Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

- News Ticker

Donations - Please consider donating to The Ocarina Network to keep us afloat. More detail can be found in this topic.
The Ocarina Network - Serving the ocarina community since April 27th 2008
Welcome to The Ocarina Network, a place for ocarina enthusiasts from all around the globe!

You're currently viewing The Ocarina Network as a guest.

If you join The Ocarina Network, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customising your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. On top of that we have a great number of music scores and backtracks for you to download.

Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Register at The Ocarina Network!

If you're already a member please log into your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
  • Pages:
Zin Ocarina; Korea
Topic Started: 22 Jul 2009, 04:59 PM (12,925 Views)
angiessa
Member Avatar
Cartoon'd ocarinist

_Henry_
17 Jul 2012, 04:10 PM
don't you have to press the keys to open the holes? instead of lifting your fingers to open the holes?
Nope, it's just like a regular ocarina. You put your fingers down (press the keys) to close the holes, and lift them to open the holes. The only difference is that the keys form a perfect seal on each hole, so you don't have to worry about leaky air causing intonation problems.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Wollemi Pine
Member Avatar
Triple-Double Ocarinist

You press the keys down. It's easier to play than a normal ocarina in regards to sealing the holes.

_Henry_
Member Avatar
Double Ocarinist x 2
OH I get it. Sorry I was really confused for some reason. that really wasn't that hard to understand. now I feel stupid xD Thanks for the clarification.

FortyTwoBlades
Member Avatar
Plays With Sharp Things
Each standard "hole" on the valved Zin is comprised of a cone-shaped depression, at the center of which is affixed the valve stem and spring. On the cone wall there are 3 evenly spaced small holes, the total area of which is equivalent to the area of what the standard hole would be.

pandorado100
Member Avatar
Premium Poster
Can you play a low C sharp on this ocarina? How about low E flat?

Ocarinadiva
Member Avatar
Play what makes you happy. - Achint

That's a good point. There's not a way to to play C#5 on this ocarina, since there is no sub-hole, and half holing isn't possible with the keys either.

However, you can play Eb5 with this fingering (which is what I use for Eb anyway)

X X X X
X X 0 X
X X

pandorado100
Member Avatar
Premium Poster
Thanks for suggesting the fingering for Eflat. It's too bad about not being able to play low C#. I wonder why they didn't make it a ten hole so you could play high F?

FortyTwoBlades
Member Avatar
Plays With Sharp Things
Because it's intended for children, so it keeps things simple.

Suki
Member Avatar
Haaaaaaaiiiiiii! ^_^

I saw one on Ebay today and am debating whether to get one for my son... I think I'll wait till he's a bit older though. It's a pretty cute little oc. :)

pandorado100
Member Avatar
Premium Poster
My Zin plastic button ocarina finally came today. I decided to order one from Orange e cart per Forty Two Blades' recommendation. They shipped it pretty quickly too. I was impressed that it took only 9 days to get here all the way from Korea.

I've been tootling on it and I must say I'm impressed by the sound. It may be geared towards children but it is definitely not a toy. You can play some really good sounding music on it. I think it would make a fine beginner ocarina for anyone regardless of their age.

I do miss not having the low C# since there is no way to half hole the right pinky. Other than that, it's FUN to play. Because of the buttons, your fingering doesn't have to be spot on to get a good note which makes it easier to play than a regular transverse.

It's so cute too. I may start carrying it around to play whenever the mood strikes. :)

FortyTwoBlades
Member Avatar
Plays With Sharp Things
Suki
19 Jul 2012, 05:39 AM
I saw one on Ebay today and am debating whether to get one for my son... I think I'll wait till he's a bit older though. It's a pretty cute little oc. :)
Do it do it do it! If my 2 year old can beat on it without problem I bet ya' yours will do fine. :D

SuperBobKing
Member Avatar
Quadruple Ocarinist
Am I the only person who even when they got their very first ocarina was able to easily hit a the holes from the start? And I have tiny fingers so it takes more accuracy for me.

pandorado100
Member Avatar
Premium Poster
@SuperBobKing

Yes you are super unique, a paragon beyond compare. :)

All I know is I have prior experience playing recorders and clarinet and it still took time for me to learn the ocarina. In fact, every time I get a new ocarina, I have to learn where the hole positions are and get them into muscle memory so I can play it right. Otherwise, I am always leaking air from mispositioned fingers.

That's why I love my pendants. They are so much easier to get the right fingering since there are only four holes to cover and you use the dominate fingers on your hands to play. I have more of a problem directing my ring and pinky fingers to move into place.

FortyTwoBlades
Member Avatar
Plays With Sharp Things
I've always had good breath control so I was able to pick it up from day one. Most folks I just toss an oc to seem to have trouble though.

pinkreflection
Member Avatar
Aspiring Artist and Ocarinist/Clarinetist
Like pandorado I also have prior experience with the clarinet, so for me, covering the holes were no issue. However, because of the huge difference in breath requirement for the two instruments, I had a hard time playing the low notes in tune at first. =P

FortyTwoBlades
Member Avatar
Plays With Sharp Things
For those not aware I was just browsing the Zin website and it looks like they have a new plastic designed for kids--a valveless design with simplified holes.

http://www.zinocarina.com/shopping/shopping-detail.php?pi=157

Ocarinadiva
Member Avatar

I hope they won't do away with the valved one. Without valves, I think 8 or 9 is probably the youngest most kids would be able to learn the ocarina, but with valves, I think someone as young as 5 could learn to play, because you don't need to be as coordinated to seal all the finger holes. I'd love to stock Night by Nobles in my shop for my older ocarina students, and the valved Zin one for the younger students. I think having a good instrument that is also lightweight and shatter proof would increase confidence, and it would definitely make it easier to teach technique for supporting the ocarina on the high notes.

OcarinaFanatic
Member Avatar
Make music, not notes! >:(
That is so cute and cool! :) They should make a valved one for adults who are new to playing! :D

Ocarinadiva
Member Avatar

It is very cute. As for an adult version, I think adults who are beginners could probably benefit from the valved Zin AC just as much as kids. It's only a tiny bit smaller than Zin's regular plastic AC without the valves, so I think it would probably be okay for most adult hand sizes. It really just depends on the person. Some adults don't have a problem sealing the holes properly when they start playing, and for others it just takes a little longer to get used to it. :shrug:
Edited by Ocarinadiva, 12 Apr 2013, 01:34 AM.

FortyTwoBlades
Member Avatar
Plays With Sharp Things
I think the valved model is a strong seller for them so I doubt they'll discontinue it--I think that the new ocarina for kids is just an expansion of the line. :)

OcarinaFanatic
Member Avatar
Make music, not notes! >:(
Yay for expansion! :)

pandorado100
Member Avatar
Premium Poster
I enjoy playing my plastic Zin button ocarina. It's not uncomfortable to play and I would say I have medium sized hands. My only wish is they would make a 10 hole button ocarina so I could get the high F.

Ocarinadiva
Member Avatar

Yeah, since it doesn't have sub-holes, it seems like kind of a shame that it doesn't play up to F. It would be really cool if they made a valved 12 hole AC with buttons for the subholes too. Now that I've tried the Night by Noble, I know that it's possible to make a plastic ocarina with easy sub-holes that also has easy high notes, so it's just a matter of making the buttons work. It would be really cool if the sub-hole valves also pushed down the valves for the parent holes (similar to how other valved instruments work). Also, if the 12 hole version looked a little more serious and was solid white or black - now that would be super cool! 8-)
Edited by Ocarinadiva, 13 Apr 2013, 12:38 AM.

pandorado100
Member Avatar
Premium Poster
Also, if the 12 hole version looked a little more serious and was solid white or black - now that would be super cool! 8-)

The kiddie look of the 9 hole Zin doesn't bother me. I think it's cute. What I really hate are the colors they picked for the Zin plastic bass or tenor ocarina. I can't bring myself to buy an ocarina in such a ghastly shade of lurid purple or Mr Yuk green.

Mark Chan
Member Avatar

I actually like the Pink, Green, and the Blue. :)

Suki
Member Avatar
Haaaaaaaiiiiiii! ^_^

Well I'm finally going to do it! Vincent's birthday is coming up and he has said he wants an ocarina, so Zin it is! :D I tried teaching him a bit on a "regular" ocarina, but he had some difficulty properly closing the holes and keeping his left pinky down.

So if I configured it right that model is about $25? I'm just thinking it won't come in time (2 weeks) and I'm kinda kicking myself for not buying one sooner!

I don't suppose there's an Ebay listing for one at the moment? I couldn't find one...

pandorado100
Member Avatar
Premium Poster
Suki, I haven't seen those Zin plastic button ocarinas on eBay lately. You used to be able to get them from Orange e-Cart but that seems to have gone out of business. Maybe Odoc could help you find the Zin website and place an order since it would probably be in Korean.

Suki
Member Avatar
Haaaaaaaiiiiiii! ^_^

I may have to go that route because for some reason Google translate isn't working properly, but I haven't tried it on my computer though. That's to bad that they aren't available through Ebay anymore. :S

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
« Previous Topic · Asia and Pacific Ocarinas · Next Topic »
Add Reply
  • Pages:

Find us on Twitter Facebook | Read the FAQ