Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

- News Ticker

Donations - Please consider donating to The Ocarina Network to keep us afloat. More detail can be found in this topic.
The Ocarina Network - Serving the ocarina community since April 27th 2008
Welcome to The Ocarina Network, a place for ocarina enthusiasts from all around the globe!

You're currently viewing The Ocarina Network as a guest.

If you join The Ocarina Network, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customising your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. On top of that we have a great number of music scores and backtracks for you to download.

Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Register at The Ocarina Network!

If you're already a member please log into your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Multichamber Bass G Ocarina (Other than Focalink)?; Are there any multichamber bass G ocarinas currently available besides Focalink/Stein?
Topic Started: 28 Feb 2018, 04:15 PM (440 Views)
CFWhitman
Initiate
I've been looking at getting a multichamber bass G ocarina for certain music that goes too low for my bass C triple. There is a Focalink/Stein bass G double ocarina available for $730 US, and I was wondering if that is the only choice currently available. I'm sure the Focalink ocarina is a good instrument. However, before I consider spending that much money, I wonder if there are any cheaper alternatives or even hand-made alternatives whether they are cheaper or not. Basically, any currently available alternative would be interesting to me. It seems that most makers don't have a multichamber deeper than a bass C, but the prospect of a bass G multichamber is intriguing (though I'm not sure I could handle a triple that big).
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Whynaut
Inline Ocarinist x 3
Hi! So Imperial City Ocarina could probably do this for you. They average between $150-$200 for multichambers. And they build custom. Here is their webpage.
There is also Ocarina Luna Celta who makes lots of multichamber bass ocarinas and could probably make you one.

Best of luck!
Edited by Whynaut, 28 Feb 2018, 09:23 PM.

JordonMB
Member Avatar
Ocarina Enthusiast
I actually own the bass G double ocarina by Focalink. It is in fact wonderful. Everyone I play it to comments that it has a very mellow, warming tone. The only fallback is that it is a very heavy instrument that makes the hands sore after even ten minutes of playing. I definitely recommend it but it is quite expensive. I have a double ocarina one octave higher made by Takashi which is much more comfortable to play and costed me about half the price. Maybe you should consider buying something smaller instead?

I've also bought an Imperial City Ocarina quad ocarina, which is very nice. I like that the weight is noticeably lighter than Focalinks Double Bass G, and being a Bass C ocarina it sounds very mellow as well. One drawback of the quad is that the flat bottom isn't the most ergonomic design, but overall ICO makes quality products.

I would recommend you purchase one of ICO's triples in the key of F. Honestly, I find that the pitch is the most favorable. My first ocarina was Sonbird's "Dark Muse in key of F" and it is still my favorite because it's beautiful, comfortable, and easy on the ears.
As far as I know no other ocarina producer offers bass G double ocarinas.
All apologies for getting a little carried away there! My input wouldn't be too useful for you other than my experience with the double Bass G. I hope other guests/users can make use of my suggestions.
Oh, and hey, anyone considering buying ICO's triple in F should keep in mind the differences between the extended range and the standard. I have heard that the extended range is rarely used and makes playing the third chamber less comfortable, and the added notes sound weak. Just keep it in mind.
Edited by JordonMB, 4 Mar 2018, 11:04 PM.

Ocarina Newbie!
Pendant Ocarinist x 5
Whynaut
28 Feb 2018, 09:21 PM
Hi! So Imperial City Ocarina could probably do this for you. They average between $150-$200 for multichambers. And they build custom. Here is their webpage.
There is also Ocarina Luna Celta who makes lots of multichamber bass ocarinas and could probably make you one.

Best of luck!
thanks for the tips on the ico triples. I have in fact been looking at an F triple bass and a regular triple. My C5 hurts my right thumb atm after a bit, so untill they are stronger or I get better technique through practice(or both!), probably need to hold off on one that is heavy after 10 mins

Rughead
Member Avatar
cheap cracked plastic pendant Ocarinist x 3
Hmm, I'd go with a custom made double bass G by ICO. They love custom challenges. I have a few custom ICO's myself. Anything more than a double would probably be too heavy. I've never heard a double bass G. I'll have to look into that.

Curtis

Daniel
Member Avatar
Double Ocarinist x 3
Yep, ask Bill at ICO and he'll let you know if they can do it!

Ocarina Newbie!
Pendant Ocarinist x 5
*edit* I mean only to say that Aminor is rare for ocarina, so theyll make you whatever you like at ICO, within reason.

Yes they made a 10 hole in Aminor for me recently. asking first to make sure that I 'really want a 10 hole in Aminor???'

They did enjoy the challenge, and it was their first :)
Edited by Ocarina Newbie!, 6 Mar 2018, 09:42 PM.

CFWhitman
Initiate
It's interesting that I got the suggestion to try a custom order from ICO, because that was one avenue I was already considering exploring. I have heard mention of a multichamber bass G of other kinds than Focalink, but I suspect they were actually referring to what I would consider a tenor G. I'm sure that such a custom job would be more expensive than most ICO ocarinas, but I'm also quite certain it would be cheaper than the Focalink.

I already have other types of ocarinas. The reason for my looking into a bass G double is to cover lower parts than my bass C triple can cover in a mixed ensemble. Of course, an ocarina that low could have issues being heard as well.

Thanks to everyone for their input.
Edited by CFWhitman, 7 Mar 2018, 09:10 AM.

spoonyspork
Member Avatar
L'il Tooter
Song Wei (maker of the ICO's) currently has a single chamber bass G in development (may already have it out in fact!), but a multi bass G is another beast all together. Doesn't hurt to ask though :) ... I really think there is nothing Song Wei can't do.

As for the extended range triples, the notes aren't weaker at all that I've found, though it can be uncomfortable to play. A lot more comfortable than other extended ranges out there though. I do find the extended doubles to be comfortable, and find a lot more use from them than even a regular triple (usually just need that one extra note).

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
« Previous Topic · Question and Answer · Next Topic »
Add Reply

Find us on Twitter Facebook | Read the FAQ