Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

- News Ticker

Donations - Please consider donating to The Ocarina Network to keep us afloat. More detail can be found in this topic.
The Ocarina Network - Serving the ocarina community since April 27th 2008
Welcome to The Ocarina Network, a place for ocarina enthusiasts from all around the globe!

You're currently viewing The Ocarina Network as a guest.

If you join The Ocarina Network, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customising your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. On top of that we have a great number of music scores and backtracks for you to download.

Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Register at The Ocarina Network!

If you're already a member please log into your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Whaddya think?
This fingering is widely more difficult >:( 6 (75%)
The difficulty is roughly the same, it could be interesting :) 1 (12.5%)
It's more easy to play than the common fingering. I think it can be pretty useful :D 1 (12.5%)
Total Votes: 8
No More Pinky Holes No More No More; "If otters were rocks, I would enjoy eating them." ~J.S.Bach
Topic Started: 4 Apr 2018, 11:01 PM (500 Views)
Titouan
Member Avatar
The Fluffiest Maker :3
Your pinkies hurt because of your ocarina?
No worries, here's a new fingering :D

Diagram #1

I just moved the pinky-holes to subholes, at the left, like in this other diagram :

Diagram #2

So, whaddya think? Do you think it's more "playable" than a common fingering? Subholes are perhaps more difficult to use than pinky-holes?

~Titouan

N.B.: One of the C# sharp-alternative can't be played, but it's a very small problem.

P.S.: If the diagrams don't appear, don't hesitate to tell me it. These are here too.

P.P.S.: Sorry for the mistakes, my English is baaad -.-;

P.P.P.S.: Lmao it's the first time I write a ppps :jumpy:
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Kae
Transverse Ocarinist x 5
I would be afraid that the extra subholes might be too big to cover easily or may be awkward to play in general. I had a maxrange pendent from STL. It isn't the same fingering system at all but switching chambers required moving both index and middle fingers inward or outward and it was really awkward for me to play. I never could switch chambers smoothly because of it. Obviously there is no chamber switching but subholes can sometimes be awkward to play and I don't know if having some fingers almost constantly stretched out would be much easier.
My pinkies only hurt when an ocarina didn't fit well in my hands/ ergonomics of ocarina, poor hand posture, or if I haven't "worked out" my finger muscles in a long time. A lot of times for me it goes away after a few days. But I'm not an expert either.

acox
Andy Cox
various fingering for a more consistent fingerhole hole sizes would be a nice product

RoseWolf95
Beginner
I haven't noticed any pain in my pinkies. If you experience it, I would guess that you're holding too tight or the ocarina doesn't fit your hands well enough. The ocarina should be fairly balanced on your thumbs, and you don't need to press tightly to close a hole. I guess if you feel like you're using your left pinky a lot to hold it steady that might be a problem, but that shouldn't really be necessary.

I also tend to find that sliding a finger that's already covering a hole to get another subhole is a bit of a hassle, but maybe that's just me.

I do think that this could be a good idea though, if people like it. You obviously thought about it a bit, and made the three point hold still make sense. It's always fun to see people playing with ocarina fingerings anyway, since it's so versatile regarding placement.

Titouan
Member Avatar
RoseWolf95

I haven't noticed any pain in my pinkies. If you experience it, I would guess that you're holding too tight or the ocarina doesn't fit your hands well enough. The ocarina should be fairly balanced on your thumbs, and you don't need to press tightly to close a hole. I guess if you feel like you're using your left pinky a lot to hold it steady that might be a problem, but that shouldn't really be necessary.

I didn't myself experienced pain in my pinkies, but I noticed several people did c:

RoseWolf95

I also tend to find that sliding a finger that's already covering a hole to get another subhole is a bit of a hassle, but maybe that's just me.

I agree - subholes are pain x)

RoseWolf95

I do think that this could be a good idea though, if people like it. You obviously thought about it a bit, and made the three point hold still make sense. It's always fun to see people playing with ocarina fingerings anyway, since it's so versatile regarding placement.

Thank you so much, RoseWolf95 :D

acox

various fingering for a more consistent fingerhole hole sizes would be a nice product

Thank you for this kind reply, acox :3

Kae

I would be afraid that the extra subholes might be too big to cover easily or may be awkward to play in general. I had a maxrange pendent from STL. It isn't the same fingering system at all but switching chambers required moving both index and middle fingers inward or outward and it was really awkward for me to play. I never could switch chambers smoothly because of it. Obviously there is no chamber switching but subholes can sometimes be awkward to play and I don't know if having some fingers almost constantly stretched out would be much easier.
My pinkies only hurt when an ocarina didn't fit well in my hands/ ergonomics of ocarina, poor hand posture, or if I haven't "worked out" my finger muscles in a long time. A lot of times for me it goes away after a few days. But I'm not an expert either.

Thanks for your reply Kae :D
I think subholes will be too big too.

(Sorry for my English, there are probably several mistakes :S )

Ocypode
Double Ocarinist
No pain in pinkies, and I find it more complicated to use subholes... To bad I don't have a sixth finger to get rid of subholes instead :)
Last but not least:
I fear that the first sharp (C# on Alto C) would be awkward to play.

Titouan
Member Avatar
Ocypode

No pain in pinkies, and I find it more complicated to use subholes... To bad I don't have a sixth finger to get rid of subholes instead :)
Last but not least:
I fear that the first sharp (C# on Alto C) would be awkward to play.

Thank for replying c:

I think the same thing, subholes are too difficult, so are the sharps...

If one day I plan to sell, then I will suggest this fingering as an option I think :)

acox
Andy Cox
Pinkies may not be the question. Many questions may be in order for having the lower notes have more volume. location of the fingerholes? Different fingering....All may be just one of the many answers. I'm having a blast trying various fingering for notes, especially for rapid playing from high f chromatically down to b flat. Good to see experimentation

Comrade_Derpsky
Member Avatar
Inline Ocarinist
You would have a lot of difficulty playing anything fast with a design like this due to how often you'd need to use the subholes.

RoseWolf95
Beginner
Another thing that people haven't mentioned is that not everyone has 10 working fingers, and this could be useful for that. People can adapt to disabilities and be really dextrous, but if you're missing a pinky finger you're probably not going to be able to cover the pinky hole. Ocarinas can adapt and put their finger holes wherever the player can best reach them.

Titouan
Member Avatar
RoseWolf95

Another thing that people haven't mentioned is that not everyone has 10 working fingers, and this could be useful for that. People can adapt to disabilities and be really dextrous, but if you're missing a pinky finger you're probably not going to be able to cover the pinky hole. Ocarinas can adapt and put their finger holes wherever the player can best reach them.

I didn't think about this :D
Indeed it's a good idea C:

~Titouan

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
« Previous Topic · Ocarina Making · Next Topic »
Add Reply

Find us on Twitter Facebook | Read the FAQ