Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

- News Ticker

Donations - Please consider donating to The Ocarina Network to keep us afloat. More detail can be found in this topic.
The Ocarina Network - Serving the ocarina community since April 27th 2008
Welcome to The Ocarina Network, a place for ocarina enthusiasts from all around the globe!

You're currently viewing The Ocarina Network as a guest.

If you join The Ocarina Network, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customising your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. On top of that we have a great number of music scores and backtracks for you to download.

Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Register at The Ocarina Network!

If you're already a member please log into your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Choosing between focalink regular dolce double ac, and the new redesigned dolce double ac.; I'm trying to get some input from experienced users as to which route to take:)
Topic Started: 13 Jan 2018, 06:58 PM (214 Views)
budoc
Inline Ocarinist
Hey everyone, recently I've decided I would link to take the plunge and acquire a double ocarina in addition to the two 12 hole ocarinas and one 6 hole. I have narrowed down the potential ocarinas I will buy to just two at this point, but here I've gotten a little unsure of which route to take. So I am hoping to get a little input from some more experienced users out there who know or who have either tried these ocarinas.
Does anyone have experience with the Focalink regular dolce double versus the new dolce double released in 2014?

I was first thinking about buying the regular focalink dolce double alto c. It is sold by songbird which makes shipping quick and easy as I live in the US. I thought it sounded pretty good in the review I watched on YouTube by David Ramos. It is cheaper as well. The main con of this one is that it has no neck cord hole in the side of it, whereas the new version does.

The newer version of this ocarina seems appealing as well, but I've only found limited information on it compared to the regular/original. I have found no reviews other than a first impression which was never subsequently expounded upon and there is only one audio demo of it released a few years ago in 2014. From what I understand from searching is that it has better and more seamless chamber switching, has alternate subholes for more flexible fingering, which one first impression said they heard people quite like that.

I understand the tones to be comparable between the two ocarinas. However, the new ocarina is said to be quite heavy, weighing in at 416 grams whereas the original is at 306 grams, and it was speculated that this could hurt the thumb over time. The price is also higher.

So I am wondering out of both of these ocarinas which have you had the better experience with? What are the pros and cons to you?

For anyone willing to write an answer to this, thank you very much!
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Saki
Member Avatar
Surprisingly not dead
I have the redesigned version. It has a very lightly increasing breath curve, and great chamber balance. It feels like one instrument rather than two.

It also has a right hand thumb hole for the highest note, which is great imo and makes some accidentals easier to play.

It is heavy, but not too much to handle. It takes some time to get used to, but I've had no pain from it.

It has a somewhat boring tone. It does not have dynamic volume because it is designed to be played in an ensemble setting with other ocarinas. It won't be as good of a solo instrument as something like the Forte, for example.
Edited by Saki, 13 Jan 2018, 09:30 PM.

budoc
Inline Ocarinist
Saki
13 Jan 2018, 09:29 PM
I have the redesigned version. It has a very lightly increasing breath curve, and great chamber balance. It feels like one instrument rather than two.

It also has a right hand thumb hole for the highest note, which is great imo and makes some accidentals easier to play.

It is heavy, but not too much to handle. It takes some time to get used to, but I've had no pain from it.

It has a somewhat boring tone. It does not have dynamic volume because it is designed to be played in an ensemble setting with other ocarinas. It won't be as good of a solo instrument as something like the Forte, for example.
Hey, thank you so much for your reply. I think I actually read a post of yours from quite a while back regarding this ocarina too! :)

It feeling like one instrument rather than two sounds like a big plus to me. I don't imagine the weight to be that much of an issue. I will be playing solo almost exclusively, though,

The boring tone mentioned brings me back towards the regular.
I'm not going for high volume as I would like to not disturb my neighbors more than necessary. By less dynamic do you mean the difference in decibals is less than a forte?

I think the price difference is somewhere around $60.00 including shipping. I can only find the new version on one website and the shipping is $32.00 or so. The price difference isn't too much of a problem. I would just like to know I'm getting my money's worth by getting the upgraded version.

Would you consider the "new" double an overall upgrade to the regular as far as you can tell?

And thank you again!

Saki
Member Avatar
Surprisingly not dead
It's not so much a straight upgrade, but if what makes it different appeals to you, I'd say go for the ensemble version. It is worth the extra money to me.

By less dynamic, yes essentially. The forte gets mug louder and requires more breath as you ascend the scale, while the Ensemble remains mostly flat, so the difference in volume is less noticeable.

Regarding shipping, it's quite a bit more expensive, so when I ordered mine I waited and saved up and got a bunch of ocarinas at once, since shipping remains the same.

budoc
Inline Ocarinist
Saki
13 Jan 2018, 10:29 PM
It's not so much a straight upgrade, but if what makes it different appeals to you, I'd say go for the ensemble version. It is worth the extra money to me.

By less dynamic, yes essentially. The forte gets mug louder and requires more breath as you ascend the scale, while the Ensemble remains mostly flat, so the difference in volume is less noticeable.

Regarding shipping, it's quite a bit more expensive, so when I ordered mine I waited and saved up and got a bunch of ocarinas at once, since shipping remains the same.
Thanks again for your reply! :)

This will be my birthday present to myself so I am hoping to be happy with my decision as I am not able to try both. I definitely feel like I'm closer to making a decision now. I'm leaning more towards the new version of the ocarina since it has better chamber balance and a hole for a neck cord. I worry with the fortes and more dynamic volumed ocarinas that I may bother others with the loudness of the high notes.

And that's a good idea you had for keeping shipping costs to a minimum. I wish I could find a website in the US that I could purchase from. I wonder why their regular version of the ocarina is so easy to find on different websites but their newer ocarina seems almost exclusive to the one website. It has been out for almost four years now since the release of it.

In any case, thanks again for taking the time to share your experience with me. I really appreciate it!

Bateleur
Member Avatar
Meh.

I'm a really a big fan of the ensemble series Focalink double. It's a very smoothly tuned instrument that's intuitive and predictable to play. I've been longterm loaning mine to a local friend and he tells me really often how much he loves it as an instrument. He keeps offering to buy it from me, though I just tell him I'll keep a lookout for another one that's being sold secondhand for a deal, lol.

It's nice to have as a second 2-octave ocarina in my collection, as my others are by Claudio Colombo, which play aggressively with a few quirks. It's good to have multiple instruments to suit music with differing kinds of energy. The Focalink plays very calmly, very neat and tidy.

budoc
Inline Ocarinist
Bateleur
14 Jan 2018, 01:15 AM
I'm a really a big fan of the ensemble series Focalink double. It's a very smoothly tuned instrument that's intuitive and predictable to play. I've been longterm loaning mine to a local friend and he tells me really often how much he loves it as an instrument. He keeps offering to buy it from me, though I just tell him I'll keep a lookout for another one that's being sold secondhand for a deal, lol.

It's nice to have as a second 2-octave ocarina in my collection, as my others are by Claudio Colombo, which play aggressively with a few quirks. It's good to have multiple instruments to suit music with differing kinds of energy. The Focalink plays very calmly, very neat and tidy.
Hey, thank you for the information. That is good and reassuring to hear and makes me a bit more excited about getting one! :)

I'm actually really hoping to luck out and find a second-hand one. I'll have to keep my eyes open.

If you have time, I'm curious what you like about your double Columbo over the Focalink to make that your primary double.

Once again, thanks a lot for the input :)

budoc
Inline Ocarinist
So it seems I'm actually getting the regular double first and I'll see how that goes. I'm hoping I'll be satisfied with the regular, but if not I can always upgrade, switch or sell somehow. Thanks again to both of you who helped me out with the decision! :)

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
« Previous Topic · Question and Answer · Next Topic »
Add Reply

Find us on Twitter Facebook | Read the FAQ