Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

- News Ticker

Donations - Please consider donating to The Ocarina Network to keep us afloat. More detail can be found in this topic.
The Ocarina Network - Serving the ocarina community since April 27th 2008
Welcome to The Ocarina Network, a place for ocarina enthusiasts from all around the globe!

You're currently viewing The Ocarina Network as a guest.

If you join The Ocarina Network, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. On top of that we have a great number of music scores and backtracks for you to download.

Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Register at The Ocarina Network!

If you're already a member please log into your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
This is both easier and harder than I thought
Topic Started: 8 Mar 2009, 02:22 PM (864 Views)
Dhalphir
Member Avatar
Opinionated Jerk
So I made a couple recordings based on songs I learned solely from sheet music.

Playing the ocarina is harder than I Thought it would be...but reading sheet music again is way easier than I thought it would be to re-learn.

both recordings attached so far...would appreciate any critiques.

Song 1 is Raindrops Keep Falling on My Head, Song 2 is Lon Lon Ranch.
Both were performed on an STL 12 hole Alto C zelda replica.

Attached to this post:
Attachments: raindropsdone.mp3 (1.45 MB)
Attachments: lonlonranch.mp3 (3.74 MB)
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Glup
Member Avatar
a.k.a totten94
I did hear a few misses, but that's not bad..
But the thing in the lst one.. The LonLon Ranch, you played the backtrack waay to high..

Dhalphir
Member Avatar
Opinionated Jerk
yeah I messed up the volume on the recording, recorded it far too soft.. I used Audacity to adjust the gain down for the backtrack and the gain up for the recording but could only go so far before it sounded off

Dhalphir
Member Avatar
Opinionated Jerk
made a new track using my Focalink Double Alto C that I got today!

Used Radical Dreamers backtrack by IBookWorm, and sheet music from same.

As always, would welcome any and all criticisms, and, if you are willing, some ideas on how to fix problems! :)

Thanks!

PS: if this isn't the correct sub-forum for "critique my playing", please let me know, and feel free to move the thread, and I'll post there in future.

Attached to this post:
Attachments: radical.mp3 (1.63 MB)

Jester
Member Avatar
Oh you have not heard? A buh buh-
I only listened to raindrops and it was pretty good! :) There were few errors which I'm sure you'll correct with a little practice and it was actually nice to listen to. I bet you'll be a pro in no time, sounds like you have talent.

mondeva-2008
Inline Ocarinist x 3
Hi Dhalphir!

your recordings are awesome for being the first time you record. I am impressed that you have dared to play with backtracks so soon. I have been playing ocarina (or any other instrument) for 4 months and it is at the time now when I am starting to play with some easy backtracks... i find it more difficult than playing solos. Also, I spent about a month just playing easy things like "La cucaracha" and "Happy birthday" :D
Also, i think i am in a similar situation to you: I've had to re-learn to read music after about 20 years without doing it (old school times with basic musical theory and recorder practize), but I've found it quite easy if the sheet is not too complex. This is a great advantage because there are tons of sheets that can be used to play ocarina out there.

Well done! keep sending recordings, I'm sure we'll see you improving very fast with ocarina.

Dhalphir
Member Avatar
Opinionated Jerk
Well, I find that I like producing things more than just playing them, as it allows everyone else to enjoy them, and its much more enjoyable to listen to a recording of a song if its got a nice complete backtrack with it.

That said, my latest recording is Stones, from Ultima Online. For those who played it, its the menu music before you log in. Should be instantly familiar to anyone who played it.

EDIT: I Have removed the recording, as I've made a better one and turned it into an Ultima Online tribute video. Posting it soon!
Edited by Dhalphir, 11 Mar 2009, 01:57 PM.

Dhalphir
Member Avatar
Opinionated Jerk
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TcRwpI6Jwts

The video as promised.
Edited by Dhalphir, 11 Mar 2009, 02:09 PM.

Dhalphir
Member Avatar
Opinionated Jerk
mondeva-2008
10 Mar 2009, 02:47 PM
Hi Dhalphir!

your recordings are awesome for being the first time you record. I am impressed that you have dared to play with backtracks so soon. I have been playing ocarina (or any other instrument) for 4 months and it is at the time now when I am starting to play with some easy backtracks... i find it more difficult than playing solos. Also, I spent about a month just playing easy things like "La cucaracha" and "Happy birthday" :D
Also, i think i am in a similar situation to you: I've had to re-learn to read music after about 20 years without doing it (old school times with basic musical theory and recorder practize), but I've found it quite easy if the sheet is not too complex. This is a great advantage because there are tons of sheets that can be used to play ocarina out there.

Well done! keep sending recordings, I'm sure we'll see you improving very fast with ocarina.
I actually find it easier to play with a backtrack than without, as it helps keep you in tempo without needing a metronome while you learn to pace yourself.

I ordered my first Ocarina from STL on 17th Feb and it arrived on the 26th, so I've been playing since then. I'm being rather ambitious I think, but I Like how its turning out.

Dhalphir
Member Avatar
Opinionated Jerk
another video
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QoSU9CxZez8

This one is a re-recording of Radical Dreamers, but I wanted to make an actual video.

Dhalphir
Member Avatar
Opinionated Jerk
my attempt at From the Beginning Until Now: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X9nRPV8LjJY

Seems like my breathing problems with airy high notes somehow got solved overnight...No idea how.

Dhalphir
Member Avatar
Opinionated Jerk
as everyone who does videos eventually must do, I've uploaded one of some Zelda songs.
They're pretty bad, not very happy with the way I played them, but I was too tired to do a second or subsequent take.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eVQFRa0bzHg

besides that, I wanted to keep working on Canon Rock.

vilefox
Beginner
Dhalphir
21 Mar 2009, 03:48 PM
as everyone who does videos eventually must do, I've uploaded one of some Zelda songs.
They're pretty bad, not very happy with the way I played them, but I was too tired to do a second or subsequent take.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eVQFRa0bzHg

besides that, I wanted to keep working on Canon Rock.
got youtube still? :<

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
« Previous Topic · General Ocarina Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply

Find us on Twitter Facebook | Read the FAQ