Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

- News Ticker

Donations - Please consider donating to The Ocarina Network to keep us afloat. More detail can be found in this topic.
The Ocarina Network - Serving the ocarina community since April 27th 2008
Welcome to The Ocarina Network, a place for ocarina enthusiasts from all around the globe!

You're currently viewing The Ocarina Network as a guest.

If you join The Ocarina Network, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customising your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. On top of that we have a great number of music scores and backtracks for you to download.

Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Register at The Ocarina Network!

If you're already a member please log into your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Ocarina in China, where, how?
Topic Started: 20 Jun 2018, 02:37 PM (372 Views)
Ocypode
Double Ocarinist
Hi everyone,

I'll be living in Yunnan, China, for several months.

So I wonder, where is ocarina mostly popular in China? I have seen a few ocarinas in music shops, so at least, it's not completely unknown here, but I still have to hear someone playing it (I however had several opportunities to see peoples playing the wonderful folk instruments they have here: Hulusi, Erhu, moon guitar, Bawu, Ghuzeng...)

Also, is there something ocarina-related in Yunnan?
So far, I only learned of the existence of xuns with a peculiar shape called awu which are typical of one of the minorities of Yunnan (maybe the Yi, but I am not sure to remember correctly).
Edited by Ocypode, 20 Jun 2018, 02:38 PM.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Tennyson
Member Avatar
Flutist

Hi! :)

I have read only now your post, sorry.

Yes, the awu should be typical of Yi people, I think I remember it is, but I am not sure it is a xun.

If you are in Yunnan, visit Lijiang, a surprising city, beautiful.

There, you could find people with an extensive knowledge of the Chinese musical traditions of that area.

You could travel to Sichuan.

On the border between Yunnan Province and Sichuan Province, there are the Daba and Dongba people.

They have a very ancient and original minority culture, and they are quite friendly.

To find an ocarina maker, I think you know in Shenyang (Liaoning Province) there is Song Wei, the Maker of Imperial City Ocarinas (there is also Bill).

However, Shenyang and Liaoning Province are not 'close' (at all) to Yunnan.

I also remember a sort of Ocarina Market in Nanjing, but it was years ago.

Hope it can help.

Greetings! :)

Mark Chan
Member Avatar

I know several teachers in different cities spread out throughout China, so where there are teachers, there is a good amount of ocarina students. There are makers and teachers in Wuhan, Suzhou, Shanghai, Beijing, Nanjing, Tianjin, Shenyang, etc. etc. etc. Ocarinas all over the place.

There are many festivals throughout the year in different parts of China. I see an ocarina event posted on WeChat almost every month.

Last July, there was a national ocarina/bawu/hulusi combined competition in Nanjing. It is the number one premiere event for Bawu and Hulusi, but ocarina was newly added last year. At the same time there was another ocarina festival in the same city set up just to sabotage that competition (for reasons I will not discuss).

Jiaxing is the home of Fengya, which is the biggest ocarina manufacturer in China (and probably the world). They have an ocarina festival there every year in April. They will also be attending the Shanghai musical instrument fair in October. Fengya also has shops all over China (more so in the big cities).

Since Hong Kong is technically part of China again, you can check out this year's Asia Ocarina Festival in August. It's a big one that happens every two years (and in a different city each time). If you are Chinese citizen, you have to register with the China Ocarina Art Association in order to participate though. But if you are foreigner, you can just go.

But if you're just looking for a place to buy ocarinas and you are far from an ocarina shop, I guess you can buy from TaoBao. It's not a great place for buying ocarinas unless you know the seller. Still, the best way is to contact the maker directly so that you get the best ones. And if you have good relationship, then you get good price. But not everyone has that privilege, so they buy from their teachers who do have a good relationship with the makers.

In Yunnan, I'd focus on Hulusi though, lol.

edit: Anyways, ocarinas are not commonly known in China. My post makes it seem more popular than it really is because I'm an ocarina person. But ask a random person on the street, chances are they wouldn't know what an ocarina is.
Edited by Mark Chan, 3 Jul 2018, 02:26 PM.

Ocypode
Double Ocarinist
Many thanks for all the infos!

@Tennyson:

The awu (阿乌) is indeed a variety of xun (at least structurally, culturally, it might be completely unrelated)
You an see some here, and many more by searching on Baidu (on this particular topic, Baidu beats Google):
http://roll.sohu.com/20141113/n405986337.shtml
http://malay.cri.cn/741/2010/09/20/121s114392.htm

Yes, I definitively will visit Lijiang and Dali, probably I'll do a trip to see both successively.
Of course, I immediately thought of Song Wei, but indeed, he is very far from Yunnan!

@Mark Chan

It's interesting to know. It's unfortunate the Asia Ocarina Festival is so early in August, I think the schedule might be way too tight for me. But I'll see my options and the prices. Also, there's not a lot of info on this event... I hope it has not been cancelled.

I'm still undecided about what I'll do: take ocarina courses - which will be more easy to find than in France - or try a Chinese instrument while I have the opportunity. Due to my work load, I have to make a choice!

I had considered the Hulusi since there's a lot of them here, it's a wonderful instrument with a beautiful sound... but if I decided to play another instrument in addition to the ocarina, I think I'd like to try a string instrument to discover something completely new.
Edited by Ocypode, 4 Jul 2018, 04:14 AM.

Tennyson
Member Avatar
Flutist

Great! :)

I am quite sure you'll enjoy your stay there.

And enjoy the beautiful Lijiang.

Greetings! :)

Mark Chan
Member Avatar

Ocypode
4 Jul 2018, 04:11 AM
It's interesting to know. It's unfortunate the Asia Ocarina Festival is so early in August, I think the schedule might be way too tight for me. But I'll see my options and the prices. Also, there's not a lot of info on this event... I hope it has not been cancelled.
It's very much alive. :)
The organizers post on FB in several groups.
I was going to go, but I won't be able to make it anymore. :(

Ocypode
Double Ocarinist
They post on Facebook... For an event that is also for mainland China... Hum...

Well, at any rate, I have no Facebook account*, so the only info I had dated from December... Don't they have an actual website?

*and honestly, I dislike Facebook too much to even consider getting one... Even if that means missing opportunities from time to time.

Mark Chan
Member Avatar

Well, Asia Ocarina Festival is not just China, and Hong Kong's not exactly Mainland.

2010: Incheon (Korea)
2012: Nagoya (Japan)
2014: Beijing (China)
2016: Chiayi (Taiwan)
2018: Hong Kong (Technically China, but not Mainland)

A lot of the community is on Facebook, so if you don't have it, you won't get the updates. The organizers are in contact with Mainland China via WeChat, so you can probably find info via WeChat. The China Ocarina Art Society does does have a hand in planning it as well, so you can probably find some info on their website. Here is the link, though WeChat is still probably your best bet to find info.

Ocypode
Double Ocarinist
Thanks for the link. I'll have to find my way around with a translator :) I am learning mandarin on my spare time, but it takes a lot of time and I know only a handful of characters, far too few to read a text :)

For Wechat, I only use it (because I'm basically forced to) as an instant message service. So I've no clue on how to find events and things like that.

And I hope I didn't upset you, and if I did, please apologize me: I wrote "also for mainland China", meaning that mainland China is part of Asia, for that the festival seems relevant to mainland Chinese as well.
I know well Hong Kong is not in mainland China and that the laws are different and internet not censored as in mainland China.
Edited by Ocypode, 7 Jul 2018, 03:49 PM.

Mark Chan
Member Avatar

It's all good. I read it quickly and didn't see the also part.

WeChat is much more than a messaging service. With it, you don't ever have to carry cash around anymore because you pay for everything with it. Even the small mom & pop stores and street vendors selling fruits and vegetables use it to accept payment. Some restaurants don't even have paper menus anymore, and have you scan a QR code on the table to see the menu and order via WeChat. You can pay bills, get taxi, buy tickets, etc. It's very convenient. But if you don't have a Chinese bank card or a friend who can transfer money to you via WeChat, then you won't be able to take advantage of any of this stuff. :/

Anyways, enjoy your time in China. :)

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
« Previous Topic · Question and Answer · Next Topic »
Add Reply

Find us on Twitter Facebook | Read the FAQ