Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

- News Ticker

Donations - Please consider donating to The Ocarina Network to keep us afloat. More detail can be found in this topic. •
The Ocarina Network - Serving the ocarina community since April 27th 2008
Welcome to The Ocarina Network, a place for ocarina enthusiasts from all around the globe!

You're currently viewing The Ocarina Network as a guest.

If you join The Ocarina Network, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customising your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. On top of that we have a great number of music scores and backtracks for you to download.

Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Register at The Ocarina Network!

If you're already a member please log into your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Kato Ocarinas; Some Details?
Topic Started: 21 Feb 2018, 09:31 AM (459 Views)
Tennyson
Member Avatar
Flutist

Hi! :)

Just a quick question.

Does anyone own or know Kato ocarinas?

Here's a link from the English version of Rakuten, Kato Ocarina.

What kind of ocarinas are they?

Thanks a lot in advance.

Greetings! :)
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Whynaut
Inline Ocarinist x 3
Based on the link you posted it seems like a standard Alto F ocarina. I can’t speak to the quality but I did some searching and found this video that has someone playing an alto C. Granted, this has professional audio editing and shouldn’t be taken as the true sound, it doesn’t sound bad to my ears.

Amerred
Member Avatar
Can't play pendants
I've seen them around before, but they're not exceedingly common/well-known in the west. They ought to be fine (especially given the price), but there seems to be options which are both more affordable and of better quality. Of course, quality is subjective. But you can generally get top-of-the-line single chamber ocarinas for a much lower price.

Obviously my answer doesn't provide much information on the brand itself; the most I can say is that there is a wide variety of ocarinas from eastern Asia (all throughout Japan, Korea, and parts of China) which are not well-documented outside of that region. I know lots of relatively small makers EXIST in that area but ultimately know very little about the specific qualities of their instruments (except for physical appearance). I know that Roberto started compiling information on Japanese ocarinas a while back, you might be able to find some of those threads if you scroll through the... uh... probably the Asian ocarinas section.

Tennyson
Member Avatar
Flutist

Thank you very much for your kind answers!! :)

Indeed, these Kato Ocarinas seem 'quality ocarinas' (because of the price), but, as you have told, they are a little bit 'unknown'.

Talking about Japanese ocarinas, do you know the Suzuki Ocarinas?

Here is a link from eBay, Suzuki Ocarinas.

I did not find almost anything about them, however, they seem to be quite good musical instruments. :)

Whynaut
Inline Ocarinist x 3
Suzuki brand instruments have a very good reputation. Mostly for pianos and classroom instruments for children, as well as the q chord for music therapy. They aren’t currently producing ocarinas as far as I can tell so it’s hard to say whether or not this is a Suzuki brand instrument or a small builder/mass production using the same name.
That said, this instrument seems more reasonably priced than the other, so if you are willing to take the plunge you won’t be spending as much.

If you are looking for an alto F I’d recommend Stein which I had a hard time linking correctly, or this STL, or This one

Tennyson
Member Avatar
Flutist
Thank you very much! :)

I know very well the Suzuki musical instruments brand, but I am not sure these ocarinas, Suzuki Ocarina, are produced by 'that' Suzuki; I was asking, indeed, to try to 'discover' that. :)

They seem, in a way, similar to Ti Amo Ocarinas, Ti Amo Ocarina, even if not exactly the same.

I do own some good Alto F ocarinas. The best one (but terribly expensive) is a Night Fioretto Alto F, Night Ocarina, great ocarina, wonderful sound, delicate, extremely stable, joyful instrument to be played, very high quality (but, as told, very very very very expensive), then a Night Ensemble Alto F Ocarina, Night Ensemble (again, great instrument, not so different from the Fioretto model, just more oriented - as the name says - to play in 'ensemble'), a TNG Enigma Alto F Ocarina (not bad at all, quite accurate in its tone, as well as the TNG Enigma Bass C model,
Spoiler: click to toggle
) [unfortunately, no link online], a Popolo Standard Alto F Ocarina (with a very 'special' tone) Popolo Ocarina, and an Alto F Imperial City Ocarina, beautifully glazed by Tina (ocarina playing wonderfully, with a really quiet tone that also my cat likes) ICO Ocarina.

If, with 'Alto', you mean / use the STL terminology, the best Soprano F ocarina I have, at the moment, is the TNG Purple Clay Soprano F (not the current STL model, in the link, but the original TNG one: they have a different windway), TNG Ocarina, STL version, great, in my opinion, even if it requires to be mastered (very well), if you want to get the best from it. Absolutely great is also the Night Ensemble Soprano F Ocarina I own, beautiful, 'dolce' sound, and very stable, I like it a lot, Night Ocarina. I have also a 'couple' of Hong Xiao Soprano F Ocarinas, Hong Xiao Ocarina, blue and white, both high quality ocarinas, even if a little bit 'airy' in the high notes (that has refrained me to look for a Hong Xiao Alto C Ocarina). I own also a Yamaha Soprano F ocarina (actually, an Aketa ocarina re-branded by Yamaha), Yamaha Ocarina, which is quite nice in its very crafted appearence, sounding very bright if compared to the textured tone of the Soprano C Yamaha (Aketa), Yamaha Ocarina, and Aketa models - Aketa Ocarina - (both 13 holes models; my Yamaha Soprano C Ocarina, even if it is an Aketa Ocarina, has a less textured sound than my Aketa Soprano C Ocarina). I have also two Samick Soprano F Ocarinas, Samick Ocarina, peach and green, but they have some 'issues' and they are not at the same level of the above ones. I would like to try a Focalink Soprano F Strawfire Ocarina (at the moment, I got only Soprano C, Soprano G, and Alto C), Focalink Ocarina.

The Stein (Focalink / FengYa) ocarinas you have kindly linked are Alto C models. I own the 'duck' one (blue), Focalink Ocarina, very beautiful, a little bit 'airy' in the high notes, if compared with the Alto C Strawfire Focalink model, Focalink Ocarina, which does not require 'acute bend' (a true Alto C ocarina, like all the 12 holes Alto C ocarinas should be, even if very 'bright' in its tone, thing that can not be the favorite aspect for all the ocarina players).

I would like to try the Suzuki Alto C Ocarina, Suzuki Ocarina. Perhaps, one day, I'll get one.

Thank you very much for your kind answer. :)

Does anybody know something more about Kato Ocarinas and Suzuki Ocarinas?

Thanks.

Greetings! :)
Edited by Tennyson, 24 Feb 2018, 07:34 AM.

kissing
Member Avatar
tyrannical dictator

If it's a Japanese ocarina, ask Tom Vanopphem on the TON Facebook page. He's bound to know something.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
« Previous Topic · Question and Answer · Next Topic »
Add Reply

Find us on TwitterFacebook | Read the FAQ