Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

- News Ticker

Donations - Please consider donating to The Ocarina Network to keep us afloat. More detail can be found in this topic.
The Ocarina Network - Serving the ocarina community since April 27th 2008
Welcome to The Ocarina Network, a place for ocarina enthusiasts from all around the globe!

You're currently viewing The Ocarina Network as a guest.

If you join The Ocarina Network, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customising your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. On top of that we have a great number of music scores and backtracks for you to download.

Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Register at The Ocarina Network!

If you're already a member please log into your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
  • Pages:
Making a wooden ocarina; How I made my last ocarinas
Topic Started: 15 Mar 2009, 08:52 PM (35,587 Views)
Omegablood
Pendant Ocarinist
ocarevolutionary
2 Apr 2009, 05:46 PM
Folks, just a friendly warning. While not completely impossible, it's not likely that you'll succeed in making a fully functional wooden oc like Lanea's without many (20-30) attempts, like she has had. I don't want to dash anyone's hopes, but realistic expectations eliminate great disappointments. Good Luck!
I don't buy that.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Cavalier
Member Avatar
Always look on the bright side of life.
Why? Wooden ocarinas are really hard to make, that is why they cost more.

TimGreen
Member Avatar
Play what makes you happy. - Achint
I will definitelly make some rough drafts of this! I will try not to fail too badly! I think that It wont be too hard except for the voice, which seems VERY difficult.

Omegablood
Pendant Ocarinist
Cavalier
11 Apr 2011, 05:18 AM
I'm not talking about price, I meant that making a wood ocraina shouldn't take 30 tries.

Livin4Jesus
Member Avatar
Transverse Ocarinist x 5
Wow! These are some nice ocarinas!
Maybe I should get into making ocarina... :o

TimGreen
Member Avatar
Play what makes you happy. - Achint
well, what wood would you recommend I use, I got ready to wrk to realize That the only thing I didnt have was the wood, lol. So Whats good, and where can I get it?

Goudy Stout

Omegablood
15 Apr 2011, 04:38 AM
Cavalier
11 Apr 2011, 05:18 AM
I'm not talking about price, I meant that making a wood ocraina shouldn't take 30 tries.
The main part of the quote by ocarevolutionary was "like Lanea's ". Lanea's ocarinas are of amazing quality (someone received one once, but i done remember who) and even after my 25 clay ocarinas (note that learning how to make a clay ocarina is quite a bit easier than a wooden ocarina) i still can't say i have made an ocarina close to the quality of lanea's. Making one that plays a sound, and is relatively in tune and doesn't get airy that early on in the range should be possibly by the 5 ocarina if you have no prior experience in the making field, and it is possible to get it first go (like panch) if you have prior experiences (such as both clay work and musical education).

manwhale
Improving ocarinist
This thread actually helped me quite a bit. I have everything planned out in my head perfectly so as to minimize my risk of failure xD and about clay ocarinas being easier to make... I'm not so sure about that, I tried making some clay ocs a while back, and could never keep them the right shape, and the way I'm planning to make this wooden oc is WAY simpler than clay, just make it in three separate parts, top bottom and walls, and if this rectangular one is a success than I'm gonna work towards making a wooden OoT :3

kenh
Pendant Ocarinist x 3
Anyone else having trouble seeing Lanea's photo tutorial? All I get when I click on DirectUpload is a bunch of crappy German language spam wargame ads and a German 404 Error page...

I sure would like to see those pix...

Jhaemes
Member Avatar
wow

kenh
27 Sep 2011, 07:13 PM
Anyone else having trouble seeing Lanea's photo tutorial? All I get when I click on DirectUpload is a bunch of crappy German language spam wargame ads and a German 404 Error page...

I sure would like to see those pix...
Works fine for me, I click the link at the bottom of the first post and it starts a download for a folder full of pictures.

kenh
Pendant Ocarinist x 3
Ahhh. That was my fubar - selecting the individual graphics. After I got WinZip dowloaded the link at the bottom of the post worked just fine... Thanx. Now, where'd I put my dremel and needle files...

Studentmaker
Beginner
I would like to talk to anybody that has made a wooden sweet Potatoe Ocarina. Pictures if possible.

garyparker@q.com

thanks

Studenmaker

Ace Ocarinas
I will NEVER return to TON.
Cool I was wondering how wooden ocarinas are made.

kyokahn
Member Avatar
Longtime lurker
Still not selling them Lanea? If you're unsure of retail quality I can always be a good beta tester :P

Wollemi Pine
Member Avatar
Triple-Double Ocarinist

Note this is an old thread, started by Lanea nearly 4 years ago.

SuperBobKing
Member Avatar
Quadruple Ocarinist
I haven't seen Lanea in a really long time.

kyokahn
Member Avatar
Longtime lurker
That's bad... really bad. I like wooden ocarinas, they look awesome, but cannot afford hind's prices. Some day I'll make one myself XD but does anyone know if they are sold anywhere for a reasonable price? I mean, sweet potato wooden, they're HARD to find...

Stephen Bobchin
Member Avatar
Close the World, Open the Next

http://www.woodenocarina.net/ if you can figure out how to order from there

SuperBobKing
Member Avatar
Quadruple Ocarinist
There is fairyringmushroomcompany on etsy that sells them, and there is also a seller on taobao. The one on etsy is very easy to find (and you could find other cool ocs looking). I don't have the link to the taobao store though so someone who does will have to give it to you. I am also working on making wooden ocarinas.

kyokahn
Member Avatar
Longtime lurker
Thanks a lot! I didn't find anything on etsy, most were clay or weird shaped woodens. TaoBao on the other hand has a lot of options, few nicely crafted, but still quite a lot, so I'll be looking around. I will at one point review every oca I put my hands on.
Harmony Oh, this is sweet so I'm sharing. CUSTOM WOODEN OCs for cheap!!!

Made by fairyringmushroomcompany apparently, or just harmony ocarinas directly...
Edited by kyokahn, 13 Dec 2012, 07:13 AM.

SuperBobKing
Member Avatar
Quadruple Ocarinist
fairyringmushroom is the one that is on etsy that I was talking about, so at least you found it. Some are weird shaped and some are much more normal.

Jack Campin
Member Avatar
Opener of Catfood Tins

Design for a wooden ocarina:

http://www.fomrhi.org/uploads/bulletins/Fomrhi-113.pdf

page 19.

Not much like any wooden ocarina sold commercially.

Jafafa Hots
Member Avatar
Old. Just really, really old. Also tired.
Lanea
15 Mar 2009, 08:52 PM
Hi, back again :)

As promised I shot a million photos of my next wooden ocarinas during making. Please remind that it is my personal current way of making them and not 'the perfect' or 'standard' way. I used tools I had already, there are other and better possibilities, if you own them.

I start with a picture of the tools I use currently:

http://s11.directupload.net/file/d/1734/57crcpe7_jpg.htm

The ones you cannot go around in my belief are (unless you own some more expensive tools):

saw
small rasps
carving knifes and cutter
sandpaper
drill machine and drills
screw clamps

And of course wood and an idea of your dream ocarina ;)

I'll post the following pictures when I edited them, I hope that doesn't take me as long as shooting them :)

Here are all pictures (rar file)
Thanks to Anto :)
http://www.s-reference.com/ocarinaMaking.rar
Anyone know if the original images are still available somewhere?

I've put together several different kit wooden ocarinas now, and want to embark on my first all-me-created one... looking at various ways of making the labium, etc.
Thanks, if so. :)

Roberto
Member Avatar
OcarinaJapan
Some of my Work on Wooden Ocarinas I just trying to get the best sound of my ocarinas but I think it will take a while. For now I'm still working on both Wood and Clay. Hope you Like it.
Attached to this post:
Attachments: IMG_2854.jpg (194.59 KB)
Attachments: IMG_2855.jpg (171.1 KB)
Attachments: IMG_2856.jpg (132.72 KB)
Attachments: Front.jpg (181.91 KB)
Attachments: Back.jpg (180.56 KB)
Attachments: Side.jpg (189.79 KB)
Attachments: Mouth_Piece.jpg (191.49 KB)
Edited by Roberto, 24 Aug 2013, 05:36 AM.

Lady Ryuusei
Member Avatar
Beginner
Spoiler: click to toggle

Nevermind, i read the most recent post xD
Edited by Lady Ryuusei, 11 Mar 2014, 12:36 AM.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
« Previous Topic · Ocarina Making · Next Topic »
Add Reply
  • Pages:

Find us on Twitter Facebook | Read the FAQ