Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

- News Ticker

Donations - Please consider donating to The Ocarina Network to keep us afloat. More detail can be found in this topic. •
The Ocarina Network - Serving the ocarina community since April 27th 2008
Welcome to The Ocarina Network, a place for ocarina enthusiasts from all around the globe!

You're currently viewing The Ocarina Network as a guest.

If you join The Ocarina Network, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customising your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. On top of that we have a great number of music scores and backtracks for you to download.

Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Register at The Ocarina Network!

If you're already a member please log into your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
  • Pages:
STL Ocarinas; An Ocarina Importer
Topic Started: 30 Jan 2009, 03:06 AM (86,982 Views)
Jason
Member Avatar
(Bud)dy
Okay, so I guess I'm the one starting out the STLOcarinas page.... :poke:

The STLOcarinas Website

This Ocarina Company sells several ocarinas in the US, and is commonly sold to beginners who don't know much about ocarinas themselves. Many Ocarinas are sold because of their unknowingliness about the companies abilities and quality. So a lot of people buy from them.

This Manufacturer does not makes its ocarinas and they are made in Taiwan. The Ocarinas that are labeled with the Taiwanese trademarks TNG/WPN are mostly higher-level ocarinas.
The lower-level ocarinas that come from STL aren't quite so great, to most of the users on TON.
Tuning is considered bad, and prices too high- considering the shipping of large amounts from Taiwan to America + They need profit too.

The Ocarinas made and produced in both TNG and STL do have quality to them, just a bit more (well a lot more) expensive.
Because these companies, rather then produce little by little to make a living, they make several- as in a LOT. SO tuning is not so great, and each ocarina made is a bit different from the last, because there are probably a lot more than one person making ocarinas.

If you are to buy ocarinas from STL be aware of high prices compared to the originals originating from Taiwan.
Not many people recommend buying ocarinas from this company-

Some specific info on them (according to Moonsyne, too lazy to check haha):
St. Louis MO / Taiwan
Medium: Clay (Earthenware/Stoneware)
Shipping: $8 in the US, $21 for Canada and $27 elsewhere
Comments: Sells both Earthenware and Stoneware
Return Policy: No Returns, Replacements with shipping insurance only

Tell me if theres something wrong in this small little description. :thumbsup:

Spoiler: click to toggle

THE CONTEST IS OVER!
Edit: I see someone already posted this topic =P :| about this competition I mean =P.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Deleted User
Deleted User

The company is listed in the By Location Guide to Shipping, so I believe that this is the right place to put a company based thread. They are an American company. There is no problem with having such a thread; there just has not been anybody interested in creating one.

I strongly recommend cleaning your post up a bit. Might I suggest that you list them as an importer in the title, as not to confuse them with ocarinas made in America. I think a proper link to the website is in order, so members can find the website quickly. Details explaining what they offer are also a good thing to add.

Since this section is about companies, you should focus on company details.
There is already a thread about the competition. You can find it Here.
Quote Post Goto Top

kissing
Member Avatar
tyrannical dictator

Quote:

I know that STLOcarinas isn't mentioned much around here

Actually, I think they're mentioned a LOT around here :rofl:
Sure, not everyone's opinion of their ocarinas are great, but they still are one of the major sources of ocarinas that many of us have purchased from at some point :)

The ocarina community would not be the same without them :rofl:

Jason
Member Avatar
(Bud)dy
kissing
30 Jan 2009, 07:38 AM
Actually, I think they're mentioned a LOT around here :rofl:
Sure, not everyone's opinion of their ocarinas are great, but they still are one of the major sources of ocarinas that many of us have purchased from at some point :)

The ocarina community would not be the same without them :rofl:
I don't really see them much around here, a little chit-chat about it, but not much else.

Little-Westy
Member Avatar
Beginner
I've just brought their new infinty 12 hole ocarina and from the reviews it's supposed to be pretty good. I'll post a review when it comes through.

shadowyi
Member Avatar
dysfunctional family
Hm.. I do believe there are quite a few reviews about their ocarinas, plus there's a lot of talk about the contest. What else are we missing? :?

Armisis
Member Avatar
Paradoxical Enigma

Yep, you know I wish they and other oc makers would join us more here, I know we got a few reps or oc makers themselves on here but more would be nice.

DeepRed
Member Avatar
Taking a break from Signature requests
Somehow I don't think STL will be joining TON (openly at least) anytime soon...*cough*

kissing
Member Avatar
tyrannical dictator

DeepRed
9 Feb 2009, 09:02 AM
Somehow I don't think STL will be joining TON (openly at least) anytime soon...*cough*
But they appear to be quite active observers..

*waves* Hello STL People :hi: :jumpy:

BlessedMeWithHisFire
Member Avatar
The one and only
What the............. this topic was added a week and a half ago. Come on guys stl is the company that introduced alot of us to the ocarina and it just got its own topic as a provider. :shame:

Also I do see that any thing about stl is not mentioned in the right place because general ocarina discussion is for important news and stl topic are always mentioned there

Deleted User
Deleted User

I think STL was just overlooked. Threads here are about companies, and people want to share the new ones that are found or discuss the ones they have or will have soon. STLocarina didn't have a thread until someone chose to make one.

It may be that members wanted to avoid creating one that has the potential to go seriously off-topic. To prevent rehashing, I recommend newbies to read:

* A discussion on Ocarina Brands
* STL Ocarinas?
Quote Post Goto Top

sepllcehck

armisis
9 Feb 2009, 05:35 AM
Yep, you know I wish they and other oc makers would join us more here, I know we got a few reps or oc makers themselves on here but more would be nice.
http://theocarinanetwork.com/single/?p=8010904&t=6532633

Kind of a damned if you do - damned if you don't situation...

If I were a maker - I wouldn't post here. I'd have my own forum ala MO...

shadowyi
Member Avatar
dysfunctional family
^ Yeah, but then you run the risk of having a very limited userbase because only people who buy your ocarinas are registered users. It's an interesting balancing act *shrug*.

Princ3ssDani
Member Avatar
Pendant Ocarinist
i got my first (and only) ocarina from STL because it was cheap and plastic. and cause i'm a zelda nerd. :link:
http://stlocarina.com/wz1pl.html :ocarina:
and i got my 8 year old brother a 6 hole. :pendant: the price wasn't that bad... it was between $30 and $40 all together. i found that reasonable.
i mainly got myself the plastic one, as i said before, because it was cheaper than all the others, and it's plastic. being a very messy college student, (a clay one would have broke by now) stuff gets flung around my dorm, breaking things in their paths. ^_^;
so contrary to what others say, i like the ocarina i got from STL.

Jhaemes
Member Avatar
wow

I was thinking of getting one. Any recommendations for 12 hole or Double?

Ocarinadiva
Member Avatar
Play what makes you happy. - Achint

STL has an awesome 2 octave pendant that I plan to add to my collection very soon. As far as doubles go, it would be easier to learn than transverse. If you are looking for a 12-hole or double transverse, I highly recommend their purple clay line. If you are looking for something less expensive in the $50 range, many people here are very happy with their 12-hole Enigma.

ubizmo

Ocarinadiva
27 Feb 2009, 12:25 AM
STL has an awesome 2 octave pendant that I plan to add to my collection very soon. As far as doubles go, it would be easier to learn than transverse.
Why do you suppose the pendant 12-hole double would be easier to learn? Do you find pendants in general easier to learn? I don't, but maybe I'm just too locked into linear fingering.

Ubizmo

sirhalos
Member Avatar

I would be interested in hearing this too. I have never owned a pendant and I'm scared to learn one because they seem very difficult as far as fingerings. And as ubizmo said fingering is important. A lot of instruments have very similar fingerings to the ocarina so I like playing it because of that. Pendant is not similar to anything it seems too hard I'm getting too old to learn something COMPLETELY different.
Edited by sirhalos, 27 Feb 2009, 05:17 AM.

kissing
Member Avatar
tyrannical dictator

I don't think a Pendant is any easier to learn than a Transverse.
Linear fingering "makes" sense as there is generally one hole for each fingering and you go up and down the scale.
The less holes, the more complicated combinations of fingerings to compensate for the less holes :shrug:

That said, I don't find Pendants difficult. They are somewhat simplistic, but do require you to familiarise yourself with a new combination set of fingering.

I can't play the same difficulty songs on the Pendant as I can do on the Transverse, but it still is a lot of fun as there is variety. I'm waiting on my Double WPN Pendant too (from Ted's ebay store). I don't think he has them listed as a regular product though... I had emailed him a month ago whether he could get some in, and he got one in for me specifically. Not sure whether he intends to sell more, though you could email him to find out.

Ted's DoReMe Ebay store:
http://stores.shop.ebay.ca/Teds-DoReMe

Note: There already are videos of this ocarina on Youtube:

(by ocarevolutionary)

Ocarinadiva
Member Avatar

ubizmo
27 Feb 2009, 04:06 AM
Why do you suppose the pendant 12-hole double would be easier to learn? Do you find pendants in general easier to learn? I don't, but maybe I'm just too locked into linear fingering.

Ubizmo
It appears that the fingering system is the same for both chambers, which is a huge advantage. So if you already know how to play a pendant, you just switch chambers and use the same fingering to get an octave higher - I think that's brilliant! If you just wanted to use it to extend the range (instead of play harmony), you could cover both sets of holes and just alternate between chambers using the same fingering without having to change hand position. But the ability to play harmony makes it really cool and multifunctional, plus it's small enough to wear comfortably. :fly:

For someone with no experience with ocarinas, I think that pendant/inline/transverse is just a matter of personal preference. Until the compact double pendant, transverse had more range, so I'm looking forward to being able to play lots of new songs on the pendant. I think that some kinds of ornamentation are easier on the pendant, because it doesn't require your ring or pinky fingers to be as dexterous as with the transverse. Harmony on the compact double looks difficult, but I've been frustrated in the past by other harmony ocarinas (primarily due to their lack of range), so I think perhaps the design of this one will suit me better.

ubizmo

Ocarinadiva
27 Feb 2009, 09:24 AM
It appears that the fingering system is the same for both chambers, which is a huge advantage. So if you already know how to play a pendant, you just switch chambers and use the same fingering to get an octave higher - I think that's brilliant!

Ah, okay, that makes sense.

Quote:

For someone with no experience with ocarinas, I think that pendant/inline/transverse is just a matter of personal preference.

I had a pendant for about a month, but found that I just couldn't play at the same level. But I've been playing woodwinds with linear fingering for, ahem, 45 years, so my brain may be too deeply grooved in linear fingering.

When I look at the master ocarina players, it seems they always play transverse ocarinas. I assumed that that was because the fingering on pendants is inherently harder. It is was merely about the range, I suppose we might see some of them starting to play the compact double.

ubizmo

Deleted User
Deleted User

I wish they would import more of the Modified 9 holes. The sound is powerfully good and the quality worth mentioning. They're made by Honest / Sincere Ocarinas (I think that is what they are called) which I quite like. I've played around with a few of thier models, but only own one. The price listed on thier site was comparable to what STL sold them for (plus a little for shipping) last I looked, which made them priced about right.
Quote Post Goto Top

King Ocarina
Member Avatar
Pére Poches Drôles
why are so many people negative towards stl?

They must be doing something right because A LOT more people have stl ocarinas, with songbird at a close second when compared to the number of people who have say focalinks, hinds, and maparams.

Also some people say that they are out of tune. Since they import ocarinas, wouldn't make sense to say that they buy out of tune ocarinas from TNG, WPN, etc?
Edited by King Ocarina, 5 Mar 2009, 08:10 AM.

Deleted User
Deleted User

Why are so many people negative towards Wal-Mart?
It is a large and complex thing to define. Everyone has thier own answers.

I think STL does well because the advertise efficiently, have a professional looking website, coverage on Youtube, and (to be bluntly honest) most people do not hear about any other companies.

I do think that you may assume too much on the number of STLs that are sold compared to Songbird, who has Nintendo Power adverts as well as Thinkgeek selling power. There may be more STL owners where you discuss ocarinas, but not in total bought. I think there is no real way to be sure of the sale numbers between the two companies.

I agree that STL's stock should be evaluated by model. There is way too much generalization. When talking about the company, one should stick to the facts about the company.

I am not contented to buy or recommend STL Ocarinas in almost all situations firstly because of thier No Return Policy. Most makers offer complete satisfaction, exchanges, or 30 day money back guarantee. Secondly, I prefer to order directly from the maker to support the ocarina artists out there. This is my preference, and I don't let it effect my recommendations. Thirdly, I think about cost effectiveness. I encourage people to buy locally to cut shipping costs, and believe that international orders from STL are not cost effective against known competition. It is not personal, it is numbers. Fourthly, I try to evaluate ocarinas on quality to price ratios. Each model I've owned (or had the opprotunity to use) has undergone this process with no regards to maker. Of the twelve odd models I've had the opportunity with from STL, there is only one that I recommend. It is not an appealing ratio.
Quote Post Goto Top

Lanea
Member Avatar
Transverse Ocarinist x 3
I own their three WPN standard ocarinas (tenor, alto, soprano) but soon added the TNG purple clay double and mini to my collection. Now I don't play the WPNs anymore. The purple clay mini is harder to play than the wpn soprano but it has a much mellower sound and doesn't hurt my ears. And the sound of the double is very nice too, not too far away from my woodsound Alto-C, really. I think the airiness of the standard tenor (alto-C) and purple clay alto-C lies mainly on high D-E-F, and the doubles highest note is D#, so the airiness isn't that strong. The second chamber is not airy at all.

Ocarinadiva
Member Avatar

Lanea
5 Mar 2009, 09:30 AM
And the sound of the double is very nice too, not too far away from my woodsound Alto-C, really.

Lucky!!

With any luck, the Woodsound Alto C will be joining my collection soon, and I'm very happy to hear that you think the quality is comparable to STL's purple clay ocarinas - this is great news, because I love my purple clay double, but I also want the durability of a wooden oc (when I'm on the go). Thanks for sharing! :fly:

Edited by Ocarinadiva, 7 Mar 2009, 08:34 AM.

Ocarinaer
Member Avatar
The Senior Intern
Speaking of doubles and STL, is there any place cheaper than STL to get a double? preferably clay (i guess there are wood doubles?)? i have been searching all over ebay but... (sorry this kind of got off track)

And about STL's (or any ocarina company's) advertisement; i show others my (now glued back together) double ocarina and they have no idea what an ocarina is, much less pronounce it. i know this is kind of a stupidly-weird question, but why isn't it a very well-known instrument. it isn't new. (and yet again i try to relate a strayed question to the past posts :facepalm: ) i guess it is just not known in America that well? how well known is it over in other parts or the world? sorry, i'll stop rambling...

Lanea
Member Avatar
Transverse Ocarinist x 3
Yeah, you'll love the woodsound. :D It was a great quality jump from the stl standard ceramic tenor to the purple clay double. And to the woodsound is even another small jump upwards, especially in ease of playing (subholes) and airiness (none, or in a way the same amount through all the range and of course look and feel)
But that is going of topic. :)
Essence is maybe that you can get from STL what you paid for. A cheap (but some models still overprized) not so high quality ceramic ocarina, or a better quality more expensive clay ocarina.

Ocarinadiva
Member Avatar

Well, sure - a Woodsound Alto C costs almost $400, so you would expect it to have a fantastic sound. Also, wooden ocarinas are a lot more labor intensive than clay ocarinas - so it just makes sense that they would cost more. Do you happen to know if Woodsound does custom subholes?
Edited by Ocarinadiva, 6 Mar 2009, 06:07 PM.

Annet211
Member Avatar
The Fox Girl
I got my first ocarina a week and five days ago from STL. The price was okay, $59 without tax, and the sound, to me, is beautiful. The ocarina is a 12 hole tenor. But, Until now, I had no idea it was from Taiwan. But as far as the ocarina, I think it is great, though this is my first. Here is a pic from there website of the oc I got.

Posted Image

Does anyone else have this particular one?

Ocarinadiva
Member Avatar

Annet211
10 Mar 2009, 04:32 PM
Does anyone else have this particular one?
Very pretty. The speckled design reminds me of an egg. I don't have this particular one, but I do have the Spearhead Tenor, which is similar. Different shape, but same material and finish. I have some more STL ocs on the way, so soon I will be able to compare the sound of several different Alto C designs that they are currently selling. :playoc:

Annet211
10 Mar 2009, 04:32 PM
Until now, I had no idea it was from Taiwan.

Yes, STL is a music school in Saint Louis, MO. They import their ocarinas from Taiwan, but their relationship with the makers allows them to have some creative input on some of the designs, and I believe this is one of them (any ocarina that has the STL stamp). The Spearhead design was actually created to be a more ergonomic version of a sweet potato/transverse ocarina, and I think they did a pretty good job with it, because I find it more comfortable to play for extended periods.
Edited by Ocarinadiva, 11 Mar 2009, 03:28 PM.

ubizmo

Ocarinadiva
11 Mar 2009, 03:15 PM
Yes, STL is a music school in Saint Louis, MO. They import their ocarinas from Taiwan, but their relationship with the makers allows them to have some creative input on some of the designs, and I believe this is one of them (any ocarina that has the STL stamp). The Spearhead design was actually created to be a more ergonomic version of a sweet potato/transverse ocarina, and I think they did a pretty good job with it, because I find it more comfortable to play for extended periods.
I hope you'll do a review of that interesting inline at some point. I don't think you've done a video with it yet. Personally, I don't like the standard sweet potato form factor at all, but the spearhead, infinity, and inline designs all appear to be an improvement on it.

ubizmo

Ocarinadiva
Member Avatar

ubizmo
11 Mar 2009, 04:13 PM
I hope you'll do a review of that interesting inline at some point. I don't think you've done a video with it yet.
Thank you - it's definitely on my list of things to do now that the contest is out of the way. As much as I enjoy playing ocarina, I find that the hassle of messing with technical stuff causes me to procrastinate even when I'm ready to record. :facepalm:

I prefer the Spearhead, because it feels much more natural in the hands, but the Inline has a shape similar to a hsua, which gives it a very unique timbre, so I'd like to make some videos of it too. I'll go ahead and do that next since you reminded me. :)

subakuryu
Member Avatar
INCOMING!!!
We look forward to it. :)

shadowyi
Member Avatar
dysfunctional family
Ocarinadiva

Do you happen to know if Woodsound does custom subholes?

You might get a quicker response if you also post this in the Maparam thread (actually, I haven't checked that thread in a bit, so you might've!), but to my knowledge only Mr. Hind does custom wooden ocarinas. Wooden ocarinas are just too costly and time intensive to be churning out custom things.

Ocarinadiva
Member Avatar

Thanks for the info. I already asked Mr. Hind about custom tuning/subholes, and he didn't seem very keen on it (I hope I didn't offend him by asking.) I'm sure he takes a lot of pride in his work, and his ocarinas are gorgeous, but I'd rather go with a wooden transverse that uses the same fingerings that I already play. Also, I really like having the low A for a lot of songs I play on the 12-hole transverse, and wooden ocarinas are too expensive for me to afford both. :(

I really enjoy watching his videos, though. He plays his creations so well.
Edited by Ocarinadiva, 14 Mar 2009, 09:16 AM.

jwchargers13
Member Avatar
Pendant Ocarinist x 2
i just got my first "real" ocarina a couple of weeks ago. I went with the STL 12-hole tenor (alto-c). I really really like it. Sure I haven't used any other ocarinas but for starting off, I couldn't have asked for a better sounding ocarina. For me, since I live in the US, the shipping only took a few days, although it may take longer for those out of the US, I'm not too sure though. But I definitely am satisfied with my ocarina. Hopefully I'll be able to get a hind sweet potato ocarina sometime in my lifetime.

purin
Member Avatar
Look! No fingers!
How does the STL 6 hole plastic pendant compare to the Bear Paw ocarina? I'm wavering between the two for inexpensive and durable pendant ocarina options.
Edited by purin, 19 Apr 2009, 03:27 AM.

Ninocarino
Member Avatar
Double Ocarinist
Well, i just can say that the plastic pendant is one of my "best selections". Has not the great concertal sound, but works fine, is durable and you could dance over it and do not brokex.

ZaffoGMT
Member Avatar
The Kortalian Ocarina Inventor
STL (TNG) just came out with an ocarina inspired by Giuseppe Donati, but it has 12 holes instead of the classic Italian style of 10 holes. It seems as though they are trying to steal business from Fabio Menaglio Ocarinas.

kyleismr.smiley
Member Avatar
<(*~*)>
ZaffoGMT
21 Apr 2009, 02:28 AM
STL (TNG) just came out with an ocarina inspired by Giuseppe Donati, but it has 12 holes instead of the classic Italian style of 10 holes. It seems as though they are trying to steal business from Fabio Menaglio Ocarinas.
Well there have always been cheap knock offs of them. I guess this is just the newest rendition. At least these seem to be of quality. I'd buy one, however the soprano one isn't that much for a genuine one . . . I think this is just a n00b trap. I want one, but I don't at the same time . . .

atkeane
Member Avatar
Triple Ocarinist
I don't know if anyone else gets the emails sent out by STL, but what do people think of the mystery pic that looks like an ocarina built into a tea cup?

Ninocarino
Member Avatar
Double Ocarinist
Mmm, strange, i know. Maybe some of this days i could see a dove-whistle ocarina, like the mexicans.

kyleismr.smiley
Member Avatar
<(*~*)>
New purple clay quadruple ocarina . . . ?
I went to STL ocarinas webpage and was like bwa! Purple clay quad ocarina!?!?!
This seems rather interesting.
:D
Or just plain poop . . . I don't know yet. :giggle:

Adam
Triple Ocarinist x 4
. . .
Edited by Adam, 27 Jun 2016, 04:36 PM.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · America Continent Ocarinas · Next Topic »
Add Reply
  • Pages:

Find us on TwitterFacebook | Read the FAQ