Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

- News Ticker

Donations - Please consider donating to The Ocarina Network to keep us afloat. More detail can be found in this topic.
The Ocarina Network - Serving the ocarina community since April 27th 2008
Welcome to The Ocarina Network, a place for ocarina enthusiasts from all around the globe!

You're currently viewing The Ocarina Network as a guest.

If you join The Ocarina Network, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customising your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. On top of that we have a great number of music scores and backtracks for you to download.

Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Register at The Ocarina Network!

If you're already a member please log into your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
  • Pages:
Gosselink; French ocarina maker.
Topic Started: 27 Jul 2008, 05:36 AM (21,677 Views)
Jack Campin
Member Avatar
Opener of Catfood Tins

Newish Gosselink video, of his triple bird ocarina:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E-xU6hEEFT4
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Mark Chan
Member Avatar

Wow! That is amazing! It has such a beautiful sound!

Jubal
Member Avatar
Tree Hugger - Food is your right

I've always liked the sound of his triple birds.

Jack Campin
Member Avatar
Opener of Catfood Tins

I know some people here have visited Gosselink in person. Is there any public transport to his village from Lyon? I'm thinking of visiting the south of France next year and it might be nice to pick up one of his ocarinas at the start of the trip.

My experience of rural public transport in France years ago was that it was dire, and it's probably got worse.

natsue
Member Avatar
Frenchie ocarinist

Posted Image

This is Toucan, my new adorable 4hole Gosselink offered by Lucie (Ocarinette) and chosen by a lot of ocarinists during the Budrio festival (I was not there) :love:

It is so precious for me, and the sound is incredible (as you can expect from a Gosselink oc :3 )

Thanks my sweet friends, you're the best :hug: :*

(aargh ! struggling again with posts, dammit !)
Edited by natsue, 14 May 2015, 03:29 PM.

Genkin
Beginner
Hello,

I am a beginner and I decided to get a Gosselink ocarina as a first ocarina, being myself french.

I started learning the instrument this afternoon with the Mezzetti ocarina tutor and was happy with the fingering given in this method.. until I decided to have a look at the gosselink's one. The Mezzetti tutor says that exept C# and D#, the other sharps are done by stopping the third hole. Gosselink's is the same for C# and D#, but then the F# is done by stopping the third, G# by stopping the second, Bb by stopping the fourth, high C# the seventh and high D# the sixth. That's so confusing and hard to memorise !

So I was about to learn the gosselink's way, because well, I think he knows how to play his own ocarina, but then, I had a look at the other gosselink's chart I also received with the ocarina, and surprise, it was again different.

So now I am really confused and I'm even losing my motivation because I don't want to learn something wrong.

Could someone help me with my problem?

Thank you !

PS : I took a photo of both fingering charts
http://hpics.li/ce4d0a0
http://hpics.li/35e3e4e

Tentenguy
Member Avatar
That guy

Good news! None of these are wrong!
I usually use the ones as written in the mezzetti method, but gosselink's fingerings with provide a slightly higher or lower pitch, but with the same note name.
For example: the fingering between LA and SI (known here as B-flat or A-sharp,) can be fingered as on the gosselink chart, but it will be a little flat. This can actually be useful, but I would generally use the third finger, as that's the most in-tune. F-sharp or G-flat (between fa and sol,) I also use the third finger, but the second finger is technically the more traditional fingering. The second finger fingering will be a little sharper, so it's a bit better for G-flat than F-sharp.
It might seem a bit complicated to think of G-flat and F-sharp as different conceptual pitches, but this is how people thought of music basically until the mid-20th century. It is probably too complicated to start with this all the time, but try to keep it in mind for later.

tl;dr mezzetti fingerings are my preference, but gosselink's are not wrong

Genkin
Beginner
Thank you so much Tentenguy !

That's what I was beginning to think, but I was not sure, especially because the third hole is tinier than the others and it made more sense to me that it was the one to stop and also I couldn't figure how the fact of stopping two differently-sized holes could lead to the same note.

Well, since I only practised 2 hours, and that it is my first music instrument, I guess the slighly difference between a mezzetti A# and a gosselink A# is not very important for now ahah !

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
« Previous Topic · European Ocarinas · Next Topic »
Add Reply
  • Pages:

Find us on Twitter Facebook | Read the FAQ