Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

- News Ticker

Donations - Please consider donating to The Ocarina Network to keep us afloat. More detail can be found in this topic.
The Ocarina Network - Serving the ocarina community since April 27th 2008
Welcome to The Ocarina Network, a place for ocarina enthusiasts from all around the globe!

You're currently viewing The Ocarina Network as a guest.

If you join The Ocarina Network, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. On top of that we have a great number of music scores and backtracks for you to download.

Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Register at The Ocarina Network!

If you're already a member please log into your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
  • Pages:
PayPal Donations
Topic Started: 29 Jun 2009, 07:34 PM (52,972 Views)
Deleted User
Deleted User

Hello again!

As you have probably seen, we have added a Donation button to the bottom of the site, meaning we are from now on accepting donations made by members.

The money you donate will not be transferred to any bank account of any kind, it will stay on TON's PayPal and will solely be used to pay our monthly fees for ZetaBoards Premuim, future contest prizes and so on.
Your donations will only be used towards benefits for The Ocarina Network and its community, meaning YOU!

Please understand that TON grew a lot lately and it is simply impossible for Sam and I to keep the board up and running without your help.
We are not forcing you to donate of course but every single dollar counts and will ensure that you will be able to enjoy TON and all the features you have right now to their full extent.

If you would like to make a donation, click on the banner at the bottom of this post or use the Donate button which can be found in the footer of every page.
We count on you and thank you again for your continuous support!

Sam (kissing), Jack (Elven Spellmaker) and Stephen (Stephen Bobchin)
Posted Image
Current Donations Level: $228.34 USD
(5th November 2012 by Elven Spellmaker)
Quote Post Goto Top

Kalin5513
Member Avatar
Oca-Rocker - Don't mess with me, I'm Pro. 0_0
I get paid on Wednesday. I will see what I can donate :D
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

flip
Member Avatar
"the switch"
What kind of money does it take to keep the board up and running? (I'm just curious.)

Deleted User
Deleted User

As you can imagine, Sam and I are just poor students. :lmao:
It's about $10 per month for now. Depending on the success and how much money we will be able to receive per month, we may consider more outputs like an upgrade of the shoutbox that will enable users to create accounts for it and so on.
And, as I already mentioned, the money will also be used towards our next (and all other future) TONtest so we can supply you guys with brand new ocarinas as prizes.
Quote Post Goto Top

David F.
Member Avatar
Will make ocarinas for food!

i will definitely donate as soon as i can! BRB
i am more than happy to help out the local
TONians! :D

Kalin5513
Member Avatar
Oca-Rocker - Don't mess with me, I'm Pro. 0_0
chatango offers really good and relatively free chatboxes. Just throwing that out there

but i will help you guys out, definetly ^^

flip
Member Avatar
"the switch"
Andy
29 Jun 2009, 07:44 PM
As you can imagine, Sam and I are just poor students. :lmao:
It's about $10 per month for now. Depending on the success and how much money we will be able to receive per month, we may consider more outputs like an upgrade of the shoutbox that will enable users to create accounts for it and so on.
And, as I already mentioned, the money will also be used towards our next (and all other future) TONtest so we can supply you guys with brand new ocarinas as prizes.
Okay, cool. Good to know. It makes it kinda satisfying for someone to donate and be able to say, "I've helped TON to stay afloat for this month!" :TON:

Uronoro
Member Avatar
Where Have You Sinners Gone?

$10 a month? That's a synch, sure, I'll donate some.

I'm sure we can more than cover it, all of us together.
Edited by Uronoro, 29 Jun 2009, 07:58 PM.

Deleted User
Deleted User

Uronoro
29 Jun 2009, 07:57 PM
I'm sure we can more than cover it, all of us together.
I have no doubts. But of course we'd have to start saving for those prizes. lol.

Thanks everyone for the positive reactions and will to donate so far. You guys rawk.
Quote Post Goto Top

Jehrets2
Member Avatar
can't think of a title....
well, I have 60$ and plan to save up for a focalink double AC but I usually find a way to get money so you can expect some donation from me in the future

Uronoro
Member Avatar

Alrighty then, you now have your ten bucks. :thumbsup:

Angelodeath
Member Avatar
Is the Immortal Technique
I gave my two cents.....

(well it was a little more than that :D )

Turbo852
Member Avatar

I've never donated money to a website before, but I'd like to help out with the prizes for the next TONtest. Is there a way to make sure that money goes for that?

It might be nice to have a little meter showing how much money is in the account towards each category.

I'm donating $15.

Armisis
Member Avatar
Paradoxical Enigma

I'll help to of course, I just have to sort out everything till next payday June was a month with 3 birthdays all at once ugh... But I'll put something in the pot soon...

All the best,

Dave

kyleismr.smiley
Member Avatar
<(*~*)>
There should be a pinned amount of current T.O.N. funds somewhere . . . like a thread or a meter?
I put in $1 but will add more when I put more money in the bank. I don't want something like $5 costing me a $15 fee for the equivalent of a bounced check. :O

I've been waiting for this for a while, I love this forum and want it around for a while. :D

speckles
Member Avatar
Ive been hypnotized

Remember, if a credit card is used as the funding source instead of a direct transfer from a bank account, PayPal charges the recipient (TON) a fee right off tht top (1.9% - 2.9% + $0.30. :(

pyrateknight
Member Avatar
☠ Swashbuckler Extrodinaire ☠
Support the TON!

I dug up a little treasure for ye.
Edited by pyrateknight, 30 Jun 2009, 03:52 AM.

Uronoro
Member Avatar

speckles
30 Jun 2009, 02:21 AM
Remember, if a credit card is used as the funding source instead of a direct transfer from a bank account, PayPal charges the recipient (TON) a fee right off tht top (1.9% - 2.9% + $0.30. :(
Wh-what really? Dangit! Debit cards, too?

*grumbles* That's stupid. :nope:

shadowyi
Member Avatar
dysfunctional family
I really like the suggestion of a meter! :cookie:

kyleismr.smiley
Member Avatar
<(*~*)>
shadowyi
30 Jun 2009, 04:17 AM
I really like the suggestion of a meter! :cookie:
Yes! Then all of TON will know and Sam and Andy won't have to pay as much. :D
Just in case the funds are under $10 for the month we can all pitch in a little, willingly of course. We can also see how many months it will last and such. ;)

speckles
Member Avatar
Ive been hypnotized

Uronoro
30 Jun 2009, 03:57 AM
speckles
30 Jun 2009, 02:21 AM
Wh-what really? Dangit! Debit cards, too?

*grumbles* That's stupid. :nope:
They're providing a service, and they charge for it. :shrug:

PayPal

You pay a low transaction fee when you receive payment for goods or services, or receive payments from friends and family made using a debit or credit card (the sender can choose to pay this fee). For complete information, see the fees section of our User Agreement.
Fees link

It says the sender can pay the fee if they choose, but I don't know how that is done. :?

atkeane
Member Avatar
Triple Ocarinist
I put a bit into the pot, not too much, and with that pesky fee it'll be a little less... but I made a contribution of what I could for FREEDOM! (Way too much Scottish stuff recently...)

DeepRed
Member Avatar
Taking a break from Signature requests
If I didn't have just 120 in my account to live on until september I'd throw some in :(
When I get paid....

I love the idea of a meter as well :D

Verstand
Member Avatar
Ocarina Neophyte

Ditto on the meter thing guys. Seriously. C'mon. :3

I'll prolly throw a bit in soon.

Deleted User
Deleted User

We cannot install meter scripts for technical reasons. All we could do is check our account every now and then and post our account balance somewhere. Or we could set a monthly goal and tell you guys how much is still needed, we could use the ticker for that.

As for the fees, either the sender or receiver has to pay them. The only fees there are are transaction fees which are lower than the fees you have to pay to PayPal for commercial use.
Quote Post Goto Top

shadowyi
Member Avatar
dysfunctional family
Or, update the first post with the meter?

TakumiVK
Member Avatar
Euphoric Wayfarer
Can I ask why if we are donating to keep the site up have ads on the site? I thought ads were used for site funding :?
or is this mandatory via Zetaboards?
Also an update thing how much TON is off being periodically updated is a good idea.

Armisis
Member Avatar
Paradoxical Enigma

They upgraded to the premium zetaboards, and its to help fund events and contests ect... if the adds were not on there then it gets even more expensive. Sam and Andy has all those details...

ForestsRequiem
Member Avatar
Formerly Ocarinaman333

Should we make some kind of special "something" to put in your signature if you have contributed?

Different ones for different amounts?

DeepRed
Member Avatar
Taking a break from Signature requests
I dont think different amounts should have different signature 'thingies'..that would encourage competition and one-upsmanship. A little badge or medal symbol with 'Proud TON donator' would be cool! :D

ForestsRequiem
Member Avatar
Formerly Ocarinaman333

Would competition be good(lots of money!)? The Mods and Admins could sneak a little of the extra away for themselves :pirate: ! Just Kidding :D

I know what you mean, it should be more about wanting to help TON, not wanting to be the very best! (I wanna be the very best, like no one ever waaaaas!)[/pokemon reference]

Deleted User
Deleted User

TakumiVK
30 Jun 2009, 04:38 PM
Can I ask why if we are donating to keep the site up have ads on the site? I thought ads were used for site funding :?
or is this mandatory via Zetaboards?
We can purchase adremoval. As you may have noticed, the google ads have vanished for now, that is part of ZetaBoards premium.
Depending on how much money we can raise we may consider purchasing ad removal as well. But it's not one of our top priorities right now. :)
Quote Post Goto Top

kyleismr.smiley
Member Avatar
<(*~*)>
Something that says you are a donor is cool, lol, "I'm a proud TON organ donor". --jk
The different levels, like bronze silver gold premium may get out of hand though . . . but I nice little badge for at least a certain amount would be cool, so new people will be urged to pitch in as little as a dollar.
Maybe the badge can go away at the end of the month? And if you want it, you have to put at least a dollar, or some standard world wide amount that isn't too much.
It isn't mandatory tabs, but it would still be cool.
And just posting a remaining is cool too. No meter is actually needed, as that would require flash and all that. :P

flip
Member Avatar
"the switch"
Ooh! Maybe you can throw in free gifts for donations of certain amounts! Like you get this free CD if you donate $50, and if you donate $100, you'll get the CD and an official TON gold-plated medallion!

Verstand
Member Avatar
Ocarina Neophyte

Things like that would require making things lol.. tough stuff.

SpencervdM
Member Avatar
Resident Japanologist
kyleismr.smiley
1 Jul 2009, 05:14 AM
Something that says you are a donor is cool, lol, "I'm a proud TON organ donor". --jk
I actually lol'd...

But flip makes me think, TON merchandise would be awesome. Like T-shirts and all. We could also set up a project for that with some of the access funds. But maybe we should wait until we get that logo/mascot down?

Verstand
Member Avatar
Ocarina Neophyte

SpencervdM
1 Jul 2009, 06:55 AM
kyleismr.smiley
1 Jul 2009, 05:14 AM
I actually lol'd...

But flip makes me think, TON merchandise would be awesome. Like T-shirts and all. We could also set up a project for that with some of the access funds. But maybe we should wait until we get that logo/mascot down?
Take a look at this post.

Mikael
Member Avatar

I wouldn't put much prestige into donating. Donating should be done purely if you would like to help keep TON afloat and as good as it can be. I would hate it if it turned into a matter of status on TON. A little badge saying you've donated I suppose would be fine, but any more than that and it's just about bragging.

Deleted User
Deleted User

SpencervdM
1 Jul 2009, 06:55 AM
A lot of demand for this has popped up recently, we are thinking about it right now and things start to get into the right direction. We'll keep you informed.

And about that badge system thingy, I will have to agree with Mikael so, for now, no such thing will be put in place.
Quote Post Goto Top

ForestsRequiem
Member Avatar
Formerly Ocarinaman333

I think flip made a good point about the merchandise though! It would be a "below the table" way of rewarding people! But, to prevent the competition that you guys mentioned, we should probably make some rule about not saying things like "look what I got for donating!!!!" perhaps, even saying that you got a prize, or heck even donated could be punishable by warn :lmao: That way people would just do it out of the goodness of their heart or because the want the merchandise!

flip
Member Avatar
"the switch"
ForestsRequiem
1 Jul 2009, 03:01 PM
I think flip made a good point about the merchandise though! It would be a "below the table" way of rewarding people! But, to prevent the competition that you guys mentioned, we should probably make some rule about not saying things like "look what I got for donating!!!!" perhaps, even saying that you got a prize, or heck even donated could be punishable by warn :lmao: That way people would just do it out of the goodness of their heart or because the want the merchandise!
Hehe...I guess I was joking more than anything... I was trying to make light of the fundraisers that do that. Oh-well, if people like the idea, then people like it. I'll just go with the flow. 8-)

kyleismr.smiley
Member Avatar
<(*~*)>
Getting TON points for merch would be cool. But the badge thing for donating is a good way to urge people in a nice way to donate. One dollar for a badge per so often.
Because it may end up that only certain people keep donating anyways. :( A $0.50 or $1 badge would just urge people to contribute more . . . but then again not everyone has pay pal.
So the idea is bi-ist. . . . hmm.
Merch is cool though, we can wear buttons and shirts and hats in out videos though. And the network will profit. :D

Turbo852
Member Avatar

Yeah, I don't think we need rewards for donating, but a badge would be nice.

I do like the idea of TON merchandise though. I think they should just be available for sale. The money from the sale could then be put into the same pool as the donation money, but it will have been thought of as a purchase instead of a donation with a reward.

Also, T-shirts, etc. could be used as prizes in future contests and events.

kyleismr.smiley
Member Avatar
<(*~*)>
Turbo852
2 Jul 2009, 12:01 AM
Yeah, I don't think we need rewards for donating, but a badge would be nice.

I do like the idea of TON merchandise though. I think they should just be available for sale. The money from the sale could then be put into the same pool as the donation money, but it will have been thought of as a purchase instead of a donation with a reward.

Also, T-shirts, etc. could be used as prizes in future contests and events.
Well whoever the TONian is that supply's the merch should be allowed to keep an amount for materials needed.
Tee-shirts cost money, and the print out iron one graphics will too. Buttons however are a lot cheaper . . .

But I mean if they want to donate their hard work in craft, supplies, and s/h costs that is cool too . . . not really though, I would feel bad. :(

ocarevolutionary
Member Avatar
ocarina inventor/designer

Mikael
1 Jul 2009, 07:25 AM
I wouldn't put much prestige into donating. Donating should be done purely if you would like to help keep TON afloat and as good as it can be. I would hate it if it turned into a matter of status on TON......
I don't make the decisions here, but I definitely feel that donations should all be made anonymously, and no recognition of any sort should be given on an individual basis. Everyone has different means, and some may have the means but not the ability to donate. Notices and awards could lead to preferential treatment or minor bigotry. Of course I donate for services I have received and I encourage all to do the same, but I would rather no one decide who I am and how to treat me based on how much I have donated.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · FrontPage News and Official Announcements · Next Topic »
Add Reply
  • Pages:

Find us on Twitter Facebook | Read the FAQ