Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

- News Ticker

Donations - Please consider donating to The Ocarina Network to keep us afloat. More detail can be found in this topic.
The Ocarina Network - Serving the ocarina community since April 27th 2008
Welcome to The Ocarina Network, a place for ocarina enthusiasts from all around the globe!

You're currently viewing The Ocarina Network as a guest.

If you join The Ocarina Network, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customising your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. On top of that we have a great number of music scores and backtracks for you to download.

Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Register at The Ocarina Network!

If you're already a member please log into your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Hind Alto C Inline 10 Hole Ocarina
Topic Started: 4 Jul 2018, 07:25 PM (116 Views)
OrdinaryOwl
Member Avatar
Pendant Ocarinist
Alto Ocarina in C ~ 10 Holes
Image Gallery: Google Photos Album
Company: Hind Musical Instruments
Purchase Link: Purchase Link
Range: 110th, B4 - E6 (1 1/2 octaves) (18 notes total)
Key: C
Size: 5" long x 1 3/4" wide x 1 1/2" thick
Weight: 54 grams
Price: $59
Comments:
Overall: This is a wonderful travel ocarina. At 10 holes, it is still plenty capable of playing most songs, and the durability of the wood makes it my go to ocarina for throwing in my bag and taking with me everywhere. I vastly prefer this to my plastic ocarina, and it goes toe to toe with my Focalink Double AC Dolce for most played!

Ergonomics: The feel of the wood is lovely to touch. At 54 grams it feels very light, but it also feels sturdy in the hand. It's a little on the small side compared to my other ocarinas, probably due to the inline structure. This makes it a very good fit for my small-to average hands. The holes are far enough apart that larger hands have no trouble with it, though (as confirmed by my larger handed boyfriend.)

Looks: I'm predisposed to like the wooden aesthetic, but this really is a gorgeous instrument! The wood grain, the color of the Sapele wood--it all looks amazing. One note: Compared to the photo Mr. Hind has on his website, my ocarina has a more visible join line between the top and the chamber. If the seamless look is important to you, you might need to specifically request it.

Sound: This ocarina sounds lovely, but the wooden material definitely effects the sound. In comparison to the clear sounds of a clay ocarina, the wood makes notes sound more airy and rustic. Also, as others have noted, Hind ocarinas require much less breath to play and are definitely quieter. This is most noticeable on the high notes, which actually sound better to me here since I don't like shrill sounds. Overall, I like the sound of clay better, but the portability of wood wins here.

Fingering Chart: The Alto C comes with its own fingering chart, which I've added to the Google Photos album. I can't find this chart on Mr. Hind's website, so be sure to take good care of yours!

Song Books: I also got Mr. Hind's Ocarina Song Book 1 and Ocarina Christmas. Haven't learned any songs from them yet (working through Chris Gale's book, but they work with the fingering chart provided. I really like the song selection, and it's worth snagging them with the ocarina!

Rating: 8/10
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
« Previous Topic · Ocarina Reviews · Next Topic »
Add Reply

Find us on Twitter Facebook | Read the FAQ