Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

- News Ticker

Donations - Please consider donating to The Ocarina Network to keep us afloat. More detail can be found in this topic.
The Ocarina Network - Serving the ocarina community since April 27th 2008
Welcome to The Ocarina Network, a place for ocarina enthusiasts from all around the globe!

You're currently viewing The Ocarina Network as a guest.

If you join The Ocarina Network, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customising your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. On top of that we have a great number of music scores and backtracks for you to download.

Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Register at The Ocarina Network!

If you're already a member please log into your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
  • Pages:
Yamaha Ocarinas
Topic Started: 15 Jun 2008, 10:04 PM (8,708 Views)
tuneofwind
Transverse Ocarinist x 5
like omg...they look very badly glazzed :X

http://www.gakki.com/shopping/ocarina_yamaha.html
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

DeepRed
Member Avatar
Taking a break from Signature requests
Also cheap... around 30-40 ($60-80) each....
they dont look great...you'd expect something better from Yamaha

Pandaman
Member Avatar
part panda, part mudkip, all me

yamaha guitars are know to be pretty bad. Really just for beginners who don't want to get a proper one right away...

DeepRed
Member Avatar
Yeah but Yamaha clarinets aren't usually *too* bad...I suppose they're a bit like TNG....fairly cheap beginner models. Not that they're bad or anything, they're just not *great*. :) Better saving that little bit extra for a Map or Foca....

Deleted User
Deleted User

Oh. I was hoping for an official Yamaha link.
Quote Post Goto Top

DeepRed
Member Avatar
I'd be suprised if there isn't one out there somewhere, do Yamaha have an official Japanese site?

Pandaman
Member Avatar

Their guitars aren't incredibly crappy, just the ones most beginners get if they don't know how long they'll be playing or how serious they'll be. There are still some models underneath them in the way of quality. Like my friend who got it from the local home improvement store xD Only plywood guitar I ever saw. Sounded so crap! It cost about a tenth of what mine cost though :P

stevtomato
Member Avatar
The Splattered Tomato

Yamaha grand pianos are alright, definitely better than their ocarinas XD

Deleted User
Deleted User

stevtomato
16 Jun 2008, 11:24 PM
Yamaha grand pianos are alright, definitely better than their ocarinas XD
I second that.
I had a Yamaha piano for years and I loved it. <3

Nevertheless, I'd LOVE to hear the ocarinas before I judge them. lmao
Quote Post Goto Top

shadowyi
Member Avatar
dysfunctional family
Quote:

I looked all over the Taiwan website and stumbled around the Japanese one and didn't find any listings for ocarinas. If any country has them, it would be those two (don't know any Korean to go around the Korean site). I don't think Yamaha has any plans in the near future to make it an actual product line and market it to the rest of the world.

That said, I'm appalled by the note names near the holes, that is so.. heinously ugly! They look.. very pointy. I wonder how they sound..

Deleted User
Deleted User

I find the labelling of ocarina holes to be ugly and unnecessary.
Quote Post Goto Top

Mikael
Member Avatar

Does anyone actually OWN a yamaha ocarina? I'd hate to have a bad reputation on them that are not based on fact.

Hmm maybe Ian has one of them and can share with us his opinions.
Edited by Mikael, 17 Jun 2008, 06:16 AM.

Pandaman
Member Avatar

So far they look pretty ugly to everyone >.< I guess they might make up to it if they sound really good, but looks is also a part of their reputation xD

EDIT: So far I've been able to find a few yamaha vids with their ocarinas in them, but none where it's actually played >.< Somre more pictures can be found here:
http://www.geocities.jp/pandoras_casket/page091.html
Edited by Pandaman, 17 Jun 2008, 08:44 AM.

stevtomato
Member Avatar
The Splattered Tomato

Yeah, someone should buy em XD Someone with heaps of money *cough*rintintin*cough* And tell us if they are good... hmm I wonder who can do it.

Ian McConnell
Member Avatar
Transverse Ocarinist x 4
I think they look "poorly glazed" because they are copies of the original Akita ocarinas. Thats the style, I would love to check these out but I don't like that particular sub hole configuration. I prefer the original Akita style with both sub holes played by the right hand. Allmost looks like those are 13 hole, 2 on the right one on the left?
Edited by Ian McConnell, 17 Jun 2008, 08:43 AM.

Pandaman
Member Avatar

There are more pictures and better pictures here:
http://www.eonet.ne.jp/~pandoras-casket/page131.html
Still can't find any sound samples...
Edited by Pandaman, 17 Jun 2008, 08:46 AM.

Ian McConnell
Member Avatar
Transverse Ocarinist x 4
If thats a 13 hole, that would be great! I bet it is. If its missing a thumb hole I would be extremely dissapointed, Looks like they are worth getting, just for the fingering configuration after all!

Mikael
Member Avatar

stevtomato
17 Jun 2008, 08:34 AM
Yeah, someone should buy em XD Someone with heaps of money *cough*rintintin*cough* And tell us if they are good... hmm I wonder who can do it.
But I am poor!! :cry:

I would love to try one out, but I can't purchase any more ocarinas for a while.

Pandaman
Member Avatar

Where do you see the 13th hole? I just see the standard 8 holes plus 2 subholes on all the ocarinas...

EDIT: never mind I see the third subhole on the red one now >.<
Edited by Pandaman, 17 Jun 2008, 08:56 AM.

Ian McConnell
Member Avatar
Transverse Ocarinist x 4
I had to do a triple take on that one too. I have heard the Gakki shop has a long wait for their flutes.

masagamer
Member Avatar
KAJUKENBO fighting style
compared to STL, Noble, Maparam, Focalink etc. these don't seem like the best ocarinas... well maybe because I'm a more double and triple person

kissing
Member Avatar
tyrannical dictator

I *read* somewhere that Yamaha ocarinas are decent for their price, and that it was such a pity that Yamaha stopped making ocarinas... but can't quite remember where.

As Ian already stated, it's not bad glazing, it's part of the design similar to Aketa's
http://www.10holes.com/ocarina/f-aketa.htm

Personally I don't think it's really pretty either xD

I generally have a good view of Yamaha wind instruments. Yamaha trumpets, flutes and recorders have proven to be very reliable and quality instruments.
Edited by kissing, 17 Jun 2008, 08:19 PM.

DeepRed
Member Avatar
They actually look like they've been painted and not glazed at all....

Ian McConnell
Member Avatar
Transverse Ocarinist x 4
Anybody know of an english speaking sales rep for Gakki? I only know of one guy in japan who sells the night ocarinas that speaks english. I think I will check with him. If anyone could point me in the right direction that would be wonderful. I can translate german, italian, french etc., but have no idea where to start with japanese or chinese stuff. Thanks in advance for any help.

Mikael
Member Avatar

Ian McConnell
18 Jun 2008, 06:51 PM
Anybody know of an english speaking sales rep for Gakki? I only know of one guy in japan who sells the night ocarinas that speaks english. I think I will check with him. If anyone could point me in the right direction that would be wonderful. I can translate german, italian, french etc., but have no idea where to start with japanese or chinese stuff. Thanks in advance for any help.
Unfortunately I don't think we have any Japanese or Chinese translators or contacts here.

kissing
Member Avatar
tyrannical dictator

Rintintin
18 Jun 2008, 08:11 PM
Ian McConnell
18 Jun 2008, 06:51 PM
Unfortunately I don't think we have any Japanese or Chinese translators or contacts here.
Shadowyi can translate for Chinese :wub: :excited: :fly:

Mikael
Member Avatar

Doh of course. Stupid me. She's been translating books for Focalink and I don't remember -.- I fail

shadowyi
Member Avatar
dysfunctional family
*hears name, pokes head up* Wassup? Shadow at your services! Do you want me to translate between a sales rep in order to buy a Yamaha ocarina?

Ian McConnell
Member Avatar
Transverse Ocarinist x 4
I would like to buy a yamaha, and possibly another prima from gakki but have no idea where to begin. How to order, how to pay, just don't know. I found some email links on the page I could read, thought I would give them a try to see if I got an english response. Let me know if you have a good idea where to start, and thanks for your help.

shadowyi
Member Avatar
dysfunctional family
Cool. Now, first things first before I do anything... what's a prima? And Gakki? *sheepish grin*

Ian McConnell
Member Avatar
Transverse Ocarinist x 4
Prima Maestro are what the old Aketa copies that are still sold as. Instead of aketa they say Prima Maestro and a couple of other things. Like Amabile and I can't recall the others at the moment. Gakki.com is the company that distributes the variose japanese flutes, I think, could be entirely wrong but thats where all the pictures are at. Thanks for any input, Like I said I can't even navigate the site, keep hitting pictures and dead ends.

shadowyi
Member Avatar
dysfunctional family
Eek. :omg: I can't read Japanese... :shy: . However, from what Han words they used, I looked under 'folk' instruments, antique instruments, and woodwinds but couldn't find our dear ocarina. I searched in the Taiwan Google but couldn't find a mention of it. I'm sorry. :shy:

kissing
Member Avatar
tyrannical dictator

I think Prima is an ocarina brand closely related to Aketa. Gakka seems to be that website selling ocarinas, such as that Yamaha, etc.

Walden
Member Avatar
An humble ocarina-player.
A brief ocarina care video from Yamaha.

IceWind91
Member Avatar
Ocarinist - Clarinetist - Composer

Aw, it looked like she was going to play it for a second there...

It's like Yamaha's playing some kind of sick game with our minds. Show some ocarinas, be all secretive about them so people go looking for information, and then taunt us and shatter our hopes of finding sound samples.

Walden
Member Avatar
Moonsyne
16 Jun 2008, 05:11 PM
I can oblige: http://yamaha.jp/product/winds/ocarinas/

Jamie
Member Avatar
Pendant Ocarinist x 5
look at the white ocarinas lol :D

jwchargers13
Member Avatar
Pendant Ocarinist x 2
I would imagine they would be pretty decent, or at least in tune. I got an inexpensive yamaha keyboard that has been wonderful for the past 2 and a half years. I've heard better sounds, but it does the job. But I'm really curious of what they sound like

dcl
Member Avatar
Inline Ocarinist x 4
i know that this topic is old, but i will post a link for other photo of ocarinas from yamaha
http://www.ocarina-vale.com/Yamaha.html
Edited by dcl, 11 Nov 2009, 12:38 AM.

Kiniko
Member Avatar
<3 Lolicon
I know I saw a video with someone playing one of those soprano C ocarinas with the really long mouthpiece.. let me find it...

Aha!

http://www.nicovideo.jp/watch/sm7118261

The one in the top right window. You need an account to view videos on that site, though.

Abreu
Member Avatar
The guy from Brazil

But from the brand that makes some of the best saxophones out there, one could really expect more

Faolan
Member Avatar
Triple Ocarinist
Is this the same company that makes the motorcycles and ATVs? I thought they were an automotive company.

Walden
Member Avatar
Faolan Devyn Aodfin
11 Nov 2009, 02:46 AM
Is this the same company that makes the motorcycles and ATVs? I thought they were an automotive company.
They're a diverse company. Ever notice their logo is three tuning forks?

Posted Image

Edited by Walden, 11 Nov 2009, 02:57 AM.

Panch
Member Avatar
The Whistlemaker

I... never noticed that until you brought it up Walden. Very interesting! It's like whenever you talk I learn something new! :p

Deleted User
Deleted User

Kiniko
11 Nov 2009, 01:50 AM
http://www.nicovideo.jp/watch/sm7118261
The one in the top right window. You need an account to view videos on that site, though.
Ah nico nico douga. <3

I have seen that video on YouTube too though:

[link]
Quote Post Goto Top

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
ZetaBoards - Free Forum Hosting
Create a free forum in seconds.
Learn More · Sign-up Now
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · Asia and Pacific Ocarinas · Next Topic »
Add Reply
  • Pages:

Find us on Twitter Facebook | Read the FAQ