Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

- News Ticker

Donations - Please consider donating to The Ocarina Network to keep us afloat. More detail can be found in this topic.
The Ocarina Network - Serving the ocarina community since April 27th 2008
Welcome to The Ocarina Network, a place for ocarina enthusiasts from all around the globe!

You're currently viewing The Ocarina Network as a guest.

If you join The Ocarina Network, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customising your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. On top of that we have a great number of music scores and backtracks for you to download.

Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Register at The Ocarina Network!

If you're already a member please log into your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
  • Pages:
The Obscure Ocarina Thread; More Love for the Less Known
Topic Started: 24 Aug 2009, 10:47 PM (35,744 Views)
stealthheartocarina_z
Member Avatar
Transverse Ocarinist
I think we should also shed a little light on the unofficial creators. I mean, some of them actually look and sound like the more expensive ocarinas. They're great for beginners.
I'm still technically a beginner because I've only been playing for six months so I'm not really known as "qualified", but if you are thinking of buying an oc, go on Amazon or eBay and look for a cheap, trusted seller. I mean, I dropped mine at least six or seven times before it shattered, but what do you expect from the ceramic instrument? They sound almost exactly like the more expensive ocs, but be sure to be patient with them. They are very good with teaching you how to lean down for the high notes, breath pressure, weight, tonging, etc. Just in case you ever get a harder/older ocarina.
Ps: learn from my mistake. don't drop the ocarina. dumbest. mistake. ever.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Jack Campin
Member Avatar
Opener of Catfood Tins

Quote:

go on Amazon or eBay and look for a cheap, trusted seller.

Easily identified by the reddish-green triangular circle logo.

Quote:

They sound almost exactly like the more expensive ocs

They don't.

Quote:

They are very good with teaching you how to lean down for the high notes, breath pressure

That is, they're great for teaching you techniques you only need with crappy instruments.
Edited by Jack Campin, 11 Jun 2015, 01:16 AM.

stealthheartocarina_z
Member Avatar
Transverse Ocarinist
What ocarinas are you looking at

Gemstone
Member Avatar
invisible ties
I have bought a small pendant ocarina shaped like a ladybug. It's more a toy than an instrument, but I love its shocked look. :D :D

The other two pictures are from a middle ages market I went to yesterday. There were more flutes than ocarinas, but I loved the shape and sound. The ladybugs on the left side of the second pictures were called ocarinas, and they came in different scales.

Edit: I just went to the web page and saw the gemshorns are called gemshorn - ocarinas, because they are vessel flutes, too. C: (At least I think so :grin: )

(Off topic Edit: Could someone please tell me how to place pictures from my computer within a spoiler field in the forum post? I don't know how that works.)
Attached to this post:
Attachments: Shocked.jpg (85.09 KB)
Attachments: Flutes.jpg (131.95 KB)
Attachments: Flutes_and_Ocarinas.jpg (133.99 KB)
Edited by Gemstone, 29 May 2016, 03:54 PM.

Jubal
Member Avatar
Tree Hugger - Food is your right

Those gemshorns look amazing! I'd love to own one.

Jack Campin
Member Avatar
Opener of Catfood Tins

The gemshorns would be quite a bit easier to play if the fingerholes for each hand were offset, like this:

Spoiler: click to toggle

Gemstone
Member Avatar
invisible ties
If I understood the vendor correctly, she places the holes like that so that the people playing them would be familiar with the fingering, because it looks like a recorder and is played (almost) the same way. I don't know if it would be easier with the offset, though, I have not seen flutes or ocarinas like this before.

Jack Campin
Member Avatar
Opener of Catfood Tins

Recorders usually have offset holes too. For the larger sizes, it makes the instrument much more comfortable to play. (And for the smallest size, the garklein, it's absolutely essential or nobody at all could play it). The fingering system is not changed at all by having the fingerholes lie on an arc.

Nearly all ocarinas are made with the right and left hand fingerholes lying on two separate arcs.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
« Previous Topic · General Ocarina Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply
  • Pages:

Find us on Twitter Facebook | Read the FAQ