Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

- News Ticker

Donations - Please consider donating to The Ocarina Network to keep us afloat. More detail can be found in this topic. •
The Ocarina Network - Serving the ocarina community since April 27th 2008
Welcome to The Ocarina Network, a place for ocarina enthusiasts from all around the globe!

You're currently viewing The Ocarina Network as a guest.

If you join The Ocarina Network, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customising your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. On top of that we have a great number of music scores and backtracks for you to download.

Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Register at The Ocarina Network!

If you're already a member please log into your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Poll Only
The most memorable and beneficial ocarina of our time
Maparam Triple Ocarina 31 (47%)
Spencer Zelda Replica 14 (21.2%)
The Ocarina of Time (in-game) 21 (31.8%)
Total Votes: 66
Ocarina of the Year (OOTY) Official Thread!; Vote now for the OOTY 2008!
Topic Started: 2 Dec 2008, 08:53 AM (3,266 Views)
OcarinaOfTheYear
Member Avatar
Presented by TON staff!

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

The time to vote has come!
Now is the final showdown between the three candidates we nominated.

Which will be proclaimed "the most memorable and beneficial ocarina of our time" and be given The Ocarina of the Year 2008 Title?

Feel free to add your discussions about your selection!

OOTY 2008 Candidates:
Maparam Triple, Spencer Zelda Replica, Ocarina of Time

Posted Image

Offline Profile Goto Top

DeepRed
Member Avatar
Taking a break from Signature requests
I'll go for the Maparam- in my opinion the most beneficial since it's available to everyone, unlike the other two! Plus it sounds awesome, and showed us (along with Focalink) that us westerners can have amazing instruments from the too-often closed-to-us world of Asian Ocarinas. I wish more manufacturers should follow their lead! :D
Offline Profile Goto Top

kissing
Member Avatar
tyrannical dictator

I went with the Maparam Triple, not only because it is my personal favourite ocarina - but it was the ocarina that fascinated me most when I first discovered ocarinas.

Willy's performance was absolutely amazing, and it made me dream of owning such an ocarina some day and playing such wonderful music on it.

If it won, it will also symbolise for me that the ocarina community no longer focuses on the Zelda game when talking about ocarinas, but as fully capable musical instruments.
Offline Profile Goto Top

Myung
Member Avatar
= Mighty Mohawkus =
I voted for the Spencer Zelda Replica. Even though it could have been a regular Spencer Alto C as well. I do feel that we are moving away from the whole Zelda theme, and I think that's a good thing. But Ocarina of Time has brought so many of us to this wonderful instrument, it does deserve some credit. So yeah Spencer gets my vote^^
Offline Profile Goto Top

Tye Possum
Member Avatar
The wandering musician
I went with the in game ocarina of time because although now I think of the ocarina as an instrument, I wouldn't even know about it's existence if it wasn't for the ocarina of time and I think that's the same for a lot of people. If it wasn't for the ocarina of time there probably wouldn't be an ocarina community as large as there is now. If ocarinas were more common then of course there would be a real ocarina that inspired a lot of people but since it's popularity is or was quite small, we needed something that a lot of people are interested in to show it to us again and that happened to be a video game.
Offline Profile Goto Top

Remagoen
Member Avatar
Inline Ocarinist x 5
OoT for me. Face it, most of us wouldn't even know about Ocs if it weren't for that one, just like Tye said. That's pretty influential stuff right there if you ask me.
Offline Profile Goto Top

ForestsRequiem
Member Avatar
Formerly Ocarinaman333

I vote for the Maparam Triple! It's mystique intrigued so many of us with its wondrous abilities when we first saw Willy play Hungarian Dances!

And yes, while OoT did introduce many of us to ocarinas, it is not to thank for all of it. For me, I was playing Majora's Mask in the Summer of '07 determined to finally beat it, later I decided to look up ocarinas on youtube...

I saw a video of Docjazz playing his Spencer(Song of Time, I think), and I thought that's cool, but still just zelda stuff...

Then in the sidebar I saw a picture of a Korean guy (Whooooo Willy :music: ) playing what looked like Swiss cheese(Maparam Triple)!

I clicked on the video(below, I'm sure everyone has seen it) only to be inspired by the wondrous miracle that was ocarinas!
Spoiler: click to toggle

It was after I saw that video that I went back to Docjazz's channel to find out about getting my own ocarina since the website : http://www.maparam.kr was all in Korean (that was before Kissing/Sam used his awesome Korean speaking skills to make Maparam ocarinas available to all of us English speakers! It was you right? Last year is starting to get a little fuzzy )

This is why I am voting for the Maparam triple as the OOTY!
I would vote for the Focalink Triple as well, but sadly that's not in the vote :( I really like both Maparam and Focalink for providing amazing Ocarinas to the non-asian world!
Edited by ForestsRequiem, 2 Dec 2008, 11:03 PM.
Offline Profile Goto Top

Deleted User
Deleted User

OoT was and always will be love for me. It's childhood personified.

Goto Top

Ocarina12
Member Avatar
legendary ocarina knight
It was the legendary game OoT that taught many of us of the mere exsistance of the ocarina. Face it, if it wasn't for it there would probably be no TON. Sure the Triple ocarina video (willy and hungarian dance) finalized many of our decision to get an ocarina but the game ocarina was the ocarina that got us interested in the ocarina in the first place. Therefore my vote is for OoT. Maybe in a couple decades it will not be OoT that make people start playing ocarinas, but for our time, our generation, it was and is the keystone of our journey towards playing the ocarina.
Offline Profile Goto Top

hugolino
Member Avatar
Inline Ocarinist x 4
I have never played Zelda in any form except for an open source project that I downloaded a few weeks ago that recreated the very first Zelda game... and I gave up on it fairly quickly.

What exposed me to ocarinas was Smule's Ocarina app for the iPhone. I was surfing on YouTube looking at iPhone videos of apps and I stumbled upon ones of Smule's app. I thought it was great. Viewing several Smule ocarina videos led me to many videos by Doc Jazz, and then later from Doc Jazz I discovered Kissing's videos. Finally, from there, I stumbled onto The Ocarina Network.

So which ocarina did I vote for? The in-game Zelda one, because whenever I search for ocarina performances on YouTube the genre of ocarina songs that seem most popular, based on comments, are the Zelda themes, and they are the ones that seem to attract people to ocarinas at this point, as far as I can tell. They have clearly been the most memorable and beneficial for promoting the ocarina.
Offline Profile Goto Top

OcarinaTycoon
Member Avatar
Amateur Ocarina Maker
Spencer's aesthetics are pure eye and ear candy, OOT's ocarina is the original Ocarina of Time replica, and Maparam's triple has great range within a compact space. Hmmm.. tough call.

EDIT: I placed my vote on Spencer because it's got such a similarity to the in-game one, and paved the way for others to make a replica in its image. It's got high demand, even though no one's seen it for a while as being sold. Plus it sounds awesome.
Edited by OcarinaTycoon, 3 Dec 2008, 09:10 PM.
Offline Profile Goto Top

Deckman
Member Avatar
Cosstropolitan
i honestly don't feel any of them is the best choice for "the most memorable and beneficial ocarina of our time". however, i had to vote for the maparam triple, as it comes far closer to what i would choose than either of the other two. maparam's triple brought the ocarina to its fullest potential; its playing range and tone bring it on par with just about any professional concert instrument. although aesthetically it doesn't particularly stand out, the sound this instrument is capable of, and the performances that have been done with it, make it among the most memorable ocarinas you will know.
Edited by Deckman, 4 Dec 2008, 12:11 AM.
Offline Profile Goto Top

Hunter
Member Avatar
Transverse Ocarinist
I voted for the OoT because, like many others, it is the reason I figured out about ocarinas.
Even though it may not have been the playable and only had 4 notes and to play it you had to push these annoying yellow buttons; It was probably the most beneficial ocarina I can think of.

EDIT: I feel like an Idiot, The OoT had 5 notes, The C buttons and A button.
Edited by Hunter, 4 Dec 2008, 02:11 AM.
Offline Profile Goto Top

Uniden
Member Avatar
Double Ocarinist
I gotta go with the Zelda one. Only because I owe that game my love for the ocarinas. I've always wanted something easy to hold, travel with, and sounded like a flute. And now I've found it :P . thanks to that game and my friend who told me they existed :D
Offline Profile Goto Top

ForestsRequiem
Member Avatar
Formerly Ocarinaman333

eeep! Maparam and in-game are tied with...uhmmm how long is this vote going for?

Vote Maparam
Offline Profile Goto Top

hugolino
Member Avatar
Inline Ocarinist x 4
Uniden
4 Dec 2008, 07:56 AM
I've always wanted something easy to hold, travel with, and sounded like a flute. And now I've found it :P
Similar sentiments here :)
Offline Profile Goto Top

OcJaeger
Member Avatar
Ambitious ocarina player
I voted for the fictional ocarina of time, because its the most memorable and the most benficial.

Though the Map Triple is awesome.....

Offline Profile Goto Top

Legal
Member Avatar
Ocarina Engineer
For me it has to be the Maparam Triple Ocarina. Watching Willy play that thing simply blew me away. I had been interested in playing when I was younger, but I never got around to purchasing one. I decided to wait a week, and if I was still interested I'd purchase one.

Honestly, though I'm just not very big into the Spencer replica. $400 for a 12 hole is not worth it to me, but I won't deny the coolness factor.

Offline Profile Goto Top

venomjack
Member Avatar
Beginner
i chose the triple for it's wide range but if it wasn't the vote i'd probably choose the ocarina of time :triple: :playoc:
Offline Profile Goto Top

gamidevil
Member Avatar
Pendant Ocarinist
i voted for the maparam becuase i'm not worried about how an ocarina looks but how it sounds,the spencer sounds anazing but i voted fore the :triple:
Offline Profile Goto Top

gamidevil
Member Avatar
Pendant Ocarinist
Legal
6 Dec 2008, 06:57 AM
For me it has to be the Maparam Triple Ocarina. Watching Willy play that thing simply blew me away. I had been interested in playing when I was younger, but I never got around to purchasing one. I decided to wait a week, and if I was still interested I'd purchase one.

Honestly, though I'm just not very big into the Spencer replica. $400 for a 12 hole is not worth it to me, but I won't deny the coolness factor.

i agree with you id'e much rather pay $400 for a hind
Offline Profile Goto Top

Fluganox
Member Avatar
A Skateboarding Ocarinist
I went for the Maparam. Simply for its musical capibilities, and the fact that MightyIceCream playing DragonForce on it XD.

Although, the Spencer has AMAZING craftsmanship and the OoT was the first game I truly fell in love with.

:triforce:
Offline Profile Goto Top

ForestsRequiem
Member Avatar
Formerly Ocarinaman333

Woot! go Maparam Triple(and Focalink Triple for that matter, I love Focalink's Triple(Don't have atm though))!

Now with a useful statement. When is the voting over?
Edited by ForestsRequiem, 10 Dec 2008, 12:07 AM.
Offline Profile Goto Top

Deleted User
Deleted User

I think I would be very sad if the Maparam Triple wins. It's not even on my wishlist :(
Goto Top

kissing
Member Avatar
tyrannical dictator

Bwa hahaha! Bow before the great Triple ocarina :lmao:
Offline Profile Goto Top

ForestsRequiem
Member Avatar
Formerly Ocarinaman333

kissing
10 Dec 2008, 01:53 AM
Bwa hahaha! Bow before the great Triple ocarina :lmao:
Yes! Bow to it's almighty power! Some like the Maparam, others like myself prefer the Focalink, both are epically awesome!

warning:spoiler contains religious views (I know that some people don't like me bring my religion into stuff xD) :D
Spoiler: click to toggle
Offline Profile Goto Top

speckles
Member Avatar
I’ve been hypnotized

Moonsyne
10 Dec 2008, 12:33 AM
I think I would be very sad if the Maparam Triple wins. It's not even on my wishlist :(
I want Spencer to win...

...but it isn't looking good right now.... :(
Offline Profile Goto Top

Deleted User
Deleted User

I do believe voting will close on the 16th.
Goto Top

MuteCivilian
Member Avatar
" "
Come on Spencer! We just need to double your votes in the next week while keeping Maparam from getting anymore.

I don't think it's going to happen :((
Offline Profile Goto Top

Tye Possum
Member Avatar
The wandering musician
Come on ocarina of time! You gotta win. Use your magic!
:link: ... :zelda: .... :chew: ......... :fly: Come on everybody play zeldas lulluby!
..... :ocarina: ..... :ocarina: ...... :ocarina:
Offline Profile Goto Top

Ocarina12
Member Avatar
legendary ocarina knight
Tye Possum

Come on ocarina of time! You gotta win. Use your magic!
:link: ... :zelda: .... :chew: ......... :fly: Come on everybody play zeldas lulluby!
..... :ocarina: ..... :ocarina: ...... :ocarina:

sadly the only thing that the ocarina of time can do at this point with it magic to win is play the song of time, bringing someone back to the first day of this contest then letting one individual remember everything and start a Ocarina of Time for ocarina 2008 thread so awesome that none dare vote anything else then the ocarina of time in this thread or if 10 more Zelda fans vote for the ocarina of time well no one else votes for maparam. In other words, it chances of winning is very very slim. :(

edit: added the quote from tye possum
Edited by Ocarina12, 10 Dec 2008, 05:12 PM.
Offline Profile Goto Top

zeldanerd0822
Transverse Ocarinist x 2
spencer zelda is my vote
Offline Profile Goto Top

OcJaeger
Member Avatar
Ambitious ocarina player
Oh I didnīt posted here yet.

My vote goes for the ingame ocarina of time.
I donīt think that I have to explain why it is the most memorable ocarina for me.
And its the most beneficial because its the most famous and brought/brings many people to the world of ocarinas.
Offline Profile Goto Top

BlessedMeWithHisFire
Member Avatar
The one and only
The Maparam is the ocarina that shows people what this instrument can do but I voted for OOT because that is the most remebered ocarina. When you first found out about the ocarina you were probably looking for other zelda stuff and then you see a that ocarina are real and knew you had to have one. Saying that this also makes it the most beneficial since this is how a lot of people found out about this intrument. I loved the songs that were on OOT and I wished I could play them and then when I first found the ocarina I was so happy.

Once again the Ocarina Of Time is the most memorable and benificial ocarina of our generation.
Offline Profile Goto Top

Ocarinaer
Member Avatar
The Senior Intern
I don't think the Spencer Replica will win :giveup:
:fly: c'mon and vote for Spencer! :fly:

I dunno, BMWHF, there is just something about a fictional ocarina as the best ocarina voted in... hmmm.... :shrug:
Offline Profile Goto Top

orange
Inline Ocarinist x 2
Spencer's ocarinas are incredible sounding and looking, and the OoT itself is probably the most memorable ocarina throughout at least the US (and other place where the ocarina was unknown prior to LoZ: OoT's release).

However, I had to go with Maparam's Triple Ocarina (really, any triple ocarina of quality), because it demonstrates the capabilities of an ocarina as a versatile and fully fledged concert instrument. This really matters to me, since one of my major goals in terms of ocarinas is to raise awareness and show people just what it can do, and range is almost necessary where I live (long live critics and cynics? D= ).
Offline Profile Goto Top

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you
« Previous Topic · FrontPage News and Official Announcements · Next Topic »
Poll Only

Find us on Twitter • Facebook | Read the FAQ