Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

- News Ticker

Donations - Please consider donating to The Ocarina Network to keep us afloat. More detail can be found in this topic. •
The Ocarina Network - Serving the ocarina community since April 27th 2008
Welcome to The Ocarina Network, a place for ocarina enthusiasts from all around the globe!

You're currently viewing The Ocarina Network as a guest.

If you join The Ocarina Network, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customising your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. On top of that we have a great number of music scores and backtracks for you to download.

Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Register at The Ocarina Network!

If you're already a member please log into your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
  • Pages:
Claudio Colombo Ocarinas; Italian Ocarinas
Topic Started: 24 Jul 2008, 08:06 PM (9,818 Views)
Seresúl
Member Avatar
Has OcariDNA
I was lookin around Ocarina Classica's website when I came across a link to the weboage of Italian ocarina maker Claudio Colombo. I have never even heard them mentioned so I thought I'd add a topic here.

His ocarinas have 11 holes and come in three sizes, plus he makes doubles and triples too.
He also has a huge contrabass ocarina with an English style fingering system.

Heres the link to his webpage, the page is in Italian.

I don't know if he still makes or sells ocarinas, but the page has an email address, a physical address, and a phone number.

Edit by kissing:
His website is now: http://www.clacol.it
Ocarinas: http://www.clacol.it/clacolC11.php
Edited by kissing, 21 May 2009, 10:34 AM.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Deleted User
Deleted User

Wow. Another mega bass maker!
Quote Post Goto Top

Ian McConnell
Member Avatar
Transverse Ocarinist x 4
I have a clay Gemshorn style ocarina made by him, wonderful flute. Its a nine hole, 8 main holes, 1 sub. Its Top notch, one of my best flutes. I will try to find a pic.

kissing
Member Avatar
tyrannical dictator

oh my goodness....
Posted Image
Those huge pot things amaze me. I've never seen/heard one actually being played. I wonder how much breathe would be required to resonate such a huge vessel....

He has some VERY interesting Double and Triple ocarinas:
Posted Image
Posted Image

It would interest me greatly to see these actions, and how they compare against the oriental Double and Triple ocarinas (which originated from Italian technology, long ago!)

edit: Hmm, I just found that the note ranges of Colombo doubles and triples are less than the doubles and triples we know about.
A Focalink/Maparam/TNG Double ocarina plays A4 to C7 - about 2 octaves.
The Colombo one seems to play B5 to G6 (according to website) - hardly one octave.

A Focalink/Maparam/TNG Triple ocarina plays A4 to G8 - nearly 3 octaves.
The Colombo triples only seems to play B5 to G7 (according to website) - hardly two octaves.

I am thoroughly confused o_O :(( :think:

edit #2:
Just realised that the Colombo Doubles and Triples are made for playing chords and harmony, just like Mr Hind's double. No wonder their range is not wide :rofl: :facepalm:

as described by delorian below, it turns out that the ranges on the website are wrong. Colombo double and triple ocarinas do play the wide range as other Double and Triples (except for that low A, due to one less subhole). :D
Edited by kissing, 27 Jul 2008, 01:45 PM.

Walden
Member Avatar
An humble ocarina-player.
kissing
27 Jul 2008, 12:19 PM

Those huge pot things amaze me. I've never seen/heard one actually being played.
Let's call them Potterinas! :-]

delorean
Transverse Ocarinist x 2
kissing
27 Jul 2008, 12:19 PM

edit: Hmm, I just found that the note ranges of Colombo doubles and triples are less than the doubles and triples we know about.

edit #2:
Just realised that the Colombo Doubles and Triples are made for playing chords and harmony, just like Mr Hind's double. No wonder their range is not wide
kissing there is an error in Claudio's website.

His double and triple are not harmony ocarinas. They are wide range exactly like Maparam or Focalink, they just don't have the low "A" note.

I own 2 of Claudio's ocarinas, an Alto C (it's for selling if anyone interested) and a Bass C.

I also owned a Tenor G.

His ocarinas are very good. Claudio started to make them just a few years ago and he constantly experiments new shapes and new ways.

kissing
Member Avatar
tyrannical dictator

Thank you for the explanation delorean!

Now that I know they are widely ranged, I am very interested in how they sound.
As you would have used both the Colombo ocarinas and the Maparam ocarinas - how do you think they compare? :D

delorean
Transverse Ocarinist x 2
kissing
27 Jul 2008, 01:45 PM
Now that I know they are widely ranged, I am very interested in how they sound.
As you would have used both the Colombo ocarinas and the Maparam ocarinas - how do you think they compare? :D
Claudio makes his double/triple ocarinas in Japanese/Korean style so the sound is similar to Maparams. I would tell more but I've never tried a Claudio double/triple so I can't explain the differences.

As for the single ocarinas they are very good.

The Alto C I own has a wonderful first octave, very resonant and clear. The higher 2 notes are a bit airy but it's a problem of many Alto C and he's working to improve this thing.

All the other keys I've played are perfect in all the range.

The Tenor G I owned was very very good.

The Bass C (9 holes) I've bought from him last year is awesome.

Since he constantly improve their ocarinas I should be very curious to see the new models he'll introduce at the ocarina festival in Austria next weekend.
Edited by delorean, 26 Jan 2010, 06:49 PM.

Seresúl
Member Avatar
Has OcariDNA
His ocarinas have to be pretty good if Ocarina Classica uses them.
I'm also interested in hearing one of his doubles/triples, he's the only Italian maker that makes a triple isn't he?

delorean
Transverse Ocarinist x 2
Seresúl
27 Jul 2008, 10:17 PM
... he's the only Italian maker that makes a triple isn't he?
Yes, he is.

delorean
Transverse Ocarinist x 2
Here you can see new ocarinas that Claudio Colombo has introduced at the Ocarina Festival in Austria.

Also Claudio has a new website, it's under construction but it will be ready soon and you'll be able to buy ocarinas from him with PayPal.

Spoiler: click to toggle

Mikael
Member Avatar

*DROOOOOL*

I want that triple. And all the others as well =D

Seresúl
Member Avatar
Has OcariDNA
Is that three subholes I spot on the bottom chamber of that triple? Interesting. I really like how it looks, will his new website have sound samples?
Edited by Seresúl, 6 Aug 2008, 08:18 PM.

delorean
Transverse Ocarinist x 2
Seresúl
6 Aug 2008, 08:17 PM
Is that three subholes I spot on the bottom chamber of that triple? Interesting. I really like how it looks, will his new website have sound samples?
I think the third is just a fine tuning hole, not a real subhole.
Sorry, I don't know about sound samples.

Mikael
Member Avatar

Just a heads up that Claudio Colombo ocarinas are finally up for sale at www.clacol.it

This means that there is finally a european triple ocarina available! Celebration! :jumpy: :playoc:
Unfortunately, the euro is very expensive at the moment so it might not be the best time to buy them.

kissing
Member Avatar
tyrannical dictator

yay! That's exciting news indeed. Their Triple and Double are very interesting to me :)

Darnit, so many ocarinas I want, but so little money :((

Mikael
Member Avatar

So I sent Claudio an email with my questions... got back an answer in italian :|
I was really hoping he spoke english...
In addition... apparently my name is Michele :rofl:

I asked him about the subholes and it seems to me from his answer that he's using a slightly different system than what we're used to. It seems that if there is 1 subhole on the ocarina (in C), it can go to a B. If there are 2 subholes, it can do A#. And if there are 3 subholes, it can play an A.
Edited by Mikael, 28 Apr 2009, 07:42 AM.

arthurkam
Beginner
Is this guy playing the Claudio triple ocarina?

Triple ocarina link
Edited by arthurkam, 24 Jan 2010, 03:24 PM.

Veld
Member Avatar
Musicophilia
Nope, it's a MapAram.

Kongming
Member Avatar
The Un-Virtuous One
I would really love to know if anyone here has a double or a triple ClaCol. How does it sound? Aesthetically, they are awesome, but i'm not going to spend a sinble buck without proper assurance of their good sound quality.

His single chamber ocarinas are indeed of great quality, but as we know, leveling up to multiple chambers doesn't always lead to good results.

Maybe i'm going to mail him about this.
Edited by Kongming, 25 Jan 2010, 05:56 PM.

Krešimir Cindrić

Armisis has one and he seems very satisfied with it.

linkthebard
Member Avatar
Child in Time
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hJkuCfUKy8g&feature=relmfu

Normally I do not like the ocarina soprano / sopranino. Fortunately I found a medieval song that sounds good with the high notes ... :) Is an ocarina of 2009.

Jubal
Member Avatar
Tree Hugger - Food is your right

Does anyone know if he ships to the United States? So many ocarinas I want, so little money. :/

Fred
Member Avatar
Serial Ocarina Philanderer
Wollemi said he does. I want his triple soon ^.^

Jubal
Member Avatar

Ah, thank you. :)

I shall own one of his single chamber bass C's and one of his tenor doubles. :eager:

Fred
Member Avatar
Ill be getting his triple it sounds amazing.

Wollemi Pine
Member Avatar
Triple-Double Ocarinist

Jubal
3 Sep 2012, 04:54 AM
Does anyone know if he ships to the United States? So many ocarinas I want, so little money. :/
Yes, he does ship to the United States. Here's a photo of his triple ocarina I bought from him.

Maparam triple on the left, Colombo triple on the right.

Posted Image

Fred
Member Avatar
What do you think of the triple Wollemi? Give me the juicy details. ^.^
Edited by Fred, 3 Sep 2012, 05:07 AM.

Jubal
Member Avatar

That's awesome, Wollemi. :D How much was the shipping?

Bryce
Member Avatar
Multichamber Ocarinist
His triple is only 30 € more than the double... Looks like a quality ocarina!

linkthebard
Member Avatar
Child in Time
And finally here's the Claudio Colombo's facebook page (CLACOL Ocarine)!!!

Stay Tuned and like it for upcoming news and information!

https://www.facebook.com/clacolocarine

Bryce
Member Avatar
Multichamber Ocarinist
Claudio makes a quad... Does anyone know if it's commercially available? Or anything about it?
Picture
Edited by Bryce, 23 Dec 2013, 02:40 AM.

lakilester5626
Member Avatar
Undecuple Ocarinist
Does anyone have experience with Colombo's contrabass in C?

CKeene
Member Avatar
Lion Tamer
I do. I owned one for awhile but I sold it to David Ramos. It's an excellent contrabass for the price especially. The finger holes are VERY large and must be played with flat fingers. The breath demand is very high as well on it.

lakilester5626
Member Avatar
Undecuple Ocarinist
How is the breath slope?

CKeene
Member Avatar
Lion Tamer
The slope isn't too high as the breath demand starts pretty high even on the lowest note. The voicing is as tremendously sized as the holes are. You can almost put your thumb through it, definitely so if you have a smaller hand. Even still, the ocarina is very effective and is used by the Budrio group.

lakilester5626
Member Avatar
Undecuple Ocarinist
Alright, thanks a lot.

Mark Chan
Member Avatar

Well, since we're on the subject of ClaCol; I got my triple AC a few days ago. It's a very comfortable ocarina to play. The mouth piece makes chamber switching so easy. I don't know what it is about it that makes it much easier than say a Takashi or TNG PC Triple. Maybe the texture or incline? My Pacchioni has the incline; but it's not any easier than switching with Takashi though.

Anyways, back to the ClaCol triple. The breath requirement is low; but not soft. It's very comfortable to blow (for me) and to also hold. I love the ergonomics. I like the light weight and flatness of the right hand surface. Don't know how to explain it; but TNG PC triple kinda has curves on it to section off each chamber; and I don't like that.

I'm convinced that I'll buy another multichamber from Claudio in the future. Don't know whether I'll get the doppia or tripla; but I'll get one in G. I like the tripla C so much; I wouldn't mind selling my Takashi double and triple. Just so no one gets the wrong idea; I'm not selling, lol.

pandorado100
Member Avatar
Premium Poster
Mark Chan

Just so no one gets the wrong idea; I'm not selling, lol.

Oh you're such a tease! How dare you dangle your Takashi ocarinas in front of my eyes only to snatch them away? :shakefist:

Zorlee
Member Avatar
Transverse Ocarinist x 2
I got my ClaCol triple C and G today.
I love the G. I don't like the C too much.
The Triple G sounds good, is well balanced and have great chamber balance.
However, the triple C's second chamber sounds weak compared to the first and third chamber. I'm used to Focalink Forte / Osawa Forte ocarinas, and the second chamber on those sound full bodied and strong, so the weak-sounding second chamber on my ClaCol triple turned me off a bit. The G however sounds really good. :)

Wollemi Pine
Member Avatar
Triple-Double Ocarinist

Does a happy dance for Zorlee! :boogie:

Feanolwë
Member Avatar
Spirit of Wisdom
I just found that on his website : The C5 triple is now available for € 280.

Jack Campin
Member Avatar
Opener of Catfood Tins

I tried a potterina at the Delta del Po festival. It sounded great but I couldn't figure out how to close the holes in a playable way.

Colombo's other bass ocarinas sounded wonderful and were very light but the fingerholes were weirdly placed.

Bryce
Member Avatar
Multichamber Ocarinist
Colombo now offers quadruple Bass C, Tenor G, and Alto C ocarinas on his website.

Feanolwë
Member Avatar
Spirit of Wisdom
Another maker of P ocarinas, great!

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · European Ocarinas · Next Topic »
Add Reply
  • Pages:

Find us on TwitterFacebook | Read the FAQ