingering chart Karl is not going to make it available until he is ready to start shipping. He did say it would be slightly different from the regular MO as far as sharps and flats go and that there would be a small amount of overlap between the chambers.

I am no expert on the CODA I have just been following the thread on the MO forums for quite a while now.

Amerred
Member Avatar
Can't play pendants
That's a great price! I mean, as far as a brand new, innovative double is concerned. He really does a lot for the ocarina community in his own way. I mean, I'm not sure how much it influences everyone in Europe or Asia, but I think he does really great things. He's very affordable, welcoming of new people, and he's actively working on his own to advance the ocarina technology we have. What a guy!

Saki
Member Avatar
Surprisingly not dead
I just wanna buy my vaporware ocarina. I've been waiting for the Coda since like, 2010...

ubizmo

Saki
21 Nov 2017, 06:35 PM
I just wanna buy my vaporware ocarina. I've been waiting for the Coda since like, 2010...
It's not vaporware, I can tell you. From this point it's all about working out the business aspects. The production version of Coda now exists. It's incredible how much development went into this instrument.

spoonyspork
Member Avatar
L'il Tooter
ubizmo
23 Nov 2017, 12:46 AM
Saki
21 Nov 2017, 06:35 PM
It's not vaporware, I can tell you. From this point it's all about working out the business aspects. The production version of Coda now exists. It's incredible how much development went into this instrument.
Oh hey! I just finally got myself a MO (traded someone for theirs) a couple weeks ago and wondered if you still played as it made me realize I'd not seen you post in a while :)

After playing the regular MO, I am *so* excited for the CODA. Especially considering the price point!

Harp Player
Member Avatar
Triple Ocarinist
The Coda is getting very close to shipping. The Molders now have the ultrasonic welders and are hopefully producing a quality product.

Harp Player
Member Avatar
Triple Ocarinist
The CODA release is getting very close. I got an email from Karl today. Here is hoping for something musical under the tree.
Edited by Harp Player, 17 Dec 2017, 05:59 AM.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
« Previous Topic · America Continent Ocarinas · Next Topic »
Add Reply
  • Pages:

Find us on Twitter Facebook | Read the FAQ