Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

- News Ticker

Donations - Please consider donating to The Ocarina Network to keep us afloat. More detail can be found in this topic. •
The Ocarina Network - Serving the ocarina community since April 27th 2008
Welcome to The Ocarina Network, a place for ocarina enthusiasts from all around the globe!

You're currently viewing The Ocarina Network as a guest.

If you join The Ocarina Network, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customising your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. On top of that we have a great number of music scores and backtracks for you to download.

Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Register at The Ocarina Network!

If you're already a member please log into your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
  • Pages:
Mountain Ocarinas; Quality durable inline ocarinas
Topic Started: 20 Nov 2009, 04:02 PM (40,393 Views)
spiritsword88
Poet
Recently I picked up a Hind alto sweet potato and a Focalink pendant, before then I had only played the C and G MO. I love the Hind and the pendant, but I still love my MOs just as much if not more. The texture of the Mountain Ocarina tone is something I've become addicted to, the notes on other ocarinas are nearly too pure to me in many ways. I really enjoy playing a lot of fast paced Celtic music, and I think the MO is better equipped for that sort of music in many ways. But as ubizmo and others have stressed, it takes a lot of practice to get the hang of the MO. You have to grow into it, it doesn't start out sounding good. I was extremely disappointed the first few days I had mine, it took me awhile to get it to sound better than a dollar store recorder. But after a few days it was sounding good, and after 6 or 8 months it was starting to sound really good -- if you like the sound of these ocarinas from skilled players, just stick to it and you'll get the hang of it eventually. And don't do what I did -- it took me a long time to realize that the high D and E were "reversed" so I had been half holing the left thumb-hole to get the D in tune... silly me...
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

shirf02
Member Avatar
Enjoys the Disney Renaissance
Spiritsword

the notes on other ocarinas are nearly too pure to me in many ways. I really enjoy playing a lot of fast paced Celtic music, and I think the MO is better equipped for that sort of music in many ways.

Definately a difference in tone between MO and other ocs. Most of the stuff I play isn't all that suitable for them, but they are perfect for Irish/Celtic/medieval sort of music..

Sigurthr
Member Avatar
Flutist and Ham Radio Operator. Talarđu Íslenska?

The thing I love most about my MOs (besides the ease of linear inline fingering) is the overtones and undertones it produces. My Mo Poly G is airy on the high notes, but, I use it as my on-the-go Oc so I don't really care. Playing an oc is 50% liking the sound and 50% enjoying the physicality of playing.

Having those harmonics in the mix can add depth to a melody line instead of it sounding thin or flat.

damiel71
Member Avatar
The only one from Italy?
Just ordered a Warmstone G ocarina. They Sell some Warmstone G ocarina at a special price (about 30$ less than the normal price). The discounted ocarinas "have slight imperfections" according to Cliff, Cliff said that sound and playability are uneffected by those slight imperfections, so the ocarinas are a good value. The lowered price is only visible after the "add to cart" button is pushed, i was happily surprised when i discovered the ocarina i ordered was 59,50$ and not 89,50$ in the order invoice!

Krešimir Cindrić

Wow... that's great. Now I'm tempted to order one myself. What exactly are those "slight imperfections"?

damiel71
Member Avatar
The only one from Italy?
Well Cliff said that's the imperfections are very difficult to see. The imperfections are in the appearance, by the way those "second choice" ocarinas are guaranteed for life just like the others. There's an old topic in MO forum, first those ocarinas were offered at a special price to the memebers, That's the Link

Sigurthr
Member Avatar

Corian is a material that once molded has to be shaped and then polished mechanically, any scratches deeper than a few hundreth's of an inch would be difficult to remove, thus surface flaws.

Krešimir Cindrić

Thank's for the link. I'm tempted to buy it, but I'll have to sleep on it :)

Sigurthr
Member Avatar

Hardwoods just came in stock! About 10 Gs and 5 Cs.

ubizmo

Sigurthr
30 Mar 2010, 02:43 PM
Hardwoods just came in stock! About 10 Gs and 5 Cs.
I noticed this. Hopefully it means they have solved the problem they were having with adhesives and can continue to offer them on a regular basis. I won't be getting a new one, since I recently bought a hardwood G on eBay. The hardwoods have the advantage of being almost as light as the polys, but a lot easier on the eye.

One of the drawbacks to MOs lifetime guarantee, I guess you could say, is the fact that they must be extremely careful to sell only the most durable ocarinas. Each time one is returned due to damage, it costs them money. Some of that is rolled into the original price, no doubt, but a small company could easily run into trouble if a significant number of products had to be returned.

Ubizmo

damiel71
Member Avatar
The only one from Italy?
Just received my "second choice" Warmstone G ocarina. It's love at first sight! About the slight imperfections i mentioned in the post above, i must say i can't see or hear something strange in this instrument (gotta get a lens?). A very good Bang for the bucks! Unfortunately they're currently out of stock for the C model. I Hope Warmstone C will be ready to ship again soon.

Edit: tnx elven
Edit 2 (which one is correct?: i can't see something strange or i can see anything strange?)
Edited by damiel71, 3 Apr 2010, 01:52 PM.

Elven Spellmaker
Member Avatar
== Cirno -- Opinionated Baka ==

damiel71
3 Apr 2010, 12:08 PM
... i can't see or hear nothing strange in this instrument ...
Double Negative FTW.

If one can not see nothing, then they can see something.

(I'm such a picky picky)

damiel71
Member Avatar
The only one from Italy?
need some english lessons i know. (i'll add "sry for my very bad english" in the sign ok?)
Edited by damiel71, 3 Apr 2010, 01:46 PM.

mikona
Member Avatar
Know-Nothing Neebie (see blog)
Double negatives are weird, especially since Italian allows them, right? Any additional negatives are just specifiers, really. I think... But yeah, in English, odd numbers of negatives mean not, and even numbers mean yes. Although to be perfectly correct you should only have one negative...

shirf02
Member Avatar
Enjoys the Disney Renaissance
Well, having multiple negatives can slightly change the meaning of the sentence, though it's not usually intentional and people actually meant what it would mean if it only had one.

Example:
when asked if you know where someone is: I don't know where he's not.
That doesn't actually answer the question, it just states that you don't know all of the places that the person is not currently at.

damiel71
Member Avatar
The only one from Italy?
mikona
3 Apr 2010, 04:53 PM
Double negatives are weird, especially since Italian allows them, right? .....
Yes, ex: "Non vedo Niente I don't see Nothing.

Edit: Oooops terribly off topic.....
Edited by damiel71, 3 Apr 2010, 06:07 PM.

Krešimir Cindrić

Yes... in Croatian, too, a double negative must be used.

"Ništa ne vidim!", literally "I don't see nothing!".

Even multiple negatives: "Nikad, nigdje ništa ne vidim!" - "I never don't see nothing nowhere!" :D
Edited by Krešimir Cindrić, 3 Apr 2010, 06:29 PM.

mikona
Member Avatar
Know-Nothing Neebie (see blog)
I got something right for once! I've been trying to learn Italian for a while now, but I don't do a great job...

Anyway, something on topic... I still love the polycarbonates I got for Christmas, although occasionally I find it hard to cover the holes completely compared to my other ocarinas.

damiel71
Member Avatar
The only one from Italy?
Back to topic...
as you can see from my collection pictures, i own a lot of valuable ocarinas.
I find mountain ocarinas to be the most "sensible" to breath/embellishmet variations. The warmstone G got a round sound (not the reed crispy sound on lower notes) if compared with the poly one, and the holes are more comfortable to cover than those on the poly. If you like playing celtic/folk/fast song with cuts, taps, rolls and slide effects well that will be your best choice!
Again sorry for my very bad english (look at the sign) and good mountain ocarinaplaying to everyone!

Merrygate
Member Avatar
Dilettante
News Flash-Hardwood G ocarinas are back in stock!

Iroh
Member Avatar
Tea, the life blood.
how do they hold up to salt water? If anyone knows.
Edited by Iroh, 26 Apr 2010, 01:28 AM.

ubizmo

I've gone into the surf with my warmstone. No problem.

Ubizmo

Iroh
Member Avatar
Tea, the life blood.
I saw a polycarb with red around the holes whats rhat about

David F.
Will make ocarinas for food!

Sid
27 Apr 2010, 11:18 PM
I saw a polycarb with red around the holes whats rhat about
there are a couple flouting around ive got a poly c with blue tone holes! :D

Sigurthr
Member Avatar

That was probably my (now Gabe's) Vampire Poly G. I ordered it special from Karl. He had more back then too.

Iroh
Member Avatar
Tea, the life blood.
ah ok thanks. I was looking at that and thought it would make the polycarb C look less like a remote(no offense thats just what i think it looks like)
Edited by Iroh, 28 Apr 2010, 12:29 AM.

Sigurthr
Member Avatar

it does look like a remote lol. The old ones were worse, they were legos!

Iroh
Member Avatar
Tea, the life blood.
Sigurthr
28 Apr 2010, 12:32 AM
it does look like a remote lol. The old ones were worse, they were legos!
Well I'm glad that was fixed but I'm afraid if after i get it I would leave it on the coffee table and try to change the channel with it

alejandro
Member Avatar
Alejandrooo Ale-Alejaaandrooo
Merrygate
14 Apr 2010, 05:04 AM
News Flash-Hardwood G ocarinas are back in stock!
this is news!

Jak3000
Member Avatar
Myself... That IS a title!
Yeah the inlines have the coolest tone ever:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tEyfC2fLV3c

Iroh
Member Avatar
Tea, the life blood.
Interesting tidbit: If you blow harder than needed covering all holes on the C it sounds like a train whistle

hirohiigo
Member Avatar
Double Ocarinist x 2
Just ordered my first Mountain Ocarina... the polycarbonate in G. :) I can't wait to get it.

ZaffoGMT
Member Avatar
The Kortalian Ocarina Inventor
i've always wanted one of their ocs, but never got around to ordering one haha

Jack M.
Member Avatar
Baroque is love.
Just ordered Poly G&C Set.
Expecting them around Wednesday.
:inline: :D
Edited by Jack M., 19 Jun 2010, 09:48 PM.

Jehrets2
Member Avatar
can't think of a title....
Jack:)
19 Jun 2010, 09:45 PM
Congrats :thumbsup: ! I personally don't have an inline oc, but I hear Mountain Ocarinas are pretty good.
Edited by Jehrets2, 19 Jun 2010, 09:48 PM.

Jack M.
Member Avatar
Baroque is love.
Jehrets2
19 Jun 2010, 09:47 PM
Jack:)
19 Jun 2010, 09:45 PM
Congrats :thumbsup: ! I personally don't have an inline oc, but I hear Mountain Ocarinas are pretty good.
Thanks!
The fingering of the G reminds me of my recorder... C:

Hyunwoo
Member Avatar
Double Ocarinist x 4
I got a hardwood G, and it sounds sooo good and its sooo portable. I love it. i might post a review soon

Jack M.
Member Avatar
Baroque is love.
Those hardwoods are so pretty! Congratulations!

Coolio
Pendant Ocarinist
I got cash from my friend to get a Mountain G ocarina. I just got it 3 days ago, and I like the sound already =D

Jack M.
Member Avatar
Baroque is love.
I am currently in the market for a double, and I saw a post on TON... I am very ready for the ProRange (Is that what they are calling it?) to come out! Today I fell in love with my MO's all over again, and I really think that the ProRange could be the double for me!

AND I want to see how it works... I think Karl said that it had the same fingering as a "normal" MO? I was thinking over blowing (like a tin whistle) but then I would blow my brains out with the breath pressure that might take!

And I was wondering what materials the ProRange may come in... I would love a HardWood one...
AND I wonder if it would come in both keys... (I doubt it.)

ubizmo

The ProRange still exists only in prototype. It takes a huge outlay of money (tens of thousands of dollars, I'm pretty sure) to bring a new design to market. MO is a tiny, family-run business without a lot of capital lying around, so they can't move on new models until they raise that capital. The design of the ProRange will not involve overblowing. There's a thread on it somewhere. I also will be very eager to try it when it comes out.

Ubizmo

Anto
Member Avatar
TheOcarinaComparator coming soon ^_^
Now that I look at MO's website deeper, I know I want 2 warmstone MO (in C and G, obviously). They are gorgeous, if I could have it white it a purple or a jade stripe, that would be SO nice. I really need to find money xD

shadowyi
Member Avatar
dysfunctional family
It seems like they've been talking about it coming out forever though, a good year or so to my memory. Still no luck? I wonder how much of a capital investment they need...

Jack M.
Member Avatar
Baroque is love.
I know that there was an existing prototype of it in October 2008, so almost 2 years at the least.

And ubi, is the thread on the MO forum or here?

ubizmo

Yes, it's been in prototype for at least two years. I have no inside info on when it'll be sold; I just know that the tooling costs are very high. The advantage of MOs business model is that they can make high quality ocarinas that cost a fraction of what they'd otherwise have to charge. The disadvantage is that the up-front engineering costs are large. To get an instrument that's in tune and responsive, you don't just make one set of molds and then you're done. You have to make a series of them and test them until you get it just right. This is expensive, and it's the reason why there aren't more plastic multi-chamber ocarinas on the market. Multi-chamber ocarinas are hard to get right in *clay*, let alone molded plastic. The ProRange design is different from any other ocarina currently in existence, and it will require production methods at a very high level of precision. It will not require overblowing or moving the fingers of either hand to a new set of tone holes. It was discussed here on TON sometime ago--I don't recall the thread. My guess is that MO is still paying down what they had to borrow to create the current models, before they can borrow more. The realities of running a small business--especially one that involves manufacturing--are harsh.

I think sometimes people may get the idea that MO is some big ocarina factory somewhere. The reality is that they are just a small shop that has to pay a manufacturer to produce parts, which are then painstakingly assembled, adjusted, refined, and tested. This is why it's difficult for them even to have different color schemes for the poly. The manufacturer likes *big* orders, and it would be problematic to order red or blue liners a thousand or so at a time--even though I'm personally convinced that having more color schemes for the polys would be good for business.

The only current MO model that I don't have is the warmstone C. I figured I have enough MOs, but they have a new warmstone in a pale gray that looks stunning... They make the high-end models in batches, rather than continuous production, so you have to check availability, or get on the waiting list at their forum.

Ubizmo

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · America Continent Ocarinas · Next Topic »
Add Reply
  • Pages:

Find us on TwitterFacebook | Read the FAQ