Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

- News Ticker

Donations - Please consider donating to The Ocarina Network to keep us afloat. More detail can be found in this topic.
The Ocarina Network - Serving the ocarina community since April 27th 2008
Welcome to The Ocarina Network, a place for ocarina enthusiasts from all around the globe!

You're currently viewing The Ocarina Network as a guest.

If you join The Ocarina Network, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customising your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. On top of that we have a great number of music scores and backtracks for you to download.

Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Register at The Ocarina Network!

If you're already a member please log into your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Coconut oil or Chapstick for multichamber ocarina
Topic Started: 8 Feb 2018, 01:40 AM (142 Views)
budoc
Inline Ocarinist
Hey everyone, I've been having a hard time with finding a good Chapstick that helps me switch chambers with ease. My main problem with playing my new double at this point is that my lips seem to stick to the chambers as I attempt to switch.

After trying Aquaphor and a different Chapstick that is oil based, I still haven't found one that helps my lips easily glide across the ocarina. However, earlier today I decided to try coconut oil. I applied a small amount to my lips and it worked really well. My concern is that it might not be good for the windway of the ocarina. Even when trying to apply the minimum amount, I'm not sure if there will be adverse repercussions if too much seeps into the inside of where you blow. The inside of my regular double sweet potato songbird ocarina does not appear to be glazed in the interior.

Does anyone have any experience with this or know if it is bad or not to use an oil for lubrication for chamber switching? And also, does anyone have any specific recommendations for a brand or specific kind of Chapstick that would work well for chamber switching?

Thanks so much :)
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Osh
Beginner
Thanks for the idea. I can't imagine it'd have an adverse effect, but coconut oil's consistency DOES change from a liquid to a solid and it's dependent on its temperature, so that may be an issue.

bigray
Transverse Ocarinist x 3
I tried lubricants one, it felt terrible to play with and left the ocarina sticky. I had this problem on one of my ocarinas - takashi DAC (surprised j didn't have the problem on his TAC)

In the end I refinished the mouth piece on his ocarina to make it a bit better. It's not ideal. I just could not stand the mess that the Chapstick made.

Tried uploading a photo of my ocarina but it's too big... Maybe later
Edited by bigray, 9 Feb 2018, 05:59 AM.

budoc
Inline Ocarinist
Osh
8 Feb 2018, 09:43 PM
Thanks for the idea. I can't imagine it'd have an adverse effect, but coconut oil's consistency DOES change from a liquid to a solid and it's dependent on its temperature, so that may be an issue.
Hey Osh, that is true about the change in consistency that dependent on temperature and definitely worth taking into consideration as a buildup in the wind way over time could be a nuisance to remedy as the oil solidifies in normal room temperatures.

I still might try and coat the outer part of the ocarina where your lips rest and see if any seems to make its way into the wind way at all. I will post back with the results.

By the way, it looks like that was your first post. Welcome to the forum :). I am pretty new here as well.
bigray
9 Feb 2018, 05:58 AM
I tried lubricants one, it felt terrible to play with and left the ocarina sticky. I had this problem on one of my ocarinas - takashi DAC (surprised j didn't have the problem on his TAC)

In the end I refinished the mouth piece on his ocarina to make it a bit better. It's not ideal. I just could not stand the mess that the Chapstick made.

Tried uploading a photo of my ocarina but it's too big... Maybe later
Hey bigray, thanks for replying. If you recall and don't mind answering, what kind of lubricants did you use? And also, since you refinished the mouthpiece of your Takashi DAC, is it safe to assume that you're now using saliva?

Maybe there's actually a technique to more effective keeping the mouthpiece lubricated with saliva that I haven't worked out yet. It just seems to dry up so quickly for me.

And yeah, that'd be great if you uploaded a photo! This is a bit off topic, but since you mentioned your Takashi DAC, I wanted to say I've b en considering between the Takashi DAC and the purple clay STL my next double ocarina. I'm not sure which one to get as sound samples I've heard by both sounds very full, warm, and beautiful, though all of the recordings I've heard have had a reverb effect on them. I would like to hear their tone without effects or reverb to help my decision.

But yeah, I'd love to see the Takashi DAC. There are apps you can use to compress photos pretty easily. I'm not sure if you're using a smartphone or pc. I had the same issue with uploading at first.
Edited by budoc, 9 Feb 2018, 04:00 PM.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
« Previous Topic · Question and Answer · Next Topic »
Add Reply

Find us on Twitter Facebook | Read the FAQ