Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

- News Ticker

Donations - Please consider donating to The Ocarina Network to keep us afloat. More detail can be found in this topic.
The Ocarina Network - Serving the ocarina community since April 27th 2008
Welcome to The Ocarina Network, a place for ocarina enthusiasts from all around the globe!

You're currently viewing The Ocarina Network as a guest.

If you join The Ocarina Network, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customising your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. On top of that we have a great number of music scores and backtracks for you to download.

Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Register at The Ocarina Network!

If you're already a member please log into your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Is membranophonic ocarina (kazoo ocarina) feasible? And brasswind?; Speaking about an hypothetical ocarina kazoo fusion.
Topic Started: 13 Mar 2018, 04:44 PM (386 Views)
Steamboy
Member Avatar
Pendant Ocarinist
I was wondering if it is possible to modify or build an ocarina with some membrane system or resonant membrane, or a special structure;
that allows you to modify the timbre or add a second resonant sound to the sound of the ocarina itself, and controllable with simply trying to produce guttural or laryngeal sound; such as a kazoo or a medieval onion flute.

The other question is whether it is possible to build an ocarina that works like brasswind instruments: instead of producing sound by blowing only the tab, that produces sound by sympathetic vibration of air in a tubular resonator in sympathy with the vibration of the player's lips.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

acox
Andy Cox
yes it is possible!

Titouan
Member Avatar
The Fluffiest Maker :3
I think it would be very difficult! But possible at least xD

Daniel
Member Avatar
Double Ocarinist x 3
Andy, do you have any pictures of yours?

acox
Andy Cox
don't know at this point. I do have several closed tubular flutes having various possibilities. One even has a kazoo part placed in it--the search for a suitable membrane has been time-consuming. The Dutch Guild has run into this problem too.

My major source for examples has been the globular flutes in meso-America. Their "ocarinas' had a raised surface around a fingerhole sized opening. A membrane was then applied. TYhe resultant effect on ocarinas is marvelous WHEN a membrane can be found and/or attached allowing for all pitches of the instrument to vibrate. Dried inner onion skins work well until the humidity is absorbed. "Certain plastics" also can work. Varnished condenser paper (indoor model airplane papers) also work. but as stated, this takes time and one gets bored, BUT WHEN ONE DOES find a membrane to work, the result is amazing

Many folk have tried and I would be interested in their findings. During the winter, I do not work outside with wet clay (kinda hard on folk with arthritis in their fingers!). but applied to the closed tenor-sized flutes (Tenor "C") and lower, yes, the result is amazing.

a
it is too cold to rummage thru the shop this aft. I do have this picture of one of my trials

funny and too loud. sounds as a trumpet.

a quieter one is a 1/4" simple hole with a membrane stretched. My search is for the warm buzz .

I want a "rankett" sound, not a racket!
Attached to this post:
Attachments: P1010941.jpg (81.91 KB)
Edited by acox, 14 Mar 2018, 08:44 PM.

Ocypode
Double Ocarinist
It's quite easy to do a Kazoo-ocarina: just attach a spare kazoo membrane on top of one of the thumb hole, and you're ready to go!

I tried just now with my Alto G, with a spare Kazoo membrane held on top of the right thumb hole by a rubber band: I was able to play without problem the lower register, starting from F#5, it was more complicated, probably due to air leaking, but I'm sure that an ocarina designed to accommodate an optional membrane would work like a charm.

Edit: it's even better with the membrane on top of the left-hand pinky hole, the sound is more agreeable and I only loose the high C. I still have some air-leak issues though.
Edited by Ocypode, 22 Mar 2018, 10:00 AM.

CFWhitman
Initiate
My first thought was that it would seem like if it works for a dizi, which is basically a transverse flute with a membrane hole, then it should be possible on an ocarina as well. Apparently that is true.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
« Previous Topic · Question and Answer · Next Topic »
Add Reply

Find us on Twitter Facebook | Read the FAQ