Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

- News Ticker

Donations - Please consider donating to The Ocarina Network to keep us afloat. More detail can be found in this topic. ē
The Ocarina Network - Serving the ocarina community since April 27th 2008
Welcome to The Ocarina Network, a place for ocarina enthusiasts from all around the globe!

You're currently viewing The Ocarina Network as a guest.

If you join The Ocarina Network, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customising your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. On top of that we have a great number of music scores and backtracks for you to download.

Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Register at The Ocarina Network!

If you're already a member please log into your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
  • Pages:
Tutorial 1 ~ Molds; Make an ocarina mold with Panch!
Topic Started: 16 Aug 2008, 08:02 PM (17,656 Views)
Panch
Member Avatar
The Whistlemaker

My first tutorial isn't much of one, really. This is the first time I've ever made molds of this type, and I will take photos to post here with narration, so that other ocarina makers can follow my technique!

This is a method of creating aligned molds which can be used as slip-casting molds with neccessary modifications!

PROS:
- It is perfectly aligned. When you press rolled clay into this mold, you won't have to dig them out to hand-join the halves. Instead, you press the molds together! Using a regular, unaligned push-mold and joining them by hand puts you at risk of bumping the ocarina out of shape! This can be harmful to your ocarinas appearance and even worse for your tuning!
- With some modification, you can make this into a slip-casting mold! To use this kind of mold, clay slip is poured in, filling the mold completely. As the plaster draws out the slip, it creates a hollow in the middle of the form, making them perfect for ocarinas!
- You save a LOT of time making ocarinas with this mold!

CONS:
- They are a LOT harder to make...

Now, lets get started! ^^

Requirements:
- Clay
- Flexible cardboard
- Sticky/Masking tape
- Smooth surface to work on
- Knife (I used a boxcutter)
- Plaster
- Oil

*WARNING! NOT AS EASY OR QUICK AS IT LOOKS!*

Everyone ready? Great! ^^

You may or may not notice, but even though it looks as though I'm working on the carpet, I'm actually doing my stuff on a glass sheet OVER carpet. Use a smooth surface, guys. You'll be happier people.

First, I started to make the shape of my ocarina from clay! Make it larger than the size of what you want your end result to be (check shrinkage percentages of your clay to estimate)! Take care in making this... this is what all your ocarinas from this mold will look like!
Posted Image

Sit your ocarina so that it's centerpoint runs horizontally! I used a clay platform to help it get steady. Make sure that it's as perfectly positioned as possible!
Posted Image

Now, CAREFULLY make clay walls around it. It's edges touching the ocarina body itself without denting it! This is a really hard part! Make sure the clay walls only go up halfway the ocarina, touching it's widest point, otherwise you'll have trouble getting it out of the mold! I used a knife to make the walls as flat on top as I can.
Posted Image

Now, I've taken some sheets of bendy cardboard from tissue-boxes (only time I've ever been glad I had a cold) and taped them together! I wrap this around the clay walls, and I use lumps of clay on the outside to put weight on the cardboard, keeping the card against the clay walls. This should be as airtight as you can get it, but really be careful about your ocarina shape!
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image
Please note that in that last picture, there should be NO gap there!

In the next stage you simply prepare your plaster then pour it! No biggie, right?
Posted Image

Wait extremely impatiently for your plaster to dry. Methods for prolonging time include:
- Staring at your mold as it dries.
- Counting seconds on your watch.
- Refusing to allow anything else enter your mind as you wait.
... It makes it more rewarding in the end! ^^
Once it dries, unwrap it (gosh, feels like Christmas!) and carefully cut groves in your ocarina mold from various angles! BE CAREFUL TO NOT KILL OCARINA!
Posted ImagePosted Image

After this, paint the ocarina-side of the mold with a coat of oil, then put some cardboard walls around it again, with the ocarina facing up! Be sure to apply the oil! After your walls are secured, pour in the plaster.
The oil keeps the two layers of plaster separate, and so they come apart once the top half dries!
Posted ImagePosted Image

It's ugly now, but once it's cured, you can carve off the cardboard bits, etc. ^^
Leave it for a few days before using it. I used my molds of the past immediately, but apparantly it's not good for the mold. o.o
Personally, it's never harmed my work, but hey! You gotta listen to the masters, right?

-

CONGRATS! You now have a fully-functional and aligned plaster mold, just like the pros use! ^^
It doesn't look flashy, but if there's one thing to remember about ocarina making, it's NEVER judge a book by it's cover. This baby will help me SO much in the future! Hopefully I've been a help to you, too!
Posted ImagePosted Image

Thanks so much for reading!
Comments will be a great help! Ask questions, tell me how yours turn out, give feedback... whatever! ^^

Until next time, stay safe!

-Panch
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

stevtomato
Member Avatar
The Splattered Tomato

Yay, of course I like it. Although I don't make ocarinas, some people here do and this is going to encourage them :D

Make double plz kthxbai!

Deleted User
Deleted User

I enjoyed viewing the process.
Quote Post Goto Top

kissing
Member Avatar
tyrannical dictator

Wow... this seems very professional!

I don't make ocarinas, but this sure makes me look forward to Panch ocarinas! :D
Knowing the dedication and innovations that went into their creation!

ForestsRequiem
Member Avatar
Formerly Ocarinaman333

Wow...I finally got a chance to read through this, and I must say that it is a billiant technique! Can you give us a best way to use the mold quickie tutorial? I know, I bombard you with questions :shy: ! But hey, if you weren't so good at this, you wouldn't get my questions :thumbsup: !

bluebell
Member Avatar
Compulsive collector
ditto. how do we use it...... :)

Panch
Member Avatar
The Whistlemaker

ForestsRequiem
4 Sep 2008, 02:56 AM
Wow...I finally got a chance to read through this, and I must say that it is a billiant technique! Can you give us a best way to use the mold quickie tutorial? I know, I bombard you with questions :shy: ! But hey, if you weren't so good at this, you wouldn't get my questions :thumbsup: !
I'll post a tutorial on how to use the mold soon!

speckles
Member Avatar
Iíve been hypnotized

I just finished making one like that, just for the heck of it, but it is much smaller. It didn't turn out as nice as yours. Mine is utterly hideous-looking. My cats hiss at it. :(
Edited by speckles, 4 Sep 2008, 10:49 AM.

Panch
Member Avatar
The Whistlemaker

speckles
4 Sep 2008, 10:47 AM
I just finished making one like that, just for the heck of it, but it is much smaller. It didn't turn out as nice as yours. Mine is utterly hideous-looking. My cats hiss at it. :(
Awr, no! What went wrong? Why don't you post photos up here on this topic?

speckles
Member Avatar
Iíve been hypnotized

Panchi-tiger
5 Sep 2008, 01:08 AM
Awr, no! What went wrong? Why don't you post photos up here on this topic?
Pretty rough and awful. I used clay for the walls of the mold. Easier to remove, but that wouldn't work for a larger mold because of the weight of the liquid plaster.
Posted Image

Posted Image

Panch
Member Avatar
The Whistlemaker

speckles
6 Sep 2008, 07:33 AM
Pretty rough and awful.
What are you talking about!? Thats fantastic!
I wouldn't have put that part with the sound hole there, but the mold is brilliant! It would make some beautiful ocarinas, I bet!

I certainly am glad I've helped someone someHOW. XD
Unless you already knew how to do it. o.o

If you ever make ocarinas from them, please post pics!

speckles
Member Avatar
Iíve been hypnotized

Panchi-tiger

Thats fantastic!
Thsnks! :D :excited:
Panchi-tiger

I certainly am glad I've helped someone someHOW. XD
Unless you already knew how to do it. o.o
I've made VERY SIMPLE one piece push molds before, but never tried this "keyed" type. Your tutorial made me want to try it. :D

Panch
Member Avatar
The Whistlemaker

speckles
6 Sep 2008, 10:57 AM
I've made VERY SIMPLE one piece push molds before, but never tried this "keyed" type. Your tutorial made me want to try it. :D
Well I'm so glad I inspired you! Gosh, I wish this has some sort of rating system like youTube... 5 stars for your mold, mate!
Be sure to post pics of ocarinas you make from it! I bet they'd be beautiful! Just remember to leave them for a little while, because they can be dented so easily right after pulling out of the mold.

speckles
Member Avatar
Iíve been hypnotized

Panchi-tiger

I'm so glad I inspired you! Gosh, I wish this has some sort of rating system like youTube... 5 stars for your mold, mate!
Thanks so much!! :D :excited:
Panchi-tiger

Be sure to post pics of ocarinas you make from it! I bet they'd be beautiful! Just remember to leave them for a little while, because they can be dented so easily right after pulling out of the mold.
Thanks! :D I don't think I'll be making any ocs with this mold...it's kind of small. This was the first time I'd tried making this type of mold, so I made it small, as a test.

Panch
Member Avatar
The Whistlemaker

speckles
7 Sep 2008, 06:21 PM
I don't think I'll be making any ocs with this mold...it's kind of small. This was the first time I'd tried making this type of mold, so I made it small, as a test.

Awr! It would've made an adorable soprano... >:

mikasaka
Member Avatar
Inline Ocarinist x 3
Wow thats awesome!

Wouldn't mind having a go myself, if I can find a kiln that is local :D

Keep up the great work~!

Edit: I need to learn to read other comments :rofl: !
Edited by mikasaka, 28 Sep 2008, 11:50 PM.

speckles
Member Avatar
Iíve been hypnotized

I had an EPIC FAIL the other day. :( Because of Panch's kind comments about my small 2-piece mold, I thought I'd try and make a bigger one.
Oh, my...
I made my solid clay ocarina form, buried it halfway in clay (see Panch's tutorial above) and wrapped a strip of sheet vinyl around it to contain the liquid plaster. (Panch used cardboard from tissue-boxes, just so you'll know what I'm referring to.) I used large lumps and fat coils of clay to hold the vinyl walls in place at the bottom, and to prevent plaster leaks, just in case. This whole construct was sitting in a plastic-lined box, just in case there was a leak. I've made single-piece molds before without a hitch, and wasn't anticipating any trouble of this kind.
I pored the plaster in this "Mold box." I was paying so much attention to not splashing the plaster and creating bubbles that I didn't notice that there was a major problem - there was a MASSIVE leak, and plaster was starting to overflow the containment box. The liquid plaster was a white waterfall, cascading on to the floor!!! Luckily, I had a plastic lined trash can close at hand that I was able to use to catch most of the mess. I'm SO glad I hadn't been working over a carpeted floor.
I had lumps of moist clay handy, just for the purpose of stopping such leaks, but with a pool of plaster surrounding the base of the sheet vinyl mold wall, I couldn't see where it was. I had to wait for the plaster to harden.
I was unwilling to give up on my mold, and since the plaster had hardened and sealed the leak, I continued. This first half of the mold needed to have more plaster added to it - it had lost most of it from the leak. Although not ideal, additional plaster can be added over already-hardened plaster. So I did just that - and this part of the mold ended up way too thick and heavy. The other half turned out fine, though. Still, a lot of plaster was wasted, and I had a big mess to clean up.

When I unwrapped the mold, I found that the vinyl hall had hitched up and broken the seal of the clay holding it in place. There was a lot of excess plaster to clean off the mold. :( :bomb: :bomb: :bomb:

Kalin5513
Member Avatar
Oca-Rocker - Don't mess with me, I'm Pro. 0_0
so.. a couple of questions...

I made my first ocarina body today. it looks appealing to me, but its not nearly as rounded as it probably could be. I have it stored in my fridge right now in a plastic bag, and will probably work on it again in the next coming days. Any tips on making it seem more rounder?

Also, i'll probably keep the clay body in the fridge until I make the plaster mold out of it.. what should I do with the clay body after the molding process?

The rest of my clay i have tried to get the air out of the bag, and I store it under my bed. Is that a good place to store my unused clay?

speckles
Member Avatar
Iíve been hypnotized

Kalin5513

I made my first ocarina body today. it looks appealing to me, but its not nearly as rounded as it probably could be. I have it stored in my fridge right now in a plastic bag, and will probably work on it again in the next coming days. Any tips on making it seem more rounder?

I'm not Panch, but I can tell you this much - ocarinas come in varying shapes - some not as round as others, but they work anyway. If you like the shape of the one you've made it is probably fine. If you want to make it rounder, add more clay to fatten it up and them smooth the added clay.

You don't need to store your ocarina body in the refrigerator -this just makes the clay cold. Double-bagging it will do better to keep the clay workable. If you want to store it for a long time, check it every few days, and give it a misting with a water bottle if it appears to b drying too much.
Kalin5513

what should I do with the clay body after the molding process?

Save the clay if you plan on making another mold, but store it separately from you other clay. Any clay that has come in contact with plaster cannot be used to make objects that will be fired. Bits of plaster that are trapped in fired clay will in time absorb water and expand, cracking or breaking the clay. This "plaster clay", if kept moist, may be used again and again for making molds.

Kalin5513

The rest of my clay i have tried to get the air out of the bag, and I store it under my bed. Is that a good place to store my unused clay?

Yes. Mist it, double-bag it and check it every week or so..

bluebell
Member Avatar
Compulsive collector
thanks for the extra info speckles. was thinking a lot of the same stuff, and i would ahve just popped the mold clay back in with the rest :-/

Kalin5513
Member Avatar
Oca-Rocker - Don't mess with me, I'm Pro. 0_0
thanks speckles :D That was a lot of help! I'll post pictures asap

OcarinaTycoon
Member Avatar
Amateur Ocarina Maker
Wow, a slip-casting mold made of plaster! This is something I would definitely like to try one day. Thanks for posting this picture tutorial, Panchi-tiger!

Panch
Member Avatar
The Whistlemaker

OcarinaTycoon
6 Oct 2008, 06:50 AM
Wow, a slip-casting mold made of plaster! This is something I would definitely like to try one day. Thanks for posting this picture tutorial, Panchi-tiger!
Glad to know I've inspired you! This isn't a slip-casting mold yet, as they have a hole to pour in the slip. This is more like an aligned push-mold that you can use to press the two halves firmly together. You can MODIFY it to a slip-casting mold, though! ^^

Be sure to post the results if you ever make one! I'd love to see! ^^

OcarinaTycoon
Member Avatar
Amateur Ocarina Maker
Panchi-tiger
14 Oct 2008, 02:58 PM
Be sure to post the results if you ever make one! I'd love to see! ^^
I sure will dude. If I can get any money from selling ocs, first and foremost.

ForestsRequiem
Member Avatar
Formerly Ocarinaman333

Since I am getting slay from school soon I will probably buy some plaster to make a mold from one of my first bodies so I can work on the voicing and making the ocarinas sound good :D

David F.
Will make ocarinas for food!

great! i have my mold ready just been experimenting with it! cant wait for the new tut!

captinofcats
Member Avatar
leader of the cats
I have a question about the ocarina shape you use to make the plaster mold. Should it be semi dried? completely dried? or should it still be wet clay? Does this make a difference as far as being able to remove it from the plaster? I was thinking if it was a completely dried shape it would be easier not to damage it when you are removing it from the hardened cast but I could be wrong.

Also another question, I know you mentioned you have only used stoneware so far and have had great results. Is there a specific brand or are most stoneware clays pretty much the same. Where do you get your clay? I know you live in AUS so it probably wouldn't help me much, but I doubt they have the kind of clay I need at say Micheal's here in the California.

speckles
Member Avatar
Iíve been hypnotized

The clay model must still be damp, soft enough so that it will bend without difficuly. You don't want it "sloppy," though. It needs to be flexible enough to be peeled out of the plaster once the plaster has hardened up. If you use dried-out cly, it is more difficult to remove, and the plaster could be damaged.
I am a fan of Laguna clay, and have used some of their stoneware clays. They have mid-range stoneware (cones 5-6) and high-fie (cone 10+) The midrange stonewarea are often used more by potters because of the energy savings with the lower firing temperatures. Try to avoid clays with a very rough texture (with grog or sand that is 30 mesh or lower.) 60 mesh sand or grog is finer, and gives the clay a nice texture. :)
Here is a list of
Laguna Distributos. There ar a lot of them in Califorina. :)

captinofcats
Member Avatar
leader of the cats
speckles
21 Apr 2009, 12:48 AM
The clay model must still be damp, soft enough so that it will bend without difficuly. You don't want it "sloppy," though. It needs to be flexible enough to be peeled out of the plaster once the plaster has hardened up. If you use dried-out cly, it is more difficult to remove, and the plaster could be damaged.
I am a fan of Laguna clay, and have used some of their stoneware clays. They have mid-range stoneware (cones 5-6) and high-fie (cone 10+) The midrange stonewarea are often used more by potters because of the energy savings with the lower firing temperatures. Try to avoid clays with a very rough texture (with grog or sand that is 30 mesh or lower.) 60 mesh sand or grog is finer, and gives the clay a nice texture. :)
Here is a list of
Laguna Distributos. There ar a lot of them in Califorina. :)
Thanks a lot for the advice! That clears some things up for me thank you.

One more thing though. As far as the metal slot rod thing, will a needle file work? It is the only thing I have found that kinda resembles what Panch used to make the voicing etc.

Posted Image

speckles
Member Avatar
Iíve been hypnotized

captinofcats
21 Apr 2009, 01:28 AM
One more thing though. As far as the metal slot rod thing, will a needle file work? It is the only thing I have found that kinda resembles what Panch used to make the voicing etc.

Posted Image
The windway "stick" has to be thin, (no thicker than a credit card, maybe even thinner), and as wide as your sound hole is going to be. Some people use thin strips of metal. Janet Moniot (author of the "Clay Whistles" bok) uses bamboo tines from a garden leaf rake that she tapers at one end. I've seen ice cream bar sticks tapered at one end and used in this way, too. (I haven't had much luck filing these down - I'm not very handy) :( Lanea favors wood windway sticks, and has a very good photo of ones he's made.

LINK
LINK
LINK

Urak
Pendant Ocarinist
Sorry for this question, as I know at least someone reading it will do a facepalm, but....
I'm not 100% sure on the specifics of *using* this mold: Specifically, when you press the clay into the mold, do you cut the excess clay flush with the mold before you press them together?
Or do you do that, then score the edges of the clay and add slip, THEN press the two halves together?
OR do you leave excess clay, smush em together, and that clay seeps outwards from the sides?

Just curious, as I've only been able to make English Pendants so far, because my sweet potatoes just collapse on themselves, so I'm hoping that I'll have better luck with this ^_^;;

Thanks ^_^
-Urak

Adam
Triple Ocarinist x 4
. . .
Edited by Adam, 27 Jun 2016, 05:37 PM.

King Ocarina
Member Avatar
Pťre Poches DrŰles
I wonder if using a smooth plastic storage container would work better

speckles
Member Avatar
Iíve been hypnotized

kingocarina
4 Jun 2009, 09:12 AM
I wonder if using a smooth plastic storage container would work better
Panch did use plastic containers when he made his first molds. old OU topic The two pieces of this mold didn't have "keys" that held them in alignment like the one demonstrated above on this topic.

I have used plastic containers, too. They work well - plaster does not stick to plastic or moist clay, so no release medium is needed. The bottom of the container should be flat, and the sides need to flare out some so the mold can be removed easily.

David F.

Quote:

Panch did use plastic containers when he made his first molds. old OU topic The two pieces of this mold didn't have "keys" that held them in alignment like the one demonstrated above on this topic.

:? hmm i did not know this! i was wondering how he made thos e square molds so niceley ima going to look into making one like this my last one gave out wen i tryd using it before it was fully dry! =( :shakefist:
i will try and post sum fliks soon! as im done also im thinking of giving away one of my prototypes to sumwone here on :TON: but i dunno to who or how to decide??

speckles
Member Avatar
Iíve been hypnotized

DAVIDxRULEZ
5 Jun 2009, 04:06 AM
my last one gave out wen i tryd using it before it was fully dry! =( :shakefist:
For a mold to work its best, it should be completely dry. if it is still damp. the clay won't release as easily.

David F.

yea i had to learn that the hard way! but hey just another step to a better ocarina

killbob234
Member Avatar
The Pied Piper
You have to post more tutorials like this!

King Ocarina
Member Avatar
Pťre Poches DrŰles
i recently discovered a MUCH better technique for preparing the clay a few days ago that I think is so much easier...... use cheap, low-grade flour..... it's inexpensive, easier to work than clay, can be smoothed to PERFECTION, and doesn't stick to the plaster!

Angelodeath
Member Avatar
Is the Immortal Technique
How kingocarina? How do you use it?

megaton624
Member Avatar
Beginner
can you use slip instead of plaster?

meepy
Member Avatar
Pendant Ocarinist x 2
Somebody should make a high quality youtube tutorial, I would so check that out!!! =D

HieronRemade
Member Avatar
Defender of Hyrule
kingocarina
9 Jul 2009, 11:29 AM
i recently discovered a MUCH better technique for preparing the clay a few days ago that I think is so much easier...... use cheap, low-grade flour..... it's inexpensive, easier to work than clay, can be smoothed to PERFECTION, and doesn't stick to the plaster!
Wait are you saying you make the ocarina body out of moistened flour, like dough?

Loaves of bread shaped like ocarinas...oh yah.

David F.

Here are my molds So far

This is my first one i only have the bottom half because the top half gave out wen i used it before it was fully dry! =(

Mold Number 1

This is mold number 3 i used some Tupperware type molds i really dont like these ther big unalined
and heavy, i threw out my second set of molds because they were unsuccessful and proved unusefull

Mold Number 3

And my newest molds, these i made yesterday and ther still drying!! !
I want to use em now!! but i dont want a repeat of what happen before! so yea

mold Number 4

Abreu
Member Avatar
The guy from Brazil

I wish I could try creating a mold... but the simple thought of clay or plaster in my house is enougth to let my mom pissed...

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
ZetaBoards - Free Forum Hosting
Free Forums with no limits on posts or members.
Learn More · Register Now
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · Ocarina Making · Next Topic »
Add Reply
  • Pages:

Find us on Twitter ē Facebook | Read the FAQ