Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

- News Ticker

Donations - Please consider donating to The Ocarina Network to keep us afloat. More detail can be found in this topic.
The Ocarina Network - Serving the ocarina community since April 27th 2008
Welcome to The Ocarina Network, a place for ocarina enthusiasts from all around the globe!

You're currently viewing The Ocarina Network as a guest.

If you join The Ocarina Network, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customising your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. On top of that we have a great number of music scores and backtracks for you to download.

Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Register at The Ocarina Network!

If you're already a member please log into your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Breathiness on upper register of double ocarina
Topic Started: 29 Jan 2018, 11:02 PM (191 Views)
budoc
Inline Ocarinist
Hey everyone, I recently received my Focalink double alto c regular ocarina, and I've noticed something about the tonal quality when playing notes in the upper register of the lower chamber. It seems like when I play the notes C#, D, Eb, there is a certain level of breathiness in the notes and it does not sound as clear as the others. I've read that that's the case with their ocarina in reviews.

What I'm curious about is that it seems to happen only after I've been playing for a while. When I first pick up the ocarina, the notes mentioned above match all other notes in clarity. After a few minutes, however, the tonal quality of the notes changed to a more airy sound.

I have tried in numerous ways of achieving the same tonal quality by changing my lips, air pressure, angling, etc. The only thing that seems to change it is when I put it down for a bit and start playing again. I thought maybe it's some kind of fatigue, but I don't really think that is it. I also thought maybe the buildup of moisture from breathing into the ocarina might make a difference in the tonal quality of those notes as well.
Has anyone experienced this and does anyone know of a remedy?

Thanks so much! I appreciate any feedback, advice or comments :)
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

spoonyspork
Member Avatar
L'il Tooter
Hmm... That sounds like what happens in a couple of my doubles that have problems with moisture buildup. Try putting your finger on the windway exit (so it goes across the ramp but doesn't block air coming out) then blow into the ocarina really hard.. then check and see if there's moisture on the ramp. It would be a bit odd as I've not had that problem with focalinks, but worth a shot. Is yours lacquered or glazed?

budoc
Inline Ocarinist
spoonyspork
30 Jan 2018, 01:23 AM
Hmm... That sounds like what happens in a couple of my doubles that have problems with moisture buildup. Try putting your finger on the windway exit (so it goes across the ramp but doesn't block air coming out) then blow into the ocarina really hard.. then check and see if there's moisture on the ramp. It would be a bit odd as I've not had that problem with focalinks, but worth a shot. Is yours lacquered or glazed?
Hey Spoonyspork, thank you so much for your reply. Interestingly I tried blowing into the ocarina like you said and also by holding down all the note holes and blowing into the hole where air is released and doing so brought the clearness of tone back into the upper register of thr lower chamber.

Is there any easy to to prevent, slow, or clean moisture buildup other than blowing with a lot of pressure into the ocarina? I'm worried it will build up over time to a point where blowing will not help anymore.

Also as far as I can tell it has a more matte finish but it somewhat shiny. It is the regular double alto c from Songbird. I did not get the one from Focalink's website.

Thanks again for any suggestions or insights:)

spoonyspork
Member Avatar
L'il Tooter
Ahh.. yes: sounds like a moisture build-up problem. Have never seen that in a focalink :/ (had one by Dinda that did, and have one by Hense that does). I have not been able to come up with a solution to that, sadly.

Sometimes the lacquer can run into areas it shouldn't, and can affect the tuning. I've fixed those by simply scraping it out of those areas. It's possible it dripped into the voicing, in which case it would be a *much* more delicate process to get out. Could you get a picture of the windway exit?

Like this: Posted Image

budoc
Inline Ocarinist
spoonyspork
30 Jan 2018, 05:32 PM
Ahh.. yes: sounds like a moisture build-up problem. Have never seen that in a focalink :/ (had one by Dinda that did, and have one by Hense that does). I have not been able to come up with a solution to that, sadly.

Sometimes the lacquer can run into areas it shouldn't, and can affect the tuning. I've fixed those by simply scraping it out of those areas. It's possible it dripped into the voicing, in which case it would be a *much* more delicate process to get out. Could you get a picture of the windway exit?

Like this: Posted Image
Hey, once again, thank you for replying :) I really appreciate any help I can get. It would be wonderful to have this ocarina playing all notes consistently.

And that's an interesting thought about the lacquer getting into areas it shouldn't. If that is the culprit, I wonder if I would be able to fix it. I have no experience with modifying ocarinas.

I'm attaching two photos of the windway; one with flash and one without.

Thanks! :)
Attached to this post:
Attachments: Reducedoubleflash.jpg (62.5 KB)
Attachments: Reduceddouble.jpg (45.3 KB)

spoonyspork
Member Avatar
L'il Tooter
It's no problem at all! I love modding ocarinas and encourage others to do the same :)

It does look like there is a little bit of lacquer on the windway exit. To remove it would require a veeeery thin file and careful sanding off. Then, there is no guarantee that is actually the reason you have moisture buildup (I removed as much glaze that had gotten in the windway of my Hense as I could, and it initially helped... then started up again. But I couldn't actually get a file into the curved voicing so had to carefully chip off from the other way so it's possible it would have helped if I could).

This kind of mod is of course a *huge* risk... I usually will mod someone's ocarina for them, and would mod the voicing on it if it were my own... but there's just too much risk when the voicing is involved that it will mess up someone else's ocarina so am not willing to do that :/

How long have you had the ocarina? Maybe try contacting Songbird and tell them you are having a huge issue with moisture build-up. They're usually pretty good with their customer service :)

budoc
Inline Ocarinist
spoonyspork
30 Jan 2018, 06:30 PM
It's no problem at all! I love modding ocarinas and encourage others to do the same :)

It does look like there is a little bit of lacquer on the windway exit. To remove it would require a veeeery thin file and careful sanding off. Then, there is no guarantee that is actually the reason you have moisture buildup (I removed as much glaze that had gotten in the windway of my Hense as I could, and it initially helped... then started up again. But I couldn't actually get a file into the curved voicing so had to carefully chip off from the other way so it's possible it would have helped if I could).

This kind of mod is of course a *huge* risk... I usually will mod someone's ocarina for them, and would mod the voicing on it if it were my own... but there's just too much risk when the voicing is involved that it will mess up someone else's ocarina so am not willing to do that :/

How long have you had the ocarina? Maybe try contacting Songbird and tell them you are having a huge issue with moisture build-up. They're usually pretty good with their customer service :)
I am very thankful to have an online community to turn to for help and support :)

I think I will try reaching out to Songbird to see what they can do for me as I received the ocarina only three days ago for my birthday. I think it came in the mail maybe four of five days before that. I'm really enjoying the double so far.

It seems that it takes probably 3-5 minutes of playing before I have to give a hard blow into the ocarina each time, which just seems much too often. It is probably as frequent or more than the plastic Focalink I have. And this almost never happens with my regular strawfire alto c. It can take the fun out when I have to stop mid-song to clear out the moisture buildup :/

I would try and finely sand it myself with what you're recommending, but I do fear that I may make matters worse or cause a completely new problem to arise. I will contact Songbird today and post back with my findings from them!
Hey, I contacted Songbirdocarina and they offered to exchange my ocarina for another. They also encouraged me to experiment to try and resolve the issue which I wish I could.

Does anyone have any tips or ideas on how to help clear the windway? I can try and sand it, but I don't really know what I'm doing unfortunately. I don't know exactly which spot to target.

Once again, thanks for any and all input :)
Edited by budoc, 30 Jan 2018, 10:41 PM.

spoonyspork
Member Avatar
L'il Tooter
If you 'just happen' to have jeweler's files (I did, because FIL was a jewelry maker), one is a very, very thin file with a triangle tip. I believe it's the 6th one down in this image (it's hard to tell because some have a not-flat profile but it's hard to tell when shown from the top): https://www.jewelerstoystore.com/v/vspfiles/photos/F223-0-2.jpg

You'd insert that into the windway entrance, veeeerry carefully push it through (if you meet any resistance -- i.e. it's thicker or wider than the windway: do not proceed!), and even more carefully just push it down and lightly sand off where you see the bits of lacquer.

If you decide to try, good luck and keep us posted! :)
Edited by spoonyspork, 30 Jan 2018, 11:29 PM.

budoc
Inline Ocarinist
spoonyspork
30 Jan 2018, 11:27 PM
If you 'just happen' to have jeweler's files (I did, because FIL was a jewelry maker), one is a very, very thin file with a triangle tip. I believe it's the 6th one down in this image (it's hard to tell because some have a not-flat profile but it's hard to tell when shown from the top): https://www.jewelerstoystore.com/v/vspfiles/photos/F223-0-2.jpg

You'd insert that into the windway entrance, veeeerry carefully push it through (if you meet any resistance -- i.e. it's thicker or wider than the windway: do not proceed!), and even more carefully just push it down and lightly sand off where you see the bits of lacquer.

If you decide to try, good luck and keep us posted! :)
Okay. So I have a mini update. As of yesterday evening I folded different types of paper - printing paper, receipt paper, card stock paper - and pushed it through the wind way several times hoping it would be bring about a change. It actually seemed to help. When I played the ocarina it seemed like the amount of time for the buildup was much reduced as compared with before. I played for maybe 15-20 minutes and ended up only having to clear the wind way out using my breath once or twice.

I'm going to play some today to get a feeling for whether or not the issue is resolved enough. I'm hoping it will work! If not, I'm thinking of getting the file you recommended (it's called the knife on their website?) And that is nice that you happen to have one nearby you're able to use :) it seems like a very convenient tool.

budoc
Inline Ocarinist
Hey everyone, just to give an update regarding the issue I had with my ocarina stated above, I think I found the solution. I think there must have been a buildup of something in the wind way of the instrument when I received it. Folding up papers so they fit inside the ocarina cleared out whatever it is.

The moisture buildup seems to happen very slowly now so that I feel I can live with it. Whereas it was changing the tone of the instrument after a few mere minutes of playing, now it seems to only need to be cleared out with a strong, swift blow once a day or so. And the change of tone still remains superior to how it was prior to the cleaning.

Thanks again for replying and helping me out with it. If the problem creeps back in and my current solution fails to help, I'm sure I'll be back for more advice and guidance :)

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
« Previous Topic · Question and Answer · Next Topic »
Add Reply

Find us on Twitter Facebook | Read the FAQ