Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

- News Ticker

Donations - Please consider donating to The Ocarina Network to keep us afloat. More detail can be found in this topic.
The Ocarina Network - Serving the ocarina community since April 27th 2008
Welcome to The Ocarina Network, a place for ocarina enthusiasts from all around the globe!

You're currently viewing The Ocarina Network as a guest.

If you join The Ocarina Network, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customising your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. On top of that we have a great number of music scores and backtracks for you to download.

Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Register at The Ocarina Network!

If you're already a member please log into your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Some questions about recording; I'd like to start recording, but how?
Topic Started: 28 Feb 2018, 12:44 AM (898 Views)
Gemstone
Member Avatar
invisible ties
Hey there,

after some time of inactivity I'd like to ask you some stuff again. First thing, as I recently started to play flute next to ocarina I'd like to record myself for learning etc. I'm probably going to participate in a concert at the end of April so it would be nice to have a record from there, too. I've got two possibilities for recording gear I'd like to discuss with you.

1) Some time ago I bought a Shure SM58 and didn't get the time to properly learn to work with it, so my first possibility is to use it more. For that I'd need (I guess) a proper microphone stand for placing the mic safely, which I haven't got yet.

2) I learned about "flute microphones" which are meant to be used on the head joint (or foot joint) of a transverse flute. Would that be a good possibility, is the qualitiy good?
A friend of my boyfriend's owns a 3D printer and offered to print an adapter from a "usual" clip microphone to the flute, a kind of ring to mount the clip microphone onto the flute, so that there wouldn't be the need to buy a specific flute microphone. Do you know good clip microphones for picking up wind instruments, could you recommend me one?
Do you think that would be safe and proper enough? I haven't got experience with 3D printed objects, so I don't know if it would break or anything. On the other hand, I thought it would be possible to have a second ring printed which would fit my ocarina (wooden bass C ocarina from Hind). Are there any issues one would need to keep in mind because of vibration of the instruments? Would that be removed during audio editing?
What do you think would be the best solution regarding the audio quality in the end? (Also, maybe considering the time required to edit properly) I've heard some nice recordings made with flute mics, but I don't know how much they are edited and and how much time it takes to edit them, and how dfficult it is.

Another question - do you know if it possible to directly connect the Shure SM58 to a DSLR camera with audio in pin? I know there are cables for the connection, but not sure if it would really work.

I'm not sure if this is the right place to ask. Please feel free to move to topic if it fits better somewhere else.
Off-topic: I'm going on a short trip from Thursday to Tuesday, so I'll answer afterwards or sometime when I got internet :)

Thank you in advance for your answers!
Carina
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Leomar625
Beginner
I have the same question

Achint
Member Avatar
Fat Mouse >^_^<

http://theocarinanetwork.com/topic/6994315/1/

http://theocarinanetwork.com/topic/6995149/1/#new

:D

Gemstone
Member Avatar
invisible ties
Hey Achint,
thanks a lot for your answer and the links to your guides :) I really appreciate the work you've done there, it gave me a first impression about recording, also it is the reason I chose the SM58 first.
I've already read through and bookmarked your guides earlier, however, I'm not sure if I could find the answers ro my questions there (or maybe, not clear enough).
So do you not recommend clip microphones (even with XLR cables) or flute microphones at all? An example is the Audix ADX10, also Yamaha has one which I forgot the name of. I just found there are other solutions from Auido-Technica which are too expensive for me. I have to say I think this Audix mic looks quite nice, and I've heard nice songs made with it, but I don't know about the mic itself or similar mics with the "flute adapter".

Some thoughts for understanding, a bit off-topic again, sorry about that- I'd like to be able to record my own progress and occasionally send recordings to friends in decent/good quality. (Later it would be great to record duets with friends). Basically, I got everything for this, apart from the questions I wrote about in the topic start. Even audio editing software is principally available (Adobe Audition, as we got the whole Adobe CC package). Only the audio interface I got available is a bit old, but I thought not that bad. Also I'm interested in techincal background and requirements of recording and editing - I don't know anything about Audition, but I'd love to learn it. Maybe too difficult to start, what do you think?

Anyway, I'm sorry if I missed some important information in your guides and read over the parts that would answer my questions from the start, or misunderstood something. I would greatly appreciate it if you or some one else could answer my questions directly or highlight the part of the guides which answer them.

Thank you a lot in advance.

Best regards,
Carina

Harp Player
Member Avatar
Triple Ocarinist
I don't know anything about the Flute microphones, but the SM58 is a great microphone that works well in both life sound and for making recordings. I would suggest that you get a $20 boom stand and experiment. You might also want to consider either a foam wind screen that fits directly on the microphone or a wind screen that goes between the microphone and instrument to help cut down on wind noise ( you could make one out of an old stocking and a wire hoop).

Gemstone
Member Avatar
invisible ties
Thank you for your recommendation, I followed it and got a microphone stand! :) Now I'm going to experiment with it. As for the wind screen, would it be necessary in any case, or could I avoid needing one if I point the microphone not directly at the air stream so that noise recording would be diminished? Anyway, I'm going to look for a wind screen that fits my microphone first. Thank you for your help!

Wollemi Pine
Member Avatar
Triple-Double Ocarinist

The SM58 is a well regarded microphone (I have the SM57). For vocals, a wind screen (or pop filter) is usually recommended

Harp Player
Member Avatar
Triple Ocarinist
You need a wind screen to keep down the wind noise. The pick pattern of the SM58 is designed to pick up sounds directly in front of the microphone, so if you point it away from the instrument you won't pick it up as well.

Gemstone
Member Avatar
invisible ties
Okay thanks, so I'll get one.

Edit: It's the SM57 I got, not the SM58. But I think that doesn't change anything.
Edited by Gemstone, 6 Mar 2018, 07:35 PM.

Achint
Member Avatar
Fat Mouse >^_^<

SM58 and SM57 have the same internal stuff, just the cap on the top that's different.

As far as clip on microphones go, they're pretty neat. I've only tried microphones by a company called DPA. However, I still prefer getting non instrument specific microphones just for versatility sake.
Harp Player is correct, they will pick up sounds directly in front of the microphone, but that's true for any microphone that isn't bidirectional or omni directional.

The thing about the 57 though is that it's a dynamic microphone and not a condenser. What this means is that it's less sensitive than, say, a Audio Technica AT 2020. It captures sounds just as well, but you do need to get in a bit closer.

Now because you have the SM57 you need one other piece of gear to actually connect it to your computer and that's an interface. Look up Focusrite Scarlett 2i2. That's what I personally use and it's a pretty good piece of gear for its price. What it is is one giant sound card connected to your computer and the mic gets connected to that. I wouldn't use a adapter to change the SM57's XLR connector to a heaphone/combo jack because it would suffer a serious drop in quality. Ive written about interfaces in my guide so just have a look at that section.

TLDR: SM57 is great, use it. I haven't got extensive knowledge on clip on microphones. The DPA ones are great though. To connect your SM57 to the computer you'll need an interface, dont use adapters.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BatrbM03fxY

That's something I've recorded using the Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 interface and a SM58.

Kitten Forest
Member Avatar
Double Ocarinist x 2
Does anyone know if camera mics are good for ocarinas? You know the long ones that attach to a DSLR where the flash would go and have the fuzzy sleve on them? My dad has one that he occasionally lets me borrow but if there are other options, then I might want to look into getting my own.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
« Previous Topic · Articles and Guides · Next Topic »
Add Reply

Find us on Twitter Facebook | Read the FAQ