Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

- News Ticker

Donations - Please consider donating to The Ocarina Network to keep us afloat. More detail can be found in this topic.
The Ocarina Network - Serving the ocarina community since April 27th 2008
Welcome to The Ocarina Network, a place for ocarina enthusiasts from all around the globe!

You're currently viewing The Ocarina Network as a guest.

If you join The Ocarina Network, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customising your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. On top of that we have a great number of music scores and backtracks for you to download.

Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Register at The Ocarina Network!

If you're already a member please log into your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
  • Pages:
Custom Painted Focalinks; Directory of work and prices
Topic Started: 19 Oct 2008, 11:07 AM (36,660 Views)
DeepRed
Member Avatar
Taking a break from Signature requests
Okay, this is where people can submit their pics of custom-painted or -glazed focalink ocarinas. All new photos will be added to this first post to make a directory. Also if you can, submit the extra cost of each custom job.

This thread is intended as a reference source for anyone wanting a custom Focalink.

Here people can also discuss their designs, ideas, ask questions, anything!
Okay! Who wants to be the first into the files of the Glamorous Ocs Club? :)

PHOTOS:

SWEET POTATO/ TRANSVERSE:

:ocarina: Matte-black glazed 12H AC-A From Penumbra
Cost: +10 US$
LINK

:ocarina: Ant design 12SG-A From OcJaeger
Cost: +7 US$
LINK

:ocarina: Special Sand Clay 12H AC-A from Zipcat
Cost: $74(standard painted price) +$10 for special clay
LINK
(prototype)
LINK

:ocarina: Wolf design 12 AC from DeepRed
Cost: $67, +$20 (due to high accuaracy of image replication requested)
LINK

PENDANTS:

:pendant:Pendants (not custom but a nice indicator of painting skills) From Moonsyne
LINK

:pendant:Ying/Yang Pendant: from Goatmon:
LINK

Edited by DeepRed, 18 Jan 2009, 11:38 AM.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

OcJaeger
Member Avatar
Ambitious ocarina player
Ok here is my Ant-Ocarina. Its an 12SG-A and cost 7 USD more.

The Link:
Spoiler: click to toggle

I also have ordered a few hand-painted pendants, and I have pics of them, but only how they SHOULD look like. Since every one is unique, i want to make my own pics when they arrive.

(Maybe when we have multiple paintings from one type of ocarina, you could put them in one Spoiler. I think that would be more clearly arranged)

Deleted User
Deleted User

While my pendants are not custom ordered, they are hand painted.
I think they would make a nice reference for future custom orders.

Quote Post Goto Top

DeepRed
Member Avatar
Nice pendants, Moonsyne! Submissions added to first post.

Myung
Member Avatar
= Mighty Mohawkus =
I think this topic deserves a pin^^

Let's hope we get a nice and big directory going :D

DeepRed
Member Avatar
Yay! Pinned! I hope we get lots of fab pics :)
I can't wait to add my wolfie one when it's done :)

Penumbra
Member Avatar
Volitophile
Here's my custom Focalink 12AC-A model. It was custom glazed in matte black for USD 10.00 added to the original price of USD 67.00. The total cost with shipping was USD 101.00

DeepRed
Member Avatar
Thanks! Adding now. I can't seem to add more spoilers, so I'll re-do the list as a list of links.

shadowyi
Member Avatar
dysfunctional family
Wonderful idea! Deepred you rock. :D I really like Moonsyne's pendants.. hmm. Now I've got the desire to pick up a few pendants..

MuteCivilian
Member Avatar
" "
OcJaeger, your ant ocarina still creeps me out every time I see it. The thought of touching it send shivers up my arm. :rofl:

DeepRed
Member Avatar
Zipcat's special clay 12H now added, plus prototype :)

Sylpharios
Member Avatar
Inline Ocarinist x 3
I'm not sure where this go, but this seems like the right place to ask:

How long does it take Focalink to complete a custom paint job? 7 days? 2 weeks? 1 month?

DeepRed
Member Avatar
I emailed my design to Mr Shih about a week ago, he wrote write back to say his painting team were going to apply it to a few ocs, then he'd email me when they'd finished one to a satisfactory degree. Maybe another week or two to go. It might be faster for some folks, doing a design they're used to, like flowers or somesuch...but since my design is very different and I asked for a high degree of accuracy in it's replication, it might take a little longer.

SecretTacoNinja
Member Avatar
Tacos and Ninjas rule, hence the name.
Do you think they could put a little design on a Triple? Maybe a wolf or something...

Graustein
Member Avatar
Beginner
Possibly stupid question: How do I go about actually getting custom patterns on them? Do I email them and request it or is there some form on their website that I haven't been able to find?
I'm looking for my first ocarina and I decided on getting a 12hole alto, and I want to get a Mr. Saturn print on it, given how much of a massive EarthBound nerd I am.

Deleted User
Deleted User

You contact through e-mail.
Quote Post Goto Top

DeepRed
Member Avatar
Email Mr Shih with a description, preferably a clear drawing or picture, of the design you want. They hand paint the pictures, I'm not sure if they can print pictures onto the glaze but it doesn't hurt to ask :)

I created a picture of my oc design in photoshop- using a pic from his website with my own design added, so the order was as clear as possible. I also added a detailed close-up of the wolf.

He says his team are still working on prototypes. :)
Edited by DeepRed, 1 Nov 2008, 11:16 PM.

DeepRed
Member Avatar
Oh my gosh oh my gosh oh my gosh!! Zach just emailed me a photo of the finished wolf ocarina for my sis! It's awesome! I can't wait until it arrives!!! He also told me there's a special offer on the new book & CD- buy it with and Alto ocarina and you get it for $9.50! So I've ordered that too, along with my *long awaited* Double Alto C!!

The estra cost for the painted Alto was $20 instead of $10, as he said they had to paint several ocarinas to get one that came out right. I wonder what happens to those other ones...?Maybe he can sell them locally, would be a shame to waste them!

Here's the pic he sent me, the design (for comparison) is in my post above this one.

Deleted User
Deleted User

Howl-a-rific!
Quote Post Goto Top

DeepRed
Member Avatar
"fangs' for the comment! :P Hehe cheesy puns ahoy! :D

MuteCivilian
Member Avatar
" "
Wow Deepred, your sister's going to love that! It's almost indistinguishable from the photoshop design you sent them.

They probably messed up the moon on the other ones. If you don't paint it round enough the wolf turns back into a human.

Sylpharios
Member Avatar
Inline Ocarinist x 3
Mr. Zack also e-mailed me my custom orders this morning. I'm very happy with two out of three, but the Alto C could have been better if the stem was longer. It felt lacking, somehow otherwise. I think they did a phenomenal job on the cherry blossom Soprano C 6 hole rain drop though.

Edited by Sylpharios, 14 Nov 2008, 03:38 PM.

MuteCivilian
Member Avatar
" "
Sylpharios, that pendant is really pretty. The butterflies on all three is a nice touch.

Tye Possum
Member Avatar
The wandering musician
Cool. Those hand painted ones sure are pretty, especially the pendant. And that wolf one is wicked. I'm sure your sister with be really surprised! :excited:

Deleted User
Deleted User

I'm a big fan of the cherry blossoms on the pendant.
Quote Post Goto Top

ForestsRequiem
Member Avatar
Formerly Ocarinaman333

@Deepred, That Oc looks AWESOME! And I'm sure your sis will love it (and you will love your Double AC!)

@Sylpharios, Those all look great! I can appreciate your comment about the stem. But it is still gorgeous IMO.

Sylpharios
Member Avatar
Inline Ocarinist x 3
@Moonsyne I agree. I think that was the prettiest hand-painted cheery blossoms I've ever seen.

Deleted User
Deleted User

You need to add your finished custom to the list, Red.
Quote Post Goto Top

DeepRed
Member Avatar
Oh yeah... whoops!

Angelodeath
Member Avatar
Is the Immortal Technique
Would Mr. Shih make me an alto c replica of the original Ocarina of Time? you know with a gray band and Triforce symbol?

DeepRed
Member Avatar
Well that's a different kettle of fish entirely from just glazing or painting, since it actually involves modifying the ocarina itself. It would probably be a lot more expensive too.
A minor mod would be just adding the collar to the mouthpiece, major would involve remodelling the whole oc so it would have the 'torpedo' shape of the OoT....
If Focalink ever made a Zelda oc, they'd make a killing though :D

All you can do is email Zack Shih and see what he says! Best of luck!

Tye Possum
Member Avatar
The wandering musician
Hey DeepRed I was just wondering, that wolf ocarina was a christmas present for your sister right? So did she like it or what? I'd imagine she did but just askin anyways.

DeepRed
Member Avatar
Oh yeah she did! She absolutely loved it to bits :) She said she'll be joining TON soon and wants me to teach her to play :)

Tye Possum
Member Avatar
The wandering musician
Well that's good to hear. And another member joining TON can't hurt either!

Ocarinadiva
Member Avatar
Play what makes you happy. - Achint

Wow, I love the cherry blossom pendant. I've been thinking about having a custom pendant with my cat painted on it. He hangs out with me when I play ocarina, so it seems appropriate. Can the Focalink artists use a photograph to replicate a design, or would I need to draw a picture of him?

kashu_okami
Member Avatar
Inline Ocarinist
When I placed my order, I gave Mr. Shih a picture I found on the web and asked if he could paint it onto my ocarina. Mr. Shih warned me that he couldn't make it as vivid or detailed as the photo, but I think it came out quite well. I don't have a file hosting account, and I don't know the code to put the pictures into a spoiler tag, so I attached the photo of my ocarina and the picture the design is based on to the post. And yes, I did ask him to change the color.
Attached to this post:
Attachments: mountain_lily.jpg (84.14 KB)
Attachments: focalink_12_hole_custom.jpg (158.29 KB)
Edited by kashu_okami, 12 Feb 2009, 09:20 AM.

Armisis
Member Avatar
Paradoxical Enigma

Wow Thats quite nice!!!

Tye Possum
Member Avatar
The wandering musician
Ocarinadiva

I've been thinking about having a custom pendant with my cat painted on it. He hangs out with me when I play ocarina, so it seems appropriate.
Is it the cat on your avatar? That would be pretty cool if it was lol. That flower oc looks pretty nice, I was thinking about getting a custom painted oc but I think I'd prefer some sort of basic oc instead, much like the one I already have, which saves my some cash eh? lol

SillyJonna
Member Avatar
Rhymes with iguana
kashu_okami
11 Feb 2009, 12:35 PM
I don't have a file hosting account, and I don't know the code to put the pictures into a spoiler tag, so I attached the photo of my ocarina and the picture the design is based on to the post.
Where is the photo of your ocarina? I'd love to see it, but I only see the photo of the flower attached to your post.

kashu_okami
Member Avatar
Inline Ocarinist
Sorry, I think the photo was too large. I played with the image a bit, so it should be within the size limit now.

Ocarinadiva
Member Avatar
Play what makes you happy. - Achint

Thanks, kashu_okami - that's exactly what I needed to know!

Toshi
Member Avatar
Head in the clouds
This was brought up before, but...
Do you think that Focalink would do custom doubles or triples?
I notice that all the 12-holes that were custom-ordered had the same "basic" look, and someone painted and glazed over it.
The doubles and triples they have are all that brownish color (Which is fine), but I always wanted something with a little more personality. :shrug:

sirhalos
Member Avatar

Toshi95
4 Mar 2009, 10:01 PM
This was brought up before, but...
Do you think that Focalink would do custom doubles or triples?
I notice that all the 12-holes that were custom-ordered had the same "basic" look, and someone painted and glazed over it.
The doubles and triples they have are all that brownish color (Which is fine), but I always wanted something with a little more personality. :shrug:
Simple answer. Yes they will.

Remember that it will take longer since they need to do many samples and depending on how complicated the design is the longer you will have to wait. There will be an extra cost involved most likely as well but not always depending also what you are asking.

I have asked in email to them about doing a Chinese Print design on a Forte Triple and they would but the wait is very long. I finally decided on just matte white which also has a wait. I didn't realize how much work is involved in them making sure it is just perfect and how many samples they will make to make sure it is perfect before selling and shipping. You must respect their work as a craftsman.

Armisis
Member Avatar
Paradoxical Enigma

Ok, Just ordered my Focalink Forte Triple in Matte Black, should have it in about a week or so. Cant wait!

Dave

S.H.O.D.A.N.
Member Avatar
Double Ocarinist x 5
not sure if this already came up, but what kind of paint do you use for this.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · Pictures · Next Topic »
Add Reply
  • Pages:

Find us on Twitter Facebook | Read the FAQ