Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

- News Ticker

Donations - Please consider donating to The Ocarina Network to keep us afloat. More detail can be found in this topic.
The Ocarina Network - Serving the ocarina community since April 27th 2008
Welcome to The Ocarina Network, a place for ocarina enthusiasts from all around the globe!

You're currently viewing The Ocarina Network as a guest.

If you join The Ocarina Network, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customising your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. On top of that we have a great number of music scores and backtracks for you to download.

Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Register at The Ocarina Network!

If you're already a member please log into your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
STL and TNG Purple Clay; 'Same' Brand, two Different 'Series'
Topic Started: 26 Apr 2018, 07:59 AM (264 Views)
Tennyson
Member Avatar
Flutist
Hi! :)

I upload below some pictures of a STL Purple Clay Soprano C ocarina and a TNG Purple Clay Soprano C ocarina.

The STL Purple Clay series is produced by TNG.

However, the TNG model is quite different from the STL model (windway, shape, consistence, sound - to some extent -, color).

I was thinking they were the same.

My question is, is TNG producing a special 'line' of purple clay ocarinas for STL?

And, if yes, why? What is 'wrong' with the original TNG models?

At the level of sound, the two models are both ok, way 'sweeter' than other soprano ocarinas. However, they definitely 'play' differently.

A little bit paradoxically, the TNG model has the TNG stamp / 'brand' on it, while the STL model has the TNG stamp in Japanese (they are Japanese, not Chinese, characters, which is weird, since TNG is from Taiwan) on its 'back'. The 'Japanese' TNG stamp on the 'back' of the STL ocarina says, more or less, "House of the Clay Flute", and it is the same visible on the TNG website.

I was wondering about the differences of these two 'lines' of purple clay ocarinas produced by the same maker and if somebody knows the story / history behind them.

Moreover, at least at the moment, STL seems to sell its 'special' TNG purple clay 'line' only for the Soprano C, Soprano F, and Alto C models (I do not call them with the STL 'terminology'), while the Bass C model is a 'regular' TNG model, as well as the related double and triple purple clay ocarinas, STL Website.

However, I remember also an Alto G Purple Clay ocarina sold by STL, and it was like the 'special' ones (I own the 'regular' TNG model, and it is quite different).

Can somebody help in explaining this purple clay 'double series' produced by TNG and its / their characteristics?

Thank you very much! :)

Pictures

Spoiler: click to toggle

Edited by Tennyson, 26 Apr 2018, 08:05 AM.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

TheZ
Member Avatar
Multichamber Ocarinist
The ones STL sells are the same models they've been selling for years. TNG used to sell the same model; however, they've changed and updated the line a couple times in the past couple years.

Tennyson
Member Avatar
Flutist

Thank you very much for your kind reply! :)

Unfortunately, I have seen it only today.

If I have well understood, the STL one is the 'standard' / 'original' model, while the TNG one is the 'updated' / 'newer' model, is it right?

Actually, the STL model is, at the 'conceptual' level, 'older' than the TNG one (I mean the models in my pictures)?

I am looking forward to hearing from you and thank you very much again! :)

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
« Previous Topic · Question and Answer · Next Topic »
Add Reply

Find us on Twitter Facebook | Read the FAQ