Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

- News Ticker

Donations - Please consider donating to The Ocarina Network to keep us afloat. More detail can be found in this topic. •
The Ocarina Network - Serving the ocarina community since April 27th 2008
Welcome to The Ocarina Network, a place for ocarina enthusiasts from all around the globe!

You're currently viewing The Ocarina Network as a guest.

If you join The Ocarina Network, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customising your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. On top of that we have a great number of music scores and backtracks for you to download.

Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Register at The Ocarina Network!

If you're already a member please log into your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
  • Pages:
Yamaha Ocarinas
Topic Started: 15 Jun 2008, 10:04 PM (8,862 Views)
Kiniko
Member Avatar
<3 Lolicon
Andy
11 Nov 2009, 07:09 PM
Kiniko
11 Nov 2009, 01:50 AM
http://www.nicovideo.jp/watch/sm7118261
The one in the top right window. You need an account to view videos on that site, though.
Ah nico nico douga. <3

I have seen that video on YouTube too though:

[link]
It was removed for quite a while I remember.. So I started watching it on nico.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Walden
Member Avatar
An humble ocarina-player.
It's an awfully scary Father Christmas.

Faolan
Member Avatar
Triple Ocarinist
Walden
11 Nov 2009, 09:24 PM
It's an awfully scary Father Christmas.
Creepy Claus want you to sit on his lap :P

KidGoku13
Member Avatar
~Tadashi; Crazy Red Link Fangirl~
I find it interesting that the letter keys are printed on the ocarina...

Walden
Member Avatar
An humble ocarina-player.
Am I mistook or do these have three subholes?

Desmønd
Member Avatar
Find me at southeast anime cons
THe smaller orange one on the top left has 3 subholes. Interesting.

Everett Ocarinas
Member Avatar
aka Kalasinar

Hmm, they look rather...odd. Though it would be nice to have one to match my excellent Yamaha drum kit... :think:

Crowler
Member Avatar
emergency medical hologram
zombiefewd1
12 Nov 2009, 03:48 AM
THe smaller orange one on the top left has 3 subholes. Interesting.
It give them the same range as STL's freakishly expensive 'two-octave ocarina', I believe... Ti Amo have three subholes on a few of their models, too.

Deleted User
Deleted User

One of Rotter's ocarinas has 13 holes (and 2 octaves) as well:

Posted Image

[link]

Price: €80
Quote Post Goto Top

Crowler
Member Avatar
emergency medical hologram
Andy
12 Nov 2009, 04:42 PM
One of Rotter's ocarinas has 13 holes (and 2 octaves) as well:

Spoiler: click to toggle

[link]

Price: €80
That's an odd subhole placement... I guess Ti Amo and Yamaha had Taiwanese subholes, though... In other news, that ocarina looks delicious.

Armisis
Member Avatar
Paradoxical Enigma

Still trying to find a good source that uses paypal to get a hold of a yamaha one for my collection

Panch
Member Avatar
The Whistlemaker

Ahh... the oc in that pic? I dunno if that's actually a propper subhole over the pinky-hole. It looks more like a double-hole so you can do C sharp... which is kinda redundant on a 12-hole... still want one though.

markal363
Member Avatar
A Woodwind Doubler
That's definitely a split hole to play either c or c#. It greatly increases one's technical ability to play runs where that c# is needed. Try this: run a DMajor scale up and back down to ti (c#) then back to do (d) evenly in sixteenths at a moderate to fast tempo. Sliding your right middle finger for c# here will not be anywhere near as accurate as having that split hole for c# using your right little finger. Flutes and clarinets both have this capability to play either c or c# with the right little finger for this particular reason. I wish this split hole was standard on all ocarinas.

TheZ
Member Avatar
Multichamber Ocarinist
I just won a Yamaha SC off eBay; I was really interested in the Aketa SF that was being offered with it, and I figured I'd give the Yamaha a go, too.

pandorado100
Member Avatar
Premium Poster
How much was the Yamaha, Z? I've seen them posted for ridiculously high prices on eBay. Like $500. I'm not keen on spending that kind of money on a single chamber ocarina unless it was made by Sojiro himself. :)

TheZ
Member Avatar
Multichamber Ocarinist
It was $40 for the pair.

pandorado100
Member Avatar
Premium Poster
TheZ
19 Jan 2015, 11:32 AM
It was $40 for the pair.
That would be very reasonable. I'd like to hear your impression of both the Aketa and Yamaha ocs when you receive them. I've heard good things about Aketa ocarinas. I'm not fond of the way they look however. And numbering the finger holes seems a bit insulting like labeling kiddie shoes left and right so they know which foot to put them on. :rofl:

Rughead
Member Avatar
cheap cracked plastic pendant Ocarinist x 3
I own a few Yamaha recorders, and the intonation is so bad that they are fairly useless to me. :( I sold off my tenor one.

Curtis

Mark Chan
Member Avatar

Reading a few Japanese ocarina blogs (link and link), it seems that Yamaha ocarinas are manufactured by Aketa. On one of the Yahoo Answers pages, the best answer says that besides the Yamaha logo, Yamaha branded ocarinas are the same as Aketa.

Here's mine in comparison with the Yamaha:

Mine doesn't have 13-holes though.
Edited by Mark Chan, 19 Jan 2015, 08:11 PM.

Mars Lander
Beginner
Where'd everybody go?! Just got an ochre ocarina Yamaha OCR-AC from an ebay dealer in Bangkok, looking for sheet music and tips! Glazing is fine with Japanese wabi-sabi small imperfections.

Ocypode
Double Ocarinist
Hi!

There are plenty of tips...
http://theocarinanetwork.com/forum/18064/

sheet music...
http://theocarinanetwork.com/forum/18081/

even tabs...
http://theocarinanetwork.com/forum/3036477/

And also, if you wish, a topic for new members to present themselves:
http://theocarinanetwork.com/topic/6561884/105/#new

Please note that you cannot create a new topic or contact members before you have reached 5 posts (it is not something against new members, but to prevent spam...).
Edited by Ocypode, 16 Jun 2018, 06:32 AM.

Tennyson
Member Avatar
Flutist

Hi! :)

The Yamaha ocarina you have bought is a 'historical' model.

Yamaha Ocarinas themselves are discontinued, Yamaha do not produce anymore ocarinas.

However, the one you have bought is the model they were producing 'originally', before starting to re-brand Aketa Ocarinas.

Your ocarina was made, if I am not wrong, by the current Maker of Popolo Ocarinas, who was also the Maker of the 'old' models of Night Ocarinas, the Provence ones and, probably, others (he founded, then, his brand, Popolo Ocarina, and Night started to produce the models they sell currently, while Yamaha started to 're-brand' the Aketa Ocarinas; the Night Provence ocarinas are quite similar to the 'old' Yamaha ocarinas, even if they are incomparably better tuned and crafted).

The ocarina you have bought is, probably, not the best one to start, since it is an Alto C model and requires a very strong 'acute bend' technique to play in tune high E and high F (in any case, airy).

Practicing, in any case, helps.

Here are two pictures, the first one is of the 'old' Yamaha models (the Alto C you have bought belongs to this set), and the other one depicts the 'later' Yamaha models, just Aketa ocarinas re-branded (they are very good, in my opinion).

Hope it can help.

Greetings! :)

'Old' Yamaha Ocarinas (Popolo Maker?)

'Later' Yamaha Ocarinas (Aketa Ocarinas)

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you
« Previous Topic · Asia and Pacific Ocarinas · Next Topic »
Add Reply
  • Pages:

Find us on TwitterFacebook | Read the FAQ