Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

- News Ticker

Donations - Please consider donating to The Ocarina Network to keep us afloat. More detail can be found in this topic.
The Ocarina Network - Serving the ocarina community since April 27th 2008
Welcome to The Ocarina Network, a place for ocarina enthusiasts from all around the globe!

You're currently viewing The Ocarina Network as a guest.

If you join The Ocarina Network, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customising your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. On top of that we have a great number of music scores and backtracks for you to download.

Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Register at The Ocarina Network!

If you're already a member please log into your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Unknown Ocarina; Some Details on Its Brand?
Topic Started: 4 Jun 2018, 07:04 AM (294 Views)
Tennyson
Member Avatar
Flutist

Hi! :)

I have just received the two ocarinas below in the pictures.

Spoiler: click to toggle

The first one (top of the picture) is an 'old' Night Provence Alto C, with 11 holes.

If I am not wrong, the Night Provence ocarinas were produced for Night by the current Maker of Popolo Ocarinas (after leaving, he founded his brand, Popolo Ocarina, and Night started to produce the models they sell currently), who was also the Maker of the 'old' models of Yamaha Ocarinas, before Yamaha started to 're-brand' the Aketa Ocarinas. Indeed, the Night Provence ocarinas are quite similar to the 'old' Yamaha ocarinas, even if they are incomparably better tuned and crafted.

The Night has 11 holes, does not require at all acute bend (and that is great), and is a quite reliable ocarina.

The question I would like to ask you respectfully is about the second ocarina.

What is the brand of that ocarina?

It is a very light and 'not-so-ergonomic' ocarina, an Alto C, very 'warm' / 'low' tone, with 'indents' for all the fingers, glaze on the top, from the windway and mouthpiece to the holes, 11 holes.

It plays horribly, high E and F are not in tune and, in any case, very airy, the acute bend does not help at all (in practice, it is possible to play in tune only till high D - already 'weak' - or, at least, till high C).

I have already seen this kind of ocarinas, but I cannot remember the brand and from where they come.

I am really sure TONians know the brand of this ocarina, and I would be very grateful if you can let me know.

Thank you very much for your kind attention.

I am looking forward to hearing from you.

Greetings! :)
Edited by Tennyson, 14 Jun 2018, 08:27 AM.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Tennyson
Member Avatar
Flutist

Hi.

So, well, eventually I have solved the enigma.

The 'unknown' ocarina is a Katoreya ocarina.

Katoreya Ocarina is a Japanese brand, but I have been unable to achieve other information, apart from the links of some 'expired' auctions,

1) Katoreya;

2) Katoreya;

3) Katoreya;

and the one owned (no idea if she owns it still) by Cris Gale,

4) Katoreya.

There are no other details, at least at the moment, apart from the fact that the name of the brand, Katoreya, should indicate a kind of orchid, Cattleya, "a tropical American orchid with brightly colored showy flowers and thick leaves, typically growing as an epiphyte. It is a popular greenhouse plant, with many hybrids".

There is a mention of Cattleya Ocarinas here, last section, entry 18 ("カトレアオカリナ2本 D管?(11穴)、B♭管?(11穴)"),

5) Cattleya.

However, there are no images.

Talking of orchids, it seems that there is a orchid called specifically Cattleya Ocarina (not only Cattleya, but Cattleya Ocarina),

6) Cattleya Orchid;

7) Ocarina.

There is a Japanese brand, Kato Ocarinas,

8) Kato.

However, their ocarinas are high quality instruments and they do not share similarities with Katoreya Ocarinas.

As told, the ocarina I have received is almost unplayable.

I do not know if it was unplayable originally or if it has been 'damaged' over time, becoming out of tune.

It seems quite smaller than the Alto C model in the links above, but it is another Alto C.

It would be interesting if somebody, here on TON, knew the Katoreya brand and can tell us something more about that.

Greetings.
Edited by Tennyson, 14 Jun 2018, 08:33 AM.

Tennyson
Member Avatar
Flutist

Hi, guys.

An update.

The Katoreya Ocarinas are also the quite popular - in Japan and not only in Japan - 'Totoro Ocarinas'.

Even though the Totoro Ocarinas resulted produced by Yamano Music, with "Copyright Nibariki", the shape and the (upper) glaze are clearly the ones of Katoreya Ocarinas ('fully and/or better glazed', as it were), so they are Alto C Katoreya Ocarinas, 11 holes.

The Totoro Ocarinas were produced in pink and blue colors, mainly, with some possible variants (blue or purple and pink?).

Here are some pictures, also with the brands Yamano and Nibariki, with the characteristic shape and glaze of Katoreya Ocarinas.

Blue Totoro Ocarina - Katoreya Ocarina

Nibariki Brand

Pink Totoro Ocarina - Katoreya Ocarina

Pink Totoro Ocarina - Katoreya Ocarina with Possible Variant

The 'Totoro Ocarinas' were not only produced 'using' the Katoreya Ocarina model.

Also the Night Ocarinas had their Totoro Ocarinas.

The model was an Alto C, like for the Katoreya Ocarinas, in Provence variant / version, 12 holes, now no longer produced by Night.

Also the Totoro Ocarinas - Night (Provence) Ocarinas resulted produced by Yamano Music, with "Copyright Nibariki".

Actually, both Katoreya Ocarinas and Night (Provence) Ocarinas, when they have 'become' Totoro Ocarinas, have been 'rebranded' like Yamano and/or Nibariki.

And here are some pictures of the Night (Provence) Totoro Ocarina, in blue and yellow colors.

Blue and Yellow Totoro Ocarina - Night Provence Alto C Ocarina

The story and/or history of the Katoreya Ocarinas I am discovering quite slowly is always more interesting, also 'philologically'.

It would be very interesting and valuable that someone, here on TON, was able to add details or to explain more in depth the story and/or history of these ocarinas.
Edited by Tennyson, 14 Jun 2018, 08:23 AM.

Wollemi Pine
Member Avatar
Triple-Double Ocarinist

I'm glad you solved the mysteries! I still have a few ocarinas that are unidentified.

Tennyson
Member Avatar
Flutist

Thank you very much! :)

I am quite sure there are other 'secrets' to be 'unveiled' about Katoreya Ocarinas (who is / was the Maker? Are the ocarinas still produced? What different kinds of ocarinas were / are available? Were / are they good quality [as far as mine, it seems no, but it is possible that mine has been damaged]?).

And also the 'rebranding' is always a 'practice' that leads to confusion and to a 'dispersion' of the 'diachronic' development of ocarinas.

What are your unidentified ocarinas?

Thank you again and greetings! :)

Ocypode
Double Ocarinist
It's really interesting... I think a book/website about the different ocarina would be extremely useful, perhaps especially so with Asian ocarinas.
The forum is great for preserving many info, still, it is complicated to find infos.

For instance, I remember someone reviewing the Katoreya Totoro ocarina -- which could have given us some insights on the general quality of their ocarinas... But I cannot find it... To be honest, I'm not sure it was on this website.
Edited by Ocypode, 16 Jun 2018, 03:14 AM.

Tennyson
Member Avatar
Flutist

Thanks! :)

Unfortunately, I did not find any review of the 'Totoro Ocarinas' either.

Of course, all information would be valuable.

After all, the history of ocarinas is something 'philological', not having to get back in time only to Budrio or to the prehistoric ocarinas, but having to try to reconstruct also the developments of brands that could appear not-so-well-known or that have been discontinued.

Thanks again and greetings! :)
Edited by Tennyson, 17 Jun 2018, 04:03 AM.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
« Previous Topic · Question and Answer · Next Topic »
Add Reply

Find us on Twitter Facebook | Read the FAQ